• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

The plot-focused arcs after the timeskip haven't been as strong as the character-focused arcs beforehand[...].

If there were more posts like this during the Shonen Wars, I'd certainly feel a lot less hesitant to post during them. Good job articulating all this, I've felt the same for quite some timenow but didn't know how to present myself with it (or more importantly, didn't think it'd be worth reading from me :p).

Akito

You'll have to elaborate on that a bit more because I honestly do not see much of Natsu outside of following the Luffy template, who I always thought followed the Goku template.
Natsu wins every fucking single time, that's what "special" about him.

You'll have to elaborate on that a bit more because I honestly do not see much of Natsu outside of following the Luffy template, who I always thought followed the Goku template.

Well based on the list and my interpretation of Natsu, I dont think he fits the criteria.

1. MC starts out not strong enough to protect his nakama.
2. MC realizes he is not strong enough to protect his nakama; declares he will become strong enough to protect his nakama.

Natsu never gives off the feeling that he is never not strong enough nor that he has ever seemed to imply that he needed to become stronger, I think the only recent time was basically a one day training thing and then being handed a new power. Even when he had the fight post right after coming out of stasis, he still defeated the characters that had been living for seven more years. Ultimately, I think he is just blessed with strength when its needed most.

I think character growth for Natsu, is handled more in the way of thinking and strategizing.

Steroyd

Natsu wins every fucking single time, that's what "special" about him.

But he got haki'd by Shanks Gildarts!!

Well based on the list and my interpretation of Natsu, I dont think he fits the criteria.

Natsu never gives off the feeling that he is never not strong enough nor that he has ever seemed to imply that he needed to become stronger, I think the only recent time was basically a one day training thing and then being handed a new power. Even when he had the fight post right after coming out of stasis, he still defeated the characters that had been living for seven more years. Ultimately, I think he is just blessed with strength when its needed most.

I think character growth for Natsu, is handled more in the way of thinking and strategizing.

Contradiction dude.

Right after the time leap Natsu felt that he wasn't strong enough to take on everyone else's 7 year advancement (hence rushing a training method for 3 months), also Gildartz putting him in his place was another instance pre-time leap that made Natsu fit those 2 criteria you just quoted.

I was all excited because that megapost made it look like there was character development :T

There was.
That megapost is bullshit anyway. It keeps claiming stuff like...

"Compare it (ichigo's behaviour) to the wimpy kid who didn't want to take the responsibility of protecting everyone because it was too much of a hassle."

Using that one panel, when that isn't even true of his character at that point. He was already sticking his neck out for chad, rukia, his sisters, whoever because that's just who he was anyway. The whole protecting everyone thing is the point of his fucking character and his been since the start. All that panel was was his dumbass, immature posturing.

nabbed this from the bleach wiki-

So what exactly taking that out is his development? He apparently learns to fight with his brain, sheds the tough guy act (sometimes), learns basic human empathy (what the author of that post calls a "power to read people" lmao) and becomes OK with taking orders from soul society and killing.

It's even funnier when you consider that there's multiple panels saying that he "never changes" or is "still the same as then" when talking about ichigo, heck 476, the chapter he used at the end has rukia saying exactly that.

basically it's all BS written to manipulate people into thinking bleach is better than it is. You could make a way better post in this vain about Luffy or even Coby from one piece without even trying.
The fuck? Lololololol. Written to manipulate people? As if these things did not happen in the manga. Every thing in that post is true, and actually happened in the manga.

Alright make a better post about Luffy or Coby than this better and what actually happened int he manga. Holy shit the poison that is coming from your post is hilarious.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Well there's also a Spanish edition if you speak Spanish.

I don't know, it's just that France and Italy usually get more interesting mangas than the other countries.

Oh yeah, I heard that france actually has a pretty robust anime/manga scene.

Jintor

If it took 500 god damn chapters to get from 'protects friends' to 'protects everyone' I wouldn't exactly call that a shining bastion of char development

but what do I know, I don't read shonen

Jintor

It´s not only that, but you would know if you actually bothered to read the link.

I admit most of it filtered out from between my ears after I read like 40 chapters of interminable fighting comprised primarily of pulling surprise techniques out of character's asses

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy reading Bleach, but it's not really my go-to for meaningful character development.

I've yet to see Isshin again though which was my main reason for starting up again. Maybe Ichigo's dad will make something happen

I admit most of it filtered out from between my ears after I read like 40 chapters of interminable fighting comprised primarily of pulling surprise techniques out of character's asses

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy reading Bleach, but it's not really my go-to for meaningful character development.

I've yet to see Isshin again though which was my main reason for starting up again. Maybe Ichigo's dad will make something happen

Bleach is not my go to manga with regards to character development either. Shonen is not the place for these things.
I want a manga where the protagonist has Beam's personality.
Oh goody, you also want a feel good manga about sun, flowers, butterflies. Great, i thought i was the only one.

Mr. Fix

I was taking a look through the Magi wiki. All I know is of 4 magi, kings, dungeons, and guy named fucking Sinbad. I'm also 4 chapters in. Needless to say, I like what I'm reading.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
I picture God's Beard as the old mentor guy who sacrifices himself for the better cause.

I can actually imagine DTL as a misguided villain with a plan similar to Obito.

He wants to create a perfect shonen world in which nobody ever loses & everyone's a hot half-naked pretty boy hero.

Mr. Fix

I picture God's Beard as the old mentor guy who sacrifices himself for the better cause.

Ya'll haven't seen him in his rapping (I know I spelled that right) tentacle form though:

Pgw5jWu.jpg

YAWN

Can I be that villain who brags about how powerful he is but then dies like a bitch?

YAWN

Neorice would be the cute mascot.
Stat and Beam would be the two misunderstood villains with tragic back stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom