• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
One Piece

Nice good-bye scene, even if it was a little long.
And yes, Law is the man. Either way, Doflamingo loses.

The known Seven Warlords post-timeskip are Mihawk, Doflamingo, Kuma, Hancock, Law, and possibly Buggy. We don't know the seventh yet.

We also don't know two of the three admirals ever since Kuzan/Aokiji stepped down and Sakazuki/Akainu was promoted to Fleet Admiral.

IHaveIce

Banned
My theory is that Doflamingo is the son of a gorosei who somehow became a pirate. Through their connections they allowed him to become a warlord to keep him out of the marine's eye. It was probably an ultimatum he had to accept unless he wanted to be hounded
Yep these were exactly my first thoughts.
Don't forget Vergo's warning to Law - because he knows nothing of Doflamingo's past, "he will never be able to beat him", or something like that. There's definitely something Oda is setting up which will have a huge impact on the story, with regards to Doflamingo's background and history.

I hope so! Right now there are many possibilities how the plot goes on, I'm pretty excited.

scy

Kurogane 68 (END) - Wrap up this fight and WHELP GUYS THIS MANGA IS OVER (sorry about those hyped teams!).

;____;

Naruto 618 - A lot of explanation for this. All in the same chapter. Feels rushed. Like, "cancellation imminent" kind of rush. But it's Naruto so that's not really on the table so ... what the hell?

Bleach 525 - "My sin is being weak."

...well...okay.

One Piece 697 - Things are heating up. I kind of expect Doflamingo to just give Law a hearty "fuck you" and we'll get that clash that leads right into Kaidou.

Don't forget Vergo's warning to Law - because he knows nothing of Doflamingo's past, "he will never be able to beat him", or something like that. There's definitely something Oda is setting up which will have a huge impact on the story, with regards to Doflamingo's background and history.

Doflamingo has been hyped up for so damn long that we really need this fight to go down. I'm hoping for it to be an Alabata-esque arc in Dressrosa.

KingJ2002

Naruto:

It's very very cool to see the hokage's revived. Now this fight can go all sorts of ways... seeing Orochimaru get his arms back means he's back to form and can unleash all sorts of jutsu now. Also with the other hokage... i've noticed they have no seal inside them (yet) to be controlled. If Orochimaru does attempt to control them.. they can undo them. Now seeing the 4th back in action also confirms that he'll hold some of the nine tails chakra... which means... if the 4th gets eaten by the 10 tails... that thing will grow stupid strong. Either way... i think the Tobi / Madara dance is coming to an end soon and the Naruto Vs. Sasuke fight is about to begin.

Bleach:

Dope chapter.... i thought his sword was reviving him from death... but it's actually unohana doing it. I dont know how Kenpachi could be controlled if he was 100 percent... sounds like he'd be able to cut down anyone. Either way... i hope they both survive the battle. Need to see Unohana's bankai in action.

Yonafunu

Naruto

]
naruto_ch245_p06_07.jpg

edit: I hope this is okay...

ryan13ts

One Piece:

Omg, Law has me swooning. What a smug, brilliant bastard! Either way this goes down, Doflamingo is screwed. I dont see him giving up his Shichibukai position though, he seems like he's gotten WAY too comfortable with the perks it gives him, so I'm guessing he's either going to try to get Caesar back by tracking down Law and the SH's, or just say "screw you" to Law's proposition, and take his chances with Kaidou.

Speaking of which, this Kaido guy has to be one bad mofo. Law said he's the strongest "creature" and even Doflamingo seems scared of the idea of not giving Kaido what he wants, and Doflamingo is the one of the most brazen, unfrightened pople in all of One Piece, so this says a lot about Kaido. I'm guessing he must have some insane Devil Fruit power, although I'd be even more impressed if he was just flat out monstrously strong without having to rely on a DF.

Buggy would be the worst Shichibukai the world has ever seen. Has to be a joke. >_<

I think that Doflamingo's connections are interesting. He seems to have deep connections with both the World Government, the pirate network in the New World, and also an underground operation which even had a spy in the Marines. He's definitely scheming something that Law is aware of, and Law is trying to derail it hard.

The speculation is that he was shown arguing with Shanks giving people the impression he was stronger then he is because "wow someone stood up to shanks and wasn't stomped" also all the pirates who follow him after the events of impel down are powerful and if buggy wanted he could do a lot of damage with them. Making him a warlord allows them to keep him on a leash. Obviously we know he's a joke but the world government doesn't.

duckroll

I hope that if they ever reveal Buggy as a Shichibukai, we never see him again after that except in Cover Stories - just like Enel. Loooool. :D

"Buggy's Adventures in the New World as a Shichibukai" <-- potential for best Cover Story in ages!

Yonafunu

I hope that if they ever reveal Buggy as a Shichibukai, we never see him again after that except in Cover Stories - just like Enel. Loooool. :D

"Buggy's Adventures in the New World as a Shichibukai" <-- potential for best Cover Story in ages!

That would be AMAZING!

Bleach

WTFISTHISSHIT.

So he had it all along but was holding back all those years? LAME

She basically sucks? EVEN MORE LAME.

One Piece

BISONYES.gif

Sounds like Kaido is Dom's biggest customer and could be the source of his and/or his crew's power?. Gonna be interesting seeing what Dom's descision will be after placing him in a fucked situtation. (1st option, 2nd option, fuck you i'm gonna go with the 3rd option)

and in usual OP tradition in this thread, Law for New Strawhat plz LOL

RagnarokX

The speculation is that he was shown arguing with Shanks giving people the impression he was stronger then he is because "wow someone stood up to shanks and wasn't stomped" also all the pirates who follow him after the events of impel down are powerful and if buggy wanted he could do a lot of damage with them. Making him a warlord allows them to keep him on a leash. Obviously we know he's a joke but the world government doesn't.
Plus it was revealed that he was on Roger's ship and he claimed he wanted to beat Whitebeard.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

That reveal is coming, you just have to BELIEVE.

rouken

i think it would be awesome that he was hired to become sort of an antagonist pirate to luffy, because the marines knows that they go way back. and then a cover story shows that he's been on luffy's trail but never really catches up to him. :)

One Piece

and in usual OP tradition in this thread, Law for New Strawhat plz LOL

i raise my prediction, momo or kinemon for new nakama

One Piece

Not always. Sometimes things are revealed in scenes involving other characters, or common folk discussing news, or villains scheming. Luffy finding out something new is the most common and direct way of revealing information because Luffy is the main character of the story, but that's not always the case.

huh, there's lots of shit happening outside of Luffys view. The whole buildup for the war arc happened ,,in the background'' for years, same goes for Don Flamingo, Blackbeard becoming warlord and other plots.

Naruto

Now bringing people from the stomach of a death god is really over the top. Christ.

Bleach

A bit disappointed about Zaraki just getting back his instinct. It reminds me of when Hollow Ichigo told Ichigo that instinct is the most vital part of fighting is instinct or something like that.

Fuckkkkkkkkk, the novel is real. Fuck.
Didn't Yamamoto try to teach him and gave up after a day? Also, Zaraki refused to use kendo, because enemies would die on him too quickly, iirc.

Yes, because Yamamoto feared for Kenpachi´s potential as it´s stated in chapter 521. It´s been a part of Zaraki´s personality to weaken himself to enjoy the fight, so this does not upset or shock me. It´s just disappointed int he fact that he should learn some kind of art of sword, but i´m still hoping that he will when it´s all said and done.

one piece

First half is utter shit. What a waste. Second half of the chapter was really good. Seeing the Joker this upset is really a treat.

IHaveIce

Banned
Oh I also have to say I'm really disappointed by the Zaraki vs Unohana fight till now, I was really excited for it, but right now I don't even care if they do it off-panel, because it is so boring :/

Let's watch Ichigo being beat up by the living swords.

SykoTech

Naruto

I think I'll drop this until the fight scenes stat up again. Not interested in any explanations or hisory given how it's just been ridiculousl stupid for some time now. Just give me some awesome fights and then write "THE END".

Good time o cach up on One Piece I guess.

Pimpwerx

One Piece
Nice transition chapter. Doflamingo is pissed. Law is cunning. Luffy is probably going into this really naive. I kinda expect the Strawhats to get owned like at Shabondy, but I don't know if that'll happen with the Heart Pirates helping out. Shit is getting real. I like.

Naruto
You know why Edo Tensai was banned? Because it breaks the story. I liked everything about this chapter up until he summoned the 4 hokage. I get that he released them from the death reaper, but still. Anyway, Orochimaru is always interesting, so good chapter.

Bleach
Is this what Kyouraku was alluding to? Unohana had to die because she had to make sure Kenpachi was strong again? I thought she was gonna help him release his shikai. Good chapter, though I want to see what Ichigo is doing. PEACE.

Bleach
tumblr_mhfpabSrmx1rhenqeo1_500.jpg

Didn't realize Unohana would be so weak and fragile to lose to a kid. Pretty disappointing that makes me even question those claims of her being the msot diabolical in all Soul Society and even her current strength. Perhaps that is why she was moved to the healing crew. She used to have so much potential to be a good character but to disappoint and even now in this chapter, to seemingly lose again. The fragile scene even looked as if her arm was severely broked too. Kid Zaraki back story should have been a bit longer as he is a good design, I wonder why he wasn't even given a speaking role back then.

naruto

whoah this is interesting. freeing the hokages from the death god seemed really freakin easy though.

but now orochimaru is back to full power as well so well see some interesting jutsus again.

MCD

I got the feeling that Zoro will clash with Law somewhere at the end of this alliance and it will be GLORIOUS.

One Piece
tumblr_mhg8pkXqUT1s4egmjo1_500.png

One of the better looking den den mushi's. The rules dictating the marines actions are pretty bonkers at times and I think this one, like past events in the series, proved it. Failing to be willing to give out gratitutde to ones enemies even though lives is at stakes is odd, even if they are pirates. Fortunately named marines arent governed by this (well at least Tashigi and Smoker) but the others made it a really painful few pages to skim. Law Doflamingo having previous history seemed like it just came from nowhere unless I missed something, but what would they be working together for, or for that matter, why would Traffy need to get involved without Doflamingo. Would all three be necessary to get involved with Kaidou. This is really getting quite complex too fast.

I got the feeling that Zoro will clash with Law somewhere at the end of this alliance and it will be GLORIOUS.

I don't see Law backstabbing the Straw Hats, at least not without being sorry about it.

Maybe when Luffy bumps off a Yonkou and takes their place Law can be the guy who actually runs shit.

Kurita

One Piece
One of the better looking den den mushi's. The rules dictating the marines actions are pretty bonkers at times and I think this one, like past events in the series, proved it. Failing to be willing to give out gratitutde to ones enemies even though lives is at stakes is odd, even if they are pirates. Fortunately named marines arent governed by this (well at least Tashigi and Smoker) but the others made it a really painful few pages to skim. Law Doflamingo having previous history seemed like it just came from nowhere unless I missed something, but what would they be working together for, or for that matter, why would Traffy need to get involved without Doflamingo. Would all three be necessary to get involved with Kaidou. This is really getting quite complex too fast.
You're kidding right? They were working together, Vergo was sent by Doflamingo to kill Law...
Did you read the arc?

Kusagari

One Piece
tumblr_mhg8pkXqUT1s4egmjo1_500.png

DTL, the entire last 20 chapters have been about Doflamingo and Law's history.

You really do not read the manga at all, do you?

Stinky

One Piece

Good chapter, really liked the Law/Doflamingo conversation. It was straight up mafia blackmail, with the "decapitated" heads and everything.

Bleach

Kidpachi was cool I guess

Naruto

I know someone further up already asked this but I'm just as confused, what is Sasuke's motivation again? Isn't he over destroying Konoha?

Mr. Fix

One Piece

A couple subtle confirmations:

- There are new Admiral replacements - I figured they were restructuring the whole set-up with only Kizaru as an Admiral

- Dressrosa is most likely located at Mariejois, or close to it at least

I actually feel kinda bad for Doflamingo. Would the Admirals really want to hunt him down personally? That can't be the only reason why Law wants him to quit. Also it does indeed speak volumes at how frightening Kaidou is if even Doflamingo's worried about him.

He's over the top, but no different from Moria. It's a themed adventure arc, and he plays the part of the "big bad" pretty well. In Thriller Bark, Moria is the shadow lord in a horror themed adventure. In Punk Hazard, Ceaser is the mad scientist in a scifi experiment themed adventure. I don't think he has much depth, but I don't think he really needs much depth since the arc basically carries itself. It's crazy at every turn, there's always something weird and wacky around the corner, and for the actual "depth" in terms of characterizations and connections to the larger One Piece world, there's Law, Smoker, and the Doflamingo angle.

In the larger scheme of things, Ceaser is just a powerful lackey with a shitload of resources. But as the central villain of the arc, he plays his role really well. More than I can say for the villains in Fishman Island!

I really liked this arc also. It helps that it was filled with the other long-established characters. It definitely needs to happen more often now that we're in the 2nd half. It's great that even though Caesar is a lame ass villain, he could still be used as a catalyst like this.

One Piece discussion

So, as of the current point in the story, am I correct in thinking that we don't actually know who the current Shichibukai are? It seems those who bother keeping up with the news in the world (like Robin) are aware of the changes, but Luffy obviously doesn't know and doesn't care, and Oda doesn't seem to have provided readers with an update yet.

Mihawk, Doflamingo, Hancock, and Law are known. Is Kuma still a Shichibukai? Considering how he has been brain-wiped by he Pacifista experiments, and how he was sitting protecting the Thousand Sunny for two years, I'm surprised he can still be considered an active pirate. Moria seems to be out, Crocodile is still out, Jinbe and Blackbeard definitely quit. So does that mean there are 2-3 new Shichibukai we don't know about yet?

Law is already a Shichibukai, so I wonder why he wants Doflamingo to resign. It's not an empty space would do him any direct good...

Isn't Buggy a Shichibukai now?

My guess would be that at one point they did invite Buggy, but gave him to boot once they captured all the Impel Down peeps he gathered. Either that, or he's still being used as a icon, but I really doubt that.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Oh I also have to say I'm really disappointed by the Zaraki vs Unohana fight till now, I was really excited for it, but right now I don't even care if they do it off-panel, because it is so boring :/

Let's watch Ichigo being beat up by the living swords.

There's really nothing else to show with Kenpachi after the flashback.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
All Big 3 were pretty meh again, 'cept OP's second half.
Toriko looks like it'll save the week though... again...

upandaway

Law Piece

That was just ruthless. I doubt Doflamingo's gonna do exactly as he's told without getting some retaliation ready, but at this point I expect Law to Death Note his way through all of Doflamingo's possible moves, haha.
If Doflamingo really stays Shichibukai and goes into war with Kaidou, that's bad news for Law, so obviously he's not gonna just put up the ultimatum and sit back. He has to have plan B's all up the everywhere.

Also, not to forget this thing (I actually remembered the exact chapter number, whoa):
LVddnoS.png

Meaning, Doflamingo's only staying as Shichibukai due to some deal with the WG. That's probably what has his panties smoking up right now.

While we're on "general discussion" subject in OP:

- Coby could be one of the new Admirals (hahahaha- oh whoops, sorry)
- Jewelry Bonney might be involved with this arc, now that it seems to involve the WG a lot more (I still haven't forgotten how she cried when Squardo stabbed Whitebeard, there's a lot going on with her)
- Buggy definitely got an invitation to the Shichibukai (the bat who gave him the letter is the same bat we saw in the same context before), but we don't know if he accepted.. He'll have to get rid of his crew. I also wonder what's up with Captain John's treasure and if he found it already.
- I still haven't forgotten about that crazy weird X on both Doflamingo's and Mihawk's arms!! Anyone remember that? If it's something important, that could definitely pop up this arc. I remember Mihawk never knew about Doflamingo and Moria so they can't be "that" way, I wonder what it is if it's even anything.

- I wonder if we'll start hearing about Doflamingo's "New Era" talks again, it seemed like a big deal but the current situation doesn't really call for it.

He's Oda's favorite character. No matter what happens, we'll see him again, and he'll likely play a big role.

Kusagari

Law Piece

- Buggy definitely got an invitation to the Shichibukai (the bat who gave him the letter is the same bat we saw in the same context before), but we don't know if he accepted.. He'll have to get rid of his crew. I also wonder what's up with Captain John's treasure and if he found it already.

Why would he have to get rid of his crew?

None of the Shichibukai actually do.

upandaway

Why would he have to get rid of his crew?

None of the Shichibukai actually do.
They still don't exactly go everywhere with them, they're just... their crew, somewhere. There's a lot less freedom in using them which Mr. 3 would definitely want to avoid (if he stays as Buggy's secret strategist :lol).

But you're right that it's not an end-all thing.

Same Difference 1-6 end
tumblr_mhgfs4iiDh1qbxqfpo1_250.png

Really was funny how it started with these two powerful workers working in different towers in some large company in JPN, who were so attractive that just about every man and women were around them and trying to get them. It was said that just them looking at you (like Ozaki) could cause any women to get pregnant, and a running thing was when he would look at them they would faint. Over the top but pretty funny. Of course this led to interesting dynamic between him and Tsuburaya who he started to fll for and whom may have had feelings for him as they attempted to figure out who was the top and bottom in the relationship and go through several rounds of that. At the end was shocked over who ended up being the seme of sorts. Good read and purchase and the one shot on Glasses and Twins was kind of funny, to think both twins would fall in love with Uta, Uta quite lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom