• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
About that Naruto chapter, this really shows that the older generation is better than this new brand of pussies. I mean really, does anyone in their right goddamn mind think that Naruto is comparable to the fourth? MUCH LESS FUCKING HASHIRAMA. I mean seriously.

Sasuke's storyline is so much more important, it's stupid as shit.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
About that Naruto chapter, this really shows that the older generation is better than this new brand of pussies. I mean really, does anyone in their right goddamn mind think that Naruto is comparable to the fourth? MUCH LESS FUCKING HASHIRAMA. I mean seriously.

Naruto and co is like, how old, 15? 16? 17?

Of course he and his friends are not comparable to the Hokages with years and years of time and battle experience to hone their personalities/battle skills.

I don't think anyone "in their right goddamn mind" would even make the attempt to make that comparison in the first place.

Rorschach

And don't forget that the Sage of the Six Paths is stronger than everything that ever lived combined. All of Naruto's themes get washed away sooner or later.

Pimpwerx

The fourth? Yes. Even the 3rd. I mean, 9tails Naruto has super healing hax along with chakra bonanza. Plus the ultimate jutsu in the universe, talk no jutsu. Tobirama seems to hard-headed to listen, plus apparently came up with some of the ninja world's worst jutsus. Then Hashirama is just god-tier. He took on the full-sized kyuubi by himself, along with Madara's broken-ass Susanoo. Naruto only has half the kyuubi's chakra, so he'd probably get owned. PEACE.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So Kishimoto isn't in his right mind. Well, I always figured that anyway.

Huh, I am just saying that it's not exactly fair to compare Naruto's abilities and whatnot and then saying it less impressive than Harashima and co when Naruto is just only 15/16/17 years old (how old is he anyways?) while the Hokages has years of battle experience.

I actually want to imply that you are the one who isn't in a right mind *smirks*

Branduil

The way the reveal was handled is understandably divisive, but I don't think it was rushed. It was clearly a deliberate decision to reveal it that way. And I think what curlyfriski said is true to a certain degree, there's no way this could have had the impact of
Annie
even if they had made it a dramatic scene, even the
Ymir reveal
was an example of diminishing returns.

I think in a way it mirrors the emotional state of the characters and their recovery from the rush of adrenaline they experienced during the fight. It's like if you've just played some sports or something and your friend says something weird but you don't process it until a moment later.

I think how they handle the following chapters is a much bigger deal than the reveal. I sure would like some actual answers as to what the
Titans want.

I have a question, why the isn't the 3rd young? Isn't Edo Tensei supposed to bring you back when you were the most powerful, or was that just Kabuto's improvements to the jutsu?

Kusagari

Kabuto did that specifically for Madara.

I really hope we find out how Hashirama died in this flashback since he still looks so young.

789shadow

Banned
Damn, dat ether by Stat. I can safely say that the day Beam has anything less than glowing praise for a Bleach chapter is the day the Earth explodes.

I just keep it real. I will call it shit when it's shit.

And Bleach has been shit. For the past few weeks.

I don't think I've ever given a OP chapter an F.

All of my feels.

Stat man i was away and look what happen to you :(

There was a recent interview with the Hiroe Rei, author of Black Lagoon.

Damn i hope he does not take to long ,the last break really hurt .
I also hope the is more anime even thought i don't like how the last OVA ep was compare to the manga .

Takkoku!! 01-28

A shounen series about playing ping pong for love.

It's wacky, the premise is a joke, yet it really doesn't take itself seriously and that's why I love it. Basically a battle shounen with ping pong as the battle, yet it does use pretty cool tricks to make the sport pretty interesting. The characters aren't bad, a little one note but still likable in their own way.

Do wish it was still actively translated since the series started a school arc and those are always fun.

Anyone can go back to previous chapters and base it off of that. In OP shit is mostly explicitly stated.

Explicitly stated is not foreshadowing. Foreshadowing is using vague terms, subtlety, to show what will happen in the future. When its explicitly stated, it's not foreshadowing. And lol at anybody can do it.

Big One

Banned
Damn, dat ether by Stat. I can safely say that the day Beam has anything less than glowing praise for a Bleach chapter is the day the Earth explodes.
A Bleach chapter could focus on Ichigo squatting and taking a shit for 20 pages with one word on each page with no background and Beam would be satisfied.

Takidani Koukou Manga Club

e07vQX1l.png

This one shot had plenty of potential. Plenty. Too bad it never went anywhere.

A Bleach chapter could focus on Ichigo squatting and taking a shit for 20 pages with one word on each page with no background and Beam would be satisfied.

Unlike you i´m not a cheep who likes stuff just because everyone else likes it. It´s been the guy you quoted and batdan who have been attacking Bleach fandom because last year Bleach was so much better than one piece it was not even comparable. they can´t stand how that someone might like Bleach more than one piece. Of course they are jealous children who don´t know any better. And i would rather have no background with clean art than having everything showed into one panel which makes it impossible to tell what´s happening. And yes i would rather watch Ichigo taking a shit instead of seeing the same meaningless convo that goes on with the SH crew, or goodbye or parties etc.

Mr. Fix

Explicitly stated is not foreshadowing. Foreshadowing is using vague terms, subtlety, to show what will happen in the future. When its explicitly stated, it's not foreshadowing. And lol at anybody can do it.

Stated might have been the wrong word I was looking for. But it wasn't hinted at having anything to do with the plot or meaningful back then, was it? Kubo could have just as easily been going through the older chapters, and decided to make a throw-back reference to it. There's a difference between throw-backs and foreshadowing.

This is much like with the Edo 1st and 2nd. Back in Part 1, was there any reason to believe that they weren't at full-power back then? Kishi just managed to give that new detail to keep up with the current power levels.

Unlike you i´m not a cheep who likes stuff just because everyone else likes it. It´s been the guy you quoted and batdan who have been attacking Bleach fandom because last year Bleach was so much better than one piece it was not even comparable. they can´t stand how that someone might like Bleach more than one piece. Of course they are jealous children who don´t know any better. And i would rather have no background with clean art than having everything showed into one panel which makes it impossible to tell what´s happening. And yes i would rather watch Ichigo taking a shit instead of seeing the same meaningless convo that goes on with the SH crew, or goodbye or parties etc.

You can't honestly expect people to take you seriously with a tantrum like this can you? It's like you need to take jabs because you're series is being attacked, which is okay, but to the point where you're saying stuff as ridiculous as that last line. You're not 15, you're better than that.

Stated might have been the wrong word I was looking for. But it wasn't hinted at having anything to do with the plot or meaningful back then, was it? Kubo could have just as easily been going through the older chapters, and decided to make a throw-back reference to it. There's a difference between throw-backs and foreshadowing.

This is much like with the Edo 1st and 2nd. Back in Part 1, was there any reason to believe that they weren't at full-power back then? Kishi just managed to give that new detail to keep up with the current power levels.

The matter of the fact is that Kenpachi has always handicapped himself to fight his enemies because he loves fighting. His riatsu is shaped as a skull when he releases it and is happy fighting. Him getting freed from his shackles was shaped as a skeleton and a skull. That´s definitely foreshadowing and that happened 400 chapters ago. Much like everyone thought that Shinji´s shikai has to do something upside down, or inversion, because he was hanging upside down when he met Ichigo for the first time. Nothing was stated. Nothing was hinted. Just a picture, and a picture is worth a 1000 especially with regards to manga since manga is a visual medium.

You can't honestly expect people to take you seriously with a tantrum like this can you?

WTH are you talking about. Nothing happens in these convo between the SH except the same old lame crap. Party chapters are shit. Worse than shit, because it´s waste of time.

Edit: At least i consider them like that.

Bleach

Teasing years for a bankai only for the user to lose embarrassingly. Oh well, not like Unohana was a decent character so it didn't matter.The theme with their skin peeling away could have lasted a bit longer for more impact.

Mr. Fix

WTH are you talking about. Nothing happens in these convo between the SH except the same old lame crap. Party chapters are shit. Worse than shit, because it´s waste of time.

Because it gives an actual sense of adventure? There needs to be downtime, dude. It seems like you're just interested in the fights, that's what the other 2 are for.

No shit. The matter of the fact is that Kenpachi has always handicapped himself to fight his enemies because he loves fighting. His riatsu is shaped as a skull when he releases it and is happy fighting. Him getting freed from his shackles was shaped as a skeleton and a skull. That´s definitely foreshadowing and that happened 400 chapters ago. Much like everyone thought that Shinji´s shikai has to do something upside down, or inversion, because he was hanging upside down when he met Ichigo for the first time. Nothing was stated. Nothing was hinted. Just a picture, and a picture is worth a 1000 especially with regards to manga since manga is a visual medium .

Your just seeing what your want to see i can easily call that a retcon \throw back and i won't be wrong also.
No need to be so uptight .

Because it gives an actual sense of adventure? There needs to be downtime, dude. It seems like you're just interested in the fights, that's what the other 2 are for.

Don't even bother beam gets way to angry at stuff and most fans enjoy the parties since we normal get info along with character interaction .
It also give a sense of accomplishment and adventure .

No i don´t like just fighting. I like all the Fullbring arc until the shinigami´s arrival. And there was barely a punch. I liked all the Sindria arc in Magi. I like Beelzebub etc....To have parties, and meaningless convo is waste of time. Sense of adventure can be done in a better matter with better convo instead of the same skeleton jokes, nose bleeds, and stupid exaggerated facial reaction. The meaningless convo happen frequently and not just as down time. You barely see the SH talk deeply or seriously about anything. No one has even mentioned ACE for god´s sake. It´s like nothing happened these past 2 years except the SH becoming stronger than before the time skip.

Your just seeing what your want to see i can easily call that a retcon \throw back and i won't be wrong also.
No need to be so uptight .

No i´m not seeing what i want to see. That´s how foreshadowing works.

Don't even bother beam gets way to angry at stuff and most fan enjoy the party part of one piece since we normal get info along with character interaction .

Because the parties are worthless and waste of time. I don´t get angry at one piece because i am largely indifferent about it. Well maybe except when women are sidelined and are considered worthless in this manga, or that Smoker became a fodder that was destroyed 3 times this arc. For one who has been Luffy´s rival for years, he is sure can´t touch Luffy now or anytime in the future. That´s just shit writing.

Big One

Banned
Mission accomplished, fellas. I'm out.

No i don´t like just fighting. I like all the Fullbring arc until the shinigami´s arrival. And there was barely a punch. I liked all the Sindria arc in Magi. I like Beelzebub etc....To have parties, and meaningless convo is waste of time. Sense of adventure can be done in a better matter with better convo instead of the same skeleton jokes, nose bleeds, and stupid exaggerated facial reaction. The meaningless convo happen frequently and not just as down time. You barely see the SH talk deeply or seriously about anything. No one has even mentioned ACE for god´s sake. It´s like nothing happened these past 2 years except the SH becoming stronger than before the time skip.

Why should the SH talk about Ace they know why and how he died there no reason to talk about him .

Mr. Fix

Does it really matter though? OP gags are fit into corners of panels, and the parties only take about half a chapter. Bleach gags actually take up more space because the chapters are short enough as it is. They literally take pages.

or that Smoker became a fodder that was destroyed 3 times this arc. For one who has been Luffy´s rival for years, he is sure can´t touch Luffy now or anytime in the future. That´s just shit writing.

Because it isn't cliche? While we haven't actually seen them fight, it is a bit disappointing though, but he was playing with the bigger boys. If he gets the shit beaten out of him by a loser like Coby, then feel free to complain.

Besides, you'd probably complain that Luffy's training was crap/useless if Smoker could actually beat him. Luffy was trained by one of the best after all.

Why should the SH talk about Ace they know why and how he died there no reason to talk about him .

Yeah, there´s no reason to see how Luffy took it and the hell that he went through hell and everything that happened with him and the stuff he did to free Ace, or ask about his crew and what they did in the past 2 years etc.... Clearly the parties and useless nose bleed jokes and skeleton jokes are more important than actually having a meaningful convo between the crew members.

Mr. Fix

No one has even mentioned ACE for god´s sake. It´s like nothing happened these past 2 years except the SH becoming stronger than before the time skip.

Luffy stopped crying in the car. He's not supposed to be like Ichigo with his why me sad face. He got over it. 2 years, dude. It'd be a problem if Luffy was still hung up on it.

Yeah, there´s no reason to see how Luffy took it and the hell that he went through hell and everything that happened with him and the stuff he did to free Ace, or ask about his crew and what they did in the past 2 years etc.... Clearly the parties and useless nose bleed jokes and skeleton jokes are more important than actually having a meaningful convo between the crew members.

What the hell are you talking about most of that stuff is done off screen and it makes no sense to go back threw it when the reader already knows what happens .
When the SH have meaning meaningful conversion it about new plot details for Eg Franky talking about Kuma or Jinbe talking about world changes and we find out them.

Smoker became a fodder that was destroyed 3 times this arc. For one who has been Luffy´s rival for years, he is sure can´t touch Luffy now or anytime in the future. That´s just shit writing.

Smoker was always fodder in a way the only reason Luffy had trouble with him is because he could not hit him .
I happy he get his ass beat down since people had him higher than he should be , he has not won 1 fight since he beat Luffy 500 chapters ago .

Does it really matter though? OP gags are fit into corners of panels, and the parties only take about half a chapter. Bleach gags actually take up more space because the chapters are short enough as it is. They literally take pages.

Because it isn't cliche? While we haven't actually seen them fight, it is a bit disappointing though, but he was playing with the bigger boys. If he gets the shit beaten out of him by a loser like Coby, then feel free to complain.

Besides, you'd probably complain that Luffy's training was crap/useless if Smoker could actually beat him. Luffy was trained by one of the best after all.
It´s not cliche? Huh? That´s how you justify bad writing. OK then. Eh Smoker was so much above Luffy in the time skip it´s ridiculous, and now, he can´t do anything against him. That´s especially true when Smoker moved to G5 unite and i thought he will get a substantial increase in power. That was true when G5 were hyped before the time skip.
Luffy stopped crying in the car. He's not supposed to be like Ichigo with his why me sad face. He got over it. 2 years, dude. It'd be a problem if Luffy was still hung up on it.

He got over it? More like it did not happen. Luffy did not change one bit psychologically, or mentally. He still has the same ambition, the same goal, the same everything, except power. The only thing that changed is his ability to use haki. And no, don´t give it´s a fun manga excuse. I don´t care, since if all the event that Luffy went through and he still stays the same, it´s like these event have not happened to him, since mentally he still the same. He still the same cut board character from chapter one. And yes the crew should have asked him how is he doing and things about him and vice versa. But no apparently knowing what happened for the crew is not important as a party, skull and nose bleed jokes.

What the hell are you talking about most of that stuff is done off screen and it makes no sense to go back threw it when the reader already knows what happens .
It adds realism to the interaction between the damn crew. But no keep excusing these kind of writings.

Smoker was always fodder in a way the only reason Luffy had trouble with him is because he could not hit him .
I happy he get his ass beat down since people had him higher than he should be , he has not won 1 fight since he beat Luffy 500 chapters ago .
No he was not. He has been Luffy´s rival for years. He followed him relentlessly. Becoming a punching bag while Luffy becoming this strong is shit writing.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's like Beam against the whole world here :eek:

I somewhat agree to some of the things he said however--well, maybe not so much said but probably implied--; I really think OP has become way too formulaic for its own good.

But then again I don't think even Oda is capable of changing his repeated formula after he's doing it for more than 600 chapters.

Pimpwerx

Gantz
What happened to the rest of the gantzers who were waiting in the queue on the alien ship, waiting to be transferred? Don't they still have those big guns they can use to destroy the alien warrior? I'm a bit confused. Anyway, at least this chapter makes some sense to me. I still want this manga to end already though. PEACE.

Mr. Fix

It´s not cliche? Huh? That´s how you justify bad writing. OK then. Eh Smoker was so much above Luffy in the time skip it´s ridiculous, and now, he can´t do anything against him. That´s especially true when Smoker moved to G5 unite and i thought he will get a substantial increase in power. That was true when G5 were hyped before the time skip.

He got over it? More like it did not happen. Luffy did not change one bit psychologically, or mentally and the way he thinks about stuff. He still has the same ambition, the same goal, the same everything, except power. The only thing that changed is his ability to use haki. And no, don´t give it´s a fun manga excuse. I don´t care, since if all the event that Luffy went through and he still stays the same, it´s like these event have not happened to him, since mentally he still the same. He still the same cut board character from chapter one. And yes the crew should have asked him how is he doing and things about him and vice versa. But no apparently knowing what happened for the crew is not important as a party, skull and nose bleed jokes.

We've yet to see Luffy meet Akainu or Blackbeard, but Luffy would definitely become a stale character if he went all serious. And would Ace's death really be an appropriate topic to bring up to a friend you haven't met in 2 years, especially since Ace died 2 years prior?

The interactions in the crew already seem pretty chill anyway, what are you expecting? If you could give an example from Bleach that shows what you're looking for, please show it.

No he was not. He has been Luffy´s rival for years. He followed him relentlessly. Becoming a punching bag while Luffy becoming this strong is shit writing.

It's consistency. You're comparing Smoker and Luffy, when you should be looking at who he actually fought in this arc. In a world filled with Haki users, how could Smoker possibly fight off against the abilities/Haki of Law, Vergo, and Doflamingo?

How was smoker so much above Luffy he was not faster or stronger in physical strength or durability from what we have seen .
Simple fact was Luffy could not hit him and he won't because of that every time and nothing else .
Also how was G5 hype ? It was one line about it having problems and it being in the NW .

He got over it? More like it did not happen. Luffy did not change one bit psychologically, or mentally. He still has the same ambition, the same goal, the same everything, except power. The only thing that changed is his ability to use haki. And no, don´t give it´s a fun manga excuse. I don´t care, since if all the event that Luffy went through and he still stays the same, it´s like these event have not happened to him, since mentally he still the same. He still the same cut board character from chapter one. And yes the crew should have asked him how is he doing and things about him and vice versa. But no apparently knowing what happened for the crew is not important as a party, skull and nose bleed jokes.

Why the hell should he change answer me that ?
He notice he was weak which is why he could not save his brother he stop and train to become stronger so it don't happen again.

Dresden

Simply not true at all. Lots of hints were dropped. Again:

http://forums.mangafox.me/threads/367305-I-know-who-the-armored-and-colossal-titans-are...?

I'll not sleep until everyone has read this topic!

I saw that earlier when Kurita linked it (and edited it out later). I mean, cool foreshadowing, but I don't think it excuses how off the reveal feels. It's one of those things where you can understand the intent behind the move, but you don't agree with the effect.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Maybe it's just me, but I never really see Smoker as Luffy's rival, even during his first reveal.

I saw that earlier when Kurita linked it (and edited it out later). I mean, cool foreshadowing, but I don't think it excuses how off the reveal feels. It's one of those things where you can understand the intent behind the move, but you don't agree with the effect.

It's divisive, as some said they don't like it and some said they really like it--me on the latter. So I don't think it needs no "excuse" for me :)

It works really well.

Mr. Fix

JQWRQ3z.png

This does not realistically portray human interaction. It's also as stale as Brook's jokes. It's fucking manga/shonen, Beam, what do you expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom