• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read some OnePunch Man this last week. Pretty good. It looks good, has a funny premise and it's pretty funny chapter to chapter. I have to say the whole 'mis-understanding angle' (in this case everyone think the strongest hero is a nameless smuck) is my most hated thing in Manga/anime but they work with it ok. The whole organization of dumbass super heroes is a gold mine though and I'll always love seeing more of them.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Sabo the Emperor not coming to the aid of his broheim would be pretty ridiculous.

Not if he's gone all Grimdark after what happened at the hands of the world nobles. Plus Kaido was fighting Shanks at the time, maybe he was on the way there but Shanks didn't want to war to escalate. Shanks did seems keen on stopping the war when he showed up.

Wiseblade

Wiseblade brings reality into our fantasy :(

If Sabo's alive, then Oda has to explain why he didn't show up at marine HQ, that much is guaranteed. The most obvious/sensible options are:

1) He didn't know about the war - Maybe he doesn't read newspapers or was in an area that didn't get them delivered at the time.
2) He wasn't in a position to do anything - There's every possibility that Sabo wasn't on the Grand Line at the time, or had no way to Marine HQ. And there's always the exciting option of "he was simply too weak to make a difference at the time", which is a bit of a copout, but only works if he's taken several levels in badass since.

Regardless of what the actual reasoning is, Oda needs to provide one for shenanigans not to be called.

Not if he's gone all Grimdark after what happened at the hands of the world nobles. Plus Kaido was fighting Shanks at the time, maybe he was on the way there but Shanks didn't want to war to escalate. Shanks did seems keen on stopping the war when he showed up.
The way the Marines reported it, Kaido was trying to attack Whitebeard. That definitely doesn't sound like sabo.

Kusagari

I like to think before Blackbeard showed up, the same four Emperors had been in power for a long time. Which would of course scrub out Sabo. Hard to say though if that's the case or not.

Shingeki no Kyojin 42

LOL, that's the same way I divulge big secrets. I think it works and is necessary because we've had so many big revelations lately that if they kept on getting trumpeted as the BIGGEST THING EVER, it would get absurd.

Madao

Naruto

i just had this weird theory. what if Orochimaru's "evil side" was sealed when Itachi sealed him with his Susanoo back in the Itachi vs Sasuke fight and this new resurrected Oro came without that evil side since the source was completely different.

Bleach

if that's all there is to the fight, it's gonna be a worse end than Ulquiorra's fight.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I just keep it real. I will call it shit when it's shit.

And Bleach has been shit. For the past few weeks.

I don't think I've ever given a OP chapter an F.

All of my feels.

Naruto 620

Okay chapter. It explains why the First and Second Hokage were so weak when they were first brought back. Not much else to say.

Bleach 526

These guys really love fighting. I mean, there was no ulterior motive or anything. Unohana's "sin" was making Zaraki restrain and weaken himself. So she learns healing to fight him. And then she makes him kill her.

One Piece

So you think Oda's off playing DQ with Togashi?

Akito

To EVERYONE reading Shingeki no Kyoujin, read this topic:

http://forums.mangafox.me/threads/367305-I-know-who-the-armored-and-colossal-titans-are...?

I'm not kidding, this guy got EVERYTHING RIGHT, one fucking year before everyone.

My mind is full of fuck right now!
Jesus, I heard about this dude (Kurita brought him up) but I thought it was only a case of someone having made a bold prediction but that was some fantastic observations and conclusions there, he really was right about everything. Great stuff, I intended to re-read the series to find some clues but that's superfluous now.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Naruto 620

Okay chapter. It explains why the First and Second Hokage were so weak when they were first brought back. Not much else to say.

Bleach 526

These guys really love fighting. I mean, there was no ulterior motive or anything. Unohana's "sin" was making Zaraki restrain and weaken himself. So she learns healing to fight him. And then she makes him kill her.

One Piece

So you think Oda's off playing DQ with Togashi?

It's more likely he's sleeping with his beautiful wife.

remz

It's more likely he's sleeping with his beautiful wife.

Really? I've heard stories but I haven't really checked.

EDIT: Hot damn.
XYv4Eik.jpg

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Honestly, the way the foreshadow was made is pretty cool, but holy shit the reveal couldn't be any more random/out of place. It just feels like the author is rushing.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Bleach

I think the whole skeleton stuff, as people have suggested, was metaphorical. Kenpachi "awakening," shedding his skin, "it's all melting away," becoming a true god of death. I think Unohana as a skeleton there confirms it. He is becoming what she already is, and he can finally see it.

Though that means Unohana's bankai has done absolutely nothing so far, which means she's definitely not dead, despite all that Farewell nonsense.

Maedhros

Honestly, the way the foreshadow was made is pretty cool, but holy shit the reveal couldn't be any more random/out of place. It just feels like the author is rushing.

The guy just can't take it anymore. He seems very upset being on the same side of humans. He's starting to understand their side, and that's conflicting with the giants belief (whatever it is). That's why he simply try the direct approach.

Nothing wrong at all.

Antiwhippy

The guy just can't take it anymore. He seems very upset being on the same side of humans. He's starting to understand their side, and that's conflicting with the giants belief (whatever it is). That's why he simply try the direct approach.

Nothing wrong at all.

That's fine and all, but again, what I take to issue is the suddenness of it. If a guy who you know, who always seemed normal to you, came up to you all of sudden saying "I fucking hate your guts." and stabbed you with no prior warning, wouldn't that throw you off?

That's fine and all, but again, what I take to issue is the suddenness of it. If a guy who you know, who always seemed normal to you, came up to you all of sudden saying "I fucking hate your guts." and stabbed you with no prior warning, wouldn't that throw you off?

And that's exactly what the point of doing it this way is (although they apparently already suspected these two were Titans).

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

It is precisely due to the author did the reveal this way that this feeling is strong, which is fantastic IMO. It is precisely due to the normalness and suddenness of the situation that makes this chapter works for me. And the author did drop off hints for astute readers; people just need to know where to look (as proven by that detective guy, awesome)

Yeah, that was good. The execution of the reveal though, sucked.

I disagree.

I think the way he handles the reveal was fantastic. For me at least, the unexpectedness and the all-of-a-sudden thing really surprised me, and the way Mikasa suddenly moved against them was incredible. It's precisely due to this supposedly "lack of build-up" that the revelation works, for me. It's nicely handled/presented.

I think the reveal would lose a lot of its "SHOCKING!" value if we have dramatic panels or somesuch preceding it. By doing it like this, it's much more effective at delivering the "Oh my God!" feeling, at least for me.

We don't know anything about Kaido (other than he has a zoan fruit and is building an army) yet, so it being ridiculous doesn't make sense yet.

This made me think. Do we know if he himself has a zoan? Or do we just know he has a zoan army?

I guess it's safe to assume either way, just wasn't sure.

I disagree.

I think the way he handles the reveal was fantastic. For me at least, the unexpectedness and the all-of-a-sudden thing really surprised me, and the way Mikasa suddenly moved against them was incredible. It's precisely due to this supposedly "lack of build-up" that the revelation works, for me. It's nicely handled/presented.

I think the reveal would lose a lot of its "SHOCKING!" value if we have dramatic panels or somesuch preceding it. By doing it like this, it's much more effective at delivering the "Oh my God!" feeling, at least for me.

I agree with your disagreement. The way they had a conversation going on in the foreground, and then had the reveal going on in the background, made it seem like this was a joke, like how One Piece will always have characters having funny little conversations in the background. Then you slowly realize they're not joking, and finally there's the sudden explosion of violence. It was very deftly done.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I agree with your disagreement. The way they had a conversation going on in the foreground, and then had the reveal going on in the background, made it seem like this was a joke, like how One Piece will always have characters having funny little conversations in the background. Then you slowly realize they're not joking, and finally there's the sudden explosion of violence. It was very deftly done.

Yup. It's like.... *jokes* *laughs* *jokes* *KABOOM!* *HOLY FUCK!*

It's refreshing for a mangaka to do something like this, especially considering the way the big 3 usually handles revelation/surprises.

Very nicely done.

I can't imagine Eren/Mikasa would be able to forgive them two, considering they basically caused the death of their mother. Damn, the next chapter gonna be intense.

Maedhros

It might be the point, but for a series so great at developing tension and paranoia it just felt incredibly out of place.

Cry me a river man. I know you were annoyed, but people actually liked it. Just deal with it. I thought it was cool and pretty much in place with this manga theme.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I also really like how Mikasa is the strongest/most able person in the manga right now. Again, it's especially refreshing considering how the Big 3 usually handles women characters in their work (that's why I have high hopes for Unohana too, and then Kubo just kills her like that, fucking lame)

Antiwhippy

Cry me a river man. I know you were annoyed, but people actually liked it. Just deal with it. I thought it was cool and pretty much in place with this manga theme.

What? I'm not actually annoyed, I'm just discussing to parse out my thoughts on the chapter and why I felt it was out of place. Was the tone of my post that whiney? Yeesh.

I'll just say that I can see why people would like it, but the twist is still really throwing me off. Felt like a chapter of medaka box.

Pimpwerx

Naruto
Naruto is fast climbing the scale of least-interesting main character. Back when the manga was all about Sasuke's emo bs, I was pining for Naruto. Then he got caught in a shitty training arc where the only interesting thing was his parents. Then he got into a monotonous war where he's kicked a lot of ass, but has largely done so in a boring fashion. For all the chapters full of action, it's mostly been boring as hell.

Now that we're back to Sasuke, it's actually interesting. I'm glad we're hearing about the backstory of the Leaf's origins. Tobirama is a badass, take no shit kind of guy. It's crazy that Hashirama could intimidate him so easily. Dude was a boss. That Wood Soul jutsu looks sick. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I hope we stay with Sasuke a bit.

Bleach
Meh. So Unohana and Kenpachi are in love with fighting each other? Meh. We didn't even get a good look or explanation of her bankai. I assume she'll be revived anyway, so I guess we'll be able to see her show off when they go launch a counterattack on the quincies. Since the quincies have been revealed to be really strong, SS will want their second-strongest captain around to fight.

I'm kinda disappointed Kenpachi didn't learn to release his sword. Or is his sword already in shikai and just worn down? I forget, but it looks like a normal blade, and he doesn't use any special attacks. Hopefully he can release his zanpakuto and ew can finally see its released form. PEACE.

I disagree.

The way Mikasa moved against them was good but the framing of the reveal (and the reveal itself) could have been done much better. It doesn't feel subtle for me, it feels rushed.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'm kinda disappointed Kenpachi didn't learn to release his sword. Or is his sword already in shikai and just worn down? I forget, but it looks like a normal blade, and he doesn't use any special attacks. Hopefully he can release his zanpakuto and ew can finally see its released form. PEACE.

Yeah he's got an always-shikai blade like Ichigo. I hope he figures out his sword's name, though, and manages a bankai at some point before the end of the series. Fights always have to have a powerup during them, so maybe this fight here puts him in "finally not held back" mode, then because of that mode, he finally communes with his sword during whoever he has his final series fight with. No point in that happening NOW, it's gotta be his last thing.

He's at least indicated INTEREST in knowing his sword's name, right after Ichigo fucked him up. I hope they come back to that.

THOUGH, with this happening at the same time as the "zanpakutos start blank, and become something as you put your reiatsu into them over the years" explanation, I wonder if them showing him as a kid with that sword was relevant. Why would some random brat have a zanpakuto? Is it even his? Is he maybe using someone else's, thus his inability to communicate with it?

(I'm also wondering why the hell Ichigo had a shikai zanpakuto when he first became a shinigami now, though. They'd better explain that once we get back to him. Maybe it'll come along with Kenpachi's explanation.)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The way Mikasa moved against them was good but the framing of the reveal (and the reveal itself) could have been done much better. It doesn't feel subtle for me, it feels rushed.

Nah, I disagree. And there's nothing "subtle" about it, true, because the reveal was done right at the beginning out in the open, but I don't think the mangaka actually want to convey subtlety (maybe you are misinterpreting my post? I said the hints that were expertly subtle, not the revelation.)

Its precisely the element of unexpectedness and suddenness of it that makes it works so well with me. How quick the situation transformed from calm to hellish, its' amazing.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah he's got an always-shikai blade like Ichigo. I hope he figures out his sword's name, though, and manages a bankai at some point before the end of the series. Fights always have to have a powerup during them, so maybe this fight here puts him in "finally not held back" mode, then because of that mode, he finally communes with his sword during whoever he has his final series fight with. No point in that happening NOW, it's gotta be his last thing.

He's at least indicated INTEREST in knowing his sword's name, right after Ichigo fucked him up. I hope they come back to that.

THOUGH, with this happening at the same time as the "zanpakutos start blank, and become something as you put your reiatsu into them over the years" explanation, I wonder if them showing him as a kid with that sword was relevant. Why would some random brat have a zanpakuto? Is it even his? Is he maybe using someone else's, thus his inability to communicate with it?

(I'm also wondering why the hell Ichigo had a shikai zanpakuto when he first became a shinigami now, though. They'd better explain that once we get back to him. Maybe it'll come along with Kenpachi's explanation.)

I wouldn't be surprised if he named his zanpakuto "Unohana" after this, or just "Retsu"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom