• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Confession time

I have never read or seen any version of Full Metal Alchemist, I'm planning to start reading the manga tonight. Is it worth the read or it the anime versions that are worth checking out?

Confession time

I have never read or seen any version of Full Metal Alchemist, I'm planning to start reading the manga tonight. Is it worth the read or it the anime versions that are worth checking out?

I would go with manga but the anime is very good.

FMA: Brotherhood cuts some initial content because of the first adaptation.

Kusagari

Molester Man

Kansai with the excuses. It's pretty obvious at this point that Loli's the one mucking things up. He needs to make things right with her before Christmas.

Wiseblade

Molester Man 15

Salvaged from the brink of despair. But he really needs to settle things properly with Loli in the next two weeks.

I would go with manga but the anime is very good.

FMA: Brotherhood cuts some initial content because of the first adaptation.

How far into the manga should I be then to start watching brotherhood so I don't miss anything?

FMA Brotherhood is worth watching, and such great music (Golden Time Lover best fma brohood op). Suggest watching fma bro hood instead of reading as it is really visually pleasing high quality anime.

Considering how short FMA is (104 chapters) I'll probably be able to read the whole thing in a few days. I'll check out FMA:B when I finish though. I have next week off and I was looking for something meaty to watch anyways.

upandaway

Confession time

The problem with FMA is that the first anime diverged in the middle, and then the second version decided that everyone watched the first version and rushed through everything before the first version's divergenocide.

The rest of Brotherhood is pretty great but.. well. If you're fine with switching mediums midway, I'd go manga and then switch to anime when appropriate (I think episode 17? not sure)

retcon bonus: Amazon is selling a really incredible collection of the manga, but I guess that's unreasonable when you don't know if you'll even like it

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
FMA Brotherhood is worth watching, and such great music (Golden Time Lover best fma brohood op). Suggest watching fma bro hood instead of reading as it is really visually pleasing high quality anime.

My wife had Golden Time Lover play at our wedding reception. It kind of stuck out against all the Journey, Van Halen and GNR I selected.

How far into the manga should I be then to start watching brotherhood so I don't miss anything?

I dont remember how much is cut but I guess after reading Volume 1 you could go to the anime.

I recommend reading the manga because they cut some small scenes here and there through the anime. For example a funny moment that I loved in the manga wasnt in the anime.

The problem with FMA is that the first anime diverged in the middle, and then the second version decided that everyone watched the first version and rushed through everything before the first version's divergenocide.

The rest of Brotherhood is pretty great but.. well. If you're fine with switching mediums midway, I'd go manga and then switch to anime when appropriate (I think episode 17? not sure)

I actually liked the second half of the first series even if it was just filler (the animated movie was fucking weird though ).

So for me i would just read the manga so you don't have to go through the bullshit.

If you want to see the anime then 1st half of the 1st series until it diverges then brotherhood at the point of the diversion to finish it up. After that the you could check the rest of the first series and that movie if you still care.

Kreed

Molester Man 15:

Very good chapter. Molester Man dodged the rejection bullet as well as he could given his personality and the deadline gives a good enough time frame for Kansai to think about her feelings (if any) for Molester. Definitely gives more possibility for the "Kansai ending", depending on when the Christmas deadline is shown in the manga (obviously the more chapters until then the better, otherwise we'll probably be going down "another route").

jman2050

Molester Man 15

I loved this chapter. Kansai and Molester are clearly out of their element there but Molester managed to improvise a compromise that I imagine will form the final conflict in this story (along with the business with Loli).

I was able to stay friends with someone who rejected me, so it's not like that's impossible, but even in that case it clearly isn't the same relationship as before, so I'm glad they touched on that subject. I like how I'm not sure how the story is going to end, cause there are a lot of potential directions to go and all of them are valid to some extent.

Molester Man 15

Hey, Molester wasn't the awkward one for once and was both direct and in-charge.

I think he level'd up for this chapter or something.

Cwarrior

Confession time

The best thing to do is read the manga then watch brotherhood later if you want or switch over to anime after around lin vs bradley fight, avoid the first series as majority of it is just one massive really bad filler shit except for nina part that parts great.

Countrouble 34
shut4.png

Main girl is 10x better when she's seriously pissed off.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You know, I had a problem like this with the whole silences and putting awkward stuff off. When I was in middle school.

"Tell me your feels on December 25" is the most anime shit ever.

Ashodin

Molester Man 15:

Very good chapter. Molester Man dodged the rejection bullet as well as he could given his personality and the deadline gives a good enough time frame for Kansai to think about her feelings (if any) for Molester. Definitely gives more possibility for the "Kansai ending", depending on when the Christmas deadline is shown in the manga (obviously the more chapters until then the better, otherwise we'll probably be going down "another route").

This was a really good chapter. The tension was breathtaking, really. Kansai really was trying to find every excuse not to just say "okay, let's try dating". She wanted to paint Molester as a bad guy, but she really can't. So when he burst out with "I care about you the most!" it said to her "he cares about Miss Undie and Loli, but Kansai is where his heart lies" meaning, he won't give up on their friends even if they date.

Loli can secretly hope to be Molester's next date if Kansai and them don't work out, and Miss Undie plays mediator.

FMA Volume 1-3

Series starts really well, Ed and Al have great chemistry and the other main characters all are very interesting and unique. Series has done a good job so far of building it's world and establishing it's rules and history. This is the first time I can think of that I've read a monthly series so it's nice to see so much detail and content crammed into each chapter.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Can anyone explain to me why Eyeshield is racist. Is it as racist as how Dragonball portrayed humans as inferior to the master race Saiya-jins.

Seriously though, it is as racist as Daffy Duck, a clearly black character always playing the second fodder to the white Bugs Bunny.
Japanese comics tend to paint every race as physically superior to the Japanese. Usually by playing into stereotypes hardcore.

Heck, Ippo virtually opened with "He's strong enough to throw an uppercut only a westerner can usually do."

Akito

Molester Man
Dude has grown so much since the beginning, we can actually see the Kansai route opening up now. But since the story is supposed to end on New Years day, we can probably expect at least one more twist.

Kreed

Molester Man 15:

"Tell me your feels on December 25" is the most anime shit ever.

As storybook as it is, it does fit with Molester's MO (giving himself time to seek help from his internet collective) so it's more acceptable/believable that he (real or not) said it vs if Kansai/someone else in this series said it.

Ashodin

Molester Man 15:

As storybook as it is, it does fit with Molester's MO (giving himself time to seek help from his internet collective) so it's more acceptable/believable that he (real or not) said it vs if Kansai/someone else in this series said it.
Plus Molester made even fucking mention in the chapter that he watched Anime on his "coming of age day". So obviously he's seen that shit before.

jman2050

The World God Only Knows 11-46

I'm really liking this. I feel like with how long this series has been going on (looking at the chapter count) that things may stagnate in the future, but I'm enjoying what I'm reading right now. Keima is all sorts of boss.

Updated rankings: Bookworm > Normal > Tsundere > Idol > Teacher > Sprinter > Doll > Schizo. Totally on Team Haqua, Elsie is zzzzz.

Dresden

I'm really liking this. I feel like with how long this series has been going on (looking at the chapter count) that things may stagnate in the future, but I'm enjoying what I'm reading right now. Keima is all sorts of boss.

Updated rankings: Bookworm > Normal > Tsundere > Idol > Teacher > Sprinter > Doll > Schizo. Totally on Team Haqua, Elsie is zzzzz.

welcome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjafuChw3bI

Molester Man 15

I loved the running sidestory of Miss Understanding eavesdropping on their conversation, and how he would randomly start focusing on her when they were in the middle of talking.
Molester Man really knows how to live the life:
iezs2.png

I don't have other people's in depth rankings. It just goes Bookworm> The Rest.

I'm really liking this. I feel like with how long this series has been going on (looking at the chapter count) that things may stagnate in the future

With a couple arcs aside it actually gets progressively better, not worse.

Just wait until you reach the Goddess Saga.

Just read It Is Not My Fault That I Am Not Popular and was quite pleasantly surprised.

It is a Slice of Life comedy about a girl, Tomoko, who is seemingly unable to function in a social context.
So most of the manga plays inside of her head in monologues mostly about her fears her insecurities and her general misanthropy but sometimes the action spills into the outside world.
Kinda like spaghetti from sleeves. Seriously the spaghetti in this manga is indescribable.
Anything I could write would just not be adequate.
However most of these awkward situations are set in a humorous context doubly so as Tomoko is kind of an huge asshole (I totally loved her habit of killing ants as a touch of her character. It is quite overblown but totally works somehow. Also she doesn't even manage to kill any insects "on screen" IIRC.)

So most of the laughs are had at her expense but I think sometimes the manga deliberately crosses a line and forces/allows the reader to pity her.

I also think that it is not just entirely for pandering reasons that the main character is a girl.
Firstly Tomoko has absorbed a lot of nerd culture quite uncritically and thus ends up being a (unfortunately not so rare) female misogynist, which plays into her self-loathing and her relationship with others. She calls her best and only friend, who cares more for her than she deserves, a bitch (in her head of course, where she refers to most other girls as bitches) while she also clearly enjoys the self gratification of not being one.
Secondly I do not think that the manga fetishizes her a lot, but as Ultimadrago said maybe there is a gap between me and the target audience. However the art, while being kinda simplistic, goes out of its way in order to show her unkempt, unwashed and unclean state.
And lastly in some chapters the manga shows surprising amounts of awareness of feminist issues and thinking.

FMA 4-7

Bradley is the ultimate bad ass, and that twist with his eye holy crap that was something I was not expecting to see. I'm also interested in seeing when Ed and Al's father makes an appearance, the series has hyped him up quiet a bit so far I want to see how it pays off.

Stulaw

Sora no Otoshimono 66

Wow, the Master of Synapse actually having feelings? I don't believe it. Still,
sad to see the Harpies go , although it could have been stopped.

bigkrev

I'm loving Molester Man, and I loved Masturbation master. Anyone have reccomendations for where to go next (preferably non-ecchi?)

Bleach

So, a few weeks back I remember some making comments about why would SS go through all the trouble of hunting down Ginjo when he would just appear in SS. Well, the answer is simple. SS intended for his death to be permanent. However, Ichigo is the one who kept Ginjou from being dead even as a soul. When Ichigo requests Ginjou's body in the anime, Rukia states its synonmous with pardoning Ginjou which implies that keeping the body of the deceased in SS will prevent the soul from going to SS.

As far as why the have their fullbring items, Jackie stated she buried Giriko with his watch. I imagine Tsukishima and Ginjou were buried with theirs as well. As for being able to use fullbring as a soul, the hollow reiatsu is embedded deep in their soul. I imagine once you have the necessary hollow reiatsu and knowledge, it's a permanent fixture of your powers. However, all three should see a boost given they are no longer bound by human durability and stamina.

Molester Man 16

:lol :lol dat JoJo reference. Cant wait for the inevitable Loli, Kansai and Molester reunion to solve everything.

I want the next chapter now.

wonzo

Banned
Molester Man 16

molesterman16.jpg

lmao

I wonder why Kansai would lie about the stalker thing like that... I guess we'll find out after that CLIFFHANGER!

El Sloth

Banned
Kongou Banchou

What a manly fucking comic this is. And cheesey, but the good kind.

Except Hikyou Banchou. Ain't nothing cheesy about him. Pure badass. Well, okay there's the jacket, but he manages to pull it off! Dude is like a Japanese highschool Batman who has no qualms about killing you. He's the best part of the series.

I enjoyed how the really stupid hair that the protaginist and main atagonist have was explained.

Molester Man: 15

The beautiful bastard actually made some progress. Now to see if it'll be a Kansai christmas or a Sachiko christmas.

Kongou Banchou

What a manly fucking comic this is. And cheesey, but the good kind.

Except Hikyou Banchou. Ain't nothing cheesy about him. Pure badass. Well, okay there's the jacket, but he manages to pull it off! Dude is like a Japanese highschool Batman who has no qualms about killing you. He's the best part of the series.

I enjoyed how the really stupid hair that the protaginist and main atagonist have was explained.

He is the best.

Molester Man 16

I've missed Glasses. He was a cool bro.

Miss Understanding is definitely the worst of the trio. Slow-witted and annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom