• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I really enjoyed the movie myself but found shiki demise disappointing and unOne piece.

You should check out Movie 9 Episode of chopper.

If this were a manga arc, there is basically no way at all that Shiki wouldn't have a backup plan which requires the efforts of the entire crew to unravel. It's even more unbelievable that he spent 20 years planning this, and he just... got his ass kicked. Total weakass.

*leaves every locked door in mysterious abandoned building unopened*
"I feel like we might have overlooked something..."

*was traveling with 3 other people the entire time*
"I'm the only one who's seen all four towers directly"

If this were a manga arc, there is basically no way at all that Shiki wouldn't have a backup plan which requires the efforts of the entire crew to unravel. It's even more unbelievable that he spent 20 years planning this, and he just... got his ass kicked. Total weakass.

Another problem I had with Strong World was that it was too disconnected from the main plot, at the end of the day Shiki was just some dude who had nothing to do with anything. Film Z remedies that by using
a former Admiral
and throwing all the current Admirals into the mix as well. There is an actual emotional backstory there beyond "Roger kicked my ass twenty years ago and I never got over it". Zephyr
doesn't even get taken down by Luffy, he's killed by Kizaru and half the Vice-Admirals

Reknoc

Best thing about Strong World is the awesome Opening music that seems to use audio from what seems like a pretty serious news report.

upandaway

I see the words

I understand the words

but I don't know what they mean
I endured about 10 minutes of intense brainstorming to bring you a clever rebuttal that would have made you look silly AND explain the mysteries of the world to you, but whatever this is going nowhere and I was about to watch OreShura anyway.

so HMPH!

Yeah, 7 Seeds is the best. Read at least the first 4-5 volumes if you aren't feeling it at first.

Cage of Eden

*abandons a guy to his death*
"No matter what happens, we will all make it back!"

Big One

Banned
I heard Movie Z > Strong World but I'll have to wait and see for myself.

If you want some other decent One Piece films I suggest checking out Movie 4 and Movie 9. And if you want some lulz check out movie 7.

Wiseblade

I endured about 10 minutes of intense brainstorming to bring you a clever rebuttal that would have made you look silly AND explain the mysteries of the world to you, but whatever this is going nowhere and I was about to watch OreShura anyway.

so HMPH!

But now I need to know! Who is the Worcestershire man? What is the 100-page thing?

The mystery needs to be solved!

paraceratherium1ekstr.png

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Best thing about Strong World is the awesome Opening music that seems to use audio from what seems like a pretty serious news report.

Yeah, it's so random. It's quoting a news report of this story:

The Rolling Stone article is built around a man named Dirk Dickenson who in early 1972 was shot in the back as he ran unarmed from agents who descended on his property on Pratt Mountain from a Huey helicopter. The raid was based on faulty information by deputy sheriff Mel Ames, who claimed he spotted a million-dollar meth lab on Dickenson’s property during an aerial surveillance.

Humboldt County law enforcement’s bias against newcomers tainted officers’ judgment and botched their investigations. Before the raid, Undersheriff Bob Bollman boasted to then-managing editor of the Times-Standard, Dan Walters that the biggest narcotics bust in Humboldt County history was about to go down. Bollman ordered Walters to assign reporters to the bust and insisted they bring cameras. Walters was quoted as saying that “f it wouldn’t have been for Undersheriff Bollman’s ego, chances are the world never would have found out about Dirk Dickenson. Chances are things might have been tidied up.”

The reporters, however, were about as savvy as the cops. They made an extremely unprofessional agreement to limit questioning at the scene to Undersheriff Bollman and Federal Narcotics agent Kenny Krusco. But they were witnesses none the less, and what they saw was chilling. T-S reporter Richard Harris scribbled a sentence in his notebook: “Looks like an assault on an enemy prison camp in Vietnam.”

Dirk Dickenson and his girlfriend Judy Arnold didn’t fear the Huey helicopter and waved back at the plainclothes agents’ seemingly friendly greeting. But when they saw the guns in the hands of unidentified men who kicked down the front door without warning, Dickenson hopped off his back porch and ran for the woods.

The single bullet entered Dickenson’s back just above his waist and beside his spine, and exited from the lower groin. The “million dollar meth lab” was no where to be found. News of Dickenson’s death hit the airwaves before his mother was notified.

The man who pulled the trigger was Lloyd Clifton, an agent with the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs (BNDD). Clifton had a history of unnecessarily beating people during his time with the Berkeley police. One beating occurred after Clifton pulled over a man for a traffic violation. The man, Clifton said, “smirked at me,” so Clifton beat him with his baton.

Humboldt County District Attorney Bill Ferroggiaro, announced he would take no action until the investigation was complete. And actually, there would be two investigations – one by the US Dept. of Justice and one by the Humboldt County DA’s office.

The Federal investigation began a few weeks after the shooting. US attorney James K. Browning, Jr. announced investigators had “an open mind.” But he added, apparently without fear of appearing biased, that he suspected the shooting would “fall into the category of justifiable homicide.”

At the time, no federal narcotics agent anywhere in the US had ever been charged with violating the constitutional rights of a suspect.

The policy manual of the BNDD stated that “[t]he agent should not shoot at any persons except to protect his own life or that of some other person. The agent will not fire at fleeing automobiles, suspects or defendants.” The manual, it would seem, forbid the very action taken by Lloyd Clifton.

http://humboldtherald.wordpress.com/2006/12/18/humboldt-trials-and-tribulations/

The United States District Court for the Northern District of California, the Honorable Samuel Conti presiding, granted petitioner Lloyd Clifton a writ of habeas corpus discharging him from the constructive custody of the respondent Gene Cox, Sheriff of Humboldt County, California, and the State of California. It permanently stayed all state criminal proceedings arising from an indictment charging Clifton with second degree murder and involuntary manslaughter for the shooting of Dirk Dickenson on April 4, 1972, while Clifton was serving as a special agent for the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs (BNDD) in the United States Department of Justice
https://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F2/549/549.F2d.722.75-1585.html

I had actually read that case ages ago before I saw the movie, so you can imagine how confused I was when it showed up in the song

Stinky

Cool. I can only hope if the UK gets it, we in Ireland would too. Can't think of a third series to recommend. I have Assassination Classroom and Beelzebub, what else?

I picked Shougeki and Medaka Box, both seem unlikely though

Ireland, aww yeah, Galway represent

Tasogare wa Karera no Jikan 2

Seemed odd to have a supernatural story in which the characters presence just makes everyone instantly attracted to him, and then to have another character the same way. Though I thought they would repel each other it made everything so much more intense since they are super compatible, Start of the chapter was really awesome.

Chidori-san Ke ni Kagitte 3
tumblr_mh1lpxG3KE1qbxqfpo1_500.png

The dream sequence at the start was also good but then it was just a dream sequence so kind of disappointing but at least he has those feelings for Sou now, to think it stemmed from an accidental kiss from posing for his mother that needed some models for her bl manga. I think Sou was feeling a bit jealous though its just our friend misunderstanding again.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
I always thought the Bleach Hell Arc movie was pretty great for a Shonen flick, and that's just not cuz of my bias. The animation was great, plus, unlike every other goddamn Shonen movie, the main character didn't defeat the villain with a filler variation of his signature attack, which is one thing that always annoys me. Nothing can beat Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island though. Animation and finale were soooooo good.

Reknoc

Cool. I can only hope if the UK gets it, we in Ireland would too. Can't think of a third series to recommend. I have Assassination Classroom and Beelzebub, what else?

I picked Hungry Joker, Haikyuu!!, and Shokugeki no Soma.

No where in Europe gets Beelzebub?, and I think somewhere in Europe gets Medaka Box, right? Seems like Europe would be difficult to handle for this, why so many countries...

7Th

Movie Z is by the director of Heartcatch Precure, of course it is better than Strong World by the director of Suite Precure!

Reknoc

I picked Hungry Joker, Haikyuu!!, and Shokugeki no Soma.

No where in Europe gets Beelzebub?, and I think somewhere in Europe gets Medaka Box, right? Seems like Europe would be difficult to handle for this, why so many countries...

France and Italy probably get it, but isn't much good to the UK and Eire.

Incidentally I want for Assassination Classroom (ofc), Hungry Joker and blanked on a third so just went with Medaka Box.

I always thought the Bleach Hell Arc movie was pretty great for a Shonen flick, and that's just not cuz of my bias. The animation was great, plus, unlike every other goddamn Shonen movie, the main character didn't defeat the villain with a filler variation of his signature attack, which is one thing that always annoys me. Nothing can beat Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island though. Animation and finale were soooooo good.

I should make it around to seeing the One Piece movies, saw all the Shippuden movies Viz brings and watched all the Bleach ones (Kokuto was a really awesome character and the visuals were good), though second best Bleach movie, right after Diamond Dust Rebellion.

Movie Z is by the director of Heartcatch Precure, of course it is better than Strong World by the director of Suite Precure!

The fights are better but it's just a better story overall with a more satisfying ending. I feel like Oda was trying harder when he came up with the plot.

It also has the first female sword user who is actually able to give Zoro any trouble.

The fights are better but it's just a better story overall with a more satisfying ending. I feel like Oda was trying harder when he came up with the plot.

It also has the first female sword user who is actually able to give Zoro any trouble.

Hold on let me ask this just to be sure: Movie Z has a competent, female, physical fighter that isn't there just to be the typical Nami foil?

Yonafunu

Damn, all this talk about One Piece makes me realise how great it is, as a series. Sure, it may have 1 or 2 lesser arcs, but as a whole series it's absolutely fantastic. What an amazing adventure.

EDIT:

I just re-read the Chimera Ant arc. Got chills when Netero comes down off the dragon and takes on Pitou. I love that part.

Goddamn Chimera Ant arc. Soogood.gif

You are the best person. I always really liked SW and felt like I was alone in the cruel world.

Huh other people liked strong world.

Another problem I had with Strong World was that it was too disconnected from the main plot, at the end of the day Shiki was just some dude who had nothing to do with anything. Film Z remedies that by using
a former Admiral
and throwing all the current Admirals into the mix as well. There is an actual emotional backstory there beyond "Roger kicked my ass twenty years ago and I never got over it". Zephyr
doesn't even get taken down by Luffy, he's killed by Kizaru and half the Vice-Admirals

Oda tried to set it up with Chapter 0 but it didn't amount to much except
another person from East Blue kicked his ass and
killed his shitty 20 year plan.

upandaway

The best thing about a mac is that I can put the mouse on the page, squint my eyes, and it looks like a makeshift sparkle for any panel of my choice. Fully worth the price just for this.

Shokugeki no Soma

Incredibly fitting that the first naked apron in the series is male. I love the dorm and the whole elite ten thing is so positively silly.

Moosichu

What nonsense is this?

BLEACH

Until Tite Kubo introduced a bunch of characters out of nowhere for this arc Ichigo was the strongest character in Bleach. Even then he destroyed a load of
Quincies.

However, I did enjoy that quite a lot. I almost groaned when I found out that the quincies could steal Bankais, then when Ichigo was immune to that I was happy again. I do think that its pretty well established that Ichigo is the strongest member in soul society excluding the royal guard (and possibly Aizen who I really hope is reintroduced somehow as I love the character. He's already been teased so I hope its something that's followed-up on. ).

I do find it quite annoying that Ichigo has 'lost' some of his old powers though, I would love to see him flip on a Hollow mask, activate the Fullbring costume and use his Quincy powers while in Bankai. From a design perspective alone it would be pretty cool even though it's never going to happen for reasons explained in the plot.

Stinky

Medaka Box Spoilers

So apparently
Medaka's new style seems to be able to create vibrations(?) to keep her heart beating, or something like that

Desmond

I picked Shougeki and Medaka Box, both seem unlikely though

Ireland, aww yeah, Galway represent
Nice, Dublin here. :)

Incidentally I want for Assassination Classroom (ofc), Hungry Joker and blanked on a third so just went with Medaka Box.
hell, I'd even buy a Spanish release if it existed. I study Spanish and Japanese, so eventually I should be able to buy the Japanese releases

Kurita

Medaka Box is published in France, Italy and Spain.
Beelzebub is published in France. Dunno about other countries.

BLEACH

Until Tite Kubo introduced a bunch of characters out of nowhere for this arc Ichigo was the strongest character in Bleach. Even then he destroyed a load of
Quincies.

However, I did enjoy that quite a lot. I almost groaned when I found out that the quincies could steal Bankais, then when Ichigo was immune to that I was happy again. I do think that its pretty well established that Ichigo is the strongest member in soul society excluding the royal guard (and possibly Aizen who I really hope is reintroduced somehow as I love the character. He's already been teased so I hope its something that's followed-up on. ).

I do find it quite annoying that Ichigo has 'lost' some of his old powers though, I would love to see him flip on a Hollow mask, activate the Fullbring costume and use his Quincy powers while in Bankai. From a design perspective alone it would be pretty cool even though it's never going to happen for reasons explained in the plot.

Bleach

There's no way his hollow powers are gone.

Yonafunu

Bleach

There's no way his hollow powers are gone.

Bleach

I always thought that when he
beat Tensa Zangetsu and Hichigo fused together, he also conquered his Hollow powers. So his final form was a combination of all of his power, including hollow.
I have no idea what his current power level is though,
post-Dangai
or
pre-Dangai

Zoe

BLEACH

Quincies.

Bleach

I always thought that when he
beat Tensa Zangetsu and Hichigo fused together, he also conquered his Hollow powers. So his final form was a combination of all of his power, including hollow.
I have no idea what his current power level is though,
post-Dangai
or
pre-Dangai

Looks like you guys are new here, you should read the first post:

Simple rules to follow so we can discuss our favorite manga easily:

3. Regarding spoilers in this thread.
We will discuss all the manga in one topic with no tags. If you don't want to be spoiled by the chapter as soon as the translation is out, do not come in here. Also, since we are not talking about the anime, you can mention new episodes without tags either since they are always behind or are filler. You should know well enough not to come in here not wanting to be spoiled but bolding the header should help out even more.

Again, no spoiler marks needed, that is the benefit of coming here.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom