• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumbyugi

For all the crap that everyone talks about still reading Naruto or any of the big 3, I have no clue how you guys still read Fairy Tail. I couldn't read past like 3-4 arcs, whenever it wasn't cliché and dumb it was just plain boring.

I read it because I like the art and because I like most of the characters. That being said I haven't read it since November last year so maybe I don't like it.

For all the crap that everyone talks about still reading Naruto or any of the big 3, I have no clue how you guys still read Fairy Tail. I couldn't read past like 3-4 arcs, whenever it wasn't cliché and dumb it was just plain boring.

When I started reading it, I thought it was mindless fun, but then I caught up and had to read it on a weekly basis. Not that fun anymore.

Wiseblade

Haikyuu!! 39
That
Was
AMAZING!!!!

http://i.imgur.com/rlm4I.png[IMG]

The shot with the crow behind Hinata was great. It reminded me of the Devil Bat in Eyeshield 21.
I, for one, look forward to an anime adaptation.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Haikyuu takes a lot of cues from ES21, but the art doesn't compare and I'm just not getting attached to the cast in the same way. ]

But now I'm just preaching to the choir...

^I'm reallly wanting to read Haikyuu, as I love Volleyball, but I have too much I'm wanting to read right now.

When I started reading it, I thought it was mindless fun, but then I caught up and had to read it on a weekly basis. Not that fun anymore.

That's how I was for the first couple arcs, but when it got to the tower arc with Erza's(I think that's her name, armor chick) past and all that stuff it just kind of got dumb with all the end stuff.

It's understandable to still be reading it, it's hard to stop reading something your used to reading for a while, but I'm surprised the amount of crap Naruto gets when Fairy Tail mostly goes on unchecked. At least until something overly dumb happens.

dumbyugi

That's how I was for the first couple arcs, but when it got to the tower arc with Erza's(I think that's her name, armor chick) past and all that stuff it just kind of got dumb with all the end stuff.

It's understandable to still be reading it, it's hard to stop reading something your used to reading for a while, but I'm surprised the amount of crap Naruto gets when Fairy Tail mostly goes on unchecked. At least until something overly dumb happens.

People complain about Fairy Tail every week, there's just less people reading it compared to Naruto so it gets crapped on less.

I think the difference is that no one here pretends that Fairy Tail was good. We Naruto fans are only so vocal, because of the decline in quality. FT never had that problem.

Steroyd

Fairy Tail

I could rage, I could say I called it, but I'm just going to quote myself from last week, and walk away.

Fairy Tail

"I'm sorry" but I'll have to press the win button next week. - Erza

This shit is getting monotonously ridiculous.

Lol at DTL writing off Erza so easily, should put as much faith in her as you do Natsu.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Here is my contribution for this version of the manga thread. I couldn't hold it in and I don't know where else to go.

Aoi Hana 49

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

Kurita

Yeah, Haikyuu takes a lot of cues from ES21, but the art doesn't compare and I'm just not getting attached to the cast in the same way. ]

But now I'm just preaching to the choir...

Yeah the art is meh (some panels are not that bad though) and I agree with cast part.
I do like Tanaka, Hinata... Well, the main players of Karasuno. But since tons of characters have the same design and don't have a real gimmick making them unique, it's hard for them to become likeable.

That's what I liked about Eyeshield 21. They slowly built the team and each character had a real background (+ the characters weren't clones with a different haircut) so it was easier to get attached to them.

Still, I enjoy reading Haikyuu!!.

Bossun

Also, almost everyone agree on Fairy Tail, so there's not much of a debate. It lacks the fiery passion of haters and lovers that is usually present when we talk about the big three.

Yeah the art is meh (some panels are not that bad though) and I agree with cast part.
I do like Tanaka, Hinata... Well, the main players of Karasuno. But since tons of characters have the same design and don't have a real gimmick making them unique, it's hard for them to become likeable.

That's what I liked about Eyeshield 21. They slowly built the team and each character had a real background (+ the characters weren't clones with a different haircut) so it's was easier to get attached to them.

Still, I enjoy reading Haikyuu!!.
With the way series quickly get cancelled in WSJ could any series really succeed presently by slowly and meticulously developing and building each character in its debut year? I thought people disliked gimmicks to make characters unique, gauging posts people dislike it in kurokos basketball

wonzo

Banned
Here is my contribution for this version of the manga thread. I couldn't hold it in and I don't know where else to go.

Aoi Hana 49

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.
Yeah, I just read the spoilers and this shit's just dumb as hell.

Kurita

With the way series quickly get cancelled in WSJ could any series really succeed presently by slowly and meticulously developing and building each character in its debut year?

Well, Eyeshield 21 managed to do it.
It was more popular than Haikyuu!! though (IIRC its average ranking was 4th or 5th at the time).

Akito

I originally picked up Fairy Tail because A) I read Rave and B) Fanservice.
Rave is one of the worst shounen battle manga I've ever read so I guess I only picked up FT to see if it is any better... and I'm somehow still sticking around.

Steroyd

I originally picked up Fairy Tail because A) I read Rave and B) Fanservice.

I originally started reading Fairy Tail because of the heightened Gerrard trolling talk in the manga thread, and to be quite honest it wasn't that bad to read through despite being average.

Although after going through pretty much the exact same schtick in every arc for the billionth time...

If only I didn't read the thread back then, then I'd be an outside spectator looking in, much like I am with KNIM.

upandaway

I still haven't seen a manga that was canceled that had absolutely no business getting canceled (well uh Nura, but the treatment it got makes up for it). They always screw up in one way or another that makes me accept it if they get the axe. Double Arts included.

Whether they built up slowly or exploded right off the bat has nothing to do with it.
7t19X.png

It just needs to be interesting.

Stinky

Kaiji: Kazuya Arc (Part 4) chapter 6

Anyone else keeping up with this? I love how Kazuya's book has a game like that, its bizarre normally but completely normal in the Fukumotoverse.

Mild spoiler of the upcoming arc but someone told me that there
isn't going to be any gambling in part 4

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I still haven't seen a manga that was canceled that had absolutely no business getting canceled (well uh Nura, but the treatment it got makes up for it). They always screw up in one way or another that makes me accept it if they get the axe. Double Arts included.

Whether they built up slowly or exploded right off the bat has nothing to do with it.
7t19X.png

Yea but they do cancel things that have potential to become better pretty often, Double Arts may have been slow to get off the ground but it definitely had potential to be great. It was certainly better than the mangaka's next work.

7t19X.png

I thought Enigma could have been pretty good. It seemed like they took too long to get into the powers and everything else, and by time it did it was already at the bottom of the rankings.

It still lasted 7 volumes though, so I guess it lasted longer than alot of the other stuff that's gotten cancelled.

scy

Rave is one of the worst shounen battle manga I've ever read so I guess I only picked up FT to see if it is any better... and I'm somehow still sticking around.

I just wanted a Reina expy, okay?

Okay?!

If only I didn't read the thread back then, then I'd be an outside spectator looking in, much like I am with KNIM.

My knowledge of KNIM is all second-hand (+ having read Suzuka). I think it improves the experience.

Double Arts just didn't seem like it had longevity despite the backstory it was building. I mean, it's a fairly limiting battle shounen gimmick.

Akito

I have even read Seo's earlier manga, Cross Over and W's, the latter is probably the worst sports manga I could think of. Get on my level.
I think I have a problem.

Stinky

Medaka Box

Wouldnt be surprised if Medaka AND Ajimu are revived somehow.

Also, does anyone else hate those pages that are the same with a slight variation? I alwyas feel its a lazy way to show action. Its like a Spot The Difference flip-book ... if that makes sense

Haikyuu!! 39

I liked their Osu Fight moment, reminded me of vongola fight. It seemed he put some of the previous jokes about the players into this match, Asahi's looking like an adult, being 5th year held back, and one or two more. I also think I can identify all of the Karasuno players now. Crow page was best page as well as the moment when Tanaka and Nishinoya were all excited.

scy

Medaka Box

DeadGirl Box just doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Also, does anyone else hate those pages that are the same with a slight variation? I alwyas feel its a lazy way to show action. Its like a Spot The Difference flip-book ... if that makes sense

It depends. Like, if it's obvious that there's enough subtle differences that it's re-drawn each time then I think it's great. Especially because of that flip book effect where the pages kind of go together to form an action. Basically, One-Punch Man's chapters that were put in gif form are the perfect example of this.

On the other hand, if it's to save on time redrawing panels ... well ... :/

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Medaka Box

Considering the anime is done, Anshin'in can come back now. She need to say she was off taping the anime version if she does though, anything less would be a disappointment.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Last Game 15

I actually enjoyed this chapter considering a good chunk of it was about Shitty Souma. It was nice to get more insight to his character. KujouxYanagi scenes were great as usual. It seems like development is moving along quite well, and quickly, so I'm hoping the next chapters progress things further. I hope they don't draw this shit out.

scy

Last Game 15 - In a different manga, I'd expect Souma's monologue to end with a creeper face and then a girl somewhere dies.

...maybe I'm a horrible person.

Main pairing getting more main pairing-ness.

Fairy Tail 315

Chapters like these are often leading reasons why I occasionally would rank Hunter x hunter as best of the genre over Fairy Tail. Although I accurately predicted that they would lose in the subsequent chapter, the events were just really unfulfilling. Perhaps because Natsu already gave the best friendship speech this arc, and Gray Fullbuster gave us a marvelous spectacle, Erzas fight just ended up being way too quick, like an abridged friendship speech "slap in the face to nakama" ---> "swordstrike". I just didnt feel nothing. Maybe if it were more emotional and she got some new exquip or swordskill it would have been better, and of course if she actually did win the points that make it a much much better chapter.

Bleach

No wonder that Ichigo was not close to Zangetsu before. Hichigo was also Zangetsu, so in essence Ichigo not being close to Zangetsu means that Ichigo was not close to his hollow as well. Ichigo has always rejected his hollow, and by doing that he rejected Zangetsu as well.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bleach

No wonder that Ichigo was not close to Zangetsu before. Hichigo was also Zangetsu, so in essence Ichigo not being close to Zangetsu means that Ichigo was not close to his hollow as well. Ichigo has always rejected his hollow, and by doing that he rejected Zangetsu as well.

...what? Where are you getting this from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom