• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia/Werewolf Recruitment Thread | Go on the Internet and Tell Lies.

Waaait, crap I forgot Heist was a 1-game thing. I'll put everyone in that who also signed up for Avalon as standby. My bad.

I've updated the roster for you on the first page, as well, Droplet <3

But, here it is, as well

AVALON:

01. [m] Palmer_v1
02. [m] UltraJay

Still Playing
01. [m] CornBurrito - Still playing
02. [m] Kalor - Still playing
03. [m] CzarTim - Still playing
04. [m] squidyj - Still playing
05. [m] Hyperactivity - Still playing
06. [m] Lord of Castamere - Still playing

Gorlak

Banned
S5 isnt looking that far away, really

we're looking at Harry Potter's conclusion, then review thread (1 week ish), then S5 recruitment thread (2 weeks, ish), then S5 is go

I think we shouldn't raise expectations towards HP too much. The last day I was heavily in favour of making things fast (confirmed scum), but once we move on this game can still last weeks. We have like 12 people left and depending on events, we may be in for the very long run.

NV and Woofies were very quick games, but we shouldn't pressure HP players needlessly. I'm still enjoying the game and want it to last a couple of more phases :)

Swamped

Banned
Yes, HP people should take their time and enjoy - there are still plenty of spectators too!

Main games in the previous season lasted almost 2.5 months, so i have no problem with HP's pace. WW and NV just happened to end super fast.

nin1000

Banned
I think we shouldn't raise expectations towards HP too much. The last day I was heavily in favour of making things fast (confirmed scum), but once we move on this game can still last weeks. We have like 12 people left and depending on events, we may be in for the very long run.

NV and Woofies were very quick games, but we shouldn't pressure HP players needlessly. I'm still enjoying the game and want it to last a couple of more phases :)

If everything goes as planned the game will take a break from 24-27th Meaning that the day will end on the beginning of the 24th and the next day will start at the 27th.

Thoughts should be with your loved ones not with the game :)

Gorlak

Banned
If everything goes as planned the game will take a break from 24-27th Meaning that the day will end on the beginning of the 24th and the next day will start at the 27th.

Thoughts should be with your loved ones not with the game :)
That sound like a good idea :)

---
One more off hand topic:
Aw damn I had one more thing to say. Any way good luck town. I wish you all the best.
This happens when you play in more than one game. There was enough time to talk, you were active, just not in HP at the time.

nin1000

Banned
One more off hand topic:
This happens when you play in more than one game. There was enough time to talk, you were active, just not in HP at the time.

shots-fired.jpg

Yes, HP people should take their time and enjoy - there are still plenty of spectators too!

Main games in the previous season lasted almost 2.5 months, so i have no problem with HP's pace. WW and NV just happened to end super fast.

oh no i definitely agree

HP should take as much time as HP organically needs :>

im just saying new season will run after HP wraps up, more or less. but ... uh, this isnt a spider's kingdom. bearing what the community wants, we can always run more mid-season games and what not. it all depends on what everyone likes

IM ROOTING FOR THE HP SCUM TEAM BTW

JUST PUTTING IT OUT THERE.

Kawl_USC

That sound like a good idea :)

---
One more off hand topic:

Well actually it was because I was in the shower and was going to post when I got out but it had been hammered at that point. If it had been a standard day end you might have a point, but as is the day simply ended sooner than I thought it was going to. But that's cool. My activity the last day was down because it was a lackluster day and I knew I was dead that night.

Palmer_v1

oh no i definitely agree

im just saying new season will run after HP wraps up, more or less. but ... uh, this isnt a spider's kingdom. bearing what the community wants, we can always run more mid-season games and what not. it all depends on what everyone likes

I'm of the opinion that .5 games are just something we do to fill time between the main games. Review thread, and restart recruitment asap.

Sorian

Banned
I'm of the opinion that .5 games are just something we do to fill time between the main games. Review thread, and restart recruitment asap.

Have you seen how many games are on tap? That made sense when Ouro was just booting up games in his free time to pad out season to season but there is no lack of games to be run currently.

Palmer_v1

Have you seen how many games are on tap? That made sense when Ouro was just booting up games in his free time to pad out season to season but there is no lack of games to be run currently.

I'm not sure what your argument here is? The point of Mafia isn't to be inclusive of every idea out there. It's to run good games that the players will have fun playing. Maybe I'm wrong, but hopefully we'll figure it out in the review thread.

Sorian

Banned
I'm not sure what your argument here is? The point of Mafia isn't to be inclusive of every idea out there. It's to run good games that the players will have fun playing. Maybe I'm wrong, but hopefully we'll figure it out in the review thread.

The season structure is a tad outdated and is a relic of a time where we weren't sure there would be a lot of gamerunners with ideas to put out. It doesn't need to be completely dropped but it definitely needs to be re-tooled. Rushing from one season to the next where we are limiting ourselves to 3 games at a time based on a popularity contest probably isn't the best way to go about this anymore.

oh no i definitely agree

WOOOOOO YNNY

BEST SCUM TEAM IN HISTORY WOOOOOO

Palmer_v1

The season structure is a tad outdated and is a relic of a time where we weren't sure there would be a lot of gamerunners with ideas to put out. It doesn't need to be completely dropped but it definitely needs to be re-tooled. Rushing from one season to the next where we are limiting ourselves to 3 games at a time based on a popularity contest probably isn't the best way to go about this anymore.

The popularity contest was definitely a bad idea, and I say that as the person that suggested it first(i think). Whether 3 games is better than a half dozen smaller ones is up for debate, certainly. There are just certain GAF strictures that affect us in unfortunate ways. I think the biggest problem is we want to say yes to every game idea and every potential moderator, when we really need(ed) to say no more.

Swamped

Banned
I mean, we can talk about this more in the review thread but i think we need some stricter criteria on choosing GMs. Criteria can be based on availability during deadlines, making sure the game structure has been double checked by tutors, volunteering to sit games out in order to become game tutors etc.

Sorian

Banned
The popularity contest was definitely a bad idea, and I say that as the person that suggested it first(i think). Whether 3 games is better than a half dozen smaller ones is up for debate, certainly. There are just certain GAF strictures that affect us in unfortunate ways. I think the biggest problem is we want to say yes to every game idea and every potential moderator, when we really need(ed) to say no more.

I do think the bolded is true and a hard issue to deal with.

No point of not chiming in now, yes this will come up in the review thread but this doesn't necessarily have to do with any ongoing games and is just more general community discussion so perfect for this thread anyway.

Honestly, the season structure is good, to a point, they should be special games that we hold when the community needs some invigoration while an off season is good for trying more of the odd games or smaller games. Neither should be replacing the other but I think prospective game runners need to start thinking whether they are trying to run a game meant for main season, friendly to both new and old players alike and meant to draw new blood to our community, or are trying to run a game for mid-season where it's expected that most of the players know the jist about mafia and maybe want to try a tighter tuned affair (as smaller games tend to be) or want to play in something that is mechanically a bit different.

I think really though, it's about finding the key to balancing how long we stay in mid season, Hyper said it somewhere earlier that people take different amounts of time that they want to rest between games. That big gap between main season games makes it so that everyone is ready to go again while the mid season games are there to get the people who like to play more often entertained in the mean time.

I also know that Crab mentioned at one point that he hopes to blood new game runners during mid season games so that only veteran game runners are running our main season games (which are meant to be our more serious, get people involved in our community games). We probably aren't at the retention rate to do that yet but game running is hard and I think a lot of the issue that come up with running a game are things people need to learn from experience. It would be good to get there eventually, I don't think we are there yet but I think we are close.

RetroMG

We've talked about how playing in Gafia games is a commitment, but I want to emphasize that RUNNING a game is an even bigger commitment, especially since we have so many volunteers. Just as an example, I got pulled out of bed to resolve an issue with Night Vale more than once. (I was literally half asleep for one of them.) I was answering questions about Sorian's Gossip role in line for Pirates of the Caribbean while I was on vacation.

So I will say this up front - If you want to run a game, be aware that it's a bigger responsibility than you may think. Fortunately this season we had a good group that mostly worked together and covered for each other.

Palmer_v1

We've talked about how playing in Gafia games is a commitment, but I want to emphasize that RUNNING a game is an even bigger commitment, especially since we have so many volunteers. Just as an example, I got pulled out of bed to resolve an issue with Night Vale more than once. I was answering questions about Sorian's Gossip role in line for Pirates of the Caribbean while I was on vacation.

So I will say this up front - If you want to run a game, be aware that it's a bigger responsibility than you may think. Fortunately this season we had a good group that mostly worked together and covered for each other.

Mike got yelled at cause we had to wake Retro up to figure out what the hell was going on.

Darryl

Banned

Agreed. I've said it before but we need to be player first, not moderator first. Less games will probably make people care more. We are on neogaf afterall, not any old message board, and the games here have suddenly started dipping into questionable points of quality at times. We need to be more strict, not less.

I'm for a Crab dictatorship to pick rules and gamerunners. Let him be the restraint we need.

Ourobolus

Banned
We've talked about how playing in Gafia games is a commitment, but I want to emphasize that RUNNING a game is an even bigger commitment, especially since we have so many volunteers. Just as an example, I got pulled out of bed to resolve an issue with Night Vale more than once. (I was literally half asleep for one of them.) I was answering questions about Sorian's Gossip role in line for Pirates of the Caribbean while I was on vacation.

Mike got yelled at cause we had to wake Retro up to figure out what the hell was going on.

i hate you all

To this point, I really think the people that looked over the games being proposed should have been able to provide a ranking on the ones that they felt were most feasible/fun. Sure, user input is good, but a theme can entice people yet leave them blind to how much fun or balanced it can actually be. I think we need to do something like that for S5.

Sorian

Banned

That was such an odd night. I didn't know if Mike was being serious or posting oddities again (as he does every once in awhile) so I was playing it off as a joke, then Retro came by and I decided to go to bed instead lol

Also, yes, game running is a commitment, being readily available A LOT during your game is key, things can grind to a halt when you are needed and when everything is under strict time frames, having to wait on the moderator can swing games where they wouldn't have gone originally. Just something to keep in mind.

Sorian

Banned
I'm for a Crab dictatorship to pick rules and gamerunners. Let him be the restraint we need.

I think the only issue with that is that Crab wants to play too. I do think he said he was going to ascend for a bit during season 5 so he will probably do a comb through of anything during that season but you can tell he likes his play as well so it wouldn't be fair to force dictatorship on Crab.

Not trying to speak for him, that's just what I've noticed.

Palmer_v1

i hate you all

To this point, I really think the people that looked over the games being proposed should have been able to provide a ranking on the ones that they felt were most feasible/fun. Sure, user input is good, but a theme can entice people yet leave them blind to how much fun or balanced it can actually be. I think we need to do something like that for S5.

I think we were using that number scale, but even that's hard to judge, and you can't really know if you'll enjoy a game without probably spoiling it to a point you can't play in that game.

I h8 u moar.

Sorian

Banned
I think we were using that number scale, but even that's hard to judge, and you can't really know if you'll enjoy a game without probably spoiling it to a point you can't play in that game.

I h8 u moar.

I imagine that Ouro is proposing a scale that is basically 10 is a good and balanced game that everyone will love and adore and 1 is a bloody mess, enter at your own risk, you have been warned.

I don't know if that is actually what he proposed but that's what I imagined and laughed about it.

Build games without flavor in mind, if you can't hand me the set up with just generic role names and it only makes sense when you look at the flavor with it then there might be something wrong.

To this extent, I really like the idea of games having at least two mods. From my experience, you still need more people to review, but co-modding helps alleviate many of the potential issues like this

One thing is that imo the co-mod shouldn't be a secondary mod so much as an actual equal mod. There shouldn't really be any referring up to the guy above you, it sorta hurts the purpose of co-mods

Sorian

Banned
To this extent, I really like the idea of games having at least two mods. From my experience, you still need more people to review, but co-modding helps alleviate many of the potential issues like this

One thing is that imo the co-mod shouldn't be a secondary mod so much as an actual equal mod. There shouldn't really be any referring up to the guy above you, it sorta hurts the purpose of co-mods

I remember when Launch and Swamped had to go on a date and you got to take over :D

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
I kinda saw the issues with the popular vote as soon as it was suggested, but since I technically had a horse in that race, I didn't really voice my concerns.

I feel like we need an application process for game mods. Not necessarily for the games themselves, but like a quick survey to make sure that people know what they're getting into.

Hyperactivity's suggestion of co-moderating is something I know has crossed my mind before, and I think that it should be considered in cases of bigger games.

I remember when Launch and Swamped had to go on a date and you got to take over :D

Don't remind me, I'm terrible at writing, and was doing it all on mobile too. MEOW hunt was cringeworthy

I really enjoyed looking at the game as a whole, messing with the design, but if I'm ever running a game I want a co-mod that's good at writing flavor. I'm terribad at it

Sorian

Banned
Don't remind me, I'm terrible at writing, and was doing it all on mobile too. MEOW hunt was cringeworthy

I really enjoyed looking at the game as a whole, messing with the design, but if I'm ever running a game I want a co-mod that's good at writing flavor. I'm terribad at it

Everyone can come and cringe at my horrible writing whenever I run my game! I want to try writing the flavor but I know I'm shit. I was cringing at myself when I played with the flavor in ONUW. Oh well, it's fun.

I bet you get really disappointed whenever you open your role PM for any game you're in and see that you are town instead of scum.

Nah, it's really just the chats that I really enjoy. Scum chats, gossip chats, mason chats, lover chats, whatever, they're my favorite roles by far.

I also would like to be an sk one day.

I was actually really excited when I got invited to kingkitty's den of flames

Palmer_v1

Everyone can come and cringe at my horrible writing whenever I run my game! I want to try writing the flavor but I know I'm shit. I was cringing at myself when I played with the flavor in ONUW. Oh well, it's fun.

I used an age old trick on Ouro. Do the job so badly that your wife buddy will just do it for you instead.

Nah, it's really just the chats that I really enjoy. Scum chats, gossip chats, mason chats, lover chats, whatever, they're my favorite roles by far.

All the best GAFIA players have won as Town, Scum, and Neutral.

Ourobolus

Banned

I h8 u moar.

The Crab scale, however, (with the exception of #11), is assuming the games are still relatively balanced. I'm talking about determining if the games will be fun from a balance standpoint.

Sorian

Banned
The Crab scale, however, (with the exception of #11), is assuming the games are still relatively balanced. I'm talking about determining if the games will be fun from a balance standpoint.

I imagine that Ouro is proposing a scale that is basically 10 is a good and balanced game that everyone will love and adore and 1 is a bloody mess, enter at your own risk, you have been warned.

?

:D

I was actually really excited when I got invited to kingkitty's den of flames

Yeah, I can get behind this. Whenever I'm in a game without any night chat, I do get bored pretty easily. Would also enjoy being a SK/dangerous neutral one day. NX was fun and I'm proud of that win but survivors are the worst, never again pls.

nin1000

Banned
It would be a lie if I would say that I don't feel burned out. Like Retro said,it is an entirely different beast to host a game and even though I knew what I was going to get myself into it was quite a challenge nonetheless. I hope the review thread comes up soon enough. ( of course HP has to finish first and I am still having a lot of fun)
Thanks Mike,Brian, Rich and liske for giving me the mental support I needed. Love y'all

Top Bottom