• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrokles

Neo Member
One Piece 698

When I read there'd be a break next week before the spoilers hit (once again glad I always avoid those before the chapter) I just knew there'd be a cliffhanger of this calibre. :-(

I'm not quite sure whether I like the New World being divided like this, but it's definitely an intriguing idea. It also implies that there will be fewer stand-alone island arcs and more longer sagas. Kaidou having 500 fruit could make Oda use duplicates. I guess it depends on how scientific (elaborated on by Vegapunk later, duplicates more likely) or supernatural (magical limit, left ambiguous) devil fruits are.

Doflamingo being completely taken out by Ao Kiji for the whole arc (and subsequently series probably) is unlikely seeing how long and much he's been built up. I just don't see all that Doflamingo hype as a mere introduction to Kaidou. He'll probably get away right away or after realizing how much stronger Ao Kiji is after fighting a bit.

Franky's new haircuts all the time are so weird.

pI95yNE.png

I like how he reacts just like Chopper to perceived praise.

It's annoying that he is considered less than law and all the other pirates because he disappeared for two year and doesn't take part in all the scheming shennanigans

We all know this is just so we can get all-over-the-world reactions when he takes down the first Yonkou or something like that and we'll like it then. It's understandable enough that the assessments of Luffy and Law are like this that I don't mind it.

What's Law's crew at anyways?

Luffy saying "Our crew and Tora-kun's/Trafy's crew" makes it likely we'll see them in the next arc. Law might've told Luffy something about his crew's whereabouts when he made the alliance so Luffy can say that with certainty.

Also Sanji's warning to Law was great, poor Law has no idea what he's in for.

My favorite comedy part of the chapter.

Really this is the first chapter that's given a hint as to what's going on with Doflamingo's devil fruit. We knew he could control people and cut shit, which seemed like an odd combinatino, but I think this is the first time they've shown those actual strands coming from his fingers. Seems pretty clear to me now that it's a "puppetmaster" fruit. He can control people by connecting the strands and twiddling his fingers, but the strands themselves are razor-sharp, and he can wield them as a cutting weapon.
Didn't we see the strands from his fingers in Jaya?

Considering his hand movements whenever he used what we assumed to be his fruit powers in the past it's pretty obvious that his devil fruit is something like that. It's probably the most common theory for his powers.

Steroyd

Years of training, Captain level strength, df user...Smoker should have at least done some type of damage. In the image, Doflamingo's chest looks pristine and the entirety of his body and clothes are unscathed.

Er... Doflamingo came out in pristine condition during the Marineford war, and that had all of the New World's best where Smoker also got jobbered by Boa Hancock.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Man that'd put him nearly on Buggy's level. He must be intense.

Buggy vs Donflamingo would be an interesting fight. As far as I can tell Donflamingo's strings wouldn't be able to cut Buggy at all, it might be a Luffy vs Enel scenario if Donflamingo's powers aren't more complicated. Buggy's legend needs to grow more, if only for the comedy it would bring, so I hope to god it happens.

One Piece 698
Doflamingo being completely taken out by Ao Kiji for the whole arc (and subsequently series probably) is unlikely seeing how long and much he's been built up. I just don't see all that Doflamingo hype as a mere introduction to Kaidou. He'll probably get away right away or after realizing how much stronger Ao Kiji is after fighting a bit.

Shouldn't Doflamingo easily defeat Aokiji. Aokiji was already shown to be the weakest of the admirals even losing to Akainu, who depressingly and embarrassingly spared his life, when it mattered most, and now, rumored to be missing a limb, ought to be significantly weaker than even Doflamingo. The fight may be intense but I think its outcome has already been decided.

Buggy will be to Luffy as Whitebeard was to Gol D Roger. Buggy's Era is coming.

Hentai Ouji To Warawanai Neko 1-17

Lots of shout outs. Reminds me of To Love Ru except not as blatantly smutty.
d3Rc5HU.jpg

Wiseblade

Sasuke

I really should have been outraged last week, but it's only sinking in now after reading their zombies talk. These four where the only people who managed to stay dead, and Orochimaru removed that seal like it was nothing. The First and Second have already been back once before! Coming after half of Konoha dying and being revived in the space of a day just makes it worse. Seriously, It's just approaching Dragonball levels of foolishness.

One Piece

If there was any doubt left, I'd say this confirms Doflamingo's fruit as a Paramecia that allows him to generate razor sharp strings that can be used to control people.

Also, HOW DOES FRANKY PUT ON NEW CLOTHES? There's no way he could get sleeves past his gigantic arms. Anyone know Japanese and the SBS address?

Steroyd

Shouldn't Doflamingo easily defeat Aokiji. Aokiji was already shown to be the weakest of the admirals even losing to Akainu, who depressingly and embarrassingly spared his life, when it mattered most, and now, rumored to be missing a limb, ought to be significantly weaker than even Doflamingo. The fight may be intense but I think its outcome has already been decided.

Someone needs to re-read the Marineford arc again.

"even losing to Akainu"

Akainu only had trouble against two people in the war, Whitebeard (strongest man alive) and Shanks (one of the other 4 Emperors), plus take into account that Akainu vs Aokiji fight on Punk Hazard lasted 3 whole days, meaning it must have been a pretty close match, and Aokiji losing a limb doesn't mean much if he's already made of ice and can just generate a prosthetic limb with his own ice powers, and who's to say Akainu himself got away from that fight unscathed?

You need to re-evaluate how "strength" works in One Piece, because we're not dealing with DBZ power levels.

Cajun

Neo Member
One Piece

I'm just hoping we get to see some of the Aokiji/Akainu fight in a flashback. I mean, Aokiji has returned to site of the battle, so this is one of the best possible times to give some information.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Someone needs to re-read the Marineford arc again.

"even losing to Akainu"

Akainu only had trouble against two people in the war, Whitebeard (strongest man alive) and Shanks (one of the other 4 Emperors), plus take into account that Akainu vs Aokiji fight on Punk Hazard lasted 3 whole days, meaning it must have been a pretty close match, and Aokiji losing a limb doesn't mean much if he's already made of ice and can just generate a prosthetic limb with his own ice powers, and who's to say Akainu himself got away from that fight unscathed?

You need to re-evaluate how "strength" works in One Piece, because we're not dealing with DBZ power levels.

10 days actually
And yes, power levels are meaningless. As are bounties.
Bounties only reflect what the world government sees as dangerous. They see Luffy as a huge danger so he's worth 400,000,000. They see Chopper as nothing more than the crew's pet, so he's only worth 50. Had someone from the Marines or WG seen what Chopper can really do, he'd be worth a lot more.

But yeah, this isn't DBZ.

Kreed

One Piece 698:

Doflamingo having Emperor Haki is BS, but what ever, Oda has to keep him a threat to the SH so it's excusable. Still, Smoker continues to show how irrelevant he is (can't believe people were arguing with me that his character was important a few months ago, now he's Doflamingo's foot warmer). I doubt Aokiji will own Doflamingo (lol, like we will actually see the fight play out), but at the very least it will hurt his pride enough to call Law back and resign from his position. Kind of annoyed the Samurai is sticking around for the inevitable Doflamingo crew battle, as that will likely mean at least one of the female SH members will miss out on fighting again, but I should give up on ever seeing Robin get a real fight. Anyway, chapter was good for an info dump.

Kusagari

He's never really seemed that ambitious to me. And Emperor Haki is still supposed to be rare, even among the top tier of pirates.

He's a natural born leader and Monet said that she believes he'll become Pirate King.

He's clearly more ambitious than we were led to believe before this arc.

Wiseblade

Wasn't the chance of getting Emperor's Haki like one in a million or something? Or did I misread that?

That's what the crowd at Amazon Lily said. But what do they know? They're only experts on Haki and its uses.

He's a natural born leader and Monet said that she believes he'll become Pirate King.

He's clearly more ambitious than we were led to believe before this arc.

That's true. But Law still sees Doflamingo as a stepping stone to Kaidou and he's in a position to know better.

He's never really seemed that ambitious to me. And Emperor Haki is still supposed to be rare, even among the top tier of pirates.

What? he always had that vibe that he's going for more shit plus the influence he seems to have. He even talked of a new age that he wanted to push also

What the arc did was to show a clearer version of what he wants to do and its same thing that Luffy also wants lol

That's true. But Law still sees Doflamingo as a stepping stone to Kaidou and he's in a position to know better.

Does he really see him as a stepping stone or just as an opportunity to get closer to Kaidou? I see it as a little telling that he really didn't go directly at Doflamingo where it seems as if he is setting up to do so with Kaidou. Law could have wanted to avoid Doflamingo as much as possible for all we know, but he saw an opportunity to get closer to Kaidou.

Naruto 619

Hashirama's personality and Tobirama turning out to be an asshole was basically the highlight of the chapter.

Explanation about love was genuinely stupid.

One Piece 698

Put me on the side of Aokiji > Doflamingo

I bet all the yonkou and very important character have the emperor´s haki.

Man, it´s really bothering me how Smoker has become such a fodder. Dammit. I thought him moving to G5 will give him a significant power boost.

upandaway

One Piece....

Why did they have this stupid translation... every sentence had 3 dots after it... it made things really annoying to read and everyone were out of character. I don't know, man, I was all happy when I saw MS already had it out by the time I could read the chapter, and then it's not any more enjoyable than the usual panda.

ANYWAY WHO CARES LOOK AT THIS CHAPTER

Aokiji always has the best DON scenes. He's the DONest guy. Also, lol Smoker. He just can't catch a break.
I love Law's plan. Lure Doflamingo from Dressrosa to him while going to Dressrosa himself :lol the look on Doflamingo's face will be amazing. I wonder what "Green Bit" is.

This was posted before but oh well:
qhsFYKv.png

I was dead here. Dead. I think someone spread some laughter gas. Franky's hair was also pretty incredible.

When Punk Hazard first started, me and some other peeps said how nice it would be to have another Alabasta-like arc spanning lots of islands, and now that it's pretty clear that's happening, I'm really excited. Just like with Ceasar, I think a lot of people will complain here again about the pacing when they realize we're focusing on Doflamingo when he isn't the true "big bad" (if it happens, that is), but I welcome that.

From what I understood from Law's explanation, it sounds like the arc will be a "Battleships" type thing with sniffing out where the real target is based on other intel. I'm in love with that setup, so I hope that's a good guess.

One Piece 698:

Doflamingo having Emperor Haki is BS
I'd like to bring up the whole Young Master business. As he appears now, Doflamingo might not be Emperor Haki material - but you don't know what kind of history he has behind him. At the very least, thanks to Vergo we know that there's a secret to him.

The obvious speculation right now would be, I guess, that he's blood related to some really incredible people while he's still in the process of becoming one himself. That would explain his current position while still having Emperor Haki.

Wiseblade

What? he always had that vibe that he's going for more shit plus the influence he seems to have. He even talked of a new age that he wanted to push also

What the arc did was to show a clearer version of what he wants to do and its same thing that Luffy also wants lol
Yeah, but when he said that it seemed like he was predicting trends rather than talking about his own plans in motion. I had him pegged as trying to profit off of the efforts of others rather than putting effort in himself.

Does he really see him as a stepping stone or just as an opportunity to get closer to Kaidou? I see it as a little telling that he really didn't go directly at Doflamingo where it seems as if he is setting up to do so with Kaidou. Law could have wanted to avoid Doflamingo as much as possible for all we know, but he saw an opportunity to get closer to Kaidou.
My point is that the only reason Law has mentioned for going after Doflamingo's business is because he's a Kaido's biggest arms dealer. The plan is "to take out the four emperors", not "Take out Doflamingo and the four emperors".
I bet all the yonkou and very important character have the emperor´s haki.

Man, it´s really bothering me how Smoker has become such a fodder. Dammit. I thought him moving to G5 will give him a significant power boost.
Well, duh. They're the emperors. I'd be disappointed if they didn't have Emperor's Haki.

And why are you bothered about Smoker getting Worfed? He's been like this the whole time. Smacked down by Dragon, captured by Crocodile etc. Didn't he get lectured at one point for relying on his Devil Fruit too much?

Akito

Yamada 46
Yoshikawa is still pretty bad at drawing action scene, the kick scene looks like shit. Aside from that it was a straight-forward chapter, the twist was not that surprising.

My point is that the only reason Law has mentioned for going after Doflamingo's business is because he's a Kaido's biggest arms dealer. The plan is "to take out the four emperors", not "Take out Doflamingo and the four emperors".

Yeah, but we really don't know Law's motivations at this point. His plan is taking down Kaidou, we don't know if he wants to take them all down. It was Luffy who brought up the rest of the Yonkou if I recall.

He also seems to be going out of his way to avoid Doflamingo and have someone else deal with him(the marines or Kaidou depending on his decision) rather than trying to himself.

My point is I just wouldn't see it as a reason to knock Doflamingo.

Well, duh. They're the emperors. I'd be disappointed if they didn't have Emperor's Haki.

And why are you bothered about Smoker getting Worfed? He's been like this the whole time. Smacked down by Dragon, captured by Crocodile etc. Didn't he get lectured at one point for relying on his Devil Fruit too much?

BlackBeard does not have the conqueror´s haki, yet.

Because Smoker has been Luffy´s rival/enemy for year, so his powers should have developed as much as Luffy´s after the timeskip. He should be be the first enemy that Luffy beat to show how much growth Luffy had in the past 2 years. Making him a fodder really makes him following and defeating Luffy really worthless.

upandaway

This is very likely just nonsense, but it could also be that he just didn't really use Emperor's Haki there. It could be a feint by Oda and he did something with his DF that's really similar to the Haki, but the G5 people don't know he can do it.

I'm only really saying that because Doflamingo's fruit has been a "mysterious thing" for so long that Oda might want to play around with the expectations a bit. Still likely nonsense.

This is very likely just nonsense, but it could also be that he just didn't really use Emperor's Haki there. It could be a feint by Oda and he did something with his DF that's really similar to the Haki, but the G5 people don't know he can do it.

I'm only really saying that because Doflamingo's fruit has been a "mysterious thing" for so long that Oda might want to play around with the expectations a bit. Still likely nonsense.

I kind of thought the same thing but I still haven't read the chapter so I wasn't going to throw it out there without knowing if there was some tell tale sign that it was haki.

Yeah, but when he said that it seemed like he was predicting trends rather than talking about his own plans in motion. I had him pegged as trying to profit off of the efforts of others rather than putting effort in himself.

I could see that but he seemed to be a guy that doesn't give a shit about authority and would join a group if it worked in his favor.

Should be interesting to see what his plan is given its apperently clearer now

Also the straw hats going to Dressrosa gives a chance for the other people loyal to him to show what they got (especially the old guy and lady)

Wiseblade

BlackBeard does not have the conqueror´s haki, yet.

Because Smoker has been Luffy´s rival/enemy for year, so his powers should have developed as much as Luffy´s after the timeskip. He should be be the first enemy that Luffy beat to show how much growth Luffy had in the past 2 years. Making him a fodder really makes him following and defeating Luffy really worthless.

That's part of Blackbeard's theme as a fake and mirror opposite to Luffy.

I kind of thought the same thing but I still haven't read the chapter so I wasn't going to throw it out there without knowing if there was some tell tale sign that it was haki.

No he clearly uses both Emperor's Haki and his Devil Fruit during this chapter, the chapter goes out of it's way to show both powers

Emperor's Haki

ntShFzt.png

Devil Fruit

sTXrMqT.png

Nah good chance he has COC which not really that surprising .
Haki along with COC we are going to see more and more as we go into the NW.
Which make sense since all the big boy are there .

Azure J

Random chiming in on the One Piece discussions in here:

- I thought Emperor's Haki wasn't something limited to "choice people" but something a person with exceptionally stronger will could develop over time. At least that was always my interpretation of it from what the manga gave out on it.

- That cliffhanger, oh boy. Gotta wonder how deep Doflamingo's situation is if he went straight to the offensive right from the jump. Aokiji out of nowhere was a fun little twist though.

Hentai Ouji To Warawanai Neko 1-17

I loved this panel. :lol

Sumomomo Momomo

All caught up. It's alright. I legitimately laughed out loud a few times through the course of the read though. This thing is also borderline smut anytime Sanae gets involved.

upandaway

No he clearly uses both Emperor's Haki and his Devil Fruit during this chapter, the chapter goes out of it's way to show both powers

Emperor's Haki

ntShFzt.png

Devil Fruit

sTXrMqT.png
I didn't mean that he used his normal powers to do that, but that he had some other hidden aspect to his DF that caused that effect.

Not sure why I'm trying to argue this when I agree but hey, gotta prove a point.

We've only had 7 canon characters so far confirmed to have Emperor's Haki

Luffy, Boa Hancock, Ace, Whitebeard, Shanks, Rayleigh, and now Doflamingo

Of those we've only had verbal confirmation on Hancock and both Ace and Whitebeard are dead. I don't think it's that far out of left field for Dofla to have it, honestly this is the first arc he's played a major role and we still barely know anything about him or his history.

I didn't mean that he used his normal powers to do that, but that he had some other hidden aspect to his DF that caused that effect.

Not sure why I'm trying to argue this when I agree but hey, gotta prove a point.

Fair enough, though the same way Oda clearly shows hardening by making things go black, he always does that little dramatic lines around someones face when they use emperor's.

We've only had 7 canon characters so far confirmed to have Emperor's Haki

Luffy, Boa Hancock, Ace, Whitebeard, Shanks, Rayleigh, and now Doflamingo

Of those we've only had verbal confirmation on Hancock and both Ace and Whitebeard are dead. I don't think it's that far out of left field for Dofla to have it, honestly this is the first arc he's played a major role and we still barely know anything about him or his history.

You forgot about Dragon since he has been confirm .
I expect to see more COC users at least 5 to 10 more .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom