• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RagnarokX

Right, Yamamoto. I never really liked him, but it wouldn't surprise me if he got a power-up, too. Naruto turned into Oprah these last few chapters, so he should get a power-up as well, to make it fair.

I don't remember Sai's last appearance.

Naruto

iirc Sai was in a recent chapter using his drawing jutsus against Obito and Madara.

Sasuke probably does have the other half of the Fox's chakra. They'll probably reveal that Itachi and baby Sasuke met up with Minato and baby Sasuke was just off camera during the kyuubi sealing ritual.

WxPDqa1.jpg

One Piece

iirc Sai was in a recent chapter using his drawing jutsus against Obito and Madara.

Sasuke probably does have the other half of the Fox's chakra. They'll probably reveal that Itachi and baby Sasuke met up with Minato and baby Sasuke was just off camera during the kyuubi sealing ritual.

WxPDqa1.jpg

Sasuke was with Itachi during this. Itachi was taking care of him.

One Piece - Punk Hazard Arc

Now that was a really enjoyable arc. If this is a taste of what the New World is like, I can't wait to see what's next. This isn't even an actual destination, but a sort of side trip. If Fishman Island reminded me of Skypiea, then this reminds me of Thriller Bark. It's an unplanned stop which is very creatively different - this time with scifi overtones and dragons, but at the same time it seems to have significant foreshadowing of what is to come for the next few(?) arcs. The alliances and consequences of the events here will no doubt set the stage for major events in the near future.

There are so many great parts in the arc I don't really know where to start. Dragons are awesome. Law is a really cool character who's probably the best major addition to the story in a long while. Learning more about Vegapunk's research and the scale of technology the Marines are studying is a great theme for a story arc too, especially since it's a subject which has been largely left undisclosed in detail until now. Watching Marines and Pirates forced to work together is always fun, and Ceaser Clown was really quite an impressive villain for the arc for a new character.

In short, this arc delivered all the things which I felt was lacking in Fishman Island, while also feeling unique and refreshing in its own way both in the setting and in the themes. While it can't really be compared to the most emotional arcs I enjoy like Arlong Park, Alabasta, and Enies Lobby, for what it is it's a fantastic adventure arc.

I'm kind of surprised by your thoughts of Ceaser. He was probably the only weak point of the arc in my opinion. The constant reminders of how evil he was just seemed too over the top. It was almost as if it was being pushed down our throats because we would forget about him otherwise. Which would probably be true with Law, Vergo, and even Monet being more interesting characters. Maybe it just doesn't seem as over the top in one big chunk?

Setsuna

Damn, you guys are mad about Bleach today.

Even though Kenpachi attained his captaincy by killing the previous captain. A guy(kenpachi) with no skill in Zanjutsu, Shunpo or Kido that has neither a Shikai or Bankai beats another shinigami who has all of that with only his power.

Not only that been shown in flash back where he looked like a teenager and still had his zanpaktou

Currently hes just learning how he used to fight to release the limits he put on himself

Yonafunu

damn people mad about bleach all of a sudden

even though kenpachi attained his captaincy by killing the previous captain

A guy(kenpachi) with no skill in zanjutsu, shunpo or kido that has no shikai or bankai beats another person who has all of that with just overwhelming power

been shown to have a flash back where he was a teenager and still had his zanpaktou

and now you guys are mad because he was a kid with an already extreme amount of power

Unohana never used Shikai or Bankai though.

Damn, you guys are mad about Bleach today.

Even though Kenpachi attained his captaincy by killing the previous captain. A guy(kenpachi) with no skill in Zanjutsu, Shunpo or Kido that has neither a Shikai or Bankai beats another shinigami who has all of that with only his power.

Not only that been shown in flash back where he looked like a teenager and still had his zanpaktou

Currently hes just learning how he used to fight to release the limits he put on himself
Pretty much. It's very consistent with Zaraki's character and a great way to show why Kenpachi does not know his own name or his zampakto's name.

That's not One Piece...
When were you under the impression that you didn't read Naruto all this time?

ilvcztjpg.png

damn people mad about bleach all of a sudden

even though kenpachi attained his captaincy by killing the previous captain

A guy(kenpachi) with no skill in zanjutsu, shunpo or kido that has no shikai or bankai beats another person who has all of that with just overwhelming power

been shown to have a flash back where he was a teenager and still had his zanpaktou

and now you guys are mad because he was a kid with an already extreme amount of power

Zaraki's zanpakuto is always in Shikai mode, just like Ichigo's. And people are mad, because they just saw a kid beating the most brutal and cruel captains in Soul Society's history. I think it's reasonable to act like that. The other problem is that Zaraki is learning absolutely no new abilities while training with her, just like Ichigo will never use anything else than the Getsuga. Just because.

When were you under the impression that you didn't read Naruto all this time?

ilvcztjpg.png

Zaraki's zanpakuto is always in Shikai mode, just like Ichigo's. And people are mad, because they just saw a kid beating the most brutal and cruel captains in Soul Society's history. I think it's reasonable to act like that.
It's not the first time in manga where kids are shown to be more powerful than extremely strong opponents. Come on.

It's not the first time in manga where kids are shown to be more powerful than extremely strong opponents. Come on.

It's not even new in Bleach, when you look at the ice kid and Zaraki's vice captain, Yachiru. But that doesn't make it less lazy, when we're talking about a flash back that was supposed to explain something. "He was always the strongest in SS, even as a kid" is not really satisfying.

It's not even new in Bleach, when you look at the ice kid and Zaraki's vice captain, Yachiru. But that doesn't make it less lazy, when we're talking about a flash back that was supposed to explain something. "He was always the strongest in SS, even as a kid" is not really satisfying.
I agree. But i don't think the the fight with Unohana is done yet. He might actually learn the art of the sword.

duckroll

I'm kind of surprised by your thoughts of Ceaser. He was probably the only weak point of the arc in my opinion. The constant reminders of how evil he was just seemed too over the top. It was almost as if it was being pushed down our throats because we would forget about him otherwise. Which would probably be true with Law, Vergo, and even Monet being more interesting characters. Maybe it just doesn't seem as over the top in one big chunk?

He's over the top, but no different from Moria. It's a themed adventure arc, and he plays the part of the "big bad" pretty well. In Thriller Bark, Moria is the shadow lord in a horror themed adventure. In Punk Hazard, Ceaser is the mad scientist in a scifi experiment themed adventure. I don't think he has much depth, but I don't think he really needs much depth since the arc basically carries itself. It's crazy at every turn, there's always something weird and wacky around the corner, and for the actual "depth" in terms of characterizations and connections to the larger One Piece world, there's Law, Smoker, and the Doflamingo angle.

In the larger scheme of things, Ceaser is just a powerful lackey with a shitload of resources. But as the central villain of the arc, he plays his role really well. More than I can say for the villains in Fishman Island!

Zeppu

Caeser deserved a good ol' face fault.

Best part of One Piece is how imaginative and different all
male
characters are.

Fox318

Naruto

Sauce is getting a cheap upgrade?

What the hell is his motivation anymore? I have no idea what he is even doing in the story anymore. Why doesn't he go work at a hot topic or Starbucks or something? Sauce's gang is still working with him for why exactly? What about Karen? Shouldn't she have escaped by now if there is truly no ninjas in the village?

Azure J

One Piece

Interesting setup there with Law's ultimatum. Also good to see that the straw hats are moving on with just a few more marine allies under their belt.

Bleach

Things I learned this chapter:

- Zaraki is a sayian.
- Unohana is horny for Zaraki (seriously, wtf at the level of obsession there :lol)
- I waited how many years for the idea of Zaraki actually grasping more than his brawler style of fighting or for Unohana to do something of merit and chances are I'm getting neither and Unohana's going to die here.
- I'm still moderately intrigued in how this will play out.

duckroll

EDIT:

I liked Caesar. He was a nice change.
Vergo was boring as all hell though.

I felt Vergo was just there to close the "who's the spy in the Marines" plot point, and serve as someone for Smoker and Law to team up against. Other than that, he didn't have much of a role at all. At first I thought he would be Joker, but nope, someone we already know (and is even better) is Joker. Lol.

Kusagari

Bleach

Whatever. Kid Kenpachi being stronger than Unohana is ridiculously dumb.

One Piece

Law is so awesome. Gonna be interesting to see what Doflamingo does. I think this also ends any hype he had at even being near the Yonkou since the thought of pissing off Kaido is making him shit his pants.

duckroll

One Piece discussion

So, as of the current point in the story, am I correct in thinking that we don't actually know who the current Shichibukai are? It seems those who bother keeping up with the news in the world (like Robin) are aware of the changes, but Luffy obviously doesn't know and doesn't care, and Oda doesn't seem to have provided readers with an update yet.

Mihawk, Doflamingo, Hancock, and Law are known. Is Kuma still a Shichibukai? Considering how he has been brain-wiped by he Pacifista experiments, and how he was sitting protecting the Thousand Sunny for two years, I'm surprised he can still be considered an active pirate. Moria seems to be out, Crocodile is still out, Jinbe and Blackbeard definitely quit. So does that mean there are 2-3 new Shichibukai we don't know about yet?

Law is already a Shichibukai, so I wonder why he wants Doflamingo to resign. It's not an empty space would do him any direct good...

Aguirre

One Piece discussion

So, as of the current point in the story, am I correct in thinking that we don't actually know who the current Shichibukai are? It seems those who bother keeping up with the news in the world (like Robin) are aware of the changes, but Luffy obviously doesn't know and doesn't care, and Oda doesn't seem to have provided readers with an update yet.

Mihawk, Doflamingo, Hancock, and Law are known. Is Kuma still a Shichibukai? Considering how he has been brain-wiped by he Pacifista experiments, and how he was sitting protecting the Thousand Sunny for two years, I'm surprised he can still be considered an active pirate. Moria seems to be out, Crocodile is still out, Jinbe and Blackbeard definitely quit. So does that mean there are 2-3 new Shichibukai we don't know about yet?

Law is already a Shichibukai, so I wonder why he wants Doflamingo to resign. It's not an empty space would do him any direct good...

it seems to be that when luffy is told any news, that's when we, the readers, find out too

Zeppu

One Piece discussion

Some speculate Buggy may have become one. I'd think Kuma still is one as well. I think Law's intention is that he knows that the Shichibukai title greatly protects Doflamingo and his underground activities from the Marines and he knows that as soon as he'd quit the Admirals would make it high priority to shut them down, cutting down supply lines to Kaidou. Law's got some beef with Kaidou and it seems that his only business with Dofla isn't just the Smile so he's trying to leave him unprotected.

That's my take from it all. Law doesn't want to take on Doflamingo directly but he knows he won't be able to beat Kaidou if the relationship between them continues to exist.

duckroll

it seems to be that when luffy is told any news, that's when we, the readers, find out too

Not always. Sometimes things are revealed in scenes involving other characters, or common folk discussing news, or villains scheming. Luffy finding out something new is the most common and direct way of revealing information because Luffy is the main character of the story, but that's not always the case.

Also, Luffy knew about who Ace really was since he was a kid, but the readers only found it out when Oda activated the Plot Twist button. So the reader doesn't always know everything Luffy does either.

Naruto 618

Started getting excited about the possible Hashirama vs Madara, Tobirama action, and the 2nd Minato reunion.

Probably won't happen though.

RagnarokX

One Piece discussion

Buggy is most likely a Shichibukai now. He got a letter from the World Government last time we saw him.

Law seems to be doing this to antagonize Doflamingo. Whatever choice Doflamingo makes is a bad choice. Maybe there is some benefit to Doflamingo being considered an enemy by the World Government that we aren't aware of. Remember that Doflamingo gets orders from above the marines.

duckroll

Buggy is most likely a Shichibukai now. He got a letter from the World Government last time we saw him.

Law seems to be doing this to antagonize Doflamingo. Whatever choice Doflamingo makes is a bad choice. Maybe there is some benefit to Doflamingo being considered an enemy by the World Government that we aren't aware of. Remember that Doflamingo gets orders from above the marines.

Buggy would be the worst Shichibukai the world has ever seen. Has to be a joke. >_<

I think that Doflamingo's connections are interesting. He seems to have deep connections with both the World Government, the pirate network in the New World, and also an underground operation which even had a spy in the Marines. He's definitely scheming something that Law is aware of, and Law is trying to derail it hard.

Stulaw

Naruto
Imagine if one of the Hokage said, nope, this isn't happening, and just undid the Edo Tensei, I mean, all of them must know the Jutsu, and all of them are known as the most powerful Ninja of their respective times, and if they've got their full powers back, like Madara has, then no-one could stand in their way.

Kusagari

The thing with Doflamingo is he has connections with the Gorosei themselves. So just quitting the Shichibukai might not be that bad for him. It also might make them look more into his activity though and I doubt they know about his alliance with Kaido.

Buggy would be the worst Shichibukai the world has ever seen. Has to be a joke. >_<

I think that Doflamingo's connections are interesting. He seems to have deep connections with both the World Government, the pirate network in the New World, and also an underground operation which even had a spy in the Marines. He's definitely scheming something that Law is aware of, and Law is trying to derail it hard.

A joke character being apart of the world powers because he lucky seems like something Oda would do with him .
Some people seem to like the idea , truth is i don't care either way since the Shichibukai don't mean as much as they used to.

The thing with Doflamingo is he has connections with the Gorosei themselves. So just quitting the Shichibukai might not be that bad for him. It also might make them look more into his activity though and I doubt they know about his alliance with Kaido.

Pretty sure those connections are only because of the warlord status. Baby 5 said he couldnt return to Dressrosa if he quit

Naruto
Imagine if one of the Hokage said, nope, this isn't happening, and just undid the Edo Tensei, I mean, all of them must know the Jutsu, and all of them are known as the most powerful Ninja of their respective times, and if they've got their full powers back, like Madara has, then no-one could stand in their way.

Again, I doubt Orochimaru would risk summoning them, if they'd be able to cross his plan that easily.

He wouldn't challenge the ones who could overpower him that easily. He's not that stu-

nRW2r.jpg

XjH6d.jpg

Nevermind.

Otogokogoro 2
tumblr_mheuhdDti31s3wn78o1_500.jpg

Jun is really good character and still so glad Saki-san took a liking to him and is keeping him company. He can't just work and be lonely all the time. Saki-san is also funny at times and liked his smirk while with his coworker. Guess he will give Jun the time of his life and new experiences.

IHaveIce

Banned

Yeah also he is called "young master" by everyone.. so who is the "old master" we saw once in the shadows. If he resides on Dress Rosa and Flamingo can't come back to it after turning down the Shichibukai is the island probably a World Government island? Is the "old master" a really importan person for the WG?

Bleach 525

Nice little flashback with Kenpachi proving why he's always benn the most broken character in Bleach.

Fight better not end next week. Still need to see Unohana going all out.

One Piece 697

Law is the best. Maybe we'll get to see Bepo and his crew next time.

The farewell was nice, Doflamingo must really care about Baby 5 and Buffalo if he doesn't want to kill them. Still love how Law keeps pissing him off.

Yeah also he is called "young master" by everyone.. so who is the "old master" we saw once in the shadows. If he resides on Dress Rosa and Flamingo can't come back to it after turning down the Shichibukai is the island probably a World Government island? Is the "old master" a really importan person for the WG?

My theory is that Doflamingo is the son of a gorosei who somehow became a pirate. Through their connections they allowed him to become a warlord to keep him out of the marine's eye. It was probably an ultimatum he had to accept unless he wanted to be hounded

duckroll

Don't forget Vergo's warning to Law - because he knows nothing of Doflamingo's past, "he will never be able to beat him", or something like that. There's definitely something Oda is setting up which will have a huge impact on the story, with regards to Doflamingo's background and history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom