• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
World Trigger 2

The translation is poetically ridiculous. Sometimes they say things that are completely contradictory, and sometimes they say things which just... don't make any sense. With every speech bubble there's a not insignificant chance that in reality it's supposed to be the logical opposite of that statement. And also, it's just really really rough.

Like, I don't even get what he's saying in the last panel. What is that even supposed to mean?

Will try to read it raw in the weekend and report back... it doesn't seem too difficult.

This panel?

wonzo

Banned
OPM 21.5

I look forward to all the extra pages Murata's gonna add to the double spread in a few days a la chapter 21.

It's not as good as Yamada, but Yankee-kun is worth a read imo. Unless of course the ending is that bad when it gets translated.
Hmm, I'll wait until translations are finished before jumping in.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Maybe people will read the Viz version then, so I guess that's good.

Sadly, people don't want to pay $25 dollars for a year of manga even if the translations are cleaner ("Zolo" aside). They would rather go to pandas that can't translate shit because it's free.

Kurita

Sadly, people don't want to pay $25 dollars for a year of manga even if the translations are cleaner ("Zolo" aside). They would rather go to pandas that can't translate shit because it's free.
If they think Zolo is bad they should avoid the French translation where Sanji's name is Sandy and Usopp's is Pipo.
Like, what the hell were they thinking.

And seriously, 25 dollars is cheap for simultaneous, clean releases.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
If they think Zolo is bad they should avoid the French translation where Sanji's name is Sandy and Usopp's is Pipo.
Like, what the hell were they thinking.

And seriously, 25 dollars is cheap for simultaneous, clean releases.

Wow, that's like those awful Chinese-to-English fansubs where Usopp is "Crook Bu" and Sanji is "Sunkist".
As for why "Zolo" is hated, Viz used to call him Zoro early on. But when 4Kids came into the picture with their abomination of a dub, Viz changed it. They still haven't changed it back, claiming once that it was for "consistency" but then claiming it was due to the Zorro comic books. They still make those?

upandaway

See this is what bugs me the most about the whole thing. Official translations should, above all else, pride themselves in being... official (i.e factually correct). Using names that are blatantly not the official names just sends the wrong message. If they use something like Zolo, that by itself is merely annoying and not a big deal, but how do I know for example that any of the terms they use in World Trigger are the official names (and they dang well should be because WSJ-US has direct contact with Shueisha for these things)?

They could've just made them up or something, and worse yet if they ARE wrong we're screwed because they're dedicated more to consistency than to correctness..y.

By the way is the flash reader really that terrible, that it's worth less than illegally pirating incomprehensible translations? That seems a bit silly to me, but I didn't try it yet so I don't know.

Yonafunu

Wow, that's like those awful Chinese-to-English fansubs where Usopp is "Crook Bu" and Sanji is "Sunkist".
As for why "Zolo" is hated, Viz used to call him Zoro early on. But when 4Kids came into the picture with their abomination of a dub, Viz changed it. They still haven't changed it back, claiming once that it was for "consistency" but then claiming it was due to the Zorro comic books. They still make those?

How the hell does this even happen?

See this is what bugs me the most about the whole thing. Official translations should, above all else, pride themselves in being... official (i.e factually correct). Using names that are blatantly not the official names just sends the wrong message. If they use something like Zolo, that by itself is merely annoying and not a big deal, but how do I know for example that any of the terms they use in World Trigger are the official names (and they dang well should be because WSJ-US has direct contact with Shueisha for these things)?

They could've just made them up or something, and worse yet if they ARE wrong we're screwed because they're dedicated more to consistency than to correctness..y.

By the way is the flash reader really that terrible, that it's worth less than illegally pirating incomprehensible translations? That seems a bit silly to me, but I didn't try it yet so I don't know.

If I have to endure Zolo in order to get One Piece Colorwalk books here, then it is a minor inconvenince to endure to have access to them.

I always thought there are usually character name translation issues (well with the "r" and "l" isnt it the same for Judar (hulu/aniplex)/Judal (fandom) ? )...I mean just look at the fairy tail names and how the fandom refuses to use the ones even offered by Mashima himself.

If I have to endure Zolo in order to get One Piece Colorwalk books here, then it is a minor inconvenince to endure to have access to them.

I always thought there are usually character name translation issues (well with the "r" and "l" isnt it the same for Judar (hulu/aniplex)/Judal (fandom) ? )...I mean just look at the fairy tail names and how the fandom refuses to use the ones even offered by Mashima himself.

Oh god I know it's super frustrating, I think Jellal/Gerald/Jerald name changed like 5 times though out the course of the scanlations.

upandaway

I mean just look at the fairy tail names and how the fandom refuses to use the ones even offered by Mashima himself.
Well that's because they're really bad names. There's a preference to official names, but don't get me wrong. If they're that bad don't use 'em, official or not.

If you want to see a more extreme example of that, look at Hunter x Hunter. The 2004 databook is full of bizarre, downright creepy official names. Here are some from memory, tell me if you can reverse some of these yourself - I won't tell you who's who.

Curarpikt
Quwrof Wrlccywrlir
Wbererguin
Chzzok
Phalcnothdk (<- HOW)
Hyskoa

retcon: I think these are right too:
Matiy
Syarnorkl
Kkkyau
Yellmi

Akito

Pls

ib0WJVXbxxFGhG.jpg

IHaveIce

Banned
Well that's because they're really bad names. There's a preference to official names, but don't get me wrong. If they're that bad don't use 'em, official or not.

If you want to see a more extreme example of that, look at Hunter x Hunter. The 2004 databook is full of bizarre, downright creepy official names. Here are some from memory, tell me if you can reverse some of these yourself - I won't tell you who's who.

Curarpikt
Quwrof Wrlccywrlir
Wbererguin
Chzzok
Phalcnothdk (<- HOW)
Hyskoa

retcon: I think these are right too:
Matiy
Syarnorkl
Kkkyau
Yellmi
Lol what. How do you pronounce the half of it.

Aunt Tits
Ok this could end really well with her, but 9 pages per week is still sooooo lame

Stinky

"Norland the Great Lair"

Hmm, they misspelled liar.. oh I'm sure its just a typo. NOPE, HE WAS CALLED THAT OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

One Piece has some really awful scans for such a popular series

Bisoromi Bear, fucking lol. Donquixote and Tanjiahdo are pretty much the same anyways

EDIT: Oh yeah, Viz also named some characters before their official romanizations came out so Jinbe is called Jimbei

One-Punch Man 5
tumblr_mifjc9fhvG1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Instant favorite character, what a stunning appearance to be on like Saitama's level with just one blast destroying all those pesky mosquitos and that ugly mosquito queen. Has potential to be really awesome I hope and wonder if he and Saitama will meet up soon, I hope. I wonder why Saitama didnt rush out to face off against the mosquito threat, then again he only seems partially committed doing the hero saving thing just for fun, Fun chapter.

Akito

Mix 10
feelsbadman.jpg
I really could have done without the "having to lose first in order to win it all" trope this time.

World Trigger 2
tumblr_mifi6lE0mt1s5992do1_250.png

Osamu hopefully helping show Yuma what and how to do things will be fun. Loved the bullies showing up twice in this chapter (might as well call them that). I liked Yuma's approach to them.

I wonder how much of a human Yuma is though, unless all Neighbors are human just with special abilities like his healing thing.

Jintor

Yankee-kun to Megane-chan Vol 18

Jesus christ, this college prep arc is dragging on and on and on. This series really topped out with the sports competition ouendan arc.

...it's still kinda fun though

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yep. Also there still quite a bit more to go apparently.

Karate Minoru 194

At least he did something good intentionally.

Nisekoi: False Love 62

The past two chapters or the time starting since Raku became Hana's sec were really the best set of Nisekoi chapters thus far, liked all the moments and his dedication to bringing the two together, definitely did deserve his rest. If only the whole series could stay this funny, touching, and sentimental.

Cross Manage 21

Surprised to see this still going. I think I doubted it way back 22 weeks or so ago I guess. Entertaining chapter but not the type of romance type story I really would engage in reading about and what not. Did at least smile at where he had the gift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom