• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quixzlizx

I feel like I made a mistake by reading Prunus Girl instead of Haganai before work.

Although Maki is actually less cowardly than Kodaka. Fuck that guy.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
See, "figuratively "died" lacks any impact, now I even have a (fake) tag.

You don't actually say "figuratively." "Literally" is the only word in the English language you can't use figuratively.

El Sloth

Banned
I just wanted to duck in and say that Neoriceisgood is a great artist.

Not being a frequenter of this subcommunity, I'd feel remiss begging for one, but I want to complement him on his style.
Come and stay a while and read some rad comics. Ignore thread shenanigans.

Stinky

Almost done with Kaiji Arc 3, the 17 Steps Mahjong arc.

Don't know the rules of mahjong (especially winning hands) very well so this was my reaction for the most part

9fn2m.png

Didn't stop it from being incredible for the most part though.

GET YOUR ASS OUT HERE! YOU BETRAYING PIECE OF SHIT!

mercviper

Don't know the rules of mahjong (especially winning hands) very well so this was my reaction for the most part

What there's a Mahjong manga?!?! :OO I'll have to check it out.

Basic winning hands are a pair of eyes, and the rest of your hand to be a sets of three, in either 3 of a kind or consecutive straight (of the same suit) fashion. There's a couple special hands you can have that ignore these rules, and a 4 of a kind is the same as a 3 of a kind, you just draw an extra tile from the back of the wall when you announce a 4 of a kind so you can still complete the rest of your hand. Rules also get more complicated when you add in minimum scoring hands etc.

Stinky

Basic winning hands are a pair of eyes, and the rest of your hand to be a sets of three, in either 3 of a kind or consecutive straight (of the same suit) fashion. There's a couple special hands you can have that ignore these rules, and a 4 of a kind is the same as a 3 of a kind, you just draw an extra tile from the back of the wall when you announce a 4 of a kind so you can still complete the rest of your hand. Rules also get more complicated when you add in minimum scoring hands etc.

Kaiji doesn't become about mahjong for a while but definitely check out Akagi by the same artist or even Saki (which is not nearly as moe as Kaiji).

I think I understand it better now, thanks.

Akito

You don't actually say "figuratively." "Literally" is the only word in the English language you can't use figuratively.
Yeah, I didn't mean you should literally say "figuratively died" but I felt like just "died" or even "died, figuratively speaking" would not have brought across the effect the title had on me the first time I came across it. It's meant as a hyperbole.

Blood Lad 1 - 2
tumblr_mg2kn5u0rw1qmxew7o1_500.png

This is pretty funny, so glad yen picked up and picked a nice cover to make me just buy it for the sake of the cover. Staz is really good character and such, never get tired of his antics and such a good personality, the mimic dude too is good. Cant wait to see where it goes.

Pyrokles

Neo Member
Definitely read Eyeshield 21 if you haven't checked it out already, since you're reading Onepunch-man anyways.

Ever since Onepunch-Man I've had Eyeshield 21 on the list and with my decision to try more sports manga after Baby Steps I might get to it soon.

Baby Steps 148

At least Ei-chan now realizes what he needs to do but it'll most likely turn into a 6-6 set just so he can defeat Ide at his best (close matches). Also I remember reading that new chapters are only very slowly coming out, so am I remembering wrong or did I catch up at a lucky time?

Prunus Girl 39

Those scribbles reminded me of Hunter x Hunter :-(

scy

Kaiji isn't about Mahjong (though, Akagi is) though it's still worth checking out. I guess I should mention Saki too but I'm not even sure how to describe the Mahjong playing in that. It's like the PoT of Mahjong. Maybe. I think. I don't Mahjong very well.

I don't think I'm using that word right.

Also I remember reading that new chapters are only very slowly coming out, so am I remembering wrong or did I catch up at a lucky time?

We've gotten about 10 chapters since November.

Half of which were around Christmas time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah, I didn't mean you should literally say "figuratively died" but I felt like just "died" or even "died, figuratively speaking" would not have brought across the effect the title had on me the first time I came across it. It's meant as a hyperbole.
You can't use the word literally as hyperbole, period. To be less conclusory, its because the word by its terms precludes the use of it in that manner. There aren't any other words you can't except for that one.

upandaway

If you have the motivation, here! It's not that hard and it makes things surprisingly a lot more enjoyable (surprisingly because it's already so good when you don't understand the rules, that it's hard to believe :lol)

Also yeah, Saki Saki Saki Saki.

Kaiji isn't about Mahjong (though, Akagi is) though it's still worth checking out. I guess I should mention Saki too but I'm not even sure how to describe the Mahjong playing in that. It's like the PoT of Mahjong. Maybe. I think. I don't Mahjong very well.

I don't think I'm using that word right.
Saki isn't like PoT at all man.

It's a lot of "MY GIMMICK IS MORE BROKEN THAN YOUR GIMMICK" but the game flow is still well thought out and the twists and surprises are still a lot more than some silly powerlevel clashes.

Also it's really good.

scy

Saki isn't like PoT at all man.

It's a lot of "MY GIMMICK IS MORE BROKEN THAN YOUR GIMMICK" but the game flow is still well thought out and the twists and surprises are still a lot more than some silly powerlevel clashes.

Also it's really good.

Hence the waffling on the comparison. It's just definitely not "just" playing Mahjong, though. There's some absurdity to it, even if it's relatively grounded still.

It's definitely closer to regular Mahjong than Prince of Tennis is to Tennis (except Anime Tezuka Zone is totally legit).

upandaway

Hence the waffling on the comparison. It's just definitely not "just" playing Mahjong, though. There's some absurdity to it, even if it's relatively grounded still.

It's definitely closer to regular Mahjong than Prince of Tennis is to Tennis (except Anime Tezuka Zone is totally legit).
Your Neorice is literally my second favorite Neorice

7 Seeds 11, or "The Hatch"

Jb6h0.png

Hello Lost!

Arashi is becoming annoying. I hope he gets reunited with his GF ASAP, so he becomes a bit more stable. I also don't get why Botan would let people leave the group like that and risking their death. I thought the groups were meant to repopulate earth, why risk the death of a member?

One of the things you'll notice about 7 Seeds is that everyone has their own personality, and that includes not necessarily agreeing with their reasons for being sent to the future. Nobody in 7 Seeds makes a decision for no reason. You're still very early, though, and 7 Seeds is a very slow burn.

mercviper

If you have the motivation, here! It's not that hard and it makes things surprisingly a lot more enjoyable (surprisingly because it's already so good when you don't understand the rules, that it's hard to believe :lol)

...There's definitely a lot more weird in in scoring than I knew about lol. I normally play Cantonese style with a 3 fan minimum hand so that's probably why. Seeing straights & sets mixed with different sets is so uncommon with that.

I'll definitely check out Saki and Akagi as well.

Right now I'm reading Baby Steps and it's ohsogood. Eiichirou's rooster hair really bugs me though.

Lain

Top 5 best manga artists:

• Hiroaki Samura (Blade of the Immortal) Style: 9, Figures: 10, Backgrounds: 10, Layout: 8, composition: 10
  • Hiramoto Akira (Prison School) Style: 8, Figures: 9, Backgrounds: 11, Layout: 9, Composition: 10
  • Takehiko Inoue (Vagabond) Style: 10, Figures: 10, Backgrounds: 10, Layout: 9, Composition: 8
  • Inio Asano (Solanin) Style: 8, Figures: 8, Backgrounds: 10, Layout, 10, Composition: 11
  • Itoh Mami (Vita Arcana) Style: 9, Figures: 9, Backgrounds: 10, Layout: 9, Composition: 10

Special Consideration: Sakamoto Shinichi(Kokou no Hito) Style: 9, Figures: 10, Backgrounds: 10, Layout: 7, Composition: 10

I can't agree too much with the 10 to Backgrounds for Asano since it feels, to me, that he makes too much use of photoshopped RL pictures for them.

Witch Hunter 82

If this monthly release will continue i would be very happy. Alice in Wonderland, haha. This training Tasha is doing should power him up significantly.

Dynedom

Witch Hunter 82

If this monthly release will continue i would be very happy. Alice in Wonderland, haha. This training Tasha is doing should power him up significantly.

He looks significantly less young. I have to go back and check if they've been deliberately drawing Tasha more mature these past few issues.

upandaway

Baby Steps

That was a classic close match.. and Nabae comes out right at the end :lol

Those bullet points are so Ei-chan that it's tickling me in the stomach. I love this manga.

Haikyuu

Starting to feel a bit like Kuroko in there... in a way that I don't really like. I hope that's the last we'll see of groupings and titles like "four strongest teams", "best defense" and "three best players"

Haikyuu

Starting to feel a bit like Kuroko in there... in a way that I don't really like. I hope that's the last we'll see of groupings and titles like "four strongest teams", "best defense" and "three best players"

Why, what other goal would there be in a sports manga than to defeat the strongest teams which specialize in having either key players or strong defense, offense etc?

upandaway

I don't have much beef with the titles themselves but in how they're used, how often they're used, and how many of them there are. That's why this is a non-issue right now, I'm just saying what I don't want to happen.

He looks significantly less young. I have to go back and check if they've been deliberately drawing Tasha more mature these past few issues.
I would say it´s a change of art direction than anything. He looks older since the hearing of the WH trial iirc.
Why, what other goal would there be in a sports manga than to defeat the strongest teams which specialize in having either key players or strong defense, offense etc?

You know, that´s both good and bad. On one way, you have only 3 players on a team who can anything and the rest are trash while on the other hand there are always players more talented, and skilled than others. But it´s always wrong to only concentrate on the skilled ones and leave the rest of the team with very little attention. In Kuroko it´s one or 2 players who make the team win, and that´s really bad writing. There´s barely any development for the rest of the team. The thing that i liked the most about the prince of tennis was that even though the cast was huge, many of the cast played and showed what they got.

scy

Bus Hashiru - Cute short stories. Really enjoyed the first two the most but I suppose that's mainly due to them being more to the point.

Soma

Horimiya 14

Hmm. I wonder if they're actually gonna go somewhere with that pseudo-confession.

Cute chapter as always though nonetheless.

Kurita

But it´s always wrong to only concentrate on the skilled ones and leave the rest of the team with very little attention. In Kuroko it´s one or 2 players who make the team win, and that´s really bad writing. There´s barely any development for the rest of the team.

I agree. It's not like there were 20 players on the team, so you would think it'd be easier to focus on every character.
I mean, they managed to do this in Eyeshield 21 with more than 11 players on the main team. It was different though, since we followed the team building, while in Kuroko/Haikyuu!! the main teams already had a full roster.

Haikyuu!!
Still a decent chapter, introducing the new teams.
Will the author ever learn how to draw more than 2 different types of faces?

One of the things you'll notice about 7 Seeds is that everyone has their own personality, and that includes not necessarily agreeing with their reasons for being sent to the future. Nobody in 7 Seeds makes a decision for no reason. You're still very early, though, and 7 Seeds is a very slow burn.

I noticed that. I'm still a bit in the dark with Natsu, because she's more of a burden, but I can't wait to learn more about the rest. The former prisoner and hunter of Team Summer B seems particularly interesting and I also want to know what's up with Team Spring's sleeping beauty, but that's because I know nothing about them right now. The rest of Team Spring seems rather boring at this point and I'm not quite sure where Hana gets her confidence from. She saw the ruins and flooded city and yet she's sure that she'll meet Arashi again.

You know, I probably would look differently at this manga, if I didn't know that it was so good. I hope my expectations aren't too high now.

Akito

(G) Edition

The latest manga from Mizuki Kawashita, the renown author of popular series like Ichigo 100%, Anedoki and much more. It's a story about a young girl who wants to become a shoujo mangaka but finds out she'll actually be a famous ero mangaka in the future. It's an amusing setting coming from Kawashita because you cannot help but wonder if there are some autobiographic elements in this. Somehow I enjoyed this weird mixture of Doraemon, Bakuman and plenty of fanservice, more than most of her other manga. The non-ending was bleh though.

scy

(G) Edition

The latest manga from Mizuki Kawashita, the renown author of popular series like Ichigo 100%, Anedoki and much more. It's a story about a young girl who wants to become a shoojo mangaka but finds out she'll actually be a famous ero mangaka in the future. It's an amusing setting coming from Kawashita because you cannot help but wonder if there are some autobiographic elements in this.

Hahaha, oh wow.

The non-ending was bleh though.

:( :( :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom