• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cage of Eden

Oh my fucking god the best friend is back. Sigh.

edit: head injury limit breaks? come the FUCK ON

*monster is able to jump out of a 20 foot hole*
*is completely shocked when it jumps during the fight*

I can't wait to read your final reaction after the last chapter. You might need a stress ball prepared.

Hunter X Hunter Heavens Arena Arc

This Nen stuff sounds like it could get very confusing but it does help to diversify how the different characters powers work. Gon's match with Hisoka was a highlight and really shows how far Gon has come but how much farther he has to go. I was disappointed that we really didn't see or hear anything from Kurapika and Leorio in this arc though I've heard the next arc focuses a lot on Kurapika.

When exactly did the many hiatus of HxH begin exactly? I kind of want an idea of where the big breaks were so I can understand the pain you guys went though.

I have never read a manga so consistent and immediate with it's willingness to contradict itself. Most shonen have a few problems like this that I chalk up to the realities of serialization and the indifference of the audience, but this is a complete and global saturation of ineptitude. It's so incompetent at staying in line with its own established fiction that I'm increasingly tempted to believe the author is trolling.

I haven't read the manga in question so don't know the context but it was sometimes used as a childish joke.

The context is, a guy goes up the rope and gets out, then the next guy turns around and says, "ladies first" unironically. Then the ladies go up.

I have never read a manga so consistent and immediate with it's willingness to contradict itself. Most shonen have a few problems like this that I chalk up to the realities of serialization and the indifference of the audience, but this is a complete and global saturation of ineptitude. It's so incompetent at staying in line with its own established fiction that I'm increasingly tempted to believe the author is trolling.

Just curious btw: Are the factual misrepresentations simply really REALLY sloppy research work, or is there an ideology behind it?

The context is, a guy goes up the rope and gets out, then the next guy turns around and says, "ladies first" unironically. Then the ladies go up.

So the first guy didn't give a shit and the second guy offered the lady to go first? Plus wasn't it the guy wanting to look up her skirt?

I really don't see the issue with that?

Just curious btw: Are the factual misrepresentations simply really REALLY sloppy research work, or is there an ideology behind it?

It's honestly just bullshit. It really doesn't have that much of a baring other than them overcoming the obstacle at hand. Ancient animals are on the island and they just use this weird shitty info to defeat them in some way. You're better off just to ignore the explanations.

I thought it was obvious that he was being bombastic and exaggerating things for our entertainment.

lolzc0yvy.png

upandaway

Given how much shit everyone was and is giving Cage of Eden I remember having read EX - Shounen Hyouryuu by the same author not a long time ago and that was pretty shitty and also a survival story. Can somebody who's read both make a comparison between the two? I might pick up CoE if it somehow manages to be much worse than EX :lol
They're both pretty out there. EX has Asahi which is a big bonus over CoE, I guess. (retcon: asahi is the dog right? i'm not even sure anymore, anyway i mean the dog)

Hunter X Hunter Heavens Arena Arc

This Nen stuff sounds like it could get very confusing but it does help to diversify how the different characters powers work. Gon's match with Hisoka was a highlight and really shows how far Gon has come but how much farther he has to go. I was disappointed that we really didn't see or hear anything from Kurapika and Leorio in this arc though I've heard the next arc focuses a lot on Kurapika.

When exactly did the many hiatus of HxH begin exactly? I kind of want an idea of where the big breaks were so I can understand the pain you guys went though.
I may be wrong on this, but off my memory:

260-261 (the first huge hiatus, 2 years, before we knew year-long hiatuses were "a thing" and weren't sure if HxH was ever gonna come back. when you see which chapter 260 is, you'll know just how painful this was)
270-271 (<half a year)
280-281 (half a year)
290-291 (1 year)
310-311 (>1 year)
340-now

You can see there's an uplifting trend of more chapters per batch lately.

He's mentioned some misrepresentations of stuff like genetics that left me genuinly curious.

It's hard to say without spoilers...

Basically man made animals.
Once they determine that do the details and the exact science really matter? Unless some scientist is reading it for accuracy I can't see much reason for getting hung up on it.

Like I said, most of the explanations can just be looked past.

It's about the suspension of disbelief. You can say man-made monsters and I'm fine with that. But you say man-made monsters were created by leprechauns and rainbow fuel gathered by secret nazi cults in atlantis and I begin to have some problems.

By the way, that last part was an exaggeration.

It's about the suspension of disbelief. You can say man-made monsters and I'm fine with that. But you say man-made monsters were created by leprechauns and rainbow fuel gathered by secret nazi cults in atlantis and I begin to have some problems.

Just for clarity: Is this another frozen poop example, or did they actually say this?

scy

260-261 (the first huge hiatus, 2 years, before we knew year-long hiatuses were "a thing" and weren't sure if HxH was ever gonna come back. when you see which chapter 260 is, you'll know just how painful this was)

"10 minutes Forever until we break in"

While he's clearly entertaining, he's also keeping me as far away from this manga as possible.

Eh, it's not that bad. It's fanservice-laden which is honestly the worst part of the manga (since it kind of takes away from the survival drama when boobs occur) but the rest is stuff you can look past.

Just for clarity: Is this another frozen poop example, or did they actually say this?

Frozen poop.

Though, I'd be down for some leprechaun rainbow-empowered nazi dinosaurs.

Akito

They're both pretty out there. EX has Asahi which is a big bonus over CoE, I guess. (retcon: asahi is the dog right? i'm not even sure anymore, anyway i mean the dog)
Yeah, that was the dog, the most clever character in the whole manga. I guess I'll put CoE at the top of the
"I'm on the mood for a shitty manga"-
list.

I may be wrong on this, but off my memory:

270-271 (<half a year)
280-281 (half a year)
290-291 (1 year)
310-311 (>1 year)
340-now

You can see there's an uplifting trend of more chapters per batch lately.

Jeebus o.o

duckroll

One Piece Film - Strong World

Yeah okay, that was pretty good. It's certainly not as epic or complex as most of the manga story arcs, but as a relatively stand alone "big deal" movie project, I think it delivers pretty well. It's clear a lot of the movie was conceptualized based on what would be visually exciting, with a lot of cool stuff packed into a 2 hour movie runtime. Instead of developing a more complex multi-layered arc which works for a manga medium, here it's a very clear cut "save the world" setting with a simple objective and a rather basic but visually interesting setting.

One thing I really loved about the movie is how it totally nails the feeling that the movie is set after the Strawhat crew is really established as 300% certified badasses. There's a tone throughout the film that they're super strong, and super confident. There's no sense that they doubt each other or are relatively noob pirates like the earlier parts of the manga. That scene with them marching into the meeting room was soooo perfect. Plus, Luffy looks fucking great in a suit. :D

Having read about 260 chapters of One Piece in the past week though, I'll say that as a villain Shiki is really quite a let down. It's hard to imagine him being that much of a threat to the group after all the shit they survived in Skypiea, Enies Lobby, and Thriller Bark. I was sort of hoping that towards the end there would be some twists to make it more dangerous, but I guess that wasn't within the scope of the movie.

Still, it was a fun ride with good action and lots of cool "One Piece" scenes. Good comedy, solid action, great posing, and the predictable but awesome transition from silly Luffy to serious badass Luffy. This might not be a particularly strong story emotionally nor is there much of the Oda magic in the narrative, but in terms of tone and execution, it definitely felt like a "movie" as opposed to a TV special or long TV episode.

P.S. Toei's CG ships are godawful. They stick out like a sore thumb and the texturing is really ugly. Ugh. Lol. Also, this movie really shafted Nico Robin. She had almost NOTHING to do aside from some background stuff. Didn't even have a solid action scene to herself. Meh! :(

Baron Omatsuri vs Strong World comparison

I guess now that I've seen this, I can finally compare it with the only other One Piece movie I was interested in enough to watch - Mamoru Hosoda's movie about Baron Omatsuri. In terms of "One Piece"-ness, I definitely agree that this is much closer to what One Piece represents in the manga, and there are better fights, and more cohesive flavor in terms of fitting into the world of the manga. But artistically in terms of making a beautiful and unique film, Hosoda still wins. :p

What's more predictable? Cage of Eden or Fairy Tail?

Fairy Tail by default. Even if the overall story is completely transparent, Cage of Eden's moment-to-moment happenings are so bewildering that I'm shocked at every page turn. Right now I'm waiting to see how everyone decides to forgive a group of attempted gang-rapists.

upandaway

Yeah okay, that was pretty good. It's certainly not as epic or complex as most of the manga story arcs, but as a relatively stand alone "big deal" movie project, I think it delivers pretty well. It's clear a lot of the movie was conceptualized based on what would be visually exciting, with a lot of cool stuff packed into a 2 hour movie runtime. Instead of developing a more complex multi-layered arc which works for a manga medium, here it's a very clear cut "save the world" setting with a simple objective and a rather basic but visually interesting setting.

One thing I really loved about the movie is how it totally nails the feeling that the movie is set after the Strawhat crew is really established as 300% certified badasses. There's a tone throughout the film that they're super strong, and super confident. There's no sense that they doubt each other or are relatively noob pirates like the earlier parts of the manga. That scene with them marching into the meeting room was soooo perfect. Plus, Luffy looks fucking great in a suit. :D

Having read about 260 chapters of One Piece in the past week though, I'll say that as a villain Shiki is really quite a let down. It's hard to imagine him being that much of a threat to the group after all the shit they survived in Skypiea, Enies Lobby, and Thriller Bark. I was sort of hoping that towards the end there would be some twists to make it more dangerous, but I guess that wasn't within the scope of the movie.

Still, it was a fun ride with good action and lots of cool "One Piece" scenes. Good comedy, solid action, great posing, and the predictable but awesome transition from silly Luffy to serious badass Luffy. This might not be a particularly strong story emotionally nor is there much of the Oda magic in the narrative, but in terms of tone and execution, it definitely felt like a "movie" as opposed to a TV special or long TV episode.

P.S. Toei's CG ships are godawful. They stick out like a sore thumb and the texturing is really ugly. Ugh. Lol. Also, this movie really shafted Nico Robin. She had almost NOTHING to do aside from some background stuff. Didn't even have a solid action scene to herself. Meh! :(

I guess now that I've seen this, I can finally compare it with the only other One Piece movie I was interested in enough to watch - Mamoru Hosoda's movie about Baron Omatsuri. In terms of "One Piece"-ness, I definitely agree that this is much closer to what One Piece represents in the manga, and there are better fights, and more cohesive flavor in terms of fitting into the world of the manga. But artistically in terms of making a beautiful and unique film, Hosoda still wins. :p
You are the best person. I always really liked SW and felt like I was alone in the cruel world.

Fairy Tail by default. Even if the overall story is completely transparent, Cage of Eden's moment-to-moment happenings are so bewildering that I'm shocked at every page turn. Right now I'm waiting to see how everyone decides to forgive a group of attempted gang-rapists.

I guess that's what you mean by cultural poison, huh?

duckroll

The Strong World outfits are amazing.

Yeah, the costume design was really awesome. They had a bunch of different outfits too. Lol. Oda was probably just drawing shit for the movie all day and treating it as vacation time. Did he take time off from the manga while making Strong World?

Wiseblade

Yeah, the costume design was really awesome. They had a bunch of different outfits too. Lol. Oda was probably just drawing shit for the movie all day and treating it as vacation time. Did he take time off from the manga while making Strong World?

Yeah, One Piece was taking breaks all over the place during SW's production.

Kurita

I guess since he wrote it.

Mr. Fix

I still feel like Shiki was downplayed, which doesn't seem so far-fetched given that this was a movie.

Excellent, but movie 6 still remains to be da be-

qTcGLnr.gif

It was like a mini-Water 7 arc. It's nice and sad to see the crew in conflict with one another once in a while.

Can't wait for your other impressions.

upandaway

Yeah, One Piece was taking breaks all over the place during SW's production.
I don't remember for sure, but.. was that time Oda took a break immediately after Jump's new years break(s), because of SW-related circumstances?

Because, um. I sure didn't like that one.

duckroll

I can see why people following the manga weekly might be pissed if Oda took lots of breaks just to make Strong World, lol. It's not much of a replacement for not having new chapters, but as a movie it's pretty entertaining. It's clear that he put a lot of effort into the design of the movie though. There are a ton of trademark Oda stuff in the film, and none of it feels particularly recycled. Very visually refreshing. Hopefully One Piece Film Z is as good, or better.

upandaway

I can see why people following the manga weekly might be pissed if Oda took lots of breaks just to make Strong World, lol. It's not much of a replacement for not having new chapters, but as a movie it's pretty entertaining. It's clear that he put a lot of effort into the design of the movie though. There are a ton of trademark Oda stuff in the film, and none of it feels particularly recycled. Very visually refreshing. Hopefully One Piece Film Z is as good, or better.
Well he did make the Chapter 0 prelude to the movie which was published alongside a normal chapter in the same issue. That was super cool of him.

UNLIKE A CERTAIN OTHER WORCESTERSHIRE MAN WHOSE SERIES SOMEONE ELSE IS MARATHONING ON THIS PAGE

WHO STILL DIDN'T COME BACK FROM CAPS L- I MEAN HIATUS

Cwarrior

One Piece - Long Ring Island

That was bad. It was pointless, and not very entertaining at all. It felt like some cheap filler arc other than the really cool stuff with Aokiji at the end. The rigged competition and the asshole pirate leader reminded me of Hosoda's Baron Matsuri One Piece movie, except it inferior in every possible way. Zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Op Movie 6 Baron Matsuri was written by Masahiro ITOU it was a very obvious spin on the Davy back fight Arc as the movie came out just a year & half after the arc, during the Enis lobby arc.

duckroll

Don't forget to read One Piece chapter 0 now duckroll.

I read it before I watched the movie. It was... okay I guess. Pretty much just a marketing plug for the movie. I liked the way Oda handled the "while this was happening" scenes all throughout East Blue and the Grand Line though. That was pretty neat. Otherwise it doesn't really add much, since Shiki still felt like a scrub imo.

Op Movie 6 Baron Matsuri was written by Masahiro ITOU it was a very obvious spin on the Davy back fight Arc as the movie came out just a year & half after the arc, during the Enis lobby arc.

Oh, that makes perfect sense then, thanks. If the movie came out a year or so after that arc ran in the manga, I can see how it's a homage. The movie is much better though. Long Ring sucked balls. :D

Why would an interrogator ask questions about something only the captive would know to determine if they're telling the truth?

"How many toilets were on your floor in your building?"
"...f-four?"
"Damn, he must be telling the truth."

Why would an interrogator ask questions about something only the captive would know to determine if they're telling the truth?

"...f-four?"

All of your impressions make me want to read Cage of Eden even though it sounds pretty awful

*determine that the doctor was a fake and was making shit up*
*still uses his advice to determine the necessary tools and type of surgery*

*established early that they have a spool of thread for sutures*
*asks for a girls' hair to use as thread despite taking the needle from the sewing kit*

"...f-four?"

... The hell?

That's the sort of reverse logic I'd expect from a One Piece joke character. (with hilarious Usopp & Nami shark teeth reactions to boot!) Not as a serious plot point.

Cwarrior

I really enjoyed the movie myself but found shiki demise disappointing and unOne piece.

You should check out Movie 9 Episode of chopper.

*asks if the surgery will go well*
*uses trepanation, one of the most horrifying and dangerous medical procedures, as an example of successful primitive surgery*

Wiseblade

*determine that the doctor was a fake and was making shit up*
*still uses his advice to determine the necessary tools and type of surgery*

*established early that they have a spool of thread for sutures*
*asks for a girls' hair to use as thread despite taking the needle from the sewing kit*

So what you're saying is that I need to read cage of eden?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom