• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fairy Tail

"We've seen your naked bodies plenty of times"

"Yeah...the novelty wore off after awhile."

Oh.

my.

god.

That shit SLAYED me hahahahaha I'm crying!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I would also sell your soul to the Devil to see it completed. Sadly, pretending Prison School is the continuation just doesn't work.

Eh, whatever. As much I like me and the devil blues, prison school right now has been pretty amazing. For entirely different reasons. Or similar reasons. I can't tell anymore.

Mael

Not every ninja manga can be Shinobi no Kuni.

Well...yeah but I feel like if they were samourais instead of ninjas It wouldn't bother me at all.
Heck kinda like how the pirates in OP don't do any actual pirating.

Or how in Bleach the whole shinigami stuffs is really a pretext (that one is for you Beam :p)

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Two my absolute favorite mangas right now:

Shuuden na Kankei

and

Saiteihen no Otoko

url.jpg

Two vastly different manga: one is fascinatingly cute and endearing, the other is fascinatingly intriguing and inventively horrifying.

IHaveIce

Banned
Well...yeah but I feel like if they were samourais instead of ninjas It wouldn't bother me at all.
Heck kinda like how the pirates in OP don't do any actual pirating.

Or how in Bleach the whole shinigami stuffs is really a pretext (that one is for you Beam :p)
Only the strawhats don't really do pirating, other like Kidd are shown to be very piratey

Aizo

Banned
Eh, whatever. As much I like me and the devil blues, prison school right now has been pretty amazing. For entirely different reasons. Or similar reasons. I can't tell anymore.
I think it is good at what it does, but I just don't think it is a series I want to read while it is ongoing. I read a volume a while ago, thought it was funny, and that's enough for me.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think it is good at what it does, but I just don't think it is a series I want to read while it is ongoing. I read a volume a while ago, thought it was funny, and that's enough for me.

It might be worth picking it back up. I won't say that it reaches the insanity of devil blues, but there's a pretty knowing absurdity going on right now that is so ridiculous it's amazing.

Hi. I watch anime here and there, but I've never read any manga. This seems like a good place to ask for a recommendation.

As for tastes, I really really like One Piece. Tried watching Bleach after taking a break from OP and kind of hated it. All the victories in One PIece felt completely earned, so when Bleach did the "I have never been beaten in 9 billion million years but oh wait the Main Character hit me once, I am now dead" thing early on, I found that really annoying. When Mihawk claimed to be serious business, he actually meant it.
Whatever you recommend doesn't actually need to have any fighting in it, because the increasingly more depressing character backstories and other emotional moments of OP are also completely great.

I'd prefer if I could read something that didn't have an anime adaptation, because otherwise I'll just end up watching that instead.

Kurita

Hi. I watch anime here and there, but I've never read any manga. This seems like a good place to ask for a recommendation.

As for tastes, I really really like One Piece. Tried watching Bleach after taking a break from OP and kind of hated it. All the victories in One PIece felt completely earned, so when Bleach did the "I have never been beaten in 9 billion million years but oh wait the Main Character hit me once, I am now dead" thing early on, I found that really annoying. When Mihawk claimed to be serious business, he actually meant it.
Whatever you recommend doesn't actually need to have any fighting in it, because the increasingly more depressing character backstories and other emotional moments of OP are also completely great.

I'd prefer if I could read something that didn't have an anime adaptation, because otherwise I'll just end up watching that instead.
Oyasumi Punpun
One Punch Man
Makai no Ossan
I Am a Hero
AKB49
Nobunaga no Chef

Lain

The Breaker: New Waves 132

Oh fuck. The worst chapter to be shortened by the author.

Prior to reading, I was thinking it would have been a short chapter like it happened in the past, no biggie.
After reading, talk about blue balling.

mhs004

Hunter X Hunter
Toriko

upandaway

Oh man, there are plenty of those

Shokugeki no Soma (currently this thread's darling, it's great stuff, check it out!)
Medaka Box (the anime ends before the story even gets going)
Baby Steps
Molester Man
One Punch Man
Mondaijitachi Z (sequel to the anime)

And most importantly, this means you never read Yotsuba&, right? Fix that!

Tamanon

Banned
Shokugeki no Soma

I like that it wasn't a close victory, it was still a trouncing. But Soma pulled another lesson out of his failure.

Aizo

Banned
All right. I'm not sure if you want ongoing or completed, so I'll do both.

Depressing ongoing:
Oyasumi Punpun

Depressing completed:
not simple (Quite short. Very unique art.)
Shiba Inu
Ikigami

Earned victory action ongoing:
Berserk
Vagabond

Earned victory action completed:
Hoshi no Samidare
Battle Angel Alita

If you have any specific genres you want to read or preferred lengths, just let me know.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I can't wait for DTL's post that proves you wrong.

Actually, there's a pretty clear pattern that DTL likes dudes who get naked all the time, e.g. that swimming anime, Isshiki (the naked chef on Soma), Gray on Fairy Tail, yesterday someone asked about an anime and he said it was awesome, citing a picture of a naked guy.

scy

The Breaker: New Waves 132 - .........yes, exactly, end on that page. Yeah. ;__;

Baby Steps 193 - A fairly uneventful chapter. Man, get to the match already~

Thanks for the recommendations. I looked most of them up (and was immediately sold on One-Punch Man because that's a great premise) and they sound good.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
i want you all to know

that as much as i hate naruto now

it really used to be my shit

when i was a young teen (or maybe 12?) and youtube was in its glory days, i got my kicks watching naruto episodes subbed in 3 parts split, in really shitty quality, and it was a riot.

i almost teared up at the zabuza and haku part with the music overlayed

rock lee's storyline and that SAME FUCKING MUSIC (Sadness and Sorrow!) made a motherfucker cop the feels something fierce

the third's funeral ;_;

the memories are strong with naruto. it was the first real anime i got into (I don't count DBZ/Sailor Moon on Toonami cause those were different)

TLDR: Fuck you, Kishimoto

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hajime no Ippo

Having just rewatched the Ricardo Martinez spar, it's interesting how Ippo has improved (it's been ~700 chapters after all). He was completely destroyed back then but he's become faster and smarter. I wonder what Ippo's weakness everybody and their mother has alluded to and whether Gonzales will show his "real" fighting style.

I think the weakness is he's predictable. He always does the same thing, press-in then when he reaches the other guy a body blow with his left. If you know it's coming then stopping it is child's play. Ippo's gonna need to find some variation if he's gonna win.

I think most people who still read Naruto had a similar experience, Statbro, which is why they still follow the series, even after all the shit Kishimoto pulled. Most of us watch or read the big three through nostalgia goggles. It doesn't make it better, but it gives us a reason to follow them until the bitter end.

upandaway

Thanks for the recommendations. I looked most of them up (and was immediately sold on One-Punch Man because that's a great premise) and they sound good.
Don't forget to post impressions when/after you read them, most people who ask for recommendations forget this last part

Dresden

shokugeki no soma -

To think that this started as a smutread, and has since become wholesomeread. I feel happy when I read this.

breakah new waves -

this is so yaoi

mhs004

Soma

I'm not going to lie this is the best manga in Jump right now. I love how One Piece and Toriko are going right now but damn this is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom