• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think how strong or weak someone's EH is simply based upon genetics, those with the Will of D are probably much more powerful in their use of it then those like Rayleigh, Boa, and Dofla. As it was said it's not something that can be trained but something that can learn to be controlled if the person has it.

ihq2SZhwHu9Hp.png

But it makes sense for those that do have it to rise to the top. But if nameless cannon fodder start using it then I'm calling shenanigans.

Using the Kuja as a source for this isn't that definitive imo but i will agree on the shenanigan calling if bums start to have it (like Brownbeard, etc).

Hell even this arguement seems to based on the perceived importance of the character in question.

Korosenai

When Doflamingo shows up he's just like "I'm here Bitches!" while making everyone around him pass out as he just struts around. What a boss.

Using the Kuja as a source for this isn't that definitive tbh but i will agree that on the shenanigan calling if bums start to have it (like Brownbeard, etc).

I think the entire point of Haoshoku Haki is that only the big names of the series are supposed to have it. Giving it to Hancock established her as a serious threat outside of her ridiculous devil fruit powers. It shouldn't be surprising that Doflamingo has it because that guy has been hyped up as mysterious and powerful since we first met him. His power is unexplained, he gives no fucks about the World Government, and if he's ever actually using his ability, someone gets hurt.

I don't think we'll have to worry about fodder having it.

robox

it seems that the pacing of one piece is really uneven. there are scenes where oda spends an inordinate amount of time on (pirates farewell to children), and some things are still left unexplained (kinemon and momonosuke returning to normal, brownbeard going back into the island). and then this chapter had a random couple of panels with franky explaining how they got the mini merry back, which i completely forgot about. i wonder if one piece should proceed more slowly. but it's kinda nice to move the main story along at a brisk pace

it seems that the pacing of one piece is really uneven. there are scenes where oda spends an inordinate amount of time on (pirates farewell to children), and some things are still left unexplained (kinemon and momonosuke returning to normal, brownbeard going back into the island). and then this chapter had a random couple of panels with franky explaining how they got the mini merry back, which i completely forgot about. i wonder if one piece should proceed more slowly. but it's kinda nice to move the main story along at a brisk pace

It could just be me, but those two seriously have to be the two most boring side arc characters in the series so far. I have no attachment to either of them whatsoever.

The Kuja are all about Haki. If anyone would know, it'd be them.

Not convinced on their Statistics if they are just cobbled up somewhere else tbh but hey.

I think the entire point of Haoshoku Haki is that only the big names of the series are supposed to have it. Giving it to Hancock established her as a serious threat outside of her ridiculous devil fruit powers. It shouldn't be surprising that Doflamingo has it because that guy has been hyped up as mysterious and powerful since we first met him. His power is unexplained, he gives no fucks about the World Government, and if he's ever actually using his ability, someone gets hurt.

I don't think we'll have to worry about fodder having it.

I get that but i'm talking the scenario if that happens where fodder also have it somehow, then the shenanigans can be called.

and kinda addressed some of this in my edit where it seems the disagreement is linked to the person's perceived importance of the character.

Akito

I think it's fine the way it is, I like those emotional farewell scenes and Oda just as much obviously. Everything else happens with a great pace because it will either be dealt with in the future (Kinemon and Momonosuke most likely) or just isn't important enough (the Brownbeard and Mini Merry thingy).

The Kuja are all about Haki. If anyone would know, it'd be them.

They're also a secluded group of people who didn't even know basic male anatomy. I'm pretty sure they're NOT a reliable source as their view of the world is their island and anyone who accidentally ends up on it

Kreed

One Piece 698:

http://i.imgur.com/7BZ6UqR.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[quote="BassForever, post: 47356672"]
Edit: Ignus Fatuus would have an even better answer with less words :([/QUOTE]

That image has no relevance to any of my complaints about Doflamingo having the ability, especially when most of my complaints go outside of story explanations and are complaints about the author's decision making. It wasn't even a good response to the one liner he picked out from my previous post with no real elaboration behind the statement vs the post you're actually taking the time to respond to. So give yourself and your post more credit.

[quote="BassForever, post: 47356672"]Doflamingo is the only warlord to have his main domain in the New World, that alone makes him on a higher level then pirates who failed in the New World like Crocodile or organizations that don't reside there like CP9. We just saw him in his first fairly serious fight as he stomped G5 and Smoker. I'm not saying he's Emperor or Admiral level, but he's for sure ahead of the other warlords except maybe Mihawk who we also know very little about the true extent of his powers.[/quote]

He's been strengthened up appropriately to be a threat to the Straw Hats. The reason Crocodile is so weak in comparison is because he was the first Shichibukai Luffy ever faced. That increase in strength doesn't all of a sudden make him important to the story/relevant enough to have Emperor Haki like the other characters we've seen with the ability. Hell, I'd rather Jinbei have had the ability.

robox

I think it's fine the way it is, I like those emotional farewell scenes and Oda just as much obviously. Everything else happens with a great pace because it will either be dealt with in the future (Kinemon and Momonosuke most likely) or just isn't important enough (the Brownbeard and Mini Merry thingy).

relying on the future? sometimes, it feels more like, letters from obsessive fans reminding oda to close up plot holes.

also, i missed how the decapitated heads of baby5 and buffalo ended up with dofla. that sounded like bad news if they let that happen intentionally.

That image has no relevance to any of my complaints about Doflamingo having the ability, especially when most of my complaints go outside of story explanations and are complaints about the author's decision making.

Your argument was that it was "bullshit" that Doflamingo had the ability and that it contradicted how it had been hyped before. That is empirically false, as demonstrated by the image.

If you are literally arguing that you would have written One Piece better than Oda then lol okay bro.

Akito

relying on the future? sometimes, it feels more like, letters from obsessive fans reminding oda to close up plot holes.

also, i missed how the decapitated heads of baby5 and buffalo ended up with dofla. that sounded like bad news if they let that happen intentionally.
Eh, it's not that great of a stretch really, they both reacted to the Kaidou name dropping and have some unfinished business on Dressrosa as well. There's clearly more to them than what we know so far and that's not a whole lot.

IHaveIce

Banned
One Piece 698:

That image has no relevance to any of my complaints about Doflamingo having the ability, especially when most of my complaints go outside of story explanations and are complaints about the author's decision making. It wasn't even a good response to the one liner he picked out from my previous post with no real elaboration behind the statement vs the post you're actually taking the time to respond to. So give yourself and your post more credit.

He's been strengthened up appropriately to be a threat to the Straw Hats. The reason Crocodile is so weak in comparison is because he was the first Shichibukai Luffy ever faced. That increase in strength doesn't all of a sudden make him important to the story/relevant enough to have Emperor Haki like the other characters we've seen with the ability. Hell, I'd rather Jinbei have had the ability.

Huh? The many bits with Donflamingo really made me think he was important or would become so. He had some appearances where we could see that he could be relevant. The talk about a New Age, the talk with someone from the government, the part where he "killed"?(we don't know) Moria and he says he as orders from the top.

And now all the young master stuff and more really make me think that is absolutely ok for him to have it.

they were placed on the sail boat in the last chapter along with Law's phone so they could talk and Dom more likely carried the heads with him once he decided to continue heading for Punk Hazard.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
But I just developed his character so everyone can like him now.

But now I hate him more...

EDIT: The whole emo = power shit is just a way to excuse him for what he's done so far. "It's not his fault, it's in his DNA." All it's doing is setting up the obvious turn back to good.

One Piece 698:

I'm not sure how he's been "strengthened up" by giving him EH, we've seen nothing of his powers ever outside of him stomping Bellamy who was pathetically weak. Heck all 9 Straw Hats are strong enough that they shouldn't be impacted by EH at all, honestly EH is pretty worthless in the hands of the villains because the Straw Hats rarely work with the legions of scrubs who are impacted by it. The only time we've ever seen him fight a character with any real strength was Crocodile and that wasn't even a real fight with no resolution.

We also know Dofla has had a hand in both the Bellamy pirates and the Sabody slave trade along with other dealings inside the world government itself and now we've found out he's working with Kaidou as well. His role in the main story line so far has been smaller then other characters, but he seems to have his influence in a lot of different places and I'm sure the more we learn about him the more we'll come to realize just how much impact he has on the world as a whole.

But now I hate him more...

You're just too cool for school B-Dubs

Kreed

One Piece 698:

Your argument was that it was "bullshit" that Doflamingo had the ability and that it contradicted how it had been hyped before. That is empirically false, as demonstrated by the image.

The image demonstrates why "story wise" it is ok for Doflamingo to have Haki. This is why your picture has no relevance to my complaint, because my complaints are towards Doflamingo as a character having Emperor Haki.

If you are literally arguing that you would have written One Piece better than Oda then lol okay bro.

Come on Ignis, you're better than "cool story bro" responses. Especially when it goes against the whole point of this topic.

The image demonstrates why "story wise" it is ok for Doflamingo to have Haki. This is why your picture has no relevance to my complaint, because my complaints are towards Doflamingo as a character having Emperor Haki.
I just think you shouldn't be too disappointed since we were basically told that we'd be seeing a lot of it.

Come on Ignis, you're better than "cool story bro" responses.
It's nothing personal, I just don't care about arguments that literally cannot be won.

One Piece 698:

If you don't like Haki being common you're going to be pretty unhappy going forward, as just about everybody in the New World is going to have it to some degree. I disagree that Haki is something Oda came up with on the spur of the moment to counter Logias, considering we saw Shanks use a form of it in the first chapter, and we've known about Logias being untouchable ever since we met Smoker, so it would make sense there was eventually going to be some counter to this, or else the fights would get really boring. Having Luffy discover each Logia users weakness like he did with Enel and Crocodile would get tiring, as we would have to deal with Luffy getting beat in the initial meeting until he discovered the Logia's weak point.
As for Donflamingo not being important enough to the story to have Conqueror's Haki, I think it makes sense he has it assuming that he's going to be very integral to the story going forward (certainly more so than Boa ever has been), and is one of the top contenders for the title of Pirate King.

Kusagari

I really don't get this argument.

Oda built up Doflamingo as a relevant character for years. Literally every time we would see him we would find out he was influencing the world in some way we didn't know before. Hell, right before the timeskip we found out he was doing work for the Gorosei themselves.

To not see that Oda was building up Doflamingo as an important figure you would have to be blind.

Using the Kuja as a source for this isn't that definitive imo but i will agree on the shenanigan calling if bums start to have it (like Brownbeard, etc).

Hell even this arguement seems to based on the perceived importance of the character in question.

This I mean every time we find out more about Doflamingo it show how much of a player he is the OP world .
The first time we saw him he had a bounty of 340 million which was really high for a long time and was playing with what look like high rank marines .
During the war he play with Jozu , was hire to kill Moriah by the WG , had a mole in the marines , Law used part of his crew , biggest underground dealer in the OP world .
It was always set up for him to be big and in a way opposite of luffy since he thinks dreamers are fools .

It was explain that brownbeard went back into the island to save his crew , kinemon was also explain and momonosuke is a DF user so he should be able to switch at any time maybe he can't control it yet .

Kreed

One Piece 698:

I just think you shouldn't be too disappointed since we were basically told that we'd be seeing a lot of it.

I had no reason to be disappointed until Doflamingo got the ability. If you have an image of Oda showing signs of Doflamingo having Emperor level Haki chapters ago I'll drop the complaint.

It's nothing personal, I just don't care about arguments that literally cannot be won.

No one Most of us who complain/praise/comment about One Piece, Naruto, Bleach or any manga in this topic are not claiming they can do a better job of writing those mangas than the authors in questions. We're just commenting on the mangas we read. There is no argument to win in regards to me thinking I could do One Piece better than Oda when I didn't make that claim nor have been trying to make that claim when I've complain about One Piece or any of other dozens of non One Piece mangas I complain about that don't turn into multi page weekly One Piece arguments since OT1. I wouldn't even take a comment like that personal because it's not even disrespectful to me, vs just being a poor reaction to people who may have negative opinions about mangas you think more positively about.

Epcott

Why would Lord Orochimaru fight with Sarutobi sensei? They have nothing to fight about and had a fairly good mentor student relationship. Lord Orochimaru, this chapter, essentially gave up any ill feelings he had towards the leaf village.

The arc can really only end with Naruto and Sasuke, vs Madara. Madara has both Rinnegan and Sharingan and can rejuvenate, while, at this point in time the revived kage dont have as many buffs applied to them. Unless Lord Orochimaru can use debuffs on the field or some jutsu's with wide area of effects for targetting multiple character units, then, really Madara will easily have an simple time handling any opponents. If even the allied shinobi forces jutsu wasn't enough to stop him...could first and second hokage really be enough? Konoha's Yellow Flash seems like he'd go to whichever field has Naruto, would be silly for Kishimoto not to give us screentime with both fighting together. Bee seems like he'd be captured to increase the tension and drama, and Kakashi-sensei and Obito would die hand in hand at the same time pushed to the limits.

I don't believe for a second that Oruchimaru has become complacent. He has another angle in this affair, and I beieve he wants to acuire the eye of the moon eye plan (or the rennengan). Due to him acuiring the memories of Kabuto, he obviously knows Madara is alive, yet he hasn't told Sasuke (who still refers to Obito as Tobi), or the others yet.

Sarutobi defeated Oruchimaru in the past, but only by taking his arms in self sacrifice. Therefore, I can see him being the sole person to see through Oruchimaru's ruse, thus attempting to put a stop to him behind the scenes.

For Orbito, it would make sense Minato and Kikashi would fight him (Obito being Minato's student and reason for his wife's death).

For Madara, he has the cells of the first. Who better to oppose him then the first and second? Even that may not be enough.

Finally, Sasuke wanted resolve as he entered the leaf village. He may have redemption by the end, but he and Naruto have to fight. The only reason why he's speaking to the Kages now is to strengthen that resolve. I don't see him teaming up against Madara, unless Oruchimaru sends the kages away after the fight, and again, I don't see Oruchimaru being so generous as to only summon them to chat with Sasuke.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Fucking Oda, Damn you!

This is one of those chapters that almost convinces me to quit my job and become a comic book artist. The mofo just makes it look so much fun.

Tear

Pimpwerx

One Piece
This felt like a classic OP chapter. Oh man, pretty badass. Doflamingo is already there, and his henchmen are back in action. He wrecked Smoker's shit pretty good. I wonder what his power is exactly. The chapter went from "Whoa! Doflamingo is a boss" to "OH SHIT! AOKIJI!!!" Some admiral-level shit. Aokiji is gonna whoop that ass.

Oda seems to have forgotten how tall Doflamingo is, btw. He's looking a lot shorter than I remember during the war.

Naruto
Wow! Sasuke is actually more interesting than Naruto right now. I enjoyed this chapter and can't wait for the next one. 1st Hokage is a doofus. 2nd Hokage is an asshole. The explanation for eye hax is lame, but I give Kishi props for actually addressing it. PEACE.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
One Piece
This felt like a classic OP chapter. Oh man, pretty badass. Doflamingo is already there, and his henchmen are back in action. He wrecked Smoker's shit pretty good. I wonder what his power is exactly. The chapter went from "Whoa! Doflamingo is a boss" to "OH SHIT! AOKIJI!!!" Some admiral-level shit. Aokiji is gonna whoop that ass.

Oda seems to have forgotten how tall Doflamingo is, btw. He's looking a lot shorter than I remember during the war.

Naruto
Wow! Sasuke is actually more interesting than Naruto right now. I enjoyed this chapter and can't wait for the next one. 1st Hokage is a doofus. 2nd Hokage is an asshole. The explanation for eye hax is lame, but I give Kishi props for actually addressing it. PEACE.

Don't forget Flamingo is one of the taller one piece characters. He's not that much shorter than Kuma!

ryan13ts

One Piece:

So I guess this chapter pretty much confirms that Doflamingo's ability is the String-String Fruit?.... Since we finally saw the strings everyone suspected he used coming from his hands. And as far as Flamingo having the Conquerer's haki, I dont have any issue with it what so ever. Doflamingo has been shown to be a VERY ambitious and powerful guy, so someone of his caliber having it only seems fitting. Aside from that, I'm still loving the Law/Luffy allience going on, I just hope when they finally get to Dressrosa, we finally get to see the rest of Law's crew post-time skip, I highly doubt he completely disbanded them.

AND ..... WHAT... THE... HELL... ODA?! Another Break? We just came off a 3-week break, and he even had a break right before that happened! I figured it was all due to Movie Z, but since that's already out, it must be some other reason for all these breaks. I just prey to GOD he doesnt pull a Togashi and get sick, I couldn't live without my One Piece :(

Kreed

One Piece 698:

If you don't like Haki being common you're going to be pretty unhappy going forward, as just about everybody in the New World is going to have it to some degree.

And I've already established that I've accepted this in post 13291. It's been quoted enough times so I'm sure you can find it.

I disagree that Haki is something Oda came up with on the spur of the moment to counter Logias, considering we saw Shanks use a form of it in the first chapter, and we've known about Logias being untouchable ever since we met Smoker, so it would make sense there was eventually going to be some counter to this, or else the fights would get really boring.

[sarcasm]Just like Ace's tattoo always had the S marked off because of Sabo[/sarcasm]. Oda may not have characters gaining power ups from using two hands, but it doesn't mean he isn't "adding" things as he goes along. It's just less obvious.

Having Luffy discover each Logia users weakness like he did with Enel and Crocodile would get tiring, as we would have to deal with Luffy getting beat in the initial meeting until he discovered the Logia's weak point.

Considering Luffy hasn't had a great solo fight since Lucci, and the last Logia he fought was barely a fight, I'd say it's better we disagree.

As for Donflamingo not being important enough to the story to have Conqueror's Haki, I think it makes sense he has it assuming that he's going to be very integral to the story going forward (certainly more so than Boa ever has been), and is one of the top contenders for the title of Pirate King..

Doflamingo's relevance will end the moment Law and Luffy destroy his supply of SAD. That doesn't make good company with the rest of the established Emperor Haki users (including Boa, aka Luffy's future love interest).

I really don't get this argument.

Oda built up Doflamingo as a relevant character for years. Literally every time we would see him we would find out he was influencing the world in some way we didn't know before. Hell, right before the timeskip we found out he was doing work for the Gorosei themselves.

To not see that Oda was building up Doflamingo as an important figure you would have to be blind.

If you can't tell the story difference between a character like Doflamingo and characters like Shanks, Whitebeard, and Ace in regards to Luffy, then just ignore my comments.

Cool story bro.

Grimmace did it better. Twice.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
One Piece 698:

And I've already established that I've accepted this in post 13291. It's been quoted enough times so I'm sure you can find it.

[sarcasm]Just like Ace's tattoo always had the S marked off because of Sabo[/sarcasm]. Oda may not have characters gaining power ups from using two hands, but it doesn't mean he isn't "adding" things as he goes along. It's just less obvious.

Considering Luffy hasn't had a great solo fight since Lucci, and the last Logia he fought was barely a fight, I'd say it's better we disagree.

Doflamingo's relevance will end the moment Law and Luffy destroy his supply of SAD. That doesn't make good company with the rest of the established Emperor Haki users (including Boa, aka Luffy's future love interest).

If you can't tell the story difference between a character like Doflamingo and characters like Shanks, Whitebeard, and Ace in regards to Luffy, then just ignore my comments.

Grimmace did it better. Twice.
I got in an argument about the plot of One Piece?

Ezalc

Have people talked about how stupid the power of love sounds? I don't know if that was just horrible translating, it probably is, but considering this is a shounen manga I wouldn't be surprised.

Also I love how this time the Hokages, the first two anyway, were given more personality. Hashirama being goofy is amazing, and I loved how strict Tobirama is, still my favorite hokage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom