• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've yet to see Luffy meet Akainu or Blackbeard, but Luffy would definitely become a stale character if he went all serious. And would Ace's death really be an appropriate topic to bring up to a friend you haven't met in 2 years, especially since Ace died 2 years prior?
Growing up =/= stale.
The interactions in the crew already seem pretty chill anyway, what are you expecting? If you could give an example from Bleach that shows what you're looking for, please show it.
The conversation between Ichigo and Rukia at the beginning. Where Rukia asks Ichigo about how his mother died and tha the considered himself to be the guilty one. Rukia felt very stupid for implying that it was a hollow when all he could do was blaming himself. The time where Ichigo was very afraid of his inner hollow, Rukia showing how much she knows him, knock some sense into him. In the FB arc Rukia does the same to Ichgio and shows how much she knows him. The convo between Ichigo and Tatsuki where Tatsuki punch him for not telling her where Orihime is or what´s going on. The convo between Orihime and Rangiku in the shower. It really showed a side of Orihime we have not seen before. Chad showing him how much he knows him in the Fb arc. Komamura´s thoughts about Tousen, who Komamura always thought of him as a friend even after all that has happened.

All of these convo add depth and new dimensions to both characters and manga, and show that character have connections with real people instead of having all these unrealistic behavior of nothing happened and not changing.

It's consistency. You're comparing Smoker and Luffy, when you should be looking at who he actually fought in this arc. In a world filled with Haki users, how could Smoker possibly fight off against the abilities/Haki of Law, Vergo, and Doflamingo?
Who ever heard of Vergo before now? How about Smoker gets a weapon upgrade to stop him from becoming a fodder. Why did he want to transfer to G5 in the new world where everyone can use haki and there are so many powerful enemies if the intent was not to grow his powers massively. While i did not expect Smoker to beat the Joker, i did expect him to wipe the floor with Vergo and at least put a decent fight against Law, or maybe beat him
How was smoker so much above Luffy he was not faster or stronger in physical strength or durability .
Simple fact was Luffy could not hit him and he won't because of that every time and nothing else .
He was faster. That showed in the war. We really saw how big the power gap between the 2.

Why the hell should he change answer me that ?
He notice he was weak which is why he could not save his brother he train to become stronger so it don't happen again.

Really? After all kind of shit happening to him he still a kid. He still does not strategize, does not plan, and his thoughtlessness always gets the crew in trouble. He should show some degree of mental growth. His ambition is still the same. His behavior is still the same. He is still the same.

Him wanting to get stronger does not constitute any change. He knew he was weak when Aokiji for the first time. Nothing has change. He is still the same kid from cahpter one.
JQWRQ3z.png

This does not realistically portray human interaction. It's also as stale as Brook's jokes. It's fucking manga/shonen, Beam, what do you expect?
Talk about reaching. I provide you manga event that shows the depths of characters and you try to dismiss it by it´s fucking Shonen, and provide comic relief as part of your argument. Hell the convo between Naruto and Shikamaru after Jiraya´s death shows that depths for both character and the manga. It was amazing, i related to it. Adding a bit of realism in a fiction make people relate to characters and manga.

Growing up =/= stale.

The conversation between Ichigo and Rukia at the beginning. Where Rukia asks Ichigo about how his mother died and tha the considered himself to be the guilty one. Rukia felt very stupid for implying that it was a hollow when all he could do was blaming himself. The time where Ichigo was very afraid of his inner hollow, Rukia showing how much she knows him, knock some sense into him. In the FB arc Rukia does the same to Ichgio and shows how much she knows him. The convo between Ichigo and Tatsuki where Tatsuki punch him for not telling her where Orihime is or what´s going on. The convo between Orihime and Rangiku in the shower. It really showed a side of Orihime we have not seen before. Chad showing him how much he knows him in the Fb arc. Komamura´s thoughts about Tousen, who Komamura always thought of him as a friend even after all that has happened.

All of these convo add depth and new dimensions to both characters and manga, and show that character have connections with real people instead of having all these unrealistic behavior of nothing happened and not changing.

Who ever heard of Vergo before now? How about Smoker gets a weapon upgrade to stop him from becoming a fodder. Why did he want to transfer to G5 in the new world where everyone can use haki and there are so many powerful enemies if the intent was not to grow his powers massively. While i did not expect Smoker to beat the Joker, i did expect him to wipe the floor with Vergo and at least put a decent fight against Law, or maybe beat him

He was faster. That showed in the war. We really saw how big the power gap between the 2.

Really? After all kind of shit happening to him he still a kid. He still does not strategize, does not plan, and his thoughtlessness always gets the crew in trouble. He should show some degree of mental growth. His ambition is still the same. His behavior is still the same. He is still the same.

Him wanting to get stronger does not constitute any change. He knew he was weak when Aokiji for the first time. Nothing has change. He is still the same kid from cahpter one.

Bunch of nonsense showing you that don't read the manga or just add shit to it in your mind .
It's a lost cause talking to you cause you see what you what to see and add and take out what you want to when come to OP .

Mr. Fix

What chapter specifically is this? I actually want to read it.

Talk about reaching. I provide you manga event that shows the depths of characters and you try to dismiss it by it´s fucking Shonen, and provide comic relief as part of your argument. Hell the convo between Naruto and Shikamaru after Jiraya´s death shows that depths for both character and the manga. It was amazing, i related to it. Adding a bit of realism in a fiction make people relate to characters and manga.

You act like this is exclusive to Bleach though. Is it the interactions? There's quite a handful that both have that emulate that.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Binbougami Ga 50

HeAHIQk.png

Yeah.

Edit: seems like there's going to be a final villain with that masked monk. Or in a twist it's actually Bobby.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Bunch of nonsense showing you that don't read the manga or just add shit to it in your mind .
It's a lost cause talking to you cause you see what you what to see and add and take out what you want to when come to OP .

You say this but you just can't resist responding to him, can you, hahaha.

I think how they handle the following chapters is a much bigger deal than the reveal. I sure would like some actual answers as to what the
Titans want.

We've GOT to get something on where all these Titans are coming from. We got that tease about a "home village" from Ryner. It would have been nice if Eren had just agreed to come quietly with them so we could get some answers.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
We've GOT to get something on where all these Titans are coming from. We got that tease about a "home village" from Ryner. It would have been nice if Eren had just agreed to come quietly with them so we could get some answers.

Impossible, considering that they basically caused the death of his mother.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I know it wouldn't make sense for him to do it. I'm just impatient and I want progress NOW.

Hahah, yeah, but at least its still not Gantz or Cage of Eden bad... yet.

I know , I try really hard not do it but i can't seem to help my self .
Could just used when Zoro was talking about Ussop joining back the crew as counter but why bother .

Speaking of that--Usopp defecting from Strawhats, I mean--man, I wish OP has more of those moments, you know, when strawhats need to deal with problems related to themselves instead about others. It would have been nice to see more scenarios like that so that each of the strawhats can develop further beyond... well, right now it seems like they are just limited to a "party-go-lucky" crew in terms of depth.

It's why Usopp defecting arc is still the best and the most touching moments in One Piece for me.

Kurita

I saw that earlier when Kurita linked it (and edited it out later).
I was not sure if it was allowed to link this, because, well, it's still Mangafox so...

That said, I'm surprised Kurita outlasted some of you in not changing his avatar. Neoriceisgood's reign must come to an end, eh?
I have to say that I'm also surprised since I usually change my avatar like every week.

You are so full of it and can't accept anyone who critic one piece. Funny you ignored all of my points since you have no counter to them.

dumbyugi

You are so full of it and can't accept anyone who critic one piece. Funny you ignored all of my points since you have no counter to them.

But from what I've seen you can't accept anyone who is critical of Bleach either.

Beelzebub 192

This had some funny moments but so far this arc has been pretty average. At least it seems like there will be some actual story progression coming up.

Speaking of that--Usopp defecting from Strawhats, I mean--man, I wish OP has more of those moments, you know, when strawhats need to deal with problems related to themselves instead about others. It would have been nice to see more scenarios like that so that each of the strawhats can develop further beyond... well, right now it seems like they are just limited to a "party-go-lucky" crew in terms of depth.

It's why Usopp defecting arc is still the best and the most touching moments in One Piece for me.

I don't expect to see much of that because of how the SH crew was form .
It happen once and it was great moment but i don't see much reason as to how it can happen often.
When you look at it all the SH members own a great deal to Luffy and it's only the weak trio that don't like how he does stuff .

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
This thread mid-week is what I imagine a Japanese primary school playground to be like.

Hahahah this discussion.

It's all in good fun, despite people trying so hard to appear like they're upset or something :)

I think, anyways, hahaha.

I don't expect to see much of that because of how the SH crew was form .
It happen once and it was great moment but i don't see much reason as to how it can happen often.
When you look at it all the SH members own a great deal to Luffy and it's only the weak trio that don't like how he does stuff .

It doesn't have to be conflict. It can be anything like... maybe a member is heavily suffering due to something and they show support to him/her/it (in case of Chopper, hahaha). So far nowadays they always deal with other people's problems--it would be nice I think if every once in a while Oda introduces a crucial plot point that revolves around a member of Strawhat that the crew themselves need to deal with.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
wow at these arguments.. :)

i never thought this is what would happen if naruto got a good chapter for the week.

People are wondering and confused about where they get to channel the bad energy that they have accumulated all week when Naruto turns out to be decent; since they can't get mad at it in the end it results in more fiery discussions of other series.

I think you're into something here, my friend.

wow at these arguments.. :)

i never thought this is what would happen if naruto got a good chapter for the week.

People are wondering and confused about where they get to channel the bad energy that they have accumulated all week when Naruto turns out to be decent; since they can't get mad at it in the end it results in more fiery discussions of other series.

I think you're into something here, my friend.

I think it has less to do with Naruto being good than Bleach being bad.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Beelzebub 192

Seems like this is going to be a pretty long fighting arc.

Awww. :(

I think the author of Beelzebub should just go full comedy at this point. Beelzebub the comedy manga absolutely curbstomps Beelzebub the battle manga it's not even funny.

I think it has less to do with Naruto being good than Bleach being bad.

I was just joking.

Mostly.

Though I refused to read this week's Bleach... thanks to me witnessing the spoilered last page by Big One before I even read the chapter. Well, not until I get a confirmation whether Unohana survives or not at least.

I will counter one since you think i can't plus it's always a good way to kill time.

beamanswer_zpsd3d96cea.jpg

He went to NW because that was where he thought Luffy was going .
No where was it imply he went there to get a massive power up or train etc etc .
The next part of your post is you not liking events that happen .
Your free to critic or dislike OP it's not like it changes anything .

@ Fix, memories in the rain is where Rukia talks to Ichgio about his mother.

Beelzebub

This is getting real interesting. The demon king´s enemies should be really interesting.

Westlo

Kuroko has fujoushis.

Every popular manga has fujoshis.... anyway Toriko manga is pretty much maxed out, if it was a WWE Wrestler it would be Randy Orton.

01. Kuroko no Basket #21 (430,505 / 432,056)
02. Toriko #23 (255,518 / 256,505)
03. Gintama #48 (245,087 / 246,442)

Every popular manga has fujoshis.... anyway Toriko manga is pretty much maxed out, if it was a WWE Wrestler it would be Randy Orton.

01. Kuroko no Basket #21 (430,505 / 432,056)
02. Toriko #23 (255,518 / 256,505)
03. Gintama #48 (245,087 / 246,442)

I don't think Jump was expecting Toriko to be the next DB or OP those to big .
Still i sure they were hoping for another million seller or close it but nothing seem to be working .
Time to put there money into AC since it has gotten fairly big already .

Akito

Beelzebub
Moe Aoi and lol Furuichi, aside from that pretty meh.

Nisekoi
Everything went just like expected, at least that's one dumb misunderstanding less we have to deal with.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I actually agree with Beam and his points, although they might appear a bit rough around the edges. I don't like how Oda has handled things since the time skip. I still haven't gotten an idea of how Luffy actually feels about things since I saw him crying in the woods and Jinbei beating the hell out of him. And I'm not just talking about Ace. I'm talking about everything. I don't know. I just feel like everyone in the crew besides Sanji and Zoro are too pussy to step up to Luffy. As lame as it sounds, it is important to know the psychological state of your leader.

Its not as if there needed to be a roundtable discussion about it that takes up a couple of chapters. That's not really Oda's style. Nonverbal acknowledgement of the crew or specific interactions when they're separated about the matter(s) is more what I'd like to see. These last two arcs have literally been cut and paste. I feel like the 2 years gave them haki and some new moves.

Its not bad. Just boring.

Mael

I think the author of Beelzebub should just go full comedy at this point. Beelzebub the comedy manga absolutely curbstomps Beelzebub the battle manga it's not even funny.

I was just joking.

Mostly.

Though I refused to read this week's Bleach... thanks to me witnessing the spoilered last page by Big One before I even read the chapter. Well, not until I get a confirmation whether Unohana survives or not at least.

This is Bleach, when was the last time he actually killed a character?
Genryusai? Even then we saw the corpse disappear and all, all the others are "wounded", so I fully expect Gin and the others to alive and all.
Same will happen with Unohana, as long as she doesn't disappear in a puff of reiatsu, she's alive.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
One Piece didn't even come out this week yet Beam still started another One Piece argument. I think the guy is actually tsundere for the series :p

I actually agree with Beam and his points, although they might appear a bit rough around the edges. I don't like how Oda has handled things since the time skip. I still haven't gotten an idea of how Luffy actually feels about things since I saw him crying in the woods and Jinbei beating the hell out of him. And I'm not just talking about Ace. I'm talking about everything. I don't know. I just feel like everyone in the crew besides Sanji and Zoro are too pussy to step up to Luffy. As lame as it sounds, it is important to know the psychological state of your leader.

Its not as if there needed to be a roundtable discussion about it that takes up a couple of chapters. That's not really Oda's style. Nonverbal acknowledgement of the crew or specific interactions when they're separated about the matter(s) is more what I'd like to see. These last two arcs have literally been cut and paste. I feel like the 2 years gave them haki and some new moves.

Its not bad. Just boring.

Stat my good friend we already know how Luffy feel about everything i know FI was bad but he made it rather clear in that arc.
Unless you talking about him going in depth about it .

Are you talking about "We'll protect everything"?

jhfcanL.png

That's so deep.

I am talking about the whole arc in general when it comes to him eg mental health etc etc .
Also i never said it was deep , Luffy is not a deep character to begin with he is rather one dimensional .
He will always do want he wants , him training was just so he can keep on doing that after reality hit him with how weak he was .

I thought smoker could only win buy using that sea stone sword anyway? and that following the SH crew around would not involve fighting all the people luffy ect have fought that gave them thier "power ups" and so on.
Who was he beaten by? Joker whos like some next level nutter, vergo who was ranked above him and who is the third person im forgetting.

Perhaps him being trounced in this arc is the motivation needed for him to get his ass in gear. Also Ice dude showing up to say "well I told you it was crazy out here you need to learn Haki" or whatever will come in the next few chapters.

I am talking about the whole arc in general when it comes to him eg mental health etc etc .
Also i never said it was deep Luffy is not a deep character to begin with he is rather one dimensional .
He will always do want he wants , him training was just so he can keep on doing that after reality hit him with how weak he was .

Oh, I just saw that you edited your post. That's not fair. You weren't talking about the arc, you specifically mentioned chapter 639.

Wiseblade

Why is anyone crying over Smoker losing fights? He's been doing it ever since he was introduced. In fact, the only time Smoker has ever been protrayed as strong was when he was a big fish in a little pond. Of course a Logia in the East Blue is going to build a reputation. But ever since he met Luffy, he's been outmatched at every turn.

First Smoker was served his buttcheeks on a plate by Dragon. Then, he failed to even touch Ace at Alabasta, which is kind of embarrassing when you consider that he carries around a Seastone Jutte all the time. He was useless against Crocodile too and ended RQing the whole business after Luffy saved his life. Even during the Whitebeard war, He gets slapped around by Hancock.

Nobody should expect anything other than defeat from Smoker.

Latest WSJ cover.
http://i.imgur.com/ixlBQ83.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
You're not akito

Oh, I just saw that you edited your post. That's not fair. You weren't talking about the arc, you specifically mentioned chapter 639.

Yes i did but i realize it would not cover certain all the points i was trying to make .
So then i change it to the whole arc which was a better answer .
Luffy not going to change , to him the only reason he not save Ace was because he was weak now that he power up back to normal .
As i said he is rather one dimensional .

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Just because something has good over arching story doesn't necessarily mean the character's are any good. One Piece is better at world building than character development in my opinion. Each of Strawhat's have a tragic back story, but other than that and the Usopp incident, none of them have really changed through-out the course of nearly 700 chapters.
Luffy IS the same as he's always been, despite all trials and hardships, but the fandom love it. It's risky to suddenly give him a drastic personality change, as fans may not take too kindly to it. The character's themselves are stuck in a formula, because the formula works. They'll always have the same interactions with one another, i.e. Luffy eating all of the food and Sanji punishing him, because the formula works, and we know none of them are gonna die until they achieve their dream, because what'd be the point of their journey? But it's due to this formula the series is getting some what repetitive, in terms of both the main characters development and arc progression.

I'm not saying the Strawhat's are bad, hell, I love Franky, Zoro, and Sanji, but they have become a little stale playing on the same tropes for over 10 years.

This is Bleach, when was the last time he actually killed a character?
Genryusai? Even then we saw the corpse disappear and all, all the others are "wounded", so I fully expect Gin and the others to alive and all.
Same will happen with Unohana, as long as she doesn't disappear in a puff of reiatsu, she's alive.

Yamamoto and Chojirou are killed by quincy arrows. They are not coming back, since quincies destroy the souls.

Maedhros

Just because something has good over arching story doesn't necessarily mean the character's are any good. One Piece is better at world building than character development in my opinion. Each of Strawhat's have a tragic back story, but other than that and the Usopp incident, none of them have really changed through-out the course of nearly 700 chapters.
Luffy IS the same as he's always been, despite all trials and hardships, but the fandom love it. It's risky to suddenly give him a drastic personality change, as fans may not take too kindly to it. The character's themselves are stuck in a formula, because the formula works. They'll always have the same interactions with one another, i.e. Luffy eating all of the food and Sanji punishing him, because the formula works, and we know none of them are gonna die until they achieve their dream, because what'd be the point of their journey? But it's due to this formula the series is getting some what repetitive, in terms of both the main characters development and arc progression.

I'm not saying the Strawhat's are bad, hell, I love Franky, Zoro, and Sanji, but they have become a little stale playing on the same tropes for over 10 years.

Unless you're named Beam, fans will not like it.

One Piece didn't even come out this week yet Beam still started another One Piece argument. I think the guy is actually tsundere for the series :p
So tell me dude, what do you think about character progression, development and interaction in one piece? Are you really satisfied with the same shtick for this long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom