• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani_dc

Suzuka 151-167

Shit ending, that's all.

No seriously, the last chapters of the manga, basically since the timeskip have been useless. Waste chapters introducing a new girl just to be kicked away in 4 chapters? check. Haruna comeback just to say she has a new boyfriend and managed to get away from the grasp of that idiot? check. The best thing is that Suzuka comes back and in a few chapters to end together in just a few, no development altogether, the chapter the couple starts over again is such a display of shit writing that I don't even know how to start.

And then the whole ackward moment when she says is pregnant (3 months pregnant and she really didn't noticed?...like not even suspect it?) and then all goes to shit. TBH I'm not that hard on Yamato's decision to keep the baby, as the father he has the right to take part on such a key discussion. He wants the baby, which makes him an hypocrite, but is Suzuka who also decides to keep the baby. So both are hypocrital idiots, so both are actually made for each other.

Is a shame, so many fucked up lives for a baby that gets hit by a truck 15 years later.

Suzuka and Yamato did sit down and discuss their issues, so I think it's unfair to say there was no development, for them that's a big step.

That last line made me laugh.

Suzuka and Yamato did sit down and discuss their issues, so I think it's unfair to say there was no development, for them that's a big step.

That last line made me laugh.

Yeah, that was a good one, because Yamato, somehow, managed to put most of the fault in Suzuka shoulders, when he was an utterly shit boyfriend.

dani_dc

Yeah, that was a good one, because Yamato, somehow, managed to put most of the fault in Suzuka shoulders, when he was an utterly shit boyfriend.
Yamato was an awful boyfriend and I can't blame anyone for dumping him, but communication is a base part of a relationship, and Suzuka would have none of that. If anything Suzuka did grow as a character (in part due to that chat) while Yamato kept being the same moron as always. But I think its unfair to say that there was no development whatsoever.

Usobuko

Banned
Yume Nikki Chapter 1-10

Having read Battle Royale 2, I would say I am not a fan of the artist. I would attribute to it being incompatible with the series rather than a case of atrociously bad artstyle without any redeeming feature. I find his artstyle moret suitable for Yume Nikki and he clearly outdone himself compared to BR2. Some pictures of the landscape drawn were pretty immersive. In the manga of Yume Nikki, you follow a girl who appears to be haunted by a persistent nightmare with only a mean of escaping the trauma by pinching her cheek. It was easy to follow the story in the beginning until things get more abstract and surrealistic. Gradually, it revealed to be a dream-like therapy for juvenile offenders. I don't know if this is an adequate adaptation of the game, I do wish for a more fleshed out story, in particular with depicting the lucid dream.

volgihn

Suzuka 151-End

What a waste of time. Throughout the whole manga high jump is everything to Suzuka. her character was terrible but atleast she was passionate about high jump. This manga talks about track and field more than half of the time and you mean to tell me that in the end all of their efforts went to waste because Yamato didn't wear a condom? Suzukas dad is so beta. He forgives Yamato for taking her to a hotel and for getting her pregnant in like a week in total. I would post how I really feel but I don't want to get banned. Good riddance. I'm glad I don't have to read this anymore.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
hmmmm

I'm down with this.

also whats the format of response here ( for each work as it's completed and/or a combination after reading everything)

Just post impressions when you finish or feel like it. This club is meant more for finding short works that people can read more casusally compared to the longer marathon reads.

Also thanks for the putting it in the OP dramatis.

360pages

Yume Nikki Chapter 1-10

Having read Battle Royale 2, I would say I am not a fan of the artist. I would attribute to it being incompatible with the series rather than a case of atrociously bad artstyle without any redeeming feature. I find his artstyle moret suitable for Yume Nikki and he clearly outdone himself compared to BR2. Some pictures of the landscape drawn were pretty immersive. In the manga of Yume Nikki, you follow a girl who appears to be haunted by a persistent nightmare with only a mean of escaping the trauma by pinching her cheek. It was easy to follow the story in the beginning until things get more abstract and surrealistic. Gradually, it revealed to be a dream-like therapy for juvenile offenders. I don't know if this is an adequate adaptation of the game, I do wish for a more fleshed out story, in particular with depicting the lucid dream.

It wouldn't be so bad, if the character had a mouth...or opened her eyes. I just don't know, it seems really weird. Though it fits Yume Nikki more than something like Battle Royal.

Usobuko

Banned
It wouldn't be so bad, if the character had a mouth...or opened her eyes. I just don't know, it seems really weird. Though it fits Yume Nikki more than something like Battle Royal.

I don't know but it appears in the game her eyes were always closed?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Time to gorge myself upon manga. Its the only day of the week where I can go nuts on it! Might finish 3 or 4 manga in my backlog and finally read Gonensei.

Zweizer

Banned
Yume Nikki Chapter 1-10

I don't know if this is an adequate adaptation of the game, I do wish for a more fleshed out story, in particular with depicting the lucid dream.

Well, since the game has no story or text whatsover it's basically the writer's interpretation of the various events occuring in-game. I agree that the story gets rather weird halfway through, but the various sceneries were gorgeous.

I don't know but it appears in the game her eyes were always closed?

Yep, that's what her sprite looks like in-game:
mPlaVt0.png

The artist replicated the designs of the characters pretty fraithfully.

She wants to fuck him...

Or have him fuck someone else...

In order to conceive a baby...

So that have her soul can occupy said baby...

Just because she doesn't like her body having a scar...

Do I have that right?

I think I have that right.

Zweizer

Banned
PositioN by Ashinano Hitoshi

A short, quirky work that mixes contemporary slice of life with surreal happenings, demonstrating that it only takes a slight change of perspective to view things very differently. The lack of proper introduction and conclusion is rather disorienting though.

Doubt by Dowman Sayman

Already read this one, but it's a pretty cute story nevertheless which manages to be classic Dowman Sayman with the usual blend of philosophical themes and casual weirdness, yet is a relatively benign and accessible short to those unfamiliar with the author.

Yume Nikki by Kikiyama, Machigerita & Tomizawa Hitoshi

Yume Nikki is one of my favorite games due to its rather unique setting and surreal atmosphere, with the player exploring mind-melting landscapes and encountering bizarre events, some of which grant you effects, all the while without any text or story. The manga manages to nail the sceneries and atmosphere amazingly well, and remains pretty close to the game for its first half (save for the rather chatty reimagination of Madotsuki), while the latter half gets much weirder, it's still a rather original take on the game and ultimately I'd say it's a rather good adaptation, notably for its art.

Wife & Wife by Minamoto Hisanari

Cute lesbian couple being cute. I've already read it but it's still pretty enjoyable to go through it again. There's not much development or particularily interesting themes, but it manages to deliver what it advertises, which is a yuri story filled with sweet and fluffy moments.

Zansho by Kitoh Mohiro

Melancholic, funny, tragic, sweet, heartwarming. A nice array of stories with various settings, some romantic, some more philosophical, all with their various twists. Kind of suffers from the "same face" syndrome for most girls, but the cars and motorcycles are pretty well-drawn. A great collection.

Guess who selected them?:
PositioN: Akito
Doubt: striferser
Yume Nikki:
Me?
Wife & Wife: dumbyugi
Zansho: Usobuko

Quixzlizx

PositioN by Ashinano Hitoshi

A short, quirky work that mixes contemporary slice of life with surreal happenings, demonstrating that it only takes a slight change of perspective to view things very differently. The lack of proper introduction and conclusion is rather disorienting though.

Doubt by Dowman Sayman

Already read this one, but it's a pretty cute story nevertheless which manages to be classic Dowman Sayman with the usual blend of philosophical themes and casual weirdness, yet is a relatively benign and accessible short to those unfamiliar with the author.

Yume Nikki by Kikiyama, Machigerita & Tomizawa Hitoshi

Yume Nikki is one of my favorite games due to its rather unique setting and surreal atmosphere, with the player exploring mind-melting landscapes and encountering bizarre events, some of which grant you effects, all the while without any text or story. The manga manages to nail the sceneries and atmosphere amazingly well, and remains pretty close to the game for its first half (save for the rather chatty reimagination of Madotsuki), while the latter half gets much weirder, it's still a rather original take on the game and ultimately I'd say it's a rather good adaptation, notably for its art.

Wife & Wife by Minamoto Hisanari

Cute lesbian couple being cute. I've already read it but it's still pretty enjoyable to go through it again. There's not much development or particularily interesting themes, but it manages to deliver what it advertises, which is a yuri story filled with sweet and fluffy moments.

Zansho by Kitoh Mohiro

Melancholic, funny, tragic, sweet, heartwarming. A nice array of stories with various settings, some romantic, some more philosophical, all with their various twists. Kind of suffers from the "same face" syndrome for most girls, but the cars and motorcycles are pretty well-drawn. A great collection.

Guess who selected them?:
PositioN: Akito
Doubt: striferser
Yume Nikki:
Me?
Wife & Wife: dumbyugi
Zansho: Usobuko

You're a machine.

Usobuko

Banned
I am only left with "Wife and Wife", I can probably count in 1 hand the number of Yuri manga I read.

Yes, I suggested Zansho. It's not the last of Mohiro Kitoh works though, same face syndrome will be back.

Kami-sama wa Ikiru no ga Tsurai 01

A suicidal god suddenly has a girl that decides she wants to live in his abandoned shrine.

Not bad. Kinda similar to these normal girls resides with pretty boy gods stories expect she forces herself to live there instead of the other way around. Having the god be pessimistic is amusing enough as well.

Also he was shot down for marriage, lol

Usobuko

Banned
Antiwhippy, do we have the exact number for all the manga without repeated titles? I find it amazing that it hits 160 because I assume there will be plenty of overlapping.

Suzuka 158-end

I'm surprised Suzuka's father forgive Yamato just like that. He even let Yamato to keep the baby. I have an acquaintance with a similar situation (he could see his daughter like once a month) so I find this really odd. The wedding scene with all the characters is cliché but it could be worse I suppose.

I only read KNIM until chapter 60-something (apparently that's when the plot start to get full retard) so I can't really compare the two. Not as much NTR as I thought but still suffering from reading this.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
She wants to fuck him...

Or have him fuck someone else...

In order to conceive a baby...

So that have her soul can occupy said baby...

Just because she doesn't like her body having a scar...

Do I have that right?

I think I have that right.

the hell is this?!?! this sounds like that manga where that guy goes to an island
and meets three girls cause he inherited the spirit of a previous ancestor, forgot the name but it was an excellent read, the ending was rushed in my opinion but it had strong character development and REAL emotions.

Zweizer

Banned
So you're a future-predicting machine?

Well, for what it's worth I'm pretty good at rock-paper-scissors.

I am only left with "Wife and Wife", I can probably count in 1 hand the number of Yuri manga I read.

Yes, I suggested Zansho. It's not the last of Mohiro Kitoh works though, same face syndrome will be back.

That's surprising to hear. A general lack of interest for works of this genre?

Yay! Seems like I know your tastes pretty well.

rrvv

PositioN

sometimes, boring stuff can be awesome if you think it in other way.

but I cannot do that orz

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Antiwhippy, do we have the exact number for all the manga without repeated titles? I find it amazing that it hits 160 because I assume there will be plenty of overlapping.

11 overlaps.

So around 155 uniques, though that's not counting the ones people read but didn't submit.

Also just received dakku's list today, which adds another 20 or so.

kasane

Hajiotsu 15

So much doki doki.

I guess the whole set up problem (I forget it was even a problem) got resolved?

Seifuku Aventure - Chemical Reaction Of High School Students 08-09

So much blushing over your not boyfriend.

Rin-ne 190

Haha, that dog throwing the glasses away.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I support the punishment staying.

Or saucy taking on everyone's punishment time.

yo what
gladiatorthumbsdown.gif

It takes like 10 minutes to write out impressions that are at least comprehensive enough to prove you've read the chapters for the week, assuming you wanted to do the bare minimum. And some of the impressions that were posted didn't even meet that standard. I don't know why someone would spend 1-2 hours suffering through the read and not even make a post.

Throwing me under the bus too I see
of course the easiest way is to just tell me if you didn't read it and around where you stopped so I can punish your ass
tl;dr

I stopped reading at chapter 90. My life is trash and I have always been 2busy.

Gave in and looked at the raws of Tokyo DTED and well... uh...

(major spoilers follow, obviously)

It doesn't end up going into NTR territory at all really, the MC pretty much just sucks balls. Bangs Kaede and Saki afterwards and then proceeds to immediately go to an oral sex bar (lol). Resolves his issues with his brother and Kaede and then it just ends, he doesn't end up with anyone, I guess.

disappointing

Busaiku

Barakamon came in earlier this week.
Didn't think they were going for the bigger sized books, which is cool.
But they're also a little problematic for reading.

Stella to Mille Feuille 01

A guy runs away from his Asian Father and choose to live by himself in an apartment. There, he meets his eccentric neighbors and begins a new life.

Pretty interesting. Nice to see a male lead in a shoujo series and he definitely carries a lot of emotional baggage. I do like it seems to be a series of growth from his oppressive father's life to something he makes of his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom