• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironmang

As far as the spoilers go, I'm not seeing any reason not to run some Sylvan Advocate deck. RGx gives Arlinn but Abzan gives good manlands, Anguished Unmaking, and Gideon. Is there any compelling reason besides Arlinn to run a RGx shell?

Santiako

As far as the spoilers go, I'm not seeing any reason not to run some Sylvan Advocate deck. RGx gives Arlinn but Abzan gives good manlands, Anguished Unmaking, and Gideon. Is there any compelling reason besides Arlinn to run a RGx shell?

Atarka's Command is pretty good.

Firemind

Naya. 4/3 doublestrike manland. 5/4 if you use gideon's ultimate.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
CdxtfpIUMAA7NAL.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I rather wonder if there's some janky deck you could make out of Ghirapur AEther Grid, Ongoing Investigation, Thopter Spy Network, Thopter Engineer, Whirler Rogue, etc.

DrArchon

Flash in a dude EOT for 6 colorless. Plus the 3 cards from the clues means you'll probably have a dude worth flashing in for that much. Sounds pretty good. Not the best body for 3G, but I'd snatch it up in draft early on.

ultron87

Green being the other investigate color is so weird. The color that doesn't like artifacts or drawing cards is making artifacts that you can sac to draw cards.

The card drawing part will be justified because I assume all the investigating will come from creatures.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Where do they expect the players to find the time to make use of all these Clues?

Like, there's so much investigating on but I assumed there'd be more stuff that "consumed" clues.

Jhriad

Where do they expect the players to find the time to make use of all these Clues?

Like, there's so much investigating on but I assumed there'd be more stuff that "consumed" clues.

Maybe Salvage Titan will be in the next block. *shrug*

Angry Grimace

Limited. I mean, technically its a combo with Tamiyo's journal in that you can sac the clues to the journal, put Emrakul in your hand and then set him down gently onto the battlefield.

Green being the other investigate color is so weird. The color that doesn't like artifacts or drawing cards is making artifacts that you can sac to draw cards.

The card drawing part will be justified because I assume all the investigating will come from creatures.

Green likes drawing cards plenty.
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Haines

Banned
Limited. I mean, technically its a combo with Tamiyo's journal in that you can sac the clues to the journal, put Emrakul in your hand and then set him down gently onto the battlefield.

Pay 2 mana to draw 1 is OK. But some of these cards require work and mana to do that they just look way to slow in what looks like a fast set so far.

Something like that briabridge card or the 1/2 get a clue for 1 are cards that I like with clues.

Firemind

The more I look at Investigate, the more I think it's busted with Mommy and Daddy Nalaar. I mean, red traditionally has no way to draw cards and now it can choose to draw cards or shock people?

Hope there will be a burn card with investigate. Something like:

Flickering Torch 1R
~ deals 3 damage to target creature or player. Investigate.

Angry Grimace

The more I look at Investigate, the more I think it's busted with Mommy and Daddy Nalaar. I mean, red traditionally has no way to draw cards and now it can choose to draw cards or shock people?

Flickering Torch 1R

Red doesn't appear to have investigate at all. Seems mostly blue, white and green.

Haines

Banned
2Yq1Nq8.png

This card is nice for common. Situational? Hell yes. But -4 attack works as long as you have creatures and you get a clue. For 2 mana this seems like a totally fine common in this set.

Flickering Torch 1R

Considering Lightning Strike is a card that they currently consider too strong for Standard, I think "Lightning Strike with a big upside" is something you can expect them to avoid printing.

I think we've seen about all the constructed playable burn spells we'll get from this set by now. We may still get a Lava Axe variant, but nothing more.

Firemind

I think we've seen about all the constructed playable burn spells we'll get from this set by now. We may still get a Lava Axe variant, but nothing more.
That can't be. I was going to avatar bet on this, but this is Wizards we're talking about. Nah there's no way that's happening since Wild Slash is about to rotate. Red has literally nothing else.

Lucario

This is... Insane?

It feels dirty to give control decks a 3-mana instant speed rampant growth from the graveyard. Doesn't even seem particularly difficult to enable, what with Magmatic Insight and tormenting voice being in standard for a bit longer.

Pretty fun synergy with Molten Vortex, too.

the whole "LOL the angels are evil now" is the exact thing everyone expected them to do, and is the exact thign an edgy 12 year old would have wrote to followup innistrad

I literally never saw anyone suggest this as the major plot point for Innistrad 2 before the teaser hit and I think if you're faulting a setting intended to evoke Gothic horror for being "edgy" then you weren't going to like it no matter what they did.

Like not saying there aren't plenty of reasons to dislike the story treatment on this block, but I think to criticize things for being obvious they need to actually be something everyone thought would happen before they were revealed. If they reveal Emrakul in this block it'd be fair to say it was "obvious" from the reveal since people picked it up from pretty early clues, but not from before announcement.

I assume
Nahiri is using the moon to summon Emrakul and this is fucking around with the sea.

Yeah, I mean, it makes sense for the moon/sea connection and all, and I'm not saying I'm off the Emmy train, it's just literally the first thing that's given me any pause on that theory.

The Helvault was made out of the Moon, right?

That's the claim.

How the fuck did I not realize that Avacyn's symbol was getting twisted into the clue symbol

AOTUmoX.png

Edit: FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK I just noticed that the clue symbol has "points" pointing to the center like the cryptoliths on Drownyard Temple

Goddamn this art direction is on fucking point

Okay, that's slick, I didn't realize either connection there. It's really astonishing how much better all the creative design is compared to BFZ.

That can't be. I was going to avatar bet on this, but this is Wizards we're talking about. Nah there's no way that's happening since Wild Slash is about to rotate. Red has literally nothing else.

Red gets a Jackal Pup with no downsides in this set. Red is still good at turning cards sideways.

Okay guys, actually the real cosmic horror is that Worth Wollpert just found this in his mom's attic:

Cdx1TmjUkAA6_Pj.jpg

thus proving that there is no God and we live in a cold, uncaring universe.

Firemind

Red gets a Jackal Pup with no downsides in this set. Red is still good at turning cards sideways.
Jackal Pup isn't as good as it once was, especially with the lack of efficient burn spells. The ability is super narrow, since the point of madness is that the madness cost is cheaper than the casting cost. As it is it's not much different from hard casting.

Lucario

Fuck it, bought into post-rotation Standard. Playsets of every manland and battleland was under $100 anyway, lol. Also picked up some Molten Vortex and Magmatic Insight to brew with.

Also, gideon is $16 for some reason? I guess there's just a ton of supply for BFZ?

bigkrev

Okay guys, actually the real cosmic horror is that Worth Wollpert just found this in his mom's attic:

Cdx1TmjUkAA6_Pj.jpg

thus proving that there is no God and we live in a cold, uncaring universe.

Meanwhile, Myr Superion is bugged right now (can be cast with any mana), and they are saying "Please don't use this card in the MOCS because we can't fix it right now"

Jackal Pup isn't as good as it once was, especially with the lack of efficient burn spells. The ability is super narrow, since the point of madness is that the madness cost is cheaper than the casting cost. As it is it's not much different from hard casting.

I agree with you, but it's pretty clear that Wizards is attempting to minimize the viability of Burn effects in Standard. They have explicitly said as much, and also just recently given us a Shock for two mana. Fiery Temper becoming a situational Lightning Bolt is as good as it's going to get for burn spells for the foreseeable future.

kirblar

Fuck it, bought into post-rotation Standard. Playsets of every manland and battleland was under $100 anyway, lol. Also picked up some Molten Vortex and Magmatic Insight to brew with.

Also, gideon is $16 for some reason? I guess there's just a ton of supply for BFZ?
Ya, it's just the supply glut cause expeditions were silly.

Grab em now if you don't have him, he should explode.

bigkrev

Ya, it's just the supply glut cause expeditions were silly.

Grab em now if you don't have him, he should explode.

If I want to pick up Abbots, Hangerbacks, and other non-Jace stuff from Origins mostly for eternal play but maybe for standard, should I wait or buy now?

Firemind

I agree with you, but it's pretty clear that Wizards is attempting to minimize the viability of Burn effects in Standard. They have explicitly said as much, and also just recently given us a Shock for two mana. Fiery Temper becoming a situational Lightning Bolt is as good as it's going to get for burn spells for the foreseeable future.
They literally have to print a new Shock in Shadows to keep Baby Jace in check. If they don't, they're unbelievably naive or ignorant or both.

kirblar

If I want to pick up Abbots, Hangerbacks, and other non-Jace stuff from Origins mostly for eternal play but maybe for standard, should I wait or buy now?
I'm not sure. Is Abbot actually seeing Standard play? Hangarback is a nothing in older formats- wait on that one.

Angry Grimace

A 2/X for R doesn't mean as much as it used to, I think. It's the same reason white weenie hasn't been good in a while - you can, in standard, play like 12 Savannah Lions and still have a bad deck.

I'm just skeptical of the Vampire aggro strategy. I don't quite see what the payoff is or how its planning to recoup cards that are being discarded constantly because despite Falkenrath Gorger giving out Madness, you still have to pay the Madness cost and if you can't, you're just discarding cards, which is horrible.

Once we get the Dark Confidant reprint I'll eat my words! I'm not even being kidding I would love it; it's such a hilarious gamble to flip the cards and the card is actually pretty narrow in application. (they probably wouldn't print that again in a world where 1 drops are 2/1s with upside.)

They literally have to print a new Shock in Shadows to keep Baby Jace in check. If they don't, they're unbelievably naive or ignorant or both.

Fiery Impulse isn't rotating and has been played more than Wild Slash since the day Origins came out.

0281b_MTGSOI_FR_HRR.gif

Angry Grimace tries to translate french, a language he doesn't know:

After the disappearance of Griselbrand, the Skirsdag adepts became impatient with the demon's requirement of ???? devotion (maybe long, extended?) Ormendahl does not uhhhhh something (require longterm patience? make them wait?)

attendre is waiting, avec is with, leur is their, requiere is the subjonctif of demanding, fit is a past form of faire (do)

After the disappearance of Griselbrand, the adepts of Skirsdag waited with impatience for another demon to demand their devotion. Omendahl didn't make them wait long.

Firemind

Fiery Impulse isn't rotating and has been played more than Wild Slash since the day Origins came out.
Decks usually play a mix of both as you want more outs for Jace. Wild Slash is still preferred in red based aggro.

I mean, what's worse? Printing Shock or letting Jace run free and oppress everything.

Angry Grimace

Decks usually play a mix of both as you want more outs for Jace. Wild Slash is still preferred in red based aggro.

I mean, what's worse? Printing Shock or letting Jace run free and oppress everything.

Red based aggro is pretty bad right now and none of the other decks run Wild Slash because it doesn't go to the dome. I think the Prowess deck runs Wild Slash? But that's another deck that's hoping to just avoid any kind of interaction.

Angry Grimace

Wild Slash can go to the dome. Fiery Impulse is not what you want maindeck in red aggro.

...isn't that what I just said? Red Aggro isn't actually good right now, so Wild Slash doesn't see much play. If you care about removing Jace, well Fiery Impulse does that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom