• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
after the last arc I knew that the only way was to move forward with the main story

It would be impossible for them to live their normal lives in Edo after all of that

Turok_TTZ

after the last arc I knew that the only way was to move forward with the main story

It would be impossible for them to live their normal lives in Edo after all of that
that's true... I guess that means I get to see Oboro more often but man, I will miss the comedy gold now that there is no room for it.

The only reason I don't like tournament arcs is because they inherently take goddamn forever.

The anime is going to be like 75% tournament.

I'm more of a believer that if we get the usual 12-13 episodes, then the anime will stop when the Training camp arc ends and Soma catches a ride with Erina.

that's true... I guess that means I get to see Oboro more often but man, I will miss the comedy gold now that there is no room for it.

looking at the full RAW

it does attempt to have some comedy in it but the whole scenario is just dark beyond belief so you just skim over it

*Spoiler doesn't particularly spoil anything but explains about the structure of this weeks chapter

dani_dc

Basically because of the centaur's arm strength that surpasses that of a proper strongman, I smell bullshit. But this doesn't seem right for an author that almost overthinks things. So maybe angels posses superhuman intellect or the ability to persuade and command anyone with their speech. Or they could have retard strength as well, something about their home dimension/planet might cause hyperconcentrated muscle mass

I'll go with higher gravity on their home dimension!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm more of a believer that if we get the usual 12-13 episodes, then the anime will stop when the Training camp arc ends and Soma catches a ride with Erina.

It really depends whether they go 1 or 2-cour, I suppose. The tournament is an entire one though.

This will probably be 2cour, wouldn't you think?
But if it is there wouldn't be a good place to end, really.

A 2-cour would end at the next chapter I think since the arc ends there. A lot of the tournament can be condensed down, e.g. there were like 2 or 3 chapters on Erina's stalker, the Qipao girl etc. that don't have any reason to exist.

This will probably be 2cour, wouldn't you think?
But if it is there wouldn't be a good place to end, really.

It really depends whether they go 1 or 2-cour, I suppose. The tournament is an entire one though.

I just don't have enough confidence in JC Staff adapting 100+ chapters into 24-26 episodes well.

Rather they just play it safe and go 1-cour for the time being.

Less chances for them to screw things up.

Nordicus

I'll go with higher gravity on their home dimension!
I thought that as well, but she'd spend first few seconds jumping like crazy in the human world, and maybe not immediately pick up on the fact that she can throw boulders bigger than her head like a basketball.

I just don't have enough confidence in JC Staff adapting 100+ chapters into 24-26 episodes well.

I don't have confidence in that either, just saying these kind of things are usually multi-cour, especially when there is enough material to adapt.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I don't know why 100 chapters in 24 episodes would be hard. A LOT of the tournament arc is people standing around describing shit.

The Little Match Girl 1
ideY13yt5JYzu.jpg
Nobody ever suspects the butterfly.

My favourite one-shot given serialisation flesh. It stars an adorable, kind-hearted match seller who seeks to improve the lives of the disadvantaged with her magical wares, but whose efforts are ultimately thwarted by the insatiable monster known as the human mind. Some, all or none of the above may be true.

Unsurprisingly for something I'm partial to, there's karma and suffering to rival Screaming Lessons, and other similarities in its episodic nature and unsettling female overseer. The art in the opening pages gave me a mild heart attack, because I was terrified that the artist / her endearing style had somehow been compromised since the one-shot, but fortunately I was getting in a flap over a fantasy. I need more chapters, so I plan to sit here lighting matches while thinking about more releases for the next few hours.

dani_dc

Himouto! Umaru-chan 88

I'm so glad Sylphin is getting along with everyone.

ROuWHGk.jpg

This is as awkward as it is sad.

Nice pokerface there Umaru.

I'm expecting a disappointing "I'm going to go to the bathroom" shenanigans.

dani_dc

Kyou no Yuiko-san

Series follows Yuiko, a girl that tries to be tsundere but fails hard at it, so she just ends up embarrassed most of the time.

She also lacks human communication skills which further leads to embarrassment.

It's a simple but but very cute series.

dani_dc

Wakabayashi Toshiya's 4-koma Collection 29

This was more odd than cute, then again students going after teachers and teachers accepting this behavior usually is.

Usobuko

Banned
Unsurprisingly for something I'm partial to, there's karma and suffering to rival Screaming Lessons, and other similarities in its episodic nature and unsettling female overseer. The art in the opening pages gave me a mild heart attack, because I was terrified that the artist / her endearing style had somehow been compromised since the one-shot, but fortunately I was getting in a flap over a fantasy.

Yea, I noticed that too. It was almost like a generic rom-com artstyle until MC fantasy ended.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
One Piece

That's a forced character drama if I ever see one. A cheap shot, if you will, heh.

Himouto! Umaru-chan 88

Ohoooo~~

This manga is so cheerful, I love it so much.

Can anyone enlighten me again on how a WSJ series get chosen for the cover page?

I know about special occasions like Anniversaries and Time skips but commonly how many times does the series need to be in the top spot to warrant a cover page for that weeks magazine issue?

dani_dc

Netgame no Yome wa Onna no Ko ja nai to Omotta? 1-2

Of course he'd end up in a guilld where everyone else is a female IRL and they all happen to go to the same school.

Mostly enjoyed Segaway comments.

Inugami-san to Sarutobi-kun wa Naka ga Warui. 08

A love? rival appears. And he's probably/totally a jerk, but he's already seems better than the current jerk. Everyone's all jerks here.

How much of a boost do you guys think Shokugeki No Soma's manga will get from the anime?

My guess is it will reach to 500K or 600K for each Vol.

mhs004

Can anyone enlighten me again on how a WSJ series get chosen for the cover page?

I know about special occasions like Anniversaries and Time skips but commonly how many times does the series need to be in the top spot to warrant a cover page for that weeks magazine issue?

I always came to the conclusion on what series they want to push for. If it's on the rise then it gets a CP. What series has dropped some recently and may need a push? Is it getting an anime or close to one? Stuff like that.

I always came to the conclusion on what series they want to push for. If it's on the rise then it gets a CP. What series has dropped some recently and may need a push? Is it getting an anime or close to one? Stuff like that.

this makes sense

so it is more of a strategic thing.... the rankings play a role but the overall circumstance of the series overall popularity and the events (such as movies, animes, long lasting good sales, etc...)which develop due to it, makes the editors choose to place it on the cover

Turok_TTZ

Gintama 527

Gintoki is a boss. nobunobu is a bloody prick.
Never thought I'd see the day otae would speak well of Kondou...

Will sasaki let it slide or will nobunobu stay a prick?

Revo

Kubera The Last God

Can someone answer some questions or speculate about the answers?

What does Ran mean when he says Leez shouldn't tell Claude about her lack of fear towards death?
Why can Yuta hear Ran's brother speech about being pitiful?
Why did God Kubera's hand start to disappear?
Why do you think Agni gave Yuta his consent?
What power is Asha after as she tries to kill Leez on board the airship?
If this trial doesn't result in Asha's excommunication then something is wrong with the world.

This author is the biggest tease ever
with constant timeshifts towards the future. Could've sworn we saw Leez die as Yuta held her. Is Kubera Leez the last god or what? Does that mean Agni is dying at some point?

1) Probably not a good idea to tell claude anything. It seems like Claude has at least some idea about Asha's plan for the future so if Claude knew that Leez wasn't afraid of death then she might try to kill her again maybe?
2) Unsure what talking about here
3) Probably because Leez is becoming closer to Kubera (the god). Or that there can't be 2 real Kuberas or something.
4) Because Yuta actually has feelings for Leez and it isn't just hunger/he has the potential to have feelings (probably the former).
5) Probably the power of a god. Maybe she got the 2nd tier powers because she agreed to kill off people with the name Kubera

Honestly so far I've felt we've been in the prologue so we don't have too much info.

mhs004

this makes sense

so it is more of a strategic thing.... the rankings play a role but the overall circumstance of the series overall popularity and the events (such as movies, animes, long lasting good sales, etc...)which develop due to it, makes the editors choose to place it on the cover
Exactly, what better marketing is there for a manga series than to be on Shonen Jump.

Gintama 527

Gintoki is a boss. nobunobu is a bloody prick.
Never thought I'd see the day otae would speak well of Kondou...

Will sasaki let it slide or will nobunobu stay a prick?
I am guessing your not reading this in English :/

if you are though PM me ;))))
Exactly, what better marketing is there for a manga series than to be on Shonen Jump.
true, true but this is slowly changing as popular series are rising from other magazines

Well that isn't quite true because there are other series such as Nanatsu no Taizai (Weekly Shonen Magazine) and Tokyo Ghoul (Young Jump) from other magazines that are marketed really well. Both these series are selling 700k per Vol. So it goes to show that Shonen Jump isn't the only place for great marketing for a series. Plus there are other series that I haven't mentioned.

mhs004

Well that isn't quite true because there are other series such as Nanatsu no Taizai (Weekly Shonen Magazine) and Tokyo Ghoul (Young Jump) from other magazines that are marketed really well. Both these series are selling 700k per Vol. So it goes to show that Shonen Jump isn't the only place for great marketing for a series. Plus theirs other series that I haven't mention.

It's just jump is so iconic it is kind of marketing in itself. I do agree that there are some mags that may be as good if not better at the moment it's just jump has a legacy.

Rhapsody

Banned
It's just jump is so iconic it is kind of marketing in itself. I do agree that there are some mags that may be as good if not better at the moment it's just jump has a legacy.

This. Not being on Jump doesn't mean it can't be marketed well/successful. Being on Jump is just easy exposure compared to other magazines for that demographic. Sort of like how a lot of people eat up the light novels in Dengeki Bunko compared to other publishers.

Edit: I wonder how many people ended up watching Garzey's Wing because of "From the creator of Gundam" on the top lol

This. Not being on Jump doesn't mean it can't be marketed well/successful. Being on Jump is just easy exposure compared to other magazines for that demographic. Sort of like how a lot of people eat up the light novels in Dengeki Bunko compared to other publishers.

Edit: I wonder how many people ended up watching Garzey's Wing because of "From the creator of Gundam" on the top lol

Too bad it didn't help Judos, Sporting Salt, and E-Robot. 😌

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom