• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Nisekoi 55 - Berserker Tsugumi needs to show up again as a reminder that this story has a mafia vs yakuza background.

Fuck Hikaru No Go and its
unsatisfying as fuck "ending"

It was good though.

The
ending was rather unsatisfying. A lot about the last arc felt rather underwhelming in general, really

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nisekoi 55

Stupid people doing stupid things! (could describe any chapter)

Don´t be such a douche. Best art my ass. The manga is fucking racist, with very little to no substance, and the only character that´s worth a damn is Hiruma. The rest of the cast is garbage. But apparently you are such a douche that every time i say anything that does not suit you and some people here you go on the attack. I am sick and tired of you and other people´s character assassination of me.

you know, people would stop "assassinating" your character (lol) if you learned to take a joke instead of getting your panties up in a twist all the time.

or actually practise what you preach and give more than some throw-away comment about a manga. wasn't it you who decried that there is so very little actual analysis in these threads?

Can anyone explain to me why Eyeshield is racist. Is it as racist as how Dragonball portrayed humans as inferior to the master race Saiya-jins.

Seriously though, it is as racist as Daffy Duck, a clearly black character always playing the second fodder to the white Bugs Bunny.

Wiseblade

Can anyone explain to me why Eyeshield is racist. Is it as racist as how Dragonball portrayed humans as inferior to the master race Saiya-jins.

Seriously though, it is as racist as Daffy Duck, a clearly black character always playing the second fodder to the white Bugs Bunny.

iGNgb86AhVijF.bmp
iMGKjfgRtsMud.bmp

ipi89kdOmSHrZ.bmp

I remember the day i first made this connection.

My mind was blown for a while

The racism in Eyeshield (and Ippo for that matter) was always in some silly pseudo-science way and never hateful. It was always like "son, you are the weaks because you got no black muscles" - "darn, guess I gotta train some more". and that's it.

Ah, that.

Seems more like misinformation to me. Although there has been studies shown that African Americans have significantly more fast twitch muscles that have helped them having an advantage over some sports.

But not in terms of pure strength, since that requires more slow twitch muscles. Ah well. The mangaka just needed to research better.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/athletics/the-science-of-sprinting-8005992.html

The racism in Eyeshield (and Ippo for that matter) was always in some silly pseudo-science way and never hateful. It was always like "son, you are the weaks because you got no black muscles" - "darn, guess I gotta train some more". and that's it.

Yep. It is as racist as Naruto being inferior to Neji and Sasuke due to not having an advanced bloodline.

Ah, that.

Seems more like misinformation to me. Although there has been studies shown that African Americans have significantly more fast twitch muscles that have helped them having an advantage over some sports.

But not in terms of pure strength, since that requires more slow twitch muscles. Ah well. The mangaka just needed to research better.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/athletics/the-science-of-sprinting-8005992.html

he's done his research pretty well then because Panther (rofl) is pretty damn fast because of his "black muscles".

It was her own fault, didn't think of the concequences, yes it was good to follow her dream, but she got got it out of being spoilt, selfish and spiteful.

I think the point was that if she'd shown that kind of desperation/resolve to someone like the AKB producers instead of the guy she's currently under, she wouldn't have turned out as shallow as she's finding herself to be right now.

Her producer had a clear, morally imbalanced vision of the idol he wanted her to be, and she trusted him(or got sucked in by him) and got roped/molded into that. The part where it's her fault is that she could have caught on and handled that persona like an act, or just outright refuse to become 'that kind of idol', or a dozen other things--but that would require that she recognize what was happening to her(and obviously she didn't). It suggests that her desperation blinded her to anything except 'reaching the top' and her producer took advantage of that to make her into 'the monster'.

Road to hell, (sort of)good intentions, etc.

Well he does now anyway and is as strong/stronger than them LOL

I hated when that happened. One thing that I loved about Naruto was that he was weak. He had to work in getting stronger.

but now "OH YOUR BLOODLINE HAS A SPECIAL CHAKRA THAT HELPS YOU CONTROL THE KYUUBI YAY"

Geh.

Also that he can potentially heal Sasuke now by just having the dude to bite him. Seems like Kishimoto is just screaming for that as a yaoi doujinishi plotpoint.

you know, people would stop "assassinating" your character (lol) if you learned to take a joke instead of getting your panties up in a twist all the time.
It´s fun the first and the second time, but the joke stop becoming funny after a 100 times.
Boo hoo someone does not like one piece as much as i do and does not like perverted smut manga, i´m so butthurt so i´m going to cry in a corner

I know, i know, there there little boy.

I hated when that happened. One thing that I loved about Naruto was that he was weak. He had to work in getting stronger.

but now "OH YOUR BLOODLINE HAS A SPECIAL CHAKRA THAT HELPS YOU CONTROL THE KYUUBI YAY"

Geh.

Also that he can potentially heal Sasuke now by just having the dude to bite him. Seems like Kishimoto is just screaming for that as a yaoi doujinishi plotpoint.

Fuck that. Outside of the bloodline thing, I hated that Naruto was an idiotic weakling and one trick pony. Not quite on the level of Ichigo (who only has one attack), but still ridiculous.

Naruto sucks as an overall ninja. He has no actual skill, just the Kyuubi modes that give you the illusion he has more techniques than he really does. He has no diverse move set other than ZOMG RASENGAN!

If he were more like Kakashi, a whole variety of techniques, both original and elemental in nature, calculating, then he would've been much better.

I was naively filled with hope and was excited for timeskip Naruto getting trained by Jiraiya, Sasuske getting trained by Orochimaru and Sakura getting lessons from Tsunade, "It's going to be the 3 legendary Sennin next generation" I thought.

And I got strung along to, Naruto's training sessions, the Pain arc, by time I became a cynical piece of piss about the series I was too far in.

Still enjoy the odd chapter when Naruto is busting chops and not talk no Jutsu'ing everyone.

But shippuden did start out with all you wanted, though thankfully kishimoto didn't waste time delivering us with sakura screentime beyond the scenes of her getting in the way and "lying". To be the next legendary sannin, doesn't that imply Sasuke would need to have full redemption...so it could still and most likely happen.

Fuck that. Outside of the bloodline thing, I hated that Naruto was an idiotic weakling and one trick pony. Not quite on the level of Ichigo (who only has one attack), but still ridiculous.

Naruto sucks as an overall ninja. He has no actual skill, just the Kyuubi modes that give you the illusion he has more techniques than he really does. He has no diverse move set other than ZOMG RASENGAN!

If he were more like Kakashi, a whole variety of techniques, both original and elemental in nature, calculating, then he would've been much better.

But watching Naruto working hard and kinda succeding was still more fun than watching Ichigo spaming the Getsuga.

I can't believe how fun the first few chapters of Naruto and Bleach were. Especially Bleach had a lot more humor and I liked the "raw" art more as well.

Wiseblade

But watching Naruto working hard and kinda succeding was still more fun than watching Ichigo spaming the Getsuga.

I can't believe how fun the first few chapters of Naruto and Bleach were. Especially Bleach had a lot more humor and I liked the "raw" art more as well.

I definitely preferred Kubo's more polished character art at the time I dropped bleach to the stuff he was putting out at the start. It was nice, but the characters all looked a little juvenile. Which was probably more suited to the theme at the time, compared to the "why me cry" seriousness on people's faces now.

Naruto's art is nowadays is totally sterile, but I don't think the rat-faced characters at the beginning are really better.

d[-_-]b

Banned
Anyone feeling adventurous and willing to give me feedback on my android app focused on manga reading, feel free to shoot me a pm. Sorry if anyone feels this isn't appropriate, I'll remove my post.

I definitely preferred Kubo's more polished character art at the time I dropped bleach to the stuff he was putting out at the start. It was nice, but the characters all looked a little juvenile. Which was probably more suited to the theme at the time, compared to the "why me cry" seriousness on people's faces now.

Naruto's art is nowadays is totally sterile, but I don't think the rat-faced characters at the beginning are really better.

I don't know, his art seemed a bit more genuine to me, compared to what he draws today.

Today it's all smooth and stylized and a big fat splash of black ink as an attack.

At least he always hated drawing backgrounds, even back then.

Steroyd

But shippuden did start out with all you wanted, though thankfully kishimoto didn't waste time delivering us with sakura screentime beyond the scenes of her getting in the way and "lying". To be the next legendary sannin, doesn't that imply Sasuke would need to have full redemption...so it could still and most likely happen.

No it started by teasing about the growth of Naruto and Sakura, which meant diddly squat when they both first met up with Sasuske.

Orochimaru wasn't exactly a pure hearted good guy when they got the legendary Sannin title, besides it's not the title itself that I had hyped myself on it was the potential three way battle between Naruto, Sakura and Sasuske that I was looking forward to.

But meh, eye hax and bloodlimits and all that. >_>

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I wouldn't say ES21 (and I assume Ippo) is maliciously racist, but it's pretty clear they make heavy use of stereotypes for dramatic effect, which could be attributed to the fact that Japan is a lot less racially sensitive than the U.S., and that their exposure to blacks is limited to imported media (where they're frequently portrayed as naturally athletic).

So it's "racist", but not racist racist. Also, Apollo was portrayed as a cigar smoking white power racist guy as well, mostly for comedic effect but it does leave a bad taste in our mouths as amurkans.

the idiot thing is what helped it work though (that plan vs Zabuza was godlike at the time given what was there to work with)but i admit he was too much of an idiot to my liking (not knowing any of the basics? really). The guy was a posterchild next to Lee about hardwork but not anymore.

i will agree with the lack of a diverse moveset and thats really dissapointing.

The best oppurtunity for that would be the skip where the J man trains him but he learned jackshit (dude didn't even polish the basic ninjas skills :/ )

in before Grimace starts to complain about having no need for that diversity :p

So it's "racist", but not racist racist. Also, Apollo was portrayed as a cigar smoking white power racist guy as well, mostly for comedic effect but it does leave a bad taste in our mouths as amurkans.

At least he wasn't overweight with a box of mcdonalds fries near him i guess.

Wiseblade

OK, there was this one chapter where he shot a rock. But right after that he's back to chasing down tanks again!

The art's pretty nice and the running themes of secret military experiments and platoons along with the long-term consequences of war are interesting.

Dark Air 19-40

Noooooo, i just caught up to a very interesting part and now i have to wait :(

Naruto

Naruto has never been a one trick pony. Hell even in the fight against Zabuza he used both substitution jutsu and shadow clone jutsu. People concentrate too much about shadow clone, and rasengan and forget other jutsu. People forget that Naruto has used summoning, sage mode and sage mode hand to hand technique, kyuubi chakra and techs.

Naruto has shown to be a very smart fighter. He showed that in the beginning of the manga when he learned an advanced shadow clone technique from reading the scroll once. He also outsmarted Zabuza, Kiba, the genius Neji, Nagato,. So Naruto have used intelligent strategies to defeat his enemies.

Kakashi´s only technique is Chidori and Raikiri, the other he stole using his sharingan. He´s not a good example. If you want to use a good example, use the Professor, aka, the third hokage who actually mastered a 1000 jutsu. But why Naruto should master inferior jutsu anyway? His jutsu are all A and S class jutsu. Naruto is the only one who ever mastered the Rasen Shuriken, so why would he learn inferior jutsu like wind blast technique, while he can use bijodama and blow his enemies up. Seriously these critic of Naruto has never seemed reasonable to me, especially when the manga shows otherwise to these critics.

Steroyd

i will agree with the lack of a diverse moveset and thats really dissapointing.

The best oppurtunity for that would be the skip where the J man trains him but he learned jackshit (dude didn't even polish the basic ninjas skills :/ )

in before Grimace starts to complain about having no need for that diversity :p

Not to mention the stupid upgrades through training arcs.

Wind Training = Rasenshuriken (oh noes it wrecks my hand when I use it)

Sage Mode = Yay now I can throw my Rasenshuriken!

Okay there's more to Sage mode like the sensory and improved strength and speed but i don't recall him utilising it smartly in a fight to the degree he would have in part 1 although there's still plenty of chapters to get that right.

upandaway

I wouldn't say ES21 (and I assume Ippo) is maliciously racist, but it's pretty clear they make heavy use of stereotypes for dramatic effect, which could be attributed to the fact that Japan is a lot less racially sensitive than the U.S., and that their exposure to blacks is limited to imported media (where they're frequently portrayed as naturally athletic).

Japan is so silly with these kinds of things. It's somewhat entertaining to see mangaka freak out over these things without any sense of real perspective.

It should be taken with the saltiest of grains! Then it's really not that bad.

I'm not sure that it's because of Japan's exposure though.. they do the same thing with gay people (but they usually hide that as "its own thing" like One Piece or MOTHER 3). I think it's just otaku culture constantly exaggerating itself (based on works that were created previously) and then ending up at some other end of the rainbow after a while.

Because spamming the same attack over and over again is simply boring, Viking.

But that´s true for most character who are heavily shown in any battle manga. I mean seriously, take a main character from any battle manga, and see how their moves become old because they fight and spam the same moves all the time.

d[-_-]b

Banned
But that´s true for most character who are heavily shown in any battle manga. I mean seriously, take a main character from any battle manga, and see how their moves become old because they fight and spam the same moves all the time.

Lol this reminds me why I always wondered, why didn't Ippo just Dempsey roll his way to victory... waiting on Ippo backlog to build before I touch it again, just too good to wait a week.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Molester Man

Kansai starts to become annoying. So anime.

upandaway

Molester Man 15

Wowowow wow wow, wow. Molester ACCEPTANCE™.

I really didn't expect Kansai to react the way she did to the "do you love me". Once that happened he was on the highway already.

At this point she's worse at excuses than Molester. She gave up on the Loli wall of defense pretty fast and the Undie wall was made of, like... feathers.
There's a microscopic chance of this happening, but if Loli gives her the OK brave face, she'll probably go for it. Now the question is whether he settles things better with Loli (because he was such an ass), or stays quiet like a poopface for two weeks.

The fact there are so many chapters left makes me think it won't go over that well. Talking to Loli and getting an answer would take maybe 3 chapters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom