• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cwarrior

One Piece - Thriller Bark

That was pretty good. It did feel like a side trip, but it was an extremely fun one. Feels a lot like a Nightmare Before Christmas world in the Kingdom Hearts games. There were nice hooks to earlier points in the story too with Laboon and the paper Ace gave Luffy. The battles at the end were pretty damn cool too, with lots of scale escalation - kinda like Gurren Lagann. It was really funny seeing stuff just get bigger and bigger. It's too bad Robin is such a spoilsport, or we would have seen the legendary DOCKING 6. Looooooooool. :(

I'll probably watch Strong World tomorrow, and take a break from One Piece for a while. Don't want to get completely burnt out. I still have about a full month before Z opens here, so I should have plenty of time to catch up. :D

Oda has said before his fan of tim burton movies.

The Thriller Bark Arc was clearly inspired by Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas, Frankenstein, and Michael Jackson´s song that has the same name: "Thriller".

Oda's three favorite movies are Seven Samurai, The Nightmare Before Christmas, and Young Guns

http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Eiichiro_Oda

Akito

Nononono v01
Everyone in this manga is so impulsively stupid they would not even stick out if they were to appear on Looney Tunes. I couldn't care less about ski jumping before and I cannot say that that has changed one bit after the first volume, the main character is basically god already, the only thing left for her to do is to undergo a sex change.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Oda's got great taste.
*remembers he's a fan of Avril Lavigne*
... Most of the time.

Couldn't we chalk this up to the same phenomena that makes people think shitty Jpop songs are better than they are? You don't notice how shitty it is since its in another language?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Couldn't we chalk this up to the same phenomena that makes people think shitty Jpop songs are better than they are? You don't notice how shitty it is since its in another language?

Maybe, but I always thought Oda had a pretty good grasp of English due to how much of it is in the series (Wanted Posters are all in English)
Granted, Oda could have just said he was a fan to promote Film Z since Lavigne said she was a fan of One Piece and she covered two songs for it. One being a Nickelback song... gross.

I'm like the inaugural member of the Goda Fan Club in ManGAF, Angry Grimace can testify to this.

Yeah, I have to apologise for the snarkiness too. Haven't had my morning coffee before.

I love that they're putting the Avril Lavigne version of the Nickleback song. The rage on the internet by some fans have been a joy to read.

Articalys

Jump Issue #09 TOC

Toriko (Cover, Lead CP, Movie Announcement)
Naruto
One Piece
Shokugeki no Souma (First Ranking)
PSI Kusuo Saiki
Kuroko no Basket
Assassination Classroom
Rookie Policewoman Kiruko-san
Haikyuu!! (Center Colour)
Sket Dance
Hungry Joker
Nisekoi (Center Colour)
Beelzebub
Cross Manage
Bleach
Gintama
Medaka Box
Kochikame
Retsu!!! Date-senpai
Kurogane (END)

Yes, you read that right: Toriko is getting a movie.

Akito

Jump Issue #09 TOC

Naruto
One Piece
PSI Kusuo Saiki
Kuroko no Basket
Assassination Classroom
Sket Dance
Hungry Joker
Nisekoi (Center Colour)
Beelzebub
Cross Manage
Bleach
Gintama
Medaka Box
Kochikame
Retsu!!! Date-senpai
Kurogane (END)

Shokugeki no Souma is super popular

Jump Issue #09 TOC

Naruto
One Piece
PSI Kusuo Saiki
Kuroko no Basket
Assassination Classroom
Sket Dance
Hungry Joker
Nisekoi (Center Colour)
Beelzebub
Cross Manage
Bleach
Gintama
Medaka Box
Kochikame
Retsu!!! Date-senpai
Kurogane (END)

So did Kurogane get can'd or did the author end it? Also Rookie Policewoman jumped up

Is Shokugeki no Souma Food Smut?

Jump Issue #09 TOC

Naruto
One Piece
PSI Kusuo Saiki
Kuroko no Basket
Assassination Classroom
Sket Dance
Hungry Joker
Nisekoi (Center Colour)
Beelzebub
Cross Manage
Bleach
Gintama
Medaka Box
Kochikame
Retsu!!! Date-senpai
Kurogane (END)

Finally the manga I like, haikyuu, hungry joker, shokugeki no soma, psi kusuo arent doing poorly.

So is this Toriko movie not in 3d, since it already had a 3d movie.

Docking scene in the anime is just as hilarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rM8f4uk29A

It's too bad, if they had done it their victory would have been simple.

Anyway, you picked a good spot to take a break. You're almost at the half-way point and shit only gets real from here on out.

Robin's reaction to the docking made me laugh for like 10 straight minutes. Weeks later, I would think of that scene and just start laughing all over again.

Hunter x Hunter

Seriously? Naruto took the "inject your powers into this object to find out what aspect you are" bit from Hunter too? Usually I don't really care that much about lifting concepts from other works, but that's pretty damn shameless.

Tizoc

Hunter x Hunter 1-30

Wow. Naruto's chuunin arc is a pretty shameless rip-off of the tag idea.

Chuunin Exam arc? I liked it for the fights, and enjoy it still.
What was the tag idea in HxH again? I don't think Naruto necessarily copied from HxH at least at the start, both were inspired by Dragonball though IIRC.

Hunter x Hunter

Seriously? Naruto took the "inject your powers into this object to find out what aspect you are" bit from Hunter too? Usually I don't really care that much about lifting concepts from other works, but that's pretty damn shameless.

I've always felt that Naruto took Uchiha Itachi's backstory from MGS3's Boss.

Molester Man 13-16

You did good Molester! Didn't think he actually confess but he did.

Looks like a Kansai ending is within sight especially after that blush (she was cute). The stalker being caught was a surprise, if a little anticlimatic.

Interesting

Kurogane ending in one more chapter eh.

Already prepared for that disappointing ending

Akito

OP Spoiler
- In the cover, 3 pirates appears in front of Caribou.
- All the people is together but Smoker draw a line that divide pirates and Marines.
- Franky arrives with the Sunny.
- Kinemon breaks solid gas and recovers.
- Momonosuke human form appears.
- Mocha is fine, Law heals her.
- There´s a party.
- In the last page there´s a flashback. Kaido it´s the Yonkou.

Tizoc

What's so good about Molester Man BTW? I read the first 4 chapters, but it hasn't interested me much so far.

Mr. Fix

So the arc's pretty much wrapped up now. Info dump incoming.

Would this be the first time the covers have been directly tied into the main plot? The Caribou bit should be interesting. Looking forward to the Kaido's crew too.

789shadow

Banned
Kaido?

ifBiuKhmijfex.jpg

Tizoc

Yare yare, guess I'll catch up to One Piece now.
Just help me out here, what was the chapter number that ended with
Don Flamingo flying to Punk Hazard? That's the last chapter I read last time

Mr. Fix

Yare yare, guess I'll catch up to One Piece now.
Just help me out here, what was the chapter number that ended with
Don Flamingo flying to Punk Hazard? That's the last chapter I read last time

You only missed out on last week's chapter since we had that 3 week break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom