• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumbyugi

I've tried reading Yankee-kun 4 times and I just can't get into it. It's not terrible but nothing about it made me want to keep reading.

Jintor

Eh, I really liked the early parts, since I like the characters and I'm a sucker for delinquent style mangas, but yeah, it starts getting really rote.

I just really like Chiba, I think. And this Vice-President guy who just got introduced, he's kinda cool.

Actually it's like a less polished version of early Bleach (esp the Ichigo-Ishida-Chad relationship) if it was just a slice-of-life and Chad was a doofus

wonzo

Banned
Hinamatsuri 1-5.5
hinamatsuri3.jpg

Whoa, that third chapter was utterly brilliant. Great stuff.

Akito

Emma v7
Ok, that got resolved quickly, almost in an anticlimactic way. There was no sense of time, the characters travel between England and the US like it's just a short trip and I still don't know why William suddenly decided to search for Emma in the US, didn't seem like the most obvious place to me. The conflict with the Viscount was also got not that big of a deal, Papa Jones was surprisingly cool about it.
Overall I like the series well enough but the ending could have been better. Now let's see what those gaiden chapters are about.

Jintor

Yankee-kun to Megane-chan Vol 5

If this had been the second volume I'd be a lot more enthralled. The idea of a delinquent student council, and then finding out the previous year's student council is more or less the same, and then the whole thing slowly morphing into another fighting manga is a lot more compelling than the zany shit the series was going through before. Admittedly they spent a while setting up some of the characters, but I get the sense the mangaka didn't really understand what they wanted out of this manga until the third volume or so.

Still, kinda cool.

Some of the reaction faces seem very Fairy Tail.

Jintor

Yankee-kun to Megane-chan Vol 7

"Why...? Why... did they help me... even after I severed our ties...?

Oh... I forgot... one important thing...

Our student council... is composed...

entirely of idiots."

Died laughing

Jintor

Yankee-kun to Megane-chan Vol 8

This is a new record. A man manages to get two dates
with the same person thinking they're separate people and manages to screw himself out of both of them.
God damn.

I find it amusing that their teacher looks like a shady-ass motherfucker but is in reality just a pretty alright teacher

Also fifth-wheel girl hasn't really had any stories about her at all :T

Akito

Emma v8-10
That was great, there were some really nice stories. The wedding at the end kinda makes up for the lackluster ending in the 7th volume.

Now onto Shirley.

Emma v8-10
That was great, there were some really nice stories. The wedding at the end kinda makes up for the lackluster ending in the 7th volume.

Now onto Shirley.

It felt like Kaoru Mori didn't know how to end it, but wanted to anyway. That was the weakest moment in the manga.

But yeah, the wedding made up for it in terms of art and story.

Akito

Shirley & Shirley Madison
Quite the idealistic portrayal of maids, a 13-years old, who is the perfect maid?. As a lighthearted read, it's not bad but not exactly something to write home about either.

Kaoru Mori: Anything and Something should arrive tomorrow, based on the cover that's where she lives up her obsession with bunny girls? lol

Magi

Well, that was sort of a nothing chapter. Aladdin seems hax but I'm guessing something will happen with Sheharizad to give the Feralis more equal footing somehow. Sheherizad didn't seem so shocked so I'm guessing she has a trump card.

Edit:what was up with a lot of the translation changes this chapter? Did something come up that shed light on something? Judar I could understand but the Magnashutat to Magnadtat(or whatever it was) seemed odd.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
WSJ US is out. Here's the TOC.

One-Punch Man
Naruto
World Trigger
Bleach
Nisekoi
Toriko
Cross Manage
Dragon Ball

Next week's promos: Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal and One Piece.

WSJ US is out. Here's the TOC.

One-Punch Man
Naruto
World Trigger
Bleach
Nisekoi
Toriko
Cross Manage
Dragon Ball

Next week's promos: Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal and One Piece.

Reminded me, I don't think I ever saw the second chapter of World Trigger come out. Guess the simultaneous release worked for at least one series?

upandaway

Minamoto

Well that's convenient! Hahaha. So far I like her the most out of all the girls.

I wonder if he can come clean to her about his whole business, who knows, maybe she'll start a female Genji version!

I haven't really read Yankee-kun due to all the bad things I heard about the ending but you might wanna check out Yamada and the Seven Witches instead (same author).

It's not as good as Yamada, but Yankee-kun is worth a read imo. Unless of course the ending is that bad when it gets translated.

upandaway

World Trigger 2

The translation is poetically ridiculous. Sometimes they say things that are completely contradictory, and sometimes they say things which just... don't make any sense. With every speech bubble there's a not insignificant chance that in reality it's supposed to be the logical opposite of that statement. And also, it's just really really rough.

Like, I don't even get what he's saying in the last panel. What is that even supposed to mean?

Will try to read it raw in the weekend and report back... it doesn't seem too difficult.

Prunus Girl 41

And now we're into the endgame. Knew it was coming but it still feels too soon. I'll miss Aikawa this series.

Aunt Tits 68

3rd target is cute as buttons. As expected from a chapter titled "A Plain Girl."

World Trigger 2

I thought this chapter was a lot better than the first. Kuga seems like a more extreme version of early Goku. The concept of there being other illegal Naver seems interesting.

Aunt Tits

I'm sure the way this doesn't happen will be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom