• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Robin should of just cover Trebol's eyes while Usopp shot the grape. All they need to do is "revive" the toy soldiers, then all hell breaks loose.

Considering how everyone keeps underestimating Sugar, I'm betting that the spicy grape will fail to knock her out, even after they succeed to make her eat it.

Cerity

Himedol!!

disappointing really, it had a lot of potential from the beginning but was squandered pretty early on, it still wasn't given a chance to get itself going again either. MC was a good start, entering the school to do something unusual, the progression to the linked classes was a little rushed IMO but it was a nice move. We didn't even see anyone else in the beautician classes that he was taking. Alto was okay at best, the whole delinquent/gang member/ yakuza thing is a little dry at this stage tbh and it was all that was really to her. The other gang boss was a more interesting character IMO.

Shame it got axed, it could have been something great.

scy

Doubt 9 - So the obvious thing here is that Aya is the sister. The drama route is that the actual main girl is the sister. Other girl seems like she's just sort of here currently and childhood friend is here as ... something.

They had a bro hug.

In some eyes, the flag has been set.

Then again, two guys in a manga may be enough to set a flag.

Lain

Flag Time 1-9

I should have started reading this sooner.
I'm not really sure I understand Murakami's thought process, but I guess the teasing works in making the story more... interesting.

Loco4Coco

This made me laugh more than it should.I wonder if they were all translated like this?

Nu0pZK4ckKTE5AyVGfJYOskIKvFdoOOXuUFT6uiXpLXig8JEGRBKAOhuHyMJbSZhnrCuYAiLyFI

wonzo

Banned
The Beauty and the Hambeast

Two incredibly depressed people, one a fat hopeless abused nerd that constantly messes up at work and the other an incredibly beautiful woman that can't help but sleep around to try and fill the hole in her meaningless life, find solace in playing videogames together. This was a great little Oneshot and I'll definitely keep an eye out for any future works from the author.

RaButa 1-10

A nice little 4-koma about the blossoming relationship between a shy girl and a fat & missunderstood delinquent. I don't know if this is actually finished or not, I certainly hope this isn't all there is as it's a pretty abrupt way to end things just when it's starting to get really interesting.

Tetsuwan Girl 71

Oh man

Ohhh maaaaaaaaaan

BASEBALL MATCH WHEN???

Nordicus

Mozuya-san Gyakujousuru 1-3

YES YES YES, this might be the thing I've waited for for years! A series that's centered around treating "Tsundere" like a dangerous and serious personality disorder!

After Mozuya-san gets introduced to her class as tsundere, and the class collectively acts really nice towards her. Unable to deal with this amount of positive attention, she snaps and starts swinging a chair around like mad, stopping all possible friends she could have gotten on her first school day, and probably for the much of her future school life for that matter.

The following day, as a prank by his school mates, the chubby and care-free Kabashima, who was absent yesterday, is fooled to giving Mozuya flowers and offering to carry her luggage. He obviously gets beat up.

Mozuya afterwards says to the whole class that this particular beating was not a case of tsundere affection, but she was genuinely creeped out by his leery smile. She tells the class that her disorder shouldn't be messed around with, then advises everyone to treat her like air, so none of this stuff would occur again.

Except fate isn't so kind...

Embarrassed by a boy saving her from drowning, Mozuya stomps him against the ground, hospitalizing him. Yes, he actually gets seriously hurt.

Now she's more unpopular than ever before, and succumbs to blackmailing the chubby Kabashima so she can have someone to hang around with.

At times there are some Koe no Katachi vibes going on with the bullying even if Mozuya's isolation is partially self-inflicted (she's appropriately uncomfortable with the thought of beating up people she likes, so she keeps people away with deliberate harsh attitude). This manga is occasionally also really funny and light-hearted, and the art is fantastic, as you might've noticed from the Pinhead reference panel.

READ IT, MANGAGAF, IF YOU HAVEN'T! It's an on-going series.

I'm so glad that when this kind of manga finally came up, I could recommend it so openly. So. GLAD!

scy

YES YES YES, this might be the thing I've waited for for years! A series that's centered around treating "Tsundere" like a dangerous and serious personality disorder!

This makes my soul hurt.

tsunderes just want love man.

Now that I think about it I have never actually finished rave master, is it even worth finishing?

Yes! I really liked Rave Master. The story actually gets pretty dark around the end. It end with a happy ending but man there was some sacrifices. I recommend you finish it and let me know how it was for you. Mashima did a good job with the manga.

It was so I could avoid find them!

Fixed that post for you. We don't judge here in GAF... most of the time lol

Also wtf Nordicus? You have found a gem of a manga there. I'll have to give it a read.

She sounds more crazy than a tsundere.

Or maybe everyone in her class isn't made out of steel.

scy

It was so I could avoid them!

I will never recommend NTR.

Yes! I really liked Rave Master. The story actually gets pretty dark around the end. It end with a happy ending but man there was some sacrifices.

Still sad about
Reina
after all of these years.

Oh course they do, even (and especially) Mozuya, but that doesn't make traditional violent tsundere behaviour any less abnormal.

It's mitigated by proper blush lines.

survivor

Banned
Ore Monogatari 6
GarMQwb.jpg

Oh man, finding a girlfriend for Suna that looks like Takeo? This actually might be interesting, not for a comedic purpose, but more to see if Kawahara is willing to go that far to introduce a female main character in a shoujo that is considered ugly by the other characters. Only example I can think of a shoujo/josei doing that is Kuragehime and even then, that was a big stretch. But I really don't expect much to be coming out from this plot point, probably will be dropped soon or just be some more silly drama.

I will never recommend NTR.

Still sad about
Reina
after all of these years.

It's mitigated by proper blush lines.

That hit me hard in the feels. A couple of other things that happened in the manga that also hit me in the feels.
Sieg Hart and Shiba's deaths ;_;

Ajin

This is pretty good. The protagonist seemed rather bland at first but there seems to be more to him. The comment by the creepy ajin with the closed eyes about how the questions about his sister felt like lies and his behaviour in the last few chapters made him appear quite... detached? Maybe he was just playing it cool since he got all worked up as soon as he found out about how to "kill" an ajin. I also loved how they used their immortality so far. First the other dude who cut off his own arm where he was hit by the tranq dart and then Kei cutting off his fingers and use them as a trap. I hope he can keep it up because it has potential.

Yes! I really liked Rave Master. The story actually gets pretty dark around the end. It end with a happy ending but man there was some sacrifices. I recommend you finish it and let me know how it was for you. Mashima did a good job with the manga.

Gerard Prime aka Sieg went out like a fucking boss

snakesalute.jpg

survivor

Banned
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 1-10
lolol, pretty trollish manga about high school manga artist and his crazy friends. I think I prefer the jokes where they just show how silly is the shoujo manga they are working on. Some sort of weird meta commentary on shoujo tropes while this manga in itself follows some of them I guess? It is sorta of a 4koma so I suppose it has some leniency by getting away with them. Not all the jokes work, but I like the absurdity of the concept and the characters.

edit: looks like this manga can crack 200k sales? pretty impressive for something like this, hell that's like already double the sales of Oresama Teacher

kasane

TLs ended when it got fucking interesting, as always

I should stop reading late at night only to find myself like this

:lol

Edit: translations stopped a year ago, there is no hope.

Nooooooooooooo!

Edit 2: cant sleep. Fml

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Those floating heads wonzo keeps using are the worst thing to happen to GAF since feeding cats pizza.

upandaway

Of sanity?

Chari-bro, you're worrying me.
I think I'm ok now. A few years earlier, I would've been wiped out, but Nisio made me build up a small resistance to it.

Considering how everyone keeps underestimating Sugar, I'm betting that the spicy grape will fail to knock her out, even after they succeed to make her eat it.
Yeah, One Piece missions are rarely this kind of "objective based" anyway. It will probably all devolve into a basic powerlevel match in the chaos.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The Beauty and the Hambeast

Two incredibly depressed people, one a fat hopeless abused nerd that constantly messes up at work and the other an incredibly beautiful woman that can't help but sleep around to try and fill the hole in her meaningless life, find solace in playing videogames together. This was a great little Oneshot and I'll definitely keep an eye out for any future works from the author.

RaButa 1-10

A nice little 4-koma about the blossoming relationship between a shy girl and a fat & missunderstood delinquent. I don't know if this is actually finished or not, I certainly hope this isn't all there is as it's a pretty abrupt way to end things just when it's starting to get really interesting.

Thank you so much for pointing me to these two. Very good read, especially the 1st one.

wonzo

Banned

I read the first chapter a while ago but was turned off by the wordiness + how stilted the translation came off but I'm glad I gave it a second chance as it's all starting to come together. Now I hope I don't have to wait months for the next chapter. :(

Hatarakanai Futari 17 END?

Looks like this got picked up by a website and is getting "redrawn" as a weekly series so I guess that's the end for this version. Hopefully they'll start to translate the serialized one soon.

should have used you mad cam, wonzo smh
naw that post aint even umad worthy
manny.png

Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt 2

Art is good, classic. Badass Zaku sniper with Star Fox legs. I fear the music gimmick is going to be shoved down the readers' throats for whatever reason though.

Just like Chad, right?

Chad is a whiny bitch. Tatsuki would have gotten shit done but Kubo doesn't even care about Orihime so whatever.

DarkMehm

Beelzebub END
Even though it was rushed I got sentimental at the end. This was one my first five or so Manga that I started to read almost three years ago, so it is sad to see it end.

scy

I'm glad that was to the point and didn't drag at all. Thanks to survivor for recommending it.

Man, I should've made a flashier post when I brought it up.

As otherwise mentioned, 14-sai no Koi is good for the similar feels, though it's dragged out a bit since it's still on-going. Lonely Wolf, Lonely Sheep is a little bit more drama'd up (because yuri, I guess) but still has the same spirit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom