• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Inuyashiki

A new series by Oku, hopefully it's better than Gantz.
Reminds me a bit of Breaking Bad, a family man that's ill, learns he has cancer, but instead of starting a Meth Lab... aliens happen. Huh...

Also, a manga author named Oda. Hmmm, I'm sure that's not referring to anyone in real life.

Kurita

Mob Psycho wouldn't be the same with Murata's art, it's better with ONE's.

This is coming from me.
Kurita.
Your friend.
The Murata fanboy.

We need a decent sized run hockey manga. Hypukyuuhime could be that. I thought 11 blah blah alot of Japanese words was going to be a breakout hit. Japanese are allergic to rugby manga, Hello!! Was recently cancelled after two volumes. Figure skating needs another decent sized manga, Jump SQ was not the place for it. Cant believe we dont have one. Must complete my sports manga obsession.

survivor

Banned
Vertical's doing some license suggestion thing next week. You can find what publishers apply and the max. number of volumes through bumming through their tumblr history. ヽ(´ー`)ノ

Hmm gonna suggest these manga even though they have no chance of being picked

3 am Dangerous Zone
Sayonara, Tama-chan
Hikidashi ni Terarrium by Kui Ryoko
High Score Girl (I think this one is off their hands, not sure if Yen Press has exclusive licensing rights to SE titles)

Kurita

I want a new basketball manga like slamdunk

We need more soccer

We need a new tennis manga aside from baby steps
Do you read Ahiru no Sora? It's a pretty great basket-ball manga, way better than Kuroko's Basket imo.
It's no Slam Dunk but I like it.

Vertical's doing some license suggestion thing next week. You can find what publishers apply and the max. number of volumes through bumming through their tumblr history. ヽ(´ー`)ノ

agreed

2012 (9) - GTO 14 Days in Shonan, GTO The Early Years, Sakuran, Flowers of Evil, 5 Cm Per Second, Heroman, LIMIT, Paradise Kiss, Message to Adolf,
2013 (11) - Knights of Sidonia, Gundam the ORIGIN, Utsubora, Helter Skelter, Twin Knights, Wolfsmund, Tropic of the Sea, Sickness Unto Death, PINK, Summer Wars, From the New World
2014 (9) - Insufficient Direction, What Did You Eat Yesterday?, Cardfight!! Vanguard, In Clothes Called Fat, AJIN, Witchcraft Works, The Garden of Words, Prophecy, My Neighbor Seki

They get one manga from me each year, 2014 has too if I add What Did You Eat Yesterday, which I preordered but mainly more excited for cfvanguard.

Ill probably do my typical suggestions
Neon Dimension Ascension
Diorama Toy Box
Jesus x Dogs

Mayo Chiki! 1-28

29-30

Huh.

31-38 (END)

I think I can primarily pin my general apathy towards this manga on the fact that Subaru was a really, really terrible heroine. It had its fair share of problems, but she was the most prevalent. Will delete this from my memory as soon as I've clicked 'Submit Reply'.

Solune

Hmm gonna suggest these manga even though they have no chance of being picked

3 am Dangerous Zone
Sayonara, Tama-chan
Hikidashi ni Terarrium by Kui Ryoko
High Score Girl (I think this one is off their hands, not sure if Yen Press has exclusive licensing rights to SE titles)
I was in a rush during my break but Vertical has published Heroman and Toward the Terra which are both published by SEjp. So perhaps HSG could be acquired, personally if that's possible I'd want to get Akame ga Kill too.

Most of their titles are predominantly Kodansha titles but not limited to. One of them was Shogakukan so I was even thinking of TWGOK. But that may even have been a one off. Punpun is Shogakukan too...
I still read New Prince of Tennis.

I'm half expecting them to start piloting Gundams soon.

Or bring about a 2nd Ice Age.

Or WW4.

Charade

So I just recently found out about Murata's livestream and its pretty neat. It's amazing to see how much work goes into it (though I should have realized given his quality).

Edit: Just saw him lifting weights and doing pushups in the background of one of his past broadcasts. Guy knows how to stay in shape.

One Piece 738

...anyone else really bored by the dwarves? I like the other Dressrosa stuff but for whatever reason I feel no investment in their subplot. :/

Oda's really been struggling with the arcs' mid-sections since the timeskip.

Toriko

Been catching up with this lately and it's super fun. The Bubble Fruit arc was crazy.

Cerity

Kyuusen no Shima 1
9GL12ZJ.png

creepy vibes right off the bat. The "fanservice" is quite funny, in the odd way.

survivor

Banned
I was in a rush during my break but Vertical has published Heroman and Toward the Terra which are both published by SEjp. So perhaps HSG could be acquired, personally if that's possible I'd want to get Akame ga Kill too.

Most of their titles are predominantly Kodansha titles but not limited to. One of them was Shogakukan so I was even thinking of TWGOK. But that may even have been a one off. Punpun is Shogakukan too...

Yeah they can't do Shogakukan titles anymore, it's Viz only. Also mentioning Toward the Terra reminded me of something, Vertical was forced to make the manga go out of print since the manga author, Keiko Takemiya has terminated her contract with the publisher.

Looks like HSG dream might be alive. Actually with it getting an anime it might be even a bigger possibility seeing how publishers these days are going after titles with an anime on the line.

Nordicus

Natsunokumo 1-20

After reading that tsundere manga, I checked whether the author had anything else translated and then there was this. It's one of those manga series set inside a Virtual reality MMO with some harsh permadeath mechanics. Not "you die in real life", but "if you log out while you're in your 2-minute Game Over screen, your character gets erased". This rule makes it so it's basically possible to assassinate a character by killing them over and over until they ragequit.

And THAT is our main character's latest job. Coil (a.k.a. Torque, his downright broken-tier alt) finished his mission in order to bust this one NEET's addiction, but a few details leave him very hollow afterwards.

The manga honestly starts out being rather rough, confusing and tiring. I had rather hard time really understanding who's who, what their relationships are, and what just happened in the fight scene. The manga is also very wordy, and at the beginning a lot of things said are rather meaningless, but the things done are very important. However, after Coil goes on his bodyguard mission, it gets much better as we finally start forming a main cast.

The wordiness actually sort of works for the series later because we get some solid character development, and although there are funny and cute moments here and there, the general feel is mostly a bit somber and the themes of therapy and family pop up again and again.

Mikao, a motorcycling tough-ass granny with fluffy ears, grew on me rather surprisingly throughout the series

The emphasis on family, the frequently calm tone and art style make me wonder a bit if Kaoru Mori was one of this mangaka's big influences
ZxeAcj8.jpg

Just try and tell me you couldn't imagine Kaoru Mori drawing something like this

It was worth toughing out the early chapters for me. Whatever addicts, PKers, hackers
(and RL serial killers)
there are in this universe, it is really heartwarming to see online relationships viewed from such a generally positive and beneficial angle.

Shame it's only translated halfway

survivor

Banned
Kabu no Isaki vol 2
Potential love interest finally introduced? I actually do hope Ashinano will push toward that instead of just hints and suggestions and failed attempts by Sayori, but dunno it doesn't feel like this is something he wants to push for. Some really good scenery shots as expected. I do find it a bit wordy though which isn't a bad thing as it's not filled with dialogues everywhere, but I just want more characters staring into the distance rather than interacting with each other lol

Natsunokumo 1-20
Looks like a pretty interesting take on MMO storytelling, will add to the list.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun 14

This page just killed me. Fuck, this manga is funnier than I expected it to be.

and looks like there is a gap between chapter 19 and 22, might as well stop reading it for now and not rush through it.

There a swathes of missing chapters due to lack of scans, but it looks like the translation group is starting to fill it in. Doesn't really matter anyway as each chapter is mostly standalone.

Natsunokumo 1-20

Man, Natsunukomo! I never finished. Maybe some day...
It's a more serious, seinen version of a MMO story. Pretty psychological.

The emphasis on family, the frequently calm tone and art style make me wonder a bit if Kaoru Mori was one of this mangaka's big influences

It's from 2004, I don't think Kaoro Mori was that known around then...

Wondering if someone can lend some assistance. I am trying to buy the Gunsmith Cats manga and just wondered which version to buy. I see a few different versions, including a omnibus and a version called burst. Anyone a fan of the series that can lend a hand?

wonzo

Banned
Wondering if someone can lend some assistance. I am trying to buy the Gunsmith Cats manga and just wondered which version to buy. I see a few different versions, including a omnibus and a version called burst. Anyone a fan of the series that can lend a hand?
The revised/omnibus editions are the one you want and I think Burst is a sequel/spinoff series.

Not sure if I talked about the first two volumes, but let it be known that I think this is a quite nice shojo.

From the premise it's apparent that the story is more or less a take on the ugly duckling. Our protagonist Mairu is a sloppy girl with big glasses that consider, and is considered by everyone, ugly. Her life is hell, with schoolmates playing pretty mean jokes on her.
She starts off with a defeatist/victim attitude, but also thanks to the help of the pretty guy Tenyu she starts changing herself around, shedding her ugly duckling skin.

Now, given the cliché in the genre, I expected Mairu to fall in love with Tenyu, instead she's fallen for Narutaro, a guy from another school she met at one of those blind get together and by volume 3 they got together and even kissed.
Volume 3 has them going to a themepark as part of a double date with Tenyu and Ayano (the bad girl of the story), which highlights Narutaro jealousy toward how close Mairu and Tenyu are as friends, and Mairu going so far as to cut her relationship completely with Tenyu because, as she puts it, Naru now is the most important thing in her life and she doesn't want to lose him.

I didn't really like these turn of events, since I don't believe in cutting friendships for those reasons, but with 5 more volumes to go there is plenty of time for things to change.

Urrg hate that kind of drama but I still read it. ;_;

Game Over

Shoutacon manga? Hell yeah! Very sweet and nicely done. Not too long and ended on a good note. Could have used more pages to show the wedding though lol.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Kuro

Really liked this, actually. The lovecraftian aspects of the story were wrapped around really well with the cute girl with cute cat story. Great art too. Love how some aspects of the girl's circumstances are revealed.

Akito

This is pretty old news but I'm not sure if it's been posted here before.

007.gif

Full Metal Alchemist and Silver Spoon author Hiromu Arakawa keeps pumping out the hits--and babies as well, it would seem. She announced on the Shogakukan Web Sunday blog that her third child was just born and that its in-utero entertainment was Pacific Rim. You can never start training 'em early enough.
Source: Sunday website via the Amiami blog.

She's so amazing. It also explains the recent breaks.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
all these kids reading gekkan shoujo nozaki-kun :')

Kuro 1?
It was only a page long, but it featured the best girl so I was happy.

^edit: I thought everyone knew she was pregnant and that's what was delaying everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom