• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia/Werewolf Recruitment Thread | Go on the Internet and Tell Lies.

Palmer_v1

It would be a lie if I would say that I don't feel burned out. Like Retro said,it is an entirely different beast to host a game and even though I knew what I was going to get myself into it was quite a challenge nonetheless. I hope the review thread comes up soon enough. ( of course HP has to finish first and I am still having a lot of fun)
Thanks Mike,Brian, Rich and liske for giving me the mental support I needed. Love y'all

Now they know who we are!

Who the hell is Mike?

squidyj

I don't think anyone is going out of their way to make an unbalanced game but I think people looking over games need to be more upfront when they see potential issues in a game.

I guess my point is more "what is the purpose of a balance scale if all the games are intended to be balanced?" like if we know it's not balanced we should change the game until it is balanced.

I know a number of games have not been balanced *grumbles* but I like to think that people are trying to make them balanced.

Sorian

Banned
I guess my point is more "what is the purpose of a balance scale if all the games are intended to be balanced?" like if we know it's not balanced we should change the game until it is balanced.

I know a number of games have not been balanced *grumbles* but I like to think that people are trying to make them balanced.

Yeah, I get where you are coming from. That part I don't understand either.

It's okay,
Frankie

My secrets!

Spelled with a Y though.

Ourobolus

Banned
why make unbalanced games in the first place?

Uh...right?

I'll go into more detail in it during the review thread, but let's just say that it's not always the case.

Sorian

Banned
7.5 is my new favorite number. 😏😁😍

giphy.gif

Uhm, I noticed I can't connect to my server, neither via browser nor via SSH. I can ping it, tough. Problem is, I'm currently at my family and will stay there for another 2 weeks, so if anyone has an idea how to fix it, contact me. Otherwise, you'll have to resort to manual counting again, I guess...

Coppanuva

Yeah, I think it does have its uses for very experimental games that claim no level of balance (like Mario Party when it happens), but people should be up front about it if that's the case (I know I will be, I can try balance but ultimately it will never be).

Sorian

Banned
Uhm, I noticed I can't connect to my server, neither via browser nor via SSH. I can ping it, tough. Problem is, I'm currently at my family and will stay there for another 2 weeks, so if anyone has an idea how to fix it, contact me. Otherwise, you'll have to resort to manual counting again, I guess...

RIP

The voting tool was stressing me out in the last minutes of FF day 1 with someone having mistyped their vote.

But yeah, I'm not able to pull it up either if you needed someone else to confirm.

Palmer_v1

Tell us where you live, where your home server/workstation is, where your valuables are stored, and whether you have any large unfriendly dogs or nosy neighbors.

Gafia will sort out the rest.

squidyj

I doubt there's anything any of us can do without physical access :(
Could very easily be corruption of the SD Card

Are there any open games right now?

Avalon is recruiting:

Players:
01. [m] Palmer_v1
02. [m] UltraJay
03. [m] CzarTim

Still Playing
01. [m] CornBurrito - Still playing
02. [m] Kalor - Still playing
03. [m] squidyj - Still playing
04. [m] Hyperactivity - Still playing
05. [m] Lord of Castamere - Still playing

Palmer_v1

Avalon is recruiting:

Players:
01. [m] Palmer_v1
02. [m] UltraJay
03. [m] CzarTim

Still Playing
02. [m] Kalor - Still playing
03. [m] squidyj - Still playing
04. [m] Hyperactivity - Still playing
05. [m] Lord of Castamere - Still playing

Poor Czartim.

ultron87

I'll play Avalon.

Having played a lot of that in person I'm a little concerned that the crazy level of scrutiny that is possible with super long phases and exactly recorded votes is going to make it basically impossible for evil to win (discounting the random Merlin snipe) but we can see how it goes.

Every time you ask, they push it back an hour.

I once hosted a game where the mafia could toggle Day and Night phases. It was overly complicated since votes and actions depended on the phase, and time spent in each phase contributed to the win condition.

It also didn't help that the mafia godfather (the one who could toggle aforementioned phases) was vig-killed the first Night. I had to rebalance and ended up breaking the game.

I'll play Avalon.

Having played a lot of that in person I'm a little concerned that the crazy level of scrutiny that is possible with super long phases and exactly recorded votes is going to make it basically impossible for evil to win (discounting the random Merlin snipe) but we can see how it goes.

got u

avalon's roster is updated on first page, too :>
Avalon - 10 players
01. [m] Palmer_v1
02. [m] UltraJay
03. [m] CzarTim
04. [m] ultron87

Still Playing
01. [m] CornBurrito - Still playing Heist
02. [m] squidyj - Still playing Heist
03. [m] Lord of Castamere - Still playing Harry Potter
04. [m] Kalor - Still playing Harry Potter
05. [m] Hyperactivity - Still playing Final Fantasy

I'll play Avalon.

Yeah, I've had similar concerns, but I think both sides gain and lose something with the change in medium. I've been thinking about balance a lot, but it's hard to implement when everything is purely hypothetical. Droplet and I have almost been treating the design of this game as a field test to gather data. I really hope it's fun for everybody, but there's always the possibility that it'll be a total trainwreck. This is GAFia, after all.

Seats are still available! Reserve your train ticket now!

Kalor

What if Star Wars 2.0 had the exact same roles as the first game. I wonder how long it would take people to notice.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
As a heads up, I'm giving a week for mid-season game sign-ups, then stopping new sign-ups. When all the mid-season games are then done, next season will start. Review thread going up after nin and salva finish up the finishing touches on HP.

Droplet

You got it!

Avalon is filled.

Players:
01. [m] Palmer_v1
02. [m] UltraJay
03. [m] CzarTim
04. [m] Kalor
05. [m] ultron87
06. [m] kingkitty
07. [m] Lord of Castamere
08. [m] Rynam
09. [m] Lone_Prodigy
10. [m] TheExodu5

Replacement List(?):
02. [m] squidyj - Still playing
03. [m] Hyperactivity - Still playing

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

The Crab scale was *never* a balance scale. It was a complexity scale. All games should be balanced regardless of complexity, and that's something we're going to have a talk about in the review thread. :)

Sorian

Banned
The Crab scale was *never* a balance scale. It was a complexity scale. All games should be balanced regardless of complexity, and that's something we're going to have a talk about in the review thread. :)

Ouro was proposing another scale as well. We know what your scale is for :p

Rynam

You got it!

Avalon has 3 spots available. Let me know if I screwed up.

Players:
01. [m] Palmer_v1
02. [m] UltraJay
03. [m] CzarTim
04. [m] Kalor
05. [m] ultron87
06. [m] kingkitty
07. [m] Lord of Castamere

Still Playing
02. [m] squidyj - Still playing
03. [m] Hyperactivity - Still playing

That Avalon thing sounds interesting, can I sign up?

Top Bottom