• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I am okay with this.

Seo best character, Raccoons best gag.
I am also okay with this. I'm glad we've reached a mutual agreement without bloodshed.

Real Account 2
That was actually pretty touching. And as for the sister thing, it might just be one of those doppelganger people you run into every now and then, because she's been confirmed to be on the outside so far. Unless there's a way to join the game after the fact.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I am okay with this.

Seo best character, Raccoons best gag.

The best gag is nozaki using his male friends to model female manga characters and vice versa.

I'm always in stitches when I see seo's and waka's manga counterparts.

wonzo

Banned
Donyatsu 36
donyatsu36.png

pacific donut

This robot's totally gonna pull a Chamber by the end of this. rip robosaki ;_;7

Tetsuwan Girl 72

Fuck yeah, Tome putting those misogynist thugs back into their place!

Immortal Hounds 6

Thing's are starting to get real interesting with this mystery organisation slowly being revealed.

Bokura no Hentai 18

I'm glad she figured it out pretty quickly, hopefully she'll ask him about in the next chapter or so.

Kingdom 331-332

The power of grand speeches knows no mortal bounds!

Real Account 2

I cant really see what the benefit of following other people in the game, Though its really an intense story still especially with that life message thrown in, people still always decide things based on their personal feelings so it was kind of unfair people would do that to her, and to the same extent to him as well, hes a nice normal everyday guy thats fairly good looking, how could one unfollow him.

scy

I am also okay with this. I'm glad we've reached a mutual agreement without bloodshed.

Agreed.

Real Account 2
That was actually pretty touching. And as for the sister thing, it might just be one of those doppelganger people you run into every now and then, because she's been confirmed to be on the outside so far. Unless there's a way to join the game after the fact.

I'm entertained too much by the fact her number is 404.

The best gag is nozaki using his male friends to model female manga characters and vice versa.

This, basically.

Indeed at both points

Still it was nice seeing a story reaching a particular goal and end in such a small amount of chapters without feeling too rushed (at least imo).

Which is weird if you think about it. There's like ... suddenly several years passed multiple times.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member

Actually the gags about dating sims are great too. Now it's getting difficult to choose.

08:05 no Hengao-san 1
Really short and fast paced one shot about two kids who pass each other on the way to school.

edit:
I'm entertained too much by the fact her number is 404.
Aw shit I missed that. its a glitch in the matrix yo

Senyuu 2 60.5

MvXvtURl.jpg

Uwa-ah~

Senyuu 2 61

hWH3nnkl.jpg

Mother knows best~

Chapter 2 of Senyuu was pretty entertaining. Definitely had a lot of fun reading it!

survivor

Banned
ReCollection 1-3
The good thing about Takano Ichigo based on the 2 stories I read so far is that she likes to mix fantasy elements with her traditional shoujo storytelling. It's not anything revolutionary, but it mixes it up a bit and adds some mystery elements along with the regular shoujo silly drama. This one is no Orange with its time travel alternate timeline thingy, but it's more standard amnesia stricken protagonist being chased by a god or well by something going by chapter 3. The main couple, or at least what I think the main couple is gonna be, is pretty weird considering the age gap and the implications of a teacher-student relationship. Here is a hoping the MC would go with the other teacher instead.

On another note, I was looking at Orange and I noticed it actually changed publishers from Shueisha to Futabasha which is really interesting. We know Takano quit Orange due to some conflict with working under Betsuma which even made her want to stop being part of the manga industry all together. However she was working with Betsuma for at least 5+ years before starting Orange. Perhaps it was an issue with a new editor that made her quit? Oh well, either way glad she is back to writing manga.

Room Share 1

The volume has an actually good design to it, kind of would want to own if it were available here, actually it could be since it features at least older characters. Perhaps one will look into it. It features one of my favorite themes of roommates in love and the first story is a fairly pleasant one with the longing for the company of one another.

Soma

Blame!

Phew. That was quite the read.

I've been a big fan of Tsutomu Nihei's art for a long time but I've never actually finished reading this one despite having the first volume since my high school years. Those familiar with him are probably aware that his stuff is usually not the easiest to read because the layouts and story-boarding are so damn obtuse to the point of confusion at times. I think it got better as the story went on though, but shit like multiple realities and plot threads that didn't really seem go anywhere can be frustrating. A lot of it feels like you just gotta roll with it, which I did and ended up enjoying it. Thankfully there's plenty of chapters that have little to no dialogue and leaves the reader able to soak in the heavy atmosphere and enjoy the good art.

There's a lot of interesting ideas and concepts present in the setting that Tsutomu has created here. It really is a masterful showcase of beautifully dystopic architecture and unsettling creature design. The sense of scale from the environments is insane, even overwhelming at times such as Killy walking into an empty room roughly the size of Jupiter for example. The universe created here is something to behold but it would've been nice to have had some more direct information given to events that have passed. The ongoing plot in itself is really vague (he's searching for Net Terminal Genes which somehow allows people access to the Netsphere which is important for... some ...reason?) but it at least does a fantastic job at portraying how soul-crushingly lonely Killy's lengthy journey is.

I think I probably still like Abara a little better which might have benefited from having less chapters. Still need to check out Biomega and NOiSE though. As far as cyberpunk manga go, I think this is definitely a worthy read despite being tough to grasp at times. The art and heavy atmosphere make it worth looking into.

survivor

Banned
Blame!

Phew. That was quite the read.

I've been a big fan of Tsutomu Nihei's art for a long time but I've never actually finished reading this one despite having the first volume since my high school years. Those familiar with him are probably aware that his stuff is usually not the easiest to read because the layouts and story-boarding are so damn obtuse to the point of confusion at times. I think it got better as the story went on though, but shit like multiple realities and plot threads that didn't really seem go anywhere can be frustrating. A lot of it feels like you just gotta roll with it, which I did and ended up enjoying it. Thankfully there's plenty of chapters that have little to no dialogue and leaves the reader able to soak in the heavy atmosphere and enjoy the good art.

What exactly was there to read? :p
I remember being able to blast through each volume of Blame in a little under 10 minutes. Very quick read.

There's a lot of interesting ideas and concepts present in the setting that Tsutomu has created here. It really is a masterful showcase of beautifully dystopic architecture and unsettling creature design. The sense of scale from the environments is insane, even overwhelming at times such as Killy walking into an empty room roughly the size of Jupiter for example. The universe created here is something to behold but it would've been nice to have had some more direct information given to events that have passed. The ongoing plot in itself is really vague (he's searching for Net Terminal Genes which somehow allows people access to the Netsphere which is important for... some ...reason?) but it at least does a fantastic job at portraying how soul-crushingly lonely Killy's lengthy journey is.
Nihei's environmental art, architectural design and just overall cyberpunk feeling in his world is top notch. Not to mention his action fasts are very fast, well paced and aren't plagued by dialogues that bog down the action. As you mentioned, the narrative aspect of the story is very lacking. There is a point to minimalist storytelling that it's just vague incomprehensible nonsense and not some good stylistic choice. However he nailed down the atmosphere and the general feelings of loneliness as you said.

I think I probably still like Abara a little better which might have benefited from having less chapters. Still need to check out Biomega and NOiSE though. As far as cyberpunk manga go, I think this is definitely a worthy read despite being tough to grasp at times. The art and heavy atmosphere make it worth looking into.
Abara was pretty awesome for some great designs for the main character and it was pretty short and to the point. Though I still think I was confused by the ending.

Room Share 01

b5VcHAl.jpg

Two guys are roommates so yes, they start going at it.

Well not so much in the first chapter. I guess it's your typical roommates antics until person starts going into the other's room and sniffing the sheets.

Aizo

Banned

I believe I wrote up a rec for Biomega a few OTs ago. I liked it more than Blame!, personally. If I recall correctly, it has a bear with a mechanical hand riding on the back of a motorcycle at one point. It has more of a solid narrative, and I think it gains a lot from that. I still haven't read Knights of Sidonia. There is so much I'm putting off just because I don't want more to read that's unfinished.

The only reason I haven't caught up with Kingdom is that I don't want to have another manga on my list that I'll be reading for the next 10+ years. I just can't give a comic that kind of commitment.

Soma

What exactly was there to read? :p
I remember being able to blast through each volume of Blame in a little under 10 minutes. Very quick read.

Haha. I think a lot of was me going back certain pages to try to make sense of certain events. That and staring at a lot of the panels for long periods of time. With a setting like that, it's easy for me to feel pulled in so much that it feels almost exhaustive after reading it (in a good way).

Oh I remember seeing that.

Now that's why the summary was sounding familiar cause I read it when the rumors for an anime were first up.

Ooku Chakapon! 01-02

Japan is still closed off and the Shogun still has his harem. Of course now they are less prime and proper and more like rude and kinda lewd high school girls.

Amusing. It's pretty much girls do silly things while dressed in kimonos.

QeCcyJm.png

D-Frag! 40-42

Best girl vs Best wife.

Truly a fearsome match to behold.

Pretty funny how they already see each other as the biggest threats.

And I would never step foot in a restaurant with Pukey as the waitress.

That's just asking for an undesired outcome.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Its awfully weird that the scanlated version of UQ Holder 23 is censored to show only a shadow/blackened version of the last panel but the official Crunchyroll version isn't.

Conan-san

Real Account 2
And again with the ham fisted social commentary about social networks and the poorly explained death game mechanics (Yeah, noting Unfortunates could Follow other Unfortunates could have done your story some good) and the sister being there so she can get dead and guy can batman (or more likely shinji). Yeah, we at that point where the plane is spiralling down and we can't pull up. Best To Eject.

Dynedom

Breaker: New Waves

Delayed the fight with megane-kun but there was some Seira in this chapter so win.

God of High School

Woo, Mi-Ra! Proving to be better than Naruto's Sakura

Kuroko no Basuke

I'm loving how slow this comeback is building up. People might hate it but they spent so long knocking Seirin down that the rebuild should be just as organic. Wondering if each person is going to have to win their respective match-up before we get the finish. Can't wait for what they do with Hyuuga. He's had the most interesting matchup thus far.

Cerity

Kyuusen no Shima 2-9

uhh... what? Any possible creepy-ness and mystery just turned to flat out weird (and bad).

Also if anyone is looking for some typesetting done within the upcoming weekend, let me know, I've done a little before, but I am pretty familiar with photoshop. In the mood for that kind of work.

wonzo

Banned
Blame!

I've been meaning to start Knights of Sidonia for a long ass time now but I've always put it to the side as I've always been meaning to read Tsutomu Nihei's other works first. Seeing NeoSoma bring this up reminded me that I really should check this out and after a few hours I'm glad I certainly did. I still don't really "get" it and it was hard to work out just what was going on at times due to the hyper detailed art but something about Killy and Cibo wandering around these seemingly endless technological megastructures just drags you in in a way nothing else I've ever read/watched/etc has. Truly stunning stuff.

Now I just need to read the prequel & spin off things and Biomega!

Kuroko no Basuke

I'm loving how slow this comeback is building up. People might hate it but they spent so long knocking Seirin down that the rebuild should be just as organic. Wondering if each person is going to have to win their respective match-up before we get the finish. Can't wait for what they do with Hyuuga. He's had the most interesting matchup thus far.

My problem with it is that it's been done before in Slam Dunk. Kind of pisses me off actually.

duckroll

Silver Spoon - Winter Arc

Caught up on the entire Winter arc yesterday. I really, really enjoyed it. The developments felt really natural for the characters and at the same time it feels like things are progressing instead of stagnating. The relationship between Mikage and Hachiken is pretty satisfying to me because it's not just about two people who care about one another, but two people who are figuring out what they want out of life and how to achieve that.

When Hachiken's mother finally visited the school, I felt that was a real watershed moment for the development of his character. Instead of his family just being a narrative plot point for him to bounce against, it's clear that they were always a part of his life, in a way which he might not have known himself because of the lack of understanding between him and his parents. That seems to have progressed now to a stage where he recognizes that not letting his parents understand him was no different from how he felt that they didn't want to understand him.

I look forward to seeing how the series progresses on the "business" story point, because it does feel like everything Hachiken has ever done in the series and all he learned since he joined the school is leading towards that. It's really refreshing to read a coming of age story where it's not just about the main character having goals and trying to achieve them, but also about the character figuring out what he really wants and trying to define that first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom