• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Next VIZ JUMP issue has both Taishi Tsutsui and Tadatoshi Fujimaki in the issue credits

So make of that what you want. It probably means both WNL and RobotxLaserbeam.
http://www.viz.com/shonenjump/digital/promo/5628
06bae0e2c411cd0063bb420d47686268.png

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
One Piece ch. 862

Pudding's fun because she's straight up got ice in her veins, so I'm kind of 'uh, what' over her completely breaking down in tears because of a single compliment. I don't know where Oda's going with this, and I'm not gonna venture a guess, but whatever direction he takes with her, she better retain some of that attitude.

Haikyuu ch. 250

I basically never comment on this because the way these chapters flow, there's little else to say other than some variation of "that was a hype move," but you know, uh, that was a pretty fucking hype move. The reactions were perfect.

My Hero Academia ch. 134

You ain't no Totoro, pal.

Speaking of which, Kasane is really good. Good looking out Semblance.

Nice. I thought it'd be right up your alley.

Chase17

Next VIZ JUMP issue has both Taishi Tsutsui and Tadatoshi Fujimaki in the issue credits

So make of that what you want. It probably means both WNL and RobotxLaserbeam.
http://www.viz.com/shonenjump/digital/promo/5628
06bae0e2c411cd0063bb420d47686268.png

Robo! I've been enjoying the series, but can see why it's not grabbing a lot of people. Either way happy to see that it has (apparently) been picked up!

I'm still not sure about WNL, it's chapters following the jump start haven't really impressed me. But I guess it will be nice to have a change of pace each week.

Ryuuga

Banned
Does anyone find Dr. Stone incredibly vapid? Like I'm forcing myself to give it a few more chapters but I end each chapter frustrated with how dumb it is. I think because there is a potentially good story in here somewhere with odd pacing.

Fancolors

Robobeam 5
Oh, so we are repeating the same schtick Kuroko had of adding a really broken power to the main character, but then giving him bad stats on everything else so he isn't too strong. It could work, but I'm having a hard time caring for the sport itself. Golf is not a very exciting sport to watch and this manga is not convincing me it is.

Criminale! 33

Unless Sabine has an ace up her trench coat, Operation Save Best Girl is nearing completion. The goon squad should really be more sceptical when they've got kids on laptops/phones right in front of them. Didn't realise this before, but amongst the class it's unusual that the guys are support roles while the girls are the front liners.

kasane

Just read king golf instead.

Better golf manga, author doesnt pussy out with making the main character strong. Since golf is first and foremost a battle with yourself and the course

Does anyone find Dr. Stone incredibly vapid? Like I'm forcing myself to give it a few more chapters but I end each chapter frustrated with how dumb it is. I think because there is a potentially good story in here somewhere with odd pacing.

It's the new Toriko.

OP is such a cock tease. Even though Oda packs his pages with tons of panels it never fails to feel short.

None of the series will be worth buying to me, so bad news for Viz. Though Ill just continue to focus on BLack Clover and buy elDLIVE and Promised Neverland.

Still dont hink WNL or Robo golf will survive and for viz, if RoboGolf will really succeed. I wasnt under the impression that KuroBas was selling like hotcakes here.

wonzo

Banned
i'll never stop clowning on shonen jump for giving a child predator (& his c tier shonen series) unjustified pushes over far more interesting and talented authors 👋

very lttp but bleach last 100+ chapters
uhhhh i think the final battle could've benefited from 2-3 more chapters
wtzgU.gif

Way back in the original "Bleach Manga is Ending" thread, I posted an attempt of mine to basically pretend to be Kubo's editor and try to "fix" Bleach with as little cutting as possible, just changes. But when I did it, it was without the last few chapters. Would anyone want me to try that sort of post again? I thought it was a fun thought experiment to shackle myself (since it'd be too easy to just say "Fuck this whole arc" at some point).

I like it mainly for the art right now. I'm not sure what the end game is supposed to be. Like
at what point would you say you'd rebuilt society or whatever?

cntr

Banned
Way back in the original "Bleach Manga is Ending" thread, I posted an attempt of mine to basically pretend to be Kubo's editor and try to "fix" Bleach with as little cutting as possible, just changes. But when I did it, it was without the last few chapters. Would anyone want me to try that sort of post again? I thought it was a fun thought experiment to shackle myself (since it'd be too easy to just say "Fuck this whole arc" at some point).
Yeah, sure. Sounds like fun.

I like it, but yeah I gotta agree. I'm having some fun from the goofiness, but it feels like it's both too fast and too shallow. Maybe it'll get better, but it's weird.

Once they get their smartphones
I know this is a joke but I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's how they decided

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san ch. 51-52

Somehow entirely incapable of stretching, despite all the exercise this kid does

Little wonder she teases him tbh

Once they get their smartphones

I really hope this is the actual game plan.

wait what

He's not wrong.

Yuusha ga Shinda! Murabito no Ore ga Hotta Otoshiana ni Yuusha ga Ochita Kekka. 87-88

FUCKING BLAKE

What a fucking plot twist

Rough Sketch Sempai 11-12

Just as soon as we get Thicc Sempai we have a new Sempai! The art club president who catches our other Sempai revealing her pervertedness.

So here's a quick write-up by arc of how I'd try to fix Bleach. Spoilers of course.

I think I'd leave the Sub Shinigami arc alone. It sets up the human characters well, hollows are good starter enemies. Good stuff.

Soul Society arc, as much as it's considered the best (or 2nd depending on who counts the first one as a full arc), I think it leads to problems later that are difficult to fix. For starters, I'd chop the squads in half (7 is a good number for mysticism and whatnot) and I'd fold the B tier captains under the A tier (people like Kamamura and Tousen don't really compare so they're the ones I call B tier) as lieutenants. (The lieutenants that get replaced should then be used as maybe some fodder later since this series also has a problem with lack of consequence, but that's for later.) I'd bump up each fight so that Ichigo has to get his best shikai fight against Renji, and then bankai fight against Byakuya as usual. I would remove the Kenpachi fight (as it throws too much away too quickly) from this arc. Aizen and Gin can be the captain defectors (with Tousen as one of their lieutenants) same as before. The objective here is to maintain the quality of the arc without royally screwing over future arcs.

For the Arrancar arc (which is up to Hueco Mundo, in my eyes), I'd probably keep as much as possible here. After trimming the squads, I think we can get reasonable pairings against the Espada without leaving anyone out. Some lieutenants should be killed around the time Hueco Mundo kicks off, to both up the stakes and to display competence on the part of the villains (who as is lose like every fight).

For Hueco Mundo, this is where we really need to find a better mechanism for exposition. Constantly running and talking with boring backgrounds was a terrible mistake on the part of the editor. I like Nel as an HM explainer, and then maybe just have a quick conversation about relevant information. Ichigo is mostly fine here, though his sudden ability to wear his Hollow mask for years (apparently) was a bit pants. I'd change that and draw that out; also, his human companions need to win a fight on their own. There's simply no reason that Kubo should've been allowed to use captains for multiple fights when he could share the love, so to speak. Byakuya, for example, does not need to get to fight 2 Espadas while Chad, Uryu, etc... only fight 1 (and job hard to said Espada).

For Fake Karakura Town, I'd definitely kill some captains/lieutenants, and I'd scrap the Vizards (more on this later). Especially anyone who had already revealed a bankai; you could even come up with some poetic ones. Hitsugaya goes down in a rage over Momo, Koma gets mortally wounded beating Tousen, etc... Something has to happen here. Reveal more final forms; Kenpachi, Hitsugaya, etc... should all hit their last forms here (and maybe die, but no holding out anymore). I'd also change Aizen's abilities; no editor should ever have let such fuckery happen. It should be something like a timer, where the illusions require stamina and burn out if he holds them for too long. In this way, Ichigo can even still be the chosen one to beat him; Ichigo's schtick is insane stamina and energy, and so he's the only one who can keep the fight going for such an extended period of time, or something like that. Again, editing should have caught this! I actually like the loss of powers at the end as a good way to insert a time skip, which should've been used for the express purpose of leveling up side characters off panel for future enemies. Now for the hardest parts...

Fullbring Arc. Reading it all at once, it's not as bad as I remembered. I like the YuYu Hakusho/Dragon Ball way it approaches enemies, where they aren't strong but weird. Good choice to use these as a group for Chad. For the reveal of Ginjo as a foe, I'd tell Kubo to hold the reveal for like 2-3 more years as we turn this shit into a real arc, with proper backing. Everyone knew that this thing was just a vehicle to get Ichigo back to Shinigami powers, so scrap that and pretend like it's never happening again. Editing should have hyped this arc up as a new chapter in the series instead of a quick pit stop. I'd leave out Tsukishima for a while and let the Fullbringers go on a mission to beat some other kind of enemy; my plan would be to use the Vizards we cut earlier. They're all really cool visually, and can pretty easily be worked into vengeful Shinigami that are running around and need to be beat by people that aren't Shinigami. They would match well with the theme of weird powers since a lot of them have some strange ones. Every fullbringer gets a "good guy, bonding with Ichigo" moment. All of this is to invest the reader into what will now be a decent betrayal. Ichigo's fullbring power should be better integrated into his kit as well (also name the damn thing!). This could be the arc that people look back on as a really unique time in the series instead of a drawbridge that we painfully wait to lower to get us to the next real destination. And now for the real shitshow...

Quincy stuff. I'll break this down into mini-arcs. The initial invasion should be much better explained as to why it's happening at all, and the Quincies need to do a bit more wrecking here. A few people do die, but they're almost all too trope-y of deaths to count (everyone knows the old man mentor leader is going to die and get replaced by one of his proteges). I'd require at this point that Kubo do something to remove the Shinigami we know from the picture, by hook or by crook. We've been with them for over a decade now, and we still have a Royal Guard to use. So we'll buff up the Quincies and make it so that only the RG can handle them. Then we'll use the RG and Ichigo's human friends to fight off the Quincies once this mini-arc ends.

For the second invasion, this has got to include the RG winning some fights. This should be a knockdown, drag out affair, but the Quincies just cannot keep pulling the "I win because my power says I win" card. Urahara should come into play heavily here as before, with some explanation of how the bad guys' powers work. Uryu should instead be on Ichigo's team from the start but with doubts; this is more believable than the incredibly obvious double cross Kubo actually wrote. Literally no one thought he was evil, but it is believable that he might have doubts about re-exterminating his people. At no point whatsoever should Ichigo get Quincy powers; you could actually leave his mom as a Quincy for narrative, but no powers. We're well past the point where our MC should be catching new Pokemon, as it were. No new swords or any of that. No "I'm your dad" shit. This is all bad enough that an editor should've said "hell no" when reading it. This invasion should lead up to whatever it was that Aizen hated about the Soul King; don't really let Aizen out though. Just have him explain after the fact while in his chair; that works fine. Ichigo and his friends should have to team up to win in the end, and this should heavily rely on whatever Orihime's powers were supposed to be. Use that, make them do a team attack, and kill the big bad. Done.

For the epilogue, pairings are common and while certainly not high art, they're not egregious enough to care (all seem reasonable). You really need a way to say that there will be no more massive bad guys coming. Maybe have Orihime's god powers permanently lock the Soul King in as safe? I have to guess a good bit here since this is post-cancellation work.

*Some general editing notes. Cast size was terrible here, and should've been managed better. Also, once it became clear that Kubo 100% invented flying (or walking on reiatsu or whatever) to get out of drawing backgrounds, he should've been heavily criticized and told to either have people fly around near objects or can the ability. It was a huge decline in art when he got that shit past his editor.

how i fix bleach

let kubo do the art and someone else write it

the end

Well, yeah, but that's not as fun of a thought experiment lol. I wanted to see how much I could keep; cutting things or changing them too drastically was something I wanted to avoid as much as possible.

Zweizer

Banned
i'll never stop clowning on shonen jump for giving a child predator (& his c tier shonen series) unjustified pushes over far more interesting and talented authors 👋

Haha, glad that you're still the same as ever~

Asagao to Kase-san. 23-24

I think this series just ended again? This is like the third time. Apparently its still gonna continue though???

There's going to be an epilogue I think, but yeah, it would seem it's ending for real.

kasane

Honestly you get used to bleachs overly clean art style

Well tbh hesbjust lazy or its just thats really the way he intended his compositions

How to fix Bleach

1) every arc starting with the soul society cut down the amount of characters

-Soul Society in half (6-7 divisions instead of 13)
-vizored becomes just shinji
-arracar become just the 10 numbered
-fullbringer is just ginjo and tsukishima
-quincy in half (12-13 named chars)

The arracar would just have generic hollows as grunts as opposed to not top 10 arracar, quincy should have their own form of quincy monster things

2) give tatsuki a power to fight, don't give one to orihime

3) give Ichigo a personality beyond just generic shonen lead

4) make all non non main antagonist of the arc fights 2-3 chapters at max, 4 if its a 2 v 2.

5) only give fights to captains or the main cast

bobohoro

Robobeam 5
Oh, so we are repeating the same schtick Kuroko had of adding a really broken power to the main character, but then giving him bad stats on everything else so he isn't too strong. It could work, but I'm having a hard time caring for the sport itself. Golf is not a very exciting sport to watch and this manga is not convincing me it is.

Watch the final day of last year's British Open. The hours-long high quality fight between Stenson and Mickelson was shounen manga as fuck.

Yeah, when they announced the run of new series I was pretty interested in Dr. Stone because of the autheur/artist combo. Started off dumb, but I thought it would get better a few chapters in. Still waiting.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Hi guys, been a while. Eh, got kinda busy irl since persona 5 really taking my time 0¥0.
But uh, going to write some longer impression for some manga i've read

The Private Report on My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness 5

Well, what a ride. Okay, i need to gather my thought first.

Now, this is an autobioraphy manga, so everything seen here are mostly a real life experience of the author. Seeing the author struggle with everyday life due to depression and eating problem is gut wrenching. Author often use analogy or euphemism to illustrate her problem in a way that was interesting and probably make you laugh a bit despite the horrible condition she got herself into. The part where she talk about labia is amusing. 'The quest to find labia'

This is a good motivation manga that really feel genuine. I sincerely wish that the author find her happiness. Maybe in a manga, or maybe in another work. Congratulation to the author for finding her sweet nectar of life.

Madoka Magica - Telepathy (SFW short)

hu7PVhL.png

Madoka Maiden ~ 3 Pages, but still worth a mention because Maitake etc. On balance, the perils of relationship telepathy probably outweigh the benefits, even with a couple as devoted as these two. Homura's last musing isn't worth thinking about, unless you're Harasaki and starved for guro doujin ideas.

Zweizer

Banned
Madoka Magica - Telepathy (SFW short)

hu7PVhL.png

Madoka Maiden ~ 3 Pages, but still worth a mention because Maitake etc. On balance, the perils of relationship telepathy probably outweigh the benefits, even with a couple as devoted as these two. Homura's last musing isn't worth thinking about, unless you're Harasaki and starved for guro doujin ideas.

Maybe she wants to be reborn from within Madoka!

-We needed to see more Yamamoto. Killing him like he did was way not fair. He was the coolest character in the whole series
-More Hitsugaya
-More Grimmjow
-I really needed to see more of that new Ichigo Hollow form.
-More Aizen

Top Bottom