• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurita

Assassination Classroom 29

This fucking manga man.
TgYWQzd.png

U0UDKSn.png

*dead*

Finally got to the point in Magi where the bet took place. How was anything but Rukh Properties even an option?

I'm really liking the Magnashutatt arc a lot. I really like how the oppression/slave/speciesism/whatever story is weaved into it pretty convincingly and doesn't come off as cheesy villainy. Titus being a clone made from rukh and not wanting to die and leave Marga....those feels. :/

^That image makes me want to catch back up on AssClass

Pokemon Adventure D/P/P Vol. 7

I do like this shift in dynamics where the three characters were always together are now apart. Feels bad how easily they all got beaten by Team Galactic so easily though I'm looking forward to their training arcs now. Though I guess expect Dia, I do wonder what's he going to do playing stowaway in Team Galactic HQ.

Oh another pokemon special reader :D Not your spoil your reading fun, but this arc is the worst one till one. Every thing is rushed at the end.....

I collect the Singapore english edition and am planning to stop after i completed the number collection with the end of HG/SS Arc.

Weirdly the paper/digital divide applies for me even with manga. I just like physical copies more, even if digital is more convenient
If there's a choice then I go physical, unfortunately some stuff is only digital :(. Oh well its better than not having it at all.

Can't see how people read stuff on screens less than 7inches.

Tail Star 12
tumblr_mht367N70l1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Great new character design. The writer should have used the climax moment more effectively, ended the chapter when Sanagi's hand was outstretched and the escaping members tried to reach his hand and failed falling into the clouds. Though I guess that would have been a tragic and cruel way to end the chapter, but since this manga is consistently depressing, would have been fitting. If only it had some sort of fandom.

Assassination Classroom 29
tumblr_mht46sfaBC1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Itona's comments implies that Karma is even stronger than the AI unit. Hopefully Nagisa is third strongest, anyway, Karma = Itona > Nagisa > the rest in rank of the best characters present I guess. Hope they all get equal screentime.

Was just browsing through more of the author comments (jan 25 - feb 6)

ONE PIECE | Eiichiro Oda
My editor’s and my first impression after watching the demo of “Kaizoku Muso 2”: “Wow! Powerful! Neat! Sexy!”
NARUTO | Masashi Kishimoto
I went to the New Year Party of Jump! I won the bingo game for the first time since the very first party I attended 13 years ago!

NARUTO | Masashi Kishimoto
I thought I should do some exercise, so I began jogging and caught a cold. Gave up after just one day!!

BLEACH | Tite Kubo
Talked to my family on Skype. My niece has learned to do “Acchonburike!” (the favorite phrase of Pinoko, a character from Black Jack by Osamu Tezuka). Who taught her that…

Toriko | Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro
My New Year’s resolutions are: 1. Liven up Toriko!! 2. Draw a One-shot manga!! 3. Make friends who can play Go!!

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Toriko - A
rin.jpg

^That. That was pretty cool.
Toriko's on a roll lately. Mansam, Rin, Yuda, Setsuno, and god damn Tengu! Damn.
Not only that, but Mansam with hair? lololol. Also, ZONGE has entered the scene! With all those Musou games he's played, the Bishokukai stand no chance.

Tail Star 12
tumblr_mht367N70l1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Great new character design. The writer should have used the climax moment more effectively, ended the chapter when Sanagi's hand was outstretched and the escaping members tried to reach his hand and failed falling into the clouds. Though I guess that would have been a tragic and cruel way to end the chapter, but since this manga is consistently depressing, would have been fitting. If only it had some sort of fandom.

I'll be a fan. I can't draw though.

Qvoth

i just wanna say thanks to this thread, because i would've never read aku no hana otherwise
edit: and opm, my current favorite manga

Reknoc

Stopped just before the cooking fest arc in Toriko but decided to catch up and man, I forgot just how much fun Toriko is. It's like pure perfected dumb fun. You never have to think so much about it, cook off where a bijillion or so people gather to watch? yea ok!

Assassination Classroom

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrother.

Slightly unrelated but aww yea

Wiseblade

I totally forgot about those shirts! Now that I'm (almost) spending ridiculous amounts of money for shiny cardboard, I can buy the Brook and Franky shirts and actually buy some manga!

I can't wait to catch up on One Piece and finally move on to buying Fullmetal Alchemist.

Kurita

I totally forgot about those shirts! Now that I'm (almost) spending ridiculous amounts of money for shiny cardboard, I can buy the Brook and Franky shirts and actually buy some manga!

I can't wait to catch up on One Piece and finally move on to buying Fullmetal Alchemist.
It's not like there's a large number of mangas to buy in the UK.

j/k <3

So, Murata posted this on Twitter.
v8bhD63.jpg

:bow

Kreed

One Piece 698:

In a series where even sub-villains from a decade ago reappear to be major arc characters, are you really that confident that Doflamingo will cease being important after this saga?

Not really, but then my comments are only directed at this chapter and below. Oda could reveal Doflamingo as Luffy's step brother in 2 weeks and kill my whole complaint. But I don't care about being right or wrong a week later, especially over a manga that the author can do anything with as he sees fit, I am just criticizing what I am reading as I read it.

Those three are clearly more important than Doflamingo to the story. Rayleigh and especially Hancock aren't. Rayleigh really was just there to tell us some info on Roger and train Luffy. I doubt he does much of anything from here on out. Hancock has absolutely no case at all. Your only argument is a theory that has as much going for it as Smoker being "Luffy's Garp."

Doesn't seem like we'll see eye-to-eye regardless though.

Lol, after the beating Smoker took this chapter I am surprised you would bring that up voluntarily as something I will probably be wrong about. But yeah honestly I am not trying to convince anyone to see eye to eye with my comments vs defending my comments from posters who say I am" whining" like the poster is quoted below for simply making a chapter review post that had a negative comment in it.
I still don't get why Kreed thinks Doflamingo having EH is bull. It seems to be that he never showed signs of it before, but that's just whining and making things up.

Wrong.

Doujin Work vols 2-5 (14-68)
Yeah, the lack of restrictions makes this more enjoyable than the anime. Tsuyuri in particular is a real ball of malevolent manipulative magnificence. I love how the list of Najima's friends on the back of vol 4 includes all the main characters except for her. Reading between the lines much?

Vol 6 is the last one but it doesn't look like there's been any progress with it. Shame since (unusually for a 4koma series) I'm really curious to see how this finishes up, i.e. whether Tsuyuri manages to completely destroy her friend's business associate's self-esteem or not.

i just wanna say thanks to this thread, because i would've never read aku no hana otherwise
edit: and opm, my current favorite manga
Ditto. MangaF's constant raving about Onepunch eventually made me check it out. Totally blew me away. In my top 3 favorite series ever right now. Absolutely love it.

Onani Master Kurosawa, Ubel Blatt, Beelzebub... These threads have gotten me to read a bunch of material I would've otherwise avoided. :)

So, Murata posted this on Twitter.
http://i.imgur.com/v8bhD63.jpg
:bow
Amazing. Almost makes me want to run and play a few matches with her in Marvel.

Cloth Road 1-30
Intriguing story. The world is impressively built. Earth being covered by a giant fabric as a pseudo-ozone layer. Models and designers pairing up to fight others with future-clothing. Society being ruled by 7 fashion brands. It starts of with your typical brother and sister searching for a place to call their own. It starts getting into battle manga. And then action adventure. And then the whole plot escalates to ridiculous levels.
The fabric covering the Earth turns out to be their mother. And their father is an international criminal.

Characters are nice. Fergus is a talented designer who has little confidence in himself and gives up to easily. Jennifer, his older sister, is a vulgar girl who isn't afraid to speak her mind. The dynamic of brother and sister works perfectly, with one always propping the other up when they're down. Secondary characters are a hit-or-miss. The main antagonist
, their dad
who doesn't pop up until the time skip, is kind of a dick. He uses the word "commoner" the way some people would call a slow person retarded.
The mom feels like a beaten wife.

The character designs get really interesting. The art can get kind of wonky though. That's about all I have say about this at the moment.

Kamisama no Iutoori part 2 1-2

Bit less gory than part 1, but I guess that was necessary after the switch to weekly. The end result is the same though, which is a lot of people killed in disturbing ways.

Wonder if the main guy from part 1 is really dead. Guess we'll have to wait until they get up to the same point.

Pyrokles

Neo Member
I find it hard to read anything that isn't on a tablet.
Weirdly the paper/digital divide applies for me even with manga. I just like physical copies more, even if digital is more convenient
Mangas/books/Comics are the only thing where I don't want to go digital.
I love having a huge physical collection of mangas in my room.

I'll probably never understand the people who prefer digital/e-book over physical copies of books/manga. The act of reading itself is better to me when you hold it in your hand, feel the pages and notice the faint smell of ink/paper. And then there's the more satisfying collecting aspect. I don't feel as much attachment to books/manga/movies if I only have them in digital form. Unfortunately most of the manga I read aren't available physically here and I want to try keeping my collection homogeneous without too many english releases (Hayate and Wandering Son stand out enough already). And yes I do have trouble finding space for them by now and I still don't want to forsake physical.

Same thing goes for games for me. Yes, it's more convenient to get them digitally, but I'm less satisfied because the collecting aspect is gone. Even though I prefer playing PC games, I prefer buying console games since I don't have an impaired version (don't jump on this part talking about graphics I only play exlusives on consoles :p) barring online multiplayer stuff that I don't care about in most games anyway and I only play pure multiplayer games for multiplayer. There's also not a single unplayed PS3 game I own because of that, whereas my steam library is much worse.

I'll probably never understand the people who prefer digital/e-book over physical copies of books/manga. The act of reading itself is better to me when you hold it in your hand, feel the pages and notice the faint smell of ink/paper. And then there's the more satisfying collecting aspect. I don't feel as much attachment to books/manga/movies if I only have them in digital form. Unfortunately most of the manga I read aren't available physically here and I want to try keeping my collection homogeneous without too many english releases (Hayate and Wandering Son stand out enough already). And yes I do have trouble finding space for them by now and I still don't want to forsake physical.

Same thing goes for games for me. Yes, it's more convenient to get them digitally, but I'm less satisfied because the collecting aspect is gone. Even though I prefer playing PC games, I prefer buying console games since I don't have an impaired version (don't jump on this part talking about graphics I only play exlusives on consoles :p) barring online multiplayer stuff that I don't care about in most games anyway and I only play pure multiplayer games for multiplayer. There's also not a single unplayed PS3 game I own because of that, whereas my steam library is much worse.

I think the space issue is at least the biggest concern. People dont like carrying all their game cartridges with them when they travel or game on the go, so its convenient to have everything on the device and ready to go. Similarly at least, it is kind of convenient having a few of my manga on my kindle versus carrying it all in hand, if I were traveling somehwere or what not. Though I do like having all my stuff on my shelves and on stacks and prefer the feeling of the paper, it adds a certain type of charm and feeling to the reading, making it feel a way more of an intimate and sensual experience.

Only digital I really have is just the dmp/dmg/sublime releases.

bigkrev

True.
I only have ~380 mangas but I'm already running out of space.

0_o

I only own ~150 mangas and already feel like its too much. I've been trying to ditch some of it (I have all of Kenshin and 1-24 of Eyeshield that take up too much space). If digital manga got cheaper (I think 4.99 that Viz asks for is too much), id probably buy a ton. 1.99 is probably my sweet spot- i'd probably buy all of One Piece at that price.

0_o

I only own ~150 mangas and already feel like its too much. I've been trying to ditch some of it (I have all of Kenshin and 1-24 of Eyeshield that take up too much space). If digital manga got cheaper (I think 4.99 that Viz asks for is too much), id probably buy a ton. 1.99 is probably my sweet spot- i'd probably buy all of One Piece at that price.

$4.99 is too much? Thats like about 69cents per chapter. How much less does one want their manga (lowest cost from other companies Ive bought is $7.49).

You could save and get the omnibus releases of One Piece.

I don't think I could ditch any of the manga I have, only saving space I really did was like buy only part 2 of Naruto, and all of the Arrancar Saga of Bleach. Wasnt planning on getting Full Bring and beyond but, Im like, I might as well just go ahead and complete the rest of Bleach. Maybe the future long series Ill just buy the arcs that Id really feel like rereading or stuff less than 10 volumes.

bigkrev

$4.99 is too much? Thats like about 69cents per chapter. How much less does one want their manga (lowest cost from other companies Ive bought is $7.49).

I'm just really price sensitive. Looking at my shelf, The only manga from Tokyopop I own is .hack, because in the mid 2000s, Viz was charging 7.99 for most stuff where Tokyopop was charging 9.99. When Viz bumped all their titles up to 9.99 a few years ago, I pretty much stopped buying Manga (dropped to about 2 vols a year). 4.99 is too much for me to pay for a digital volume, so i'm not buying any. If they were 1.99, I could see myself buying upwards of 100 items a year, mostly on impulse at that price.

Shit, I don't have a computer capable of running games in any real capacity, and I own over 200 games in Steam from various bundles and sales.

Kurita

Is 9.99$ the price even for shounens/shoujos...?
In France they're often cheaper (around 6.80€) than seinens which can be pretty expensive (like, REAL is 8.45€, Zetman is ~10€, damn...).

bigkrev

In France they're often cheaper (around 6.80€) than seinens which can be pretty expensive (like, REAL is 8.45€, Zetman is ~10€, damn...).

I'm pretty sure the Shonen Jump/Shojo Beat stuff was the stuff at 7.99. Anything they published that wasn't under those banners (Detective Conan, Inuyasha, Flame of Recca, Excel Saga, ect) was always 9.99. I think it was 2009 or 2010 they moved them all to 9.99- I know this cause my copy of Ruroni Kenshin vol 6 (which I lost and wanted to replace) was 9.99 while all the other ones were 7.99

In France they're often cheaper (around 6.80&#8364;) than seinens which can be pretty expensive (like, REAL is 8.45&#8364;, Zetman is ~10&#8364;, damn...).

For Viz Shonen Jump/Shoujo titles, the price for new stuff is usually $9.99...(kids stuff like pokemon is 7.99)
Kodansha titles are usually pricier (like Fairy Tail and etc) at 10.49
Vertical seems to do the same at 10.49 for their stuff
Yen Press seems all over the place (like Bunny Drop is 12.99/Soul Eater 11.99)
Omnibus stuff is $14.99 - $19.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom