• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Naruto

ry0FCCS.png

One Piece

HNpsiEi.png

You can clearly see them thin the chapter. They were visible at Marineford too.

Hm...

... made visible by haki?
They are black lines, and reinforcement haki tends to colour the weapon in question black I believe.

When he use the strings for pure manipulation, he's just being skillful, thus keeping the strings haki free and invisible.

Wiseblade

Hm...

They are black lines, and reinforcement haki tends to colour the weapon in question black I believe.

When he use the strings for pure manipulation, he's just being skillful, thus keeping the strings haki free and invisible.

Explain the Marionette power then.

Aku No Hana 40

You would think Unfortunate Popular Girl would think it was fucking weird dude starts tearing up. And ruh roh at Saeki showing up again
KuGsj.gif

I think after being under the impression all her friends would chastise her for reading/writing, an overly positive reaction would be damn welcome.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hm...

I think you're making this more complicated than it has to be. Strings are hard to see from afar, strings are easy to see up close.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I've been grading for years, and it's just as sarcastic now as it's always been. Terra Formars is better than both series.
Grading individual chapters is kind of silly, though.

I think after being under the impression all her friends would chastise her for reading/writing, an overly positive reaction would be damn welcome.

How ridiculous is it that Kasuga is still pulling school idols despite being both crazy and a mess

I think you're making this more complicated than it has to be. Strings are hard to see from afar, strings are easy to see up close.

Yeah, sure, artistic license is a good explanation for that.
And the marionette ability is simply him moving his fingers and making others move, right?

With the physics of OP, that is probably accomplishable through the use of actual strings rather than DF magic.

Quick question, is black cat a one arc story the spans the entire length of it's run or will it eventually introduce a new villain and direction?

Kreed

One Piece 698:

I'd like to bring up the whole Young Master business. As he appears now, Doflamingo might not be Emperor Haki material - but you don't know what kind of history he has behind him. At the very least, thanks to Vergo we know that there's a secret to him.

The obvious speculation right now would be, I guess, that he's blood related to some really incredible people while he's still in the process of becoming one himself. That would explain his current position while still having Emperor Haki.

It's already difficult enough to tolerate Oda giving everyone of importance Haki and/or CP9 abilities since Oda came up with these "Logia equalizers" after the fact, since obviously it has become too hard to have Luffy find creative ways to defeat Logia opponents (not to mention that it looks like every serious villain Luffy will face going forward will have Emperor Haki).

Despite all of this, I could accept Doflamingo having one of the other two forms of Haki all of a sudden after all the years we've known his character, but Emperor level is too much. For one thing he is in the same group as Boa Hancock, who hyped up Emperor Haki as being rare AND it pretty much made her special outside of her one hit kill move. Hell, it doesn't even make sense going back to the White Beard battle, where it was special for Luffy to have Emperor Haki and to demonstrate that while fighting to the crowd. And honestly, Doflamingo just brings it down as an ability. The Emperors? Good. Black Beard? Obviously. Boa? Ok. Rayleigh? Great. Why? Because they are all way more important to the story than anyone else Luffy has come across.

Doflamingo...BS, regardless of his past as a leader/what ever story Oda comes up with to make him a great puppet master/etc... Doflamingo isn't any more special than Crocodile, Lucci, or any of the other bad guys Luffy's defeated. He shouldn't have Emperor Haki.

One Piece 698:

It's already difficult enough to tolerate Oda giving everyone of importance Haki and/or CP9 abilities since Oda came up with these "Logia equalizers" after the fact, since obviously it has become too hard to have Luffy find creative ways to defeat Logia opponents (not to mention that it looks like every serious villain Luffy will face going forward will have Emperor Haki).

Despite all of this, I could accept Doflamingo having one of the other two forms of Haki all of a sudden after all the years we've known his character, but Emperor level is too much. For one thing he is in the same group as Boa Hancock, who hyped up Emperor Haki as being rare AND it pretty much made her special outside of her one hit kill move. Hell, it doesn't even make sense going back to the White Beard battle, where it was special for Luffy to have Emperor Haki and to demonstrate that while fighting to the crowd. And honestly, Doflamingo just brings it down as an ability. The Emperors? Good. Black Beard? Obviously. Boa? Ok. Rayleigh? Great. Why? Because they are all way more important to the story than anyone else Luffy has come across.

Doflamingo...BS, regardless of his past as a leader/what ever story Oda comes up with to make him a great puppet master/etc... Doflamingo isn't any more special than Crocodile, Lucci, or any of the other bad guys Luffy's defeated. He shouldn't have Emperor Haki.

Doflamingo is the only warlord to have his main domain in the New World, that alone makes him on a higher level then pirates who failed in the New World like Crocodile or organizations that don't reside there like CP9. We just saw him in his first fairly serious fight as he stomped G5 and Smoker. I'm not saying he's Emperor or Admiral level, but he's for sure ahead of the other warlords except maybe Mihawk who we also know very little about the true extent of his powers.

Edit: Ignus Fatuus would have an even better answer with less words :(

Wiseblade

http://i.imgur.com/7BZ6UqR.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

The idea is that Warlords, people who betray their ambition and sell themselves to the world Government have no right possessing Conqueror's Haki. But this saga feel like it's set to show that Doflamingo has more ambition than initially appears.

The idea is that Warlords, people who betray their ambition and sell themselves to the world Government have no right possessing Conqueror's Haki.

That idea didn't come from Oda. He never said it was uncommon among the powerful. He said just the opposite. It has nothing to do with your literal ambition, that just stems from a mistranslation.

Kusagari

I think it's a pretty good assumption at this point that all of Doflamingo's dealings are setting up him making a very long gambit on how to become Pirate King.

I forget who mentioned it, but I agree that he probably has a plan in betraying Kaido.

Rorschach

Shichibukai hasn't really meant anything besides the big Whitebeard battle. They do whatever they want and they sever their ties whenever they please. There's very little downside to being one. Blackbeard, Mihawk, Law, Kuma, Hancock, and Jinbe are pretty good company to be in. And none of them really sold themselves to the government. They're all playing the government for their own gain and they don't have to do much to retain the title.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
One Piece B

Good chapter, really can't wait for the next arc with Doflamingo and Kaido being the central antagonists now.

Naruto F

Wtf is this even supposed to mean? Uchiha get OP because of love? What exactly does Sasuke love, then? Naruto? Fuck this garbage.

Sasuke love his brother, Itachi

The idea is that Warlords, people who betray their ambition and sell themselves to the world Government have no right possessing Conqueror's Haki. But this saga feel like it's set to show that Doflamingo has more ambition than initially appears.

The warlords have all had very different reasons for why they became one, most of them never gave up on their ambition they just used the Warlords rank to advance their plan without fear of having the navy being down their neck. Really the only people who view them as "betraying their ambition" are poser pirates who could barely survive in paradise let alone the new world.

Wiseblade

So you're agreeing with me?

I guess? I don't really have any issue with the number of people with Conqueror's Haki, but rather that anyone with it should be answering to or fearful of anyone else. It's a power that's supposed to belong to the elite, not the insignificant.
The warlords have all had very different reasons for why they became one, most of them never gave up on their ambition they just used the Warlords rank to advance their plan without fear of having the navy being down their neck. Really the only people who view them as "betraying their ambition" are poser pirates who could barely survive in paradise let alone the new world.
Gecko Moriah didn't really have that much going on. He had Oars and the zombie army, but what was he really going to do with them?

And Crocodile may have had ambition, but he only took the Warlord role because he got smacked down as a pirate and wanted the protection of the World Government. It's only when he discovered the existence of a weapon that would give him an advantage over everyone else that he began to dream again.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I guess? I don't really have any issue with the number of people with Conqueror's Haki, but rather that anyone with it should be answering to or fearful of anyone else. It's a power that's supposed to belong to the elite, not the insignificant.

He comes off as a shrewd guy so he probably has no problem bowing his head and taking orders to advance his ambitions. Luffy did the same sort of thing at Amazon Lilly to save the girls that got turned to stone.

Doujin Work 1-13

SFUzyNQ.png

The anime was entirely wholesome in comparison to this (unsurprising given the author). Will keep reading, but early impressions favour the manga, not least because Najimi's more likeable in it. Feels like her personality was toned down to make her into a more typical MC in the anime.

wonzo

Banned
Magi

Were the Banker and Isnan always the same person? Or is this an anime-only change?
In the manga, Banker and the Weapons dealer were the same person but they changed that in the anime so Isnan and the Weapons dealer were the same instead. A pretty dumb and pointless change as par the course for the anime really.

Wiseblade

ihq2SZhwHu9Hp.png

But it makes sense for those that do have it to rise to the top. But if nameless cannon fodder start using it then I'm calling shenanigans.

I want to play.

Naruto

What a great fucking chapter. Finally, we get the exact reasoning why the Uchiha clan is SO fucked up. It's really kind of sweet, and develops Sasuke's character so much more. I wish this would have been something that happened gradually instead of a big shove near the end, but it was still really satisfying. It was also neat to see Harishima being kinda goofy. Reminds me a lot of Naruto. Yes, I know this is intentional.

One Piece

I'm not convinced that Doflamingo is Admiral tier yet, but it's pretty clear that he's a serious, serious threat. Beating Smoker that quickly, holy shit. I never saw that coming. I figured that was gonna be an actual fight, but he just made everyone there look like a joke. I can't WAIT to see how he reacts to Aokiji. Is that gonna be a fight? Who wins?

Gonna be a long two weeks. Damn it, Oda. First a three week break and then you make us wait another two? HOW WILL I DEAL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom