• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiseblade

Togashi knows he has an anime to keep people interested in the property for a good while, so he's just going to sit back and count the money from Volume/DVD sales until it ends. really, he doesn't even need to pick up a pen for a good while if the anime covers the Chimera ant arc, even moreso if it goes up to the latest chapter. It's not totally implausible for it to end there and tease a "Season 2" when he gets around to actually doing something.

Kusagari

Oh, that.

Honestly though when I read that I felt it was a pretty good stopping point, because there's no way he'll finish it on time to really do the concept justice.

If he had just ended with Ging introducing the concept to Gon then it would have been a decent open-ended ending.

The whole Beyond Netero thing confirms he plans on going all out with the idea though.

Steroyd

Togashi knows he has an anime to keep people interested in the property for a good while, so he's just going to sit back and count the money from Volume/DVD sales until it ends. really, he doesn't even need to pick up a pen for a good while if the anime covers the Chimera ant arc, even moreso if it goes up to the latest chapter. It's not totally implausible for it to end there and tease a "Season 2" when he gets around to actually doing something.

I can imagine the anime ending on an open ended note, but I don't think Madhouse would tease a season 2 if they're not sure that they'd be the ones to adapt it in 10 years time.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If he had just ended with Ging introducing the concept to Gon then it would have been a decent open-ended ending.

The whole Beyond Netero thing confirms he plans on going all out with the idea though.
Huh.

I might have to reread it. It's been awhile.

MCD

May I ask why? I just finished reading Kurosawa yesterday and I felt the exact opposite. Other than chapter 30 and 31 it really didn't have any redeeming qualities for me. There were few rare occasions where I rooted for the main character, but that never lasted long. I mostly hated everyone involved.

Kurasawa's decision to confess his wrongdoings near the end made a bigger impact on me than the usual love triangles and stuck between friend and love zones theme found in Molester Man.

Lain

Nounai Poison Berry

This manga's premise is great. At it's core it's a pretty standard a josei romance manga, but the protagonist has a sort of council in her head representing her thought process that analysis and decides what she does. It feels sort of like the online advice of Desha Otoko/Molester man, but taken to the extreme. The council agonizes and argues over ever single detail of the protagonists life and their reactions and interactions are generally more entertaining than what is happening in the real world.

That has to be Setona Mizushiro right?

upandaway

Huh.

I might have to reread it. It's been awhile.
Yeah I think you forgot some stuff, the last chapter was basically an explosion of everything and and flipped everything around:

- New country affiliated with Beyond Netero announces outlawed Dark Continent investigation (agreeing to take millions with them)
- Pariston and Gin withdrew from the Zodiacs, probably to start some shit (Pariston is shown with Beyond's group)
- Netero left a 2nd disc message, still not seen, for "if anyone claiming to be my son shows up"
- The 5 nations ask (or rather, command) the Hunter Org to hunt Beyond Netero

It was pretty insane

Antiwhippy

Hunter X Hunter 340

Oh wow, I missed a whole chapter.

Interesting development, but this is never going to be resolved is it?

I thought 339 was a really good ending point for the series too. Pretty much every story thread was tied up, and now he introduced something new to just milk it? Urgh.

Edit: rereading 339 and yes, it should have ended right there. WTF.

Wiseblade

Hunter X Hunter 340

Oh wow, I missed a whole chapter.

Interesting development, but this is never going to be resolved is it?

I thought 339 was a really good ending point for the series too. Pretty much every story thread was tied up, and now he introduced something new to just milk it? Urgh.

It looks like the Togashi hate club has a new member.

Antiwhippy

Maybe not hate, but man, CH 340 continues to be absolutely baffling to me.

Honestly, I never really thought the dark continent to be a major plot point of the manga throughout most of its run. It was always about Gon finding Ging, and now that its finished it just feels like he's continuing for the hell of it.

Desmond

lol no.

In fact it was at a point where a possible ending was in sight before the latest hiatus and then Togashi added something that completely changed the game and would make another 5+ years look likely even without the hiatuses.

The last chapter before the hiatus was basically Togashi sticking his middle fingers up at the audience and saying "You haven't seen anything yet! See you next year, maybe!"
Wow. Nice one Togashi lol

upandaway

Honestly, I never really thought the dark continent to be a major plot point of the manga throughout most of its run. It was always about Gon finding Ging, and now that its finished it just feels like he's continuing for the hell of it.
Definitely, but it's an "in retrospect" kinda thing. The Magical Beasts (including the ants) all come from there (I bet many other things will be explained or traced to there too in the future), and, well... look at the first page of the manga.

If there weren't any hiatuses, most people would be completely fine with ch340, and it would be natural development.

Wiseblade

Money money money money

MONEY

Kurasawa's decision to confess his wrongdoings near the end made a bigger impact on me than the usual love triangles and stuck between friend and love zones theme found in Molester Man.

Thanks.

I can see where you're coming from, but I guess the problem for me was that Kurosawa wasn't an interesting character to begin with. He was just your regular lonely arrogant high school student, who was too cool and mature for the rest of the class, except that he had a perverted twist. It's hard to sympathize with someone like that, even after he fell in love. The best part of the story was probably when Kitahara busted him. It felt a bit like when Kira got caught in Death Note and I totally rooted for her. But that was before I knew what a despicable character she was, with little redemption at the end.

Whereas the story and main character in Molester Man was easier to accept and relate to, because he doesn't act like a total asshole and douche in the first panel you see him. He's just the typical loser and dork from your B-grade romcom, who wants the girl. It's cute, it gets sappy, it got its surprises and some drama and stupid people, but never did I want anyone in there dead.

Antiwhippy

Definitely, but it's an "in retrospect" kinda thing. The Magical Beasts (including the ants) all come from there (I bet many other things will be explained or traced to there too in the future), and, well... look at the first page of the manga.

If there weren't any hiatuses, most people would be completely fine with ch340, and it would be natural development.

Oh yeah, if there were still chapters coming out continuing that story I'd be fine with it too, but it feels like he ended it but kept on tugging at the fishing line in order for us to keep following it.

MCD

Thanks.

I can see where you're coming from, but I guess the problem for me was that Kurosawa wasn't an interesting character to begin with. He was just your regular lonely arrogant high school student, who was too cool and mature for the rest of the class, except that he had a perverted twist. It's hard to sympathize with someone like that, even after he fell in love. The best part of the story was probably when Kitahara busted him. It felt a bit like when Kira got caught in Death Note and I totally rooted for her. But that was before I knew what a despicable character she was, with little redemption at the end.

Back then, I was reading A Town Where You Rage along with some manga so for me it was easier to sympathize with an MC who isn't a spineless dork.

Another thing in Molester is that some of it felt forced or cliché. The way he fall in love with Kansai or how Loli girl tried to force herself on him felt like I was reading A Town Where You Rage just shorter.

I am a bit biased towards troll/strong main characters but again, what made Masturbation Master special for me is his resolve to man up and confess.

Oh yeah, if there were still chapters coming out continuing that story I'd be fine with it too, but it feels like he ended it but kept on tugging at the fishing line in order for us to keep following it.

It did kind of suck that he introduced a whole new arc right before a hiatus that will last who knows how long. Besides that though I think it does make sense where it's going. Sure the open ended-ness of ch 339 would have been a decent ending, but the part with Gon and Gin meeting for the first time felt so anti climactic because of how it was forced on them.

I'm sure there is some milking going on with it, but at least it seemed like the natural next step as opposed to some shoehorned in crap to keep it going. Well except for beyond Netero/Pariston stuff out of nowhere.

I just want it back. :(

Antiwhippy

It did kind of suck that he introduced a whole new arc right before a hiatus that will last who knows how long. Besides that though I think it does make sense where it's going. Sure the open ended-ness of ch 339 would have been a decent ending, but the part with Gon and Gin meeting for the first time felt so anti climactic because of how it was forced on them.

I'm sure there is some milking going on with it, but at least it seemed like the natural next step as opposed to some shoehorned in crap to keep it going. Well except for beyond Netero/Pariston stuff out of nowhere.

I just want it back. :(
Eh I can see that I guess. It's just weird for me discovering this now because I felt that it already had its closure.

Kusagari

The thing is that even though 339 would have been a decent end, there is still other stuff he could have continued the series on with. I mean it's not like we ever got real conclusions with the Ryodan, Hisoka, Kurapika, etc.

Instead, he just throws us right into this Beyond Netero thing out of nowhere.

Bossun

The thing is that even though 339 would have been a decent end, there is still other stuff he could have continued the series on with. I mean it's not like we ever got real conclusions with the Ryodan, Hisoka, Kurapika, etc.

Yes I truly hope HxH is not over. If it is it became the bible of loose ends..

He did show a glimpse of Kurapika though, which gives hope that it could tie in.

Bossun

Wish we got Sket Dance here, actually want the anime more. Ah and whenever I think of Sket Dance I instantly think of this song. One of the three best jump series ever.
reborn, sket dance, hxh

Agreed, though I like it a bit less now, I feel like it kinda lost its focus, less absurd situations and a lot of side characters basically became main characters and have a huge screen time. I'd also like to see Bossun under some good light. It's been so long..

upandaway

It's not really "instead", because all of those characters are sure to interact with this kind of setting since it's a worldwide event. There's also stuff like Jairo and whatever the hell Kalluto's goal is.

What's really frustrating is that Togashi let the movie fly by without giving another 20-30 chapters. That is such bullshit.

Fairy Tail

Team Kagura™. Kagura is pissed off because Erza forgave Jellal. Kagura will unsheathe Arch Enemy™, and fight Erza with her full strength. Even though i know the outcome of Erza ass pulling a win is inevitable, i´m exited to see Kagura´s strength.

Again i will say that it´s Lucy of the future who is in Charle´s vision.

Back then, I was reading A Town Where You Rage along with some manga so for me it was easier to sympathize with an MC who isn't a spineless dork.

Another thing in Molester is that some of it felt forced or cliché. The way he fall in love with Kansai or how Loli girl tried to force herself on him felt like I was reading A Town Where You Rage just shorter.

I am a bit biased towards troll/strong main characters but again, what made Masturbation Master special for me is his resolve to man up and confess.

I've read a good part of KNIM as well and while Molester Man and KNIM both have a romantic theme, it's a bit hard for me to compare them. Every single character in KNIM acts like a total retard, even the dog. Okay, there is no dog, but if there was, he'd be one as well. Molester Man got its fair share of cliches (b-grade rom com, like I said), but it actually felt somewhat realistic, where you could say "okay, something like that could happen" or "oh boy, I know this situation..." and I never had the urge to strangle someone while reading it. It would be like comparing One Piece and Bleach. Both are shonen, but you can't drag Bleach down to the same level as One Piece, just because both have battle scenes. ... Yes, that was mean, I'm sorry. Both kinda suck, but you get my point.

With Kurosawa I had no idea where it was going, until he fell in love. I didn't even know the manga had romantic elements, until up to that point. Which is another problem, because the manga didn't really feel like it was supposed to go that way and turn into this teen drama. I also never felt that Kurosawa was a strong MC, he was just this arrogant badass like Kira or the Sauce. It was obvious that he had it coming, it happens to all of them. The manga basically could've been 5-10 chapters shorter and accomplished the same.

MCD

I've read a good part of KNIM as well and while Molester Man and KNIM both have a romantic theme, it's a bit hard for me to compare them. Every single character in KNIM acts like a total retard, even the dog. Okay, there is no dog, but if there was, he'd be one as well. Molester Man got its fair share of cliches (b-grade rom com, like I said), but it actually felt somewhat realistic, where you could say "okay, something like that could happen" or "oh boy, I know this situation..." and I never had the urge to strangle someone while reading it. It would be like comparing One Piece and Bleach. Both are shonen, but you can't drag Bleach down to the same level as One Piece, just because both have battle scenes. ... Yes, that was mean, I'm sorry. Both kinda suck, but you get my point.

With Kurosawa I had no idea where it was going, until he fell in love. I didn't even know the manga had romantic elements, until up to that point. Which is another problem, because the manga didn't really feel like it was supposed to go that way and turn into this teen drama. I also never felt that Kurosawa was a strong MC, he was just this arrogant badass like Kira or the Sauce. It was obvious that he had it coming, it happens to all of them. The manga basically could've been 5-10 chapters shorter and accomplished the same.

Yeah, I get what you mean.

I didn't read Kurosawa for the love theme nor did I expect it actually. I just read it for the lolz but instead it taught me lessons about life and shit.

That actually felt realistic for me. I had friends in the same situation (and falling for a friend of someone you like? Even I've been there).

A lot of relationships develop in a messy insane manner. I can't even blame Loli for cockblocking Kansai. That shit hurts man.

Kurosawa was a pretty solid Bait & Switch to be honest.

It starts off very comedic and silly to draw in readers, then at a pivotal point it
essentially goes through a genre shift of sorts and you're just like "shit what happens next?!"

It kinda reminds me of a thing often seen in webcomics, where gag-a-day strips suddenly get a serious plot. (except most webcomics fail at it pretty horribly and just feel disjointed)

It kinda reminds me of my experience with the anime version of Midori No Hibi back in the day.

"This concept sounds too absurd not to read"

8-10 chapters later a stream of emotion.

I requested Bossun from Sket Dance.

I vaguely remember you asking for a pose or something specific tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom