• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumbyugi

Noragami 1-18

Decided to read this today and it turns out that I had already read the first 2 chapters a while back. It's actually a lot better than I thought it was going to be. I mean it's got a fairly predicatable plot but the art is nice and the characters are pretty fun. Yukine is probably the worst character, little shit needs a good beating. I might check out the anime at some stage.

Noragami 1-18

Decided to read this today and it turns out that I had already read the first 2 chapters a while back. It's actually a lot better than I thought it was going to be. I mean it's got a fairly predicatable plot but the art is nice and the characters are pretty fun. Yukine is probably the worst character, little shit needs a good beating. I might check out the anime at some stage.

The anime is really well done.

BONES best show of the season.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
i finished it

best girl didnt win

...there was more than one? There were a bunch of one-off characters, but I don't remember any girls other than alcoholic chick and the loli tsundere.

I thought the art for chapter 1 of Myballz looked familiar so I checked and....

The author of Yuricam did it huh.

.....Well a couple more chapters won't hurt.

Soma 9

Yeah idk how there's even a contest here.

neHiRse.png

so good.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Noragami 1-18

He pretty much got a beating with the whole cleansing stuff.

Akito

Sentou Hakai Gakuen Dangerous v2
Have you ever thought of wanting something that's like a combination of Medaka Box and Akame ga Kill? Well here you have it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
yeah no

shes the worst girl by far

I see we're enemies now grimace
also likes older men. What a slut

Its a series about orgasmfood. No shit she likes the dad's food. It doesn't mean she's like full-on Asuna from Negima.

BTW, Asuna was the best girl in Negima, deal with it.

[/runs]

Scum

What th-?! We have SmutGAF members who haven't flicked through My Balls? Hand in your Smut Badge at the door, lads.

LeleSocho

Banned
Tsundere ojou-sama #2095643
Best girl

pick one. And i fucking love tsunderes.

Tetsuwan Girl 79-83
Please don't end with them both dying. Please don't end with them both dying. Please don't end with them both dying. Please don't end with them both dying.

Koe no Katachi 27
The little sister is talking with him in private... why the hell doesn't she tell him that her sister loves him? Specially after all this stuff that happened.

Also someone followed me on twitter, i don't know who you are but be ready to read how life sucks because i'm sick for a loooong time. No hard feelings if you unfollow me.

wonzo

Banned
Copernicus' Breath aka Copernicus no Kokyuu

A problem I've always had with yaoi manga, in addition to the bad art and weirdly proportioned hands, is its propensity for romanticising what we would otherwise identify as sexual assault. One character forces themselves on another, and the second comes to see their experience not as traumatic but as indicative of deeper sexual attraction and even love - not "he must've wanted it," but "I must've wanted it." The fact that it is typically written by what I presume are straight women makes it all come off like a weird combination of published rape fantasy and fetishization of gay men.

Copernicus no Kokyuu, a yaoi manga about a very sad clown living in a very sad circus, had been tabbed in my mental browser for a while, and for what I would discover to be valid reasons: it immediately and bluntly dismantled two of my objections, and made the third irrelevant. Firstly, while the comic features sexual aggression and fucked-up relations from the
incestuous
coercion end of the spectrum all the way up to assault, from verbal to physical abuse, it takes them all -completely- seriously and never trivializes any of it.
In fact, it is so serious and grim that at times it borders on being an insufferable misery party. (Then again, we already knew from Midori that circuses promise nothing but a life of inescapable tragedy. I find it sickly amusing that these works link back to each other on MU's database.)

The writing is generally decent and the characters even somewhat nuanced in all their sadly sad sadness, but it is the second and strongest feature on display that makes the story gripping and actively difficult to drop. The art is wild, frequently experimental, and nearly always beautiful, ranging from something like this:

to less abstract but equally bold black & white character artwork:

Funnily enough, the graphic sex scenes - and, fair warning to the squeamish, this comic is very much NSFW - are also easily the least interesting thing to look at, perhaps as a consequence of being the easiest bits to figure out exactly what is happening in the picture. They certainly serve the narrative functions I've described above - along with the presence of a few legitimate, non-abusive scenes of lovemaking I feel I should note in fairness to the mangaka - but in this sense I can't help but feel they're also a tad exploitative. It's a perhaps small reason why I'm hesitant to call this a favorite, although the other positives mostly overwhelm it, me being the fan of horror and horrifying tales that I am.

Oh, and the people are still weirdly proportioned, but why complain with such sumptuous and dynamic art? It has certainly and easily succeeded in interesting me in the rest of Nakamura Asumiko's work.

The biggest issue I've had with p. much every Yaoi manga I've tried to read is how fetishised rape is so I'm definitely gonna checking this out.

e: that is if i can get it, fucking yaoi groups

Going through Genkaku Picasso right now and the alternate world art is so god damn insane and immersive. Usamaru Furuya is so good.
Yeah it's pretty amazing. Thanks for reminding me to check out The Music of Marie.

Magi 216

hmm gee i wonder if magi is solomon and sheba's kid? such mystery. honestly though I'm curious where the al-tharmen leader comes from. really promising arc. too bad that garbage magician's school arc exists or this would easily be my top manga.

also read like 10 chapters of My Balls and thought it was funny. then i learned who won and was like nope.

survivor

Banned
Genkaku Picasso vol 1-3 End
Was really impressed by the bizarre and crazy art for the other world's segments. They were really detailed and clash heavily with the regular style used during the school days, Usamaru did some good work here especially with drawing parallels between the images inside of the characters minds and reality. On the other hand, the writing was too basic. It did pull a very emotional ending, the last 3 chapters being very strong, but most of the conflicts ended up with a weak resolution while some were just too contrived and silly. Still it was a great experience and very creative manga.

Today I've discovered Shou Higashiyama's works, read his Prism manga, and was told there was few chance for it to come back from hiatus.
How I feel is complex, even if mostly delighted.

9kOUYAF.jpg

I positively love the way he build the composition of his panels. Delicious.

Akito

Today I've discovered Shou Higashiyama's works, read his Prism manga, and was told there was few chance for it to come back from hiatus.
How I feel is complex, even is mostly delighted.

9kOUYAF.jpg

I positively love the way he build the composition of his panels. Delicious.
He has a new yuri manga.

So much smut but not enough time to read them all. :(

On another note, FUCK Onix in Pokemon X. Fucker is impossible to catch even at 1 HP left.

He has a new yuri manga.

So i've hear but I still have to read it. Still, josei slice-of-life will probably feel... less intense/cute/funny/innocently hot ?

(he or she btw ?)

(I swear I haven't been that much impressed by a manga artist since YKK, or Atsushi Kamijo, or both, and tracing more-than-suspicions been damned)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom