• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shouta

That was why I wonder why it was a mistranslation. The word "love" doesn't really fit.

Not to mention I did somehow feel a little pissed at some who deemed Uchiha emo because of their inability to control their emotions. For an example, I have minor bipolar. Does it make me emo?

It was a complaint/insult I had to live with for quite some time so it did struck a nerve.

It should be love though I haven't seen the actual Japanese scan. You guys are thinking far too hard. The Uchiha clan is seen as prizing jutsu more than anything but in reality the clan valued fealty and friendship far more than anyone ever expected. Enough so that it was often difficult to control. Normally this isn't an issue, but Kekkei Genkai feeds them special chakra that creates the Sharingan when they experience loss and the more hatred they feel, the more powerful it becomes.

So yeah, basically they're Vulcans that become more powerful through emo like Grimace said, lol.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
We can safely conclude that the development of the sharingan means that the Uchiha don't keep therapists around for endemic cases of Uchiha-related Affective disorders.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Aku No Hana 40

You would think Unfortunate Popular Girl would think it was fucking weird dude starts tearing up. And ruh roh at Saeki showing up again
KuGsj.gif

Ruh roh raggy indeed.

Aku no Hana 40:

I guess this is kind of a metaphor for sex? I'm pretty sure it's been done before but I can't recall where.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Good news: Smoker and Law are confirmed to playable in One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2.

Pyrokles

Neo Member
Also, HOW DOES FRANKY PUT ON NEW CLOTHES? There's no way he could get sleeves past his gigantic arms. Anyone know Japanese and the SBS address?

An SBS would probably answer that he's like those toys that you can take apart.

- I thought Emperor's Haki wasn't something limited to "choice people" but something a person with exceptionally stronger will could develop over time. At least that was always my interpretation of it from what the manga gave out on it.

IIRC Conqueror's Haki is something you're born with and that cannot be attained through training, just controlled if you have it. The other two kinds of Haki however can be learned by everyone.

They did say he's considered the "strongest beast", which I thought is a pretty neat 1up to Whitebeard's "strongest man", so he should be pretty crazy by himself. If he's already at that level, I'd much rather he just wipe everyone away Uvougin style instead of merely making them faint.

Mentioning Uvougin reminds me that for some reason when there was this close up of Doflamingo hand with the strings for a second I thought he formed his Haki like Nen despite knowing he has a string/puppeteer devil fruit. Probably the influence of all the training in the current HxH anime episodes.

Black Cat Volume 3-4

Watching Train and Sven take out a dinosaur was pretty entertaining, lots of great action all around in these volumes. Learning about Sven's past and his eye power helps to make him feel more like a real character and less as Train's comic foil. This series is just a lot of fun to read even if I constantly get Bebop vibes from it.

Kurita

Black Cat Volume 3-4

Watching Train and Sven take out a dinosaur was pretty entertaining, lots of great action all around in these volumes. Learning about Sven's past and his eye power helps to make him feel more like a real character and less as Train's comic foil. This series is just a lot of fun to read even if I constantly get Bebop vibes from it.
You make it sound like it's a bad thing.

Does that mean he could do Shino's bug stuff as well?

I don't think so. While Shino's power isn't a bloodline limit like the Sharingan, it's part of his clan. They get the bugs as little kids or even younger and then form a symbiosis with them. It's not something you can learn like a normal jutsu.

You make it sound like it's a bad thing.

Not at all, I think I said in my thoughts of volume 1-2 that if you're going to copy something copy Bebop. While I like it for that fact I can see why a lot of people I've talked to about the series find it "meh" or "unoriginal" because of that fact.

Aku no Hana 40

Wow guys. No need to get so bothered over some light reading. Although now that I think of it, reading someone else's writing, alone in a closed room...that actually is pretty risque.

I don't think so. While Shino's power isn't a bloodline limit like the Sharingan, it's part of his clan. They get the bugs as little kids or even younger and then form a symbiosis with them. It's not something you can learn like a normal jutsu.

That's a thing that always bothered me about Naruto actually.

So we essentially have the divide between "bloodline limit" and "non-bloodline limit", right? But then aside from a handful of (often extremely powerful or "Rare") Jutsu, most iconic or important Jutsu used by non-bloodline characters are still "clan exclusive" or "clan secrets" in some way.

When I think of non-family secret/non bloodline jutsu it's like..

1. Edo Tensei
2. The super special awesome rare moves narusasu learned. Chidori & Rasengan
3. Stuff like shadow clones & replacement jutsu. (which are STILL often used by only 2-3 guys)
4. Tenten's stuff I guess?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding some things about Naruto, but to me it's always felt like the "clan techniques" aren't that different from bloodline limits in any way aside from "OMG A BLOODLINE LIMIT SO RARE AND SPECIAL".

Did I miss something?

Naruto

Kind of confused on Orochimaru's reasoning for bringing back the Hokage's. If he has no interest in the war and seems to want to change Sasuke's mind what is he after? Besides that this whole chapter just seems like set up for Sasuke to get talknojutsu'd later down the road and receive some power up.

One Piece

Damn, a whole lot of information in this chapter. Dammit at that cliffhanger with a break next week!

Sounds to me like Law's plan is to weaken Doflamingo's pull in the behind the scene's negotiations. Almost like whatever Joker gets from Kaidou in exchange for the Smile is more important in the grand scheme of things.

The samurai and the sons expressions were pretty interesting. I'm interested in how it will tie in with their comrade and how Momo ended up on the boat to Punk hazard and his hunger dream about Dofla.

Haly

Maybe I'm misunderstanding some things about Naruto, but to me it's always felt like the "clan techniques" aren't that different from bloodline limits in any way aside from "OMG A BLOODLINE LIMIT SO RARE AND SPECIAL".

Bloodline limits are genetic, clan techniques are more like traditions. Anyone can learn a clan technique if they're compatible, but to get a bloodline limit you'd have to change your genetic composition. Or do an implant. Considering the level of genetic engineering in Naruto, this is apparently not very difficult, so the line between the two is kind of blurred. Honestly, the confusion stems from the fact that Kishi started caring less about his initial rules and just wrote whatever came to mind without regard for consistency.

Bloodline Limits:
Sharingan
Byakugan
Kimimaro's Boner
Haku's Ice Mirror thing
Senju's Wood

Clan Techniques:
Shikamaru's Shadow Jutsu
Gaara's Sand Control
Shino's Bugs
Chouji's Fat Jutsu
Senju's Wood

What are you guys talking about? It's clearly a string/puppet DF power. When he was introduced at the end of the Jaya arc, Doflamingo was manipulating Bellamy and his sword buddy, moving his hand like a puppeteer's. The same thiong happened when the Warlords met to decide what to do about Crocodile's defeat and dismissal from the group. TIIRC he did similar feats during the war, and used strings to cut up Gecko Moriah. There's absolutely no way he has a "wind fruit".

There is no need for a devil fruit though.
He can do all that just with the use of actual strings he keeps hidden and attach to his fingers, with the slashing done by haki-enforcing the strings.

That would leave open the possibility of him having a mystery devil fruit.

There is no need for a devil fruit though.
He can do all that just with the use of actual strings he keeps hidden and attach to his fingers, with the slashing done by haki-enforcing the strings.

That would leave open the possibility of him having a mystery devil fruit.

Nothing about his strikes indicates he's using Hardening haki

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bloodline limits are genetic, clan techniques are more like traditions. Anyone can learn a clan technique if they're compatible, but to get a bloodline limit you'd have to change your genetic composition. Or do an implant. Considering the level of genetic engineering in Naruto, this is apparently not very difficult, so the line between the two is kind of blurred. Honestly, the confusion stems from the fact that Kishi started caring less about his initial rules and just wrote whatever came to mind without regard for consistency.

Bloodline Limits:
Sharingan
Byakugan
Kimimaro's Boner
Haku's Ice Mirror thing
Senju's Wood

Clan Techniques:
Shikamaru's Shadow Jutsu
Gaara's Sand Control
Shino's Bugs
Chouji's Fat Jutsu
Senju's Wood

Mokuton isn't a bloodline or clan technique; its completely unique to Hashirama himself until people started erm, injecting his DNA. (if "DNA injection" is a valid way of transferring techniques, there are a lot of hookers in the Fire Country capable of Toad oil techniques and sage mode).

Haly

Mokuton isn't a bloodline or clan technique; its completely unique to Hashirama himself until people started erm, injecting his DNA. (if "DNA injection" is a valid way of transferring techniques, there are a lot of hookers in the Fire Country capable of Toad oil techniques and sage mode).

Oh right. Forgot how stupid that was.

Big One

Banned
One Piece B

Good chapter, really can't wait for the next arc with Doflamingo and Kaido being the central antagonists now.

Naruto F

Wtf is this even supposed to mean? Uchiha get OP because of love? What exactly does Sasuke love, then? Naruto? Fuck this garbage.

Angry Grimace

Naruto F

Wtf is this even supposed to mean? Uchiha get OP because of love? What exactly does Sasuke love, then? Naruto? Fuck this garbage.

Pretty much everyone else understood it.

Understand what? Sasuke threw away any sense he had for love for his friends or his village a long time ago. His transition to power wasn't out of love, it was out of hatred for Itachi.

It was made clear that it's not "love" but emotions, the death of his clan and betrayal of his older brother made Sauske an extremely bitter and angry person. That's what made him so powerful even from the start of the series.

Angry Grimace

Understand what? Sasuke threw away any sense he had for love for his friends or his village a long time ago. His transition to power wasn't out of love, it was out of hatred for Itachi.

The point isn't that they get magic powers from the power of love, its that because their Bloodline power is literally activated by hatred, loss and despair, the members of the Clan with that power tend rely on negative emotions as a result and thus often become hatred-fueled. It's not so different from say, the Dark Side of the Force.

Its funny to say, "oh its the power of love," but to actually accept the explanation that way is pretty simplistic. It actually makes quite a bit of sense; the Uchiha are prone to negative emotions precisely because it makes them more powerful.

Big One

Banned
It was made clear that it's not "love" but emotions, the death of his clan and betrayal of his older brother made Sauske an extremely bitter and angry person. That's what made him so powerful even from the start of the series.
Ok re-reading the chapter it seems it's saying that it's when an Uchiha loses a loved one where he becomes dangerous.

I still don't understand why the whole clan had to be massacred, even if the Uchiha were planning to take over.

Steroyd

No the basic concept is that the more you love someone the easier it is to flip that into hate, basically Sasuske loved his brother as a kid, but when it turned out that his brother turned homicidal maniac that killed his parents and everyone in his clan it turned to hate (wanting revenge), and Sauske's been gaining power from that.

Angry Grimace

Ok re-reading the chapter it seems it's saying that it's when an Uchiha loses a loved one where he becomes dangerous.

I still don't understand why the whole clan had to be massacred, even if the Uchiha were planning to take over.

Well, the idea here is that the ones who were left alive would feel wronged and then themselves become dangerous (by tapping into their latent powers), which is precisely what happened with Sasuke. If there were say, 50 Sasukes around, it might be kind of shitty.

Fox318

Maybe it wasn't a really big clan?

Well, the idea here is that the ones who were left alive would feel wronged and then themselves become dangerous (by tapping into their latent powers), which is precisely what happened with Sasuke. If there were say, 50 Sasukes around, it might be kind of shitty.

Of course, it's well established by now that the 3rd was a terrible psychologist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom