• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zweizer

Banned
Goodnight Punpun by Inio Asano

A protagonist (and his family) depicted as a crudely-drawn bird. A protagonist who never speaks on-screen. A perpetually smiling god with an afro. Growing up. Living. Sex. Love. A gratuitous dose of nihilism. Gorgeous and highly detailed backgrounds. A gratuitous dose of surrealism. Characters who might be insane. Characters who are insane. A gratuitous dose of realism. So many things that together form a very unique manga. One that's unlike anything else in the medium.

The story tells of Punpun, a somewhat quiet little boy, who falls in love with Aiko, his new classmate, and his life and thoughts as he grows up, with his personality shaped up by events, big and small, that happens around him, towards his entourage, and how he himself slowly changes, hesitates, stumbles along the way. A story that depicts the beautiful and ugly sides of Punpun's life in their entirety.

RbXKLkT.png

An unusual narrative that blends first and third person perspective through the protagonist, whose primitive depiction allows for an easier immersion. An interesting cast of colorful characters, whose depths are slowly unraveled, and are all more than meets the eye. A healthy blend of realism, surrealism, cynicism and insanity, creating an atmosphere that reeks both of despair and hope, with nuggets of humor thrown into it. Feelings, emotions, desires of a person, of people, laid bare in all its ugly glory, converging, clashing, influencing each other. Goodnight Punpun is an unique manga that tells the highs and lows of a man who desesperately wants to live, wants to love, but mostly the lows.

Be it for its unique use of the medium, its despiction of dysfunctional characters, its gorgeous art, or its cynical mood and themes, Goodnight Punpun is an unique experience that is sure to not leave any reader indifferent.

Read it.

Kurita

Still cant get over the crude bird drawing thing.

it just breaks the world completely for me

It just wouldn't be the same without the bird though. It allows the author to do some really creative stuff.

Such a masterpiece...
I'd say it's in my top 5 as far as completed series are concerned.

Zweizer

Banned
Still cant get over the crude bird drawing thing.

it just breaks the world completely for me
It just wouldn't be the same without the bird though. It allows the author to do some really creative stuff.

Yep. A huge amount of scenes and the emotions they portray wouldn't have worked as effectively if Punpun wasn't drawn that way. It is kind of jarring, but it's something you get used to after a little while.

Azure J

Such a masterpiece...

Yeah, the portrayal of Punpun as a caricature serves to enhance a lot of small aspects in tone and mood in ways that probably wouldn't be available if he took a more grounded approach.
The latter few chapters with Punpun developing horns and a jet black expressionless face were terrifying because you just knew something was going to go down but you endlessly hoped that he would free himself of that mood before doing said horrible thing.

That and the small intrigue in series over what he actually looks like to other people was a really cool Easter egg when you'd see things like his general look but no defining features
(Sachi's drawing)

Zweizer

Banned
The interview with Inio Asano about Punpun that Usobuko linked is pretty interesting, especially the author's perspective about the events of the manga (spoilers, obviously), and the circumstances surrounding its creation.

The translator mentioned Kengo Hanazawa in the comments, which made me think how incredible a collaboration between the two would be.

Revo

Tsugumomo 42-48

Looks like we finally got that full resolution between them.
And looks like they're going hard with their plan, even going after a teacher.

But woo more Sunao!

Tokyo Ghoul:re 16

Nice words there, Suzuya.
So Shinohara is still alive.
Curious to learn whom Touka was visiting in the hospital.
Next chapter potentially an all-out brawl between Ghouls and CCG.

Yep. A huge amount of scenes and the emotions they portray wouldn't have worked as effectively if Punpun wasn't drawn that way. It is kind of jarring, but it's something you get used to after a little while.

Such a masterpiece...

i'll still give it a shot...eventually

Revo

Tsugumomo 49-54

Looks like it'll be the obvious
he created the black obi to be like his mother, but it's too dangerous/whatever, took over his mother and Kiriha beat it, but it still likes kazuya.

They better not succeed >:

From the same man who brought Swing Out Sisters into this world.

My fellow smut brethren should know that title

Comes a new manga focusing on one boy's entrance to high school where 4 girls from his childhood all have feelings for him and are competing against one another to win his dick heart.

From looking around, the manga has already been completed after 1 volume.

Which means I shouldn't nor anyone thinking of picking it this up, should expect anything special from this manga.

However.

If I can get more of these moments.

Then I won't mind keeping my eye on this.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is it coincidence that after talking about flawfuls people are suddenly reading PunPun?

Based flawfuls graced us with his blessings once again.

Sakurai-san's Great Energy 9

There is a shortage of monster girl themed manga because now I am being told to read 8 page one-shots ):
I think I read every series that would count and even ones that are skirting the line like Jitsu wa

I wonder who Touka is visiting in the hospital. I can't really think of anyone.

Revo

Tsugumomo 55-56

55 was definitely not anything close to that concentration game, definitely not.

Overall pretty enjoyable, sometimes gets creepy (and once really, really creepy) though. Also sometimes the essentially molestation of Kazuya gets to be a bit too much.

As long as it isn't hitting those notes (at least, too often) it is definitely quite enjoyable.

Frog-fu

Banned

Kind of disappointing Shinohara survived. How many times does that make now? Shieet.

Tōka looking awesome post-timeskip.

Suzuya is not as much of a deliberate prick. Step up, but I still despise him.

I don't know if the pacing is slow or I'm a inpatient brat

Did you also recently catch up with the manga? I'm in the same boat.

Kingdom 419

Aww snap me and Frog both knew that he might decided to betray him

yet I never knew he had a special force

Yup. Didn't know SHK had his own special unit, but it makes sense. We should've seen that coming tbh.

dani_dc

Sakurai-san's Great Energy ch9 - 6 Limbs Complex

This is an adorable one-shot story about how the accepted speciesist tendencies in the world stop a spider-girl* from buying cute shoes.

*spiders actually have 8 legs so I have no idea what she is. Unless we're counting the arms, then I guess she's one.

Rhapsody

Banned
Finished reading that Inio Asano interview. I remember it being linked last year, but I forgot to save the link. Makes me want to re-read Punpun after understanding more of it from this interview. It'll be interesting to experience it from a slightly different point of view.

dani_dc

Finished reading that Inio Asano interview. I remember it being linked last year, but I forgot to save the link. Makes me want to re-read Punpun after understanding more of it from this interview. It'll be interesting to experience it from a slightly different point of view.

I finally got around reading the interview today and I got out of it with the same exact feeling.
Unfortunately I have too many other mangas to read and other things in general to do to justify re-reading Punpun right now.

Rhapsody

Banned
Kono Shima ni wa Midara de Jaaku na Mono ga Sumu 10

Looks like we'll finally figure out more of the princess's past in the next chapter. Still not sure what I should be expecting out of this manga. The setting certainly is strange.
I finally got around reading the interview today and I got out of it with the same exact feeling.
Unfortunately I have too many other mangas to read and other things in general to do to justify re-reading Punpun right now.

Yeah, I won't be reading it any time soon either. Plus I want to give it another year or so before revisiting it.

Zweizer

Banned
Sakurai-san's Great Energy 9

There is a shortage of monster girl themed manga because now I am being told to read 8 page one-shots ):
I think I read every series that would count and even ones that are skirting the line like Jitsu wa

You could always check!
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?category=Monster+Girl/s

Sakurai-san's Great Energy ch9 - 6 Limbs Complex

This is an adorable one-shot story about how the accepted speciesist tendencies in the world stop a spider-girl* from buying cute shoes.

*spiders actually have 8 legs so I have no idea what she is. Unless we're counting the arms, then I guess she's one.

Yeah, together with her arms it makes 8 limbs.

Frog-fu

Banned
Is Area D worth getting into? I'm hoping to avoid another Tokyo ESP disaster with that one.

what would be even more surprising if he isn't on any side and that he has his own plan of rebillion and wants to run the country

That would definitely be surprising since SHK doesn't strike me as the type. The raws for 420 are out but they won't be translated until a week from now. Can't really tell what's happening.

Rhapsody

Banned
Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o! 2-3

I wasn't expecting more chapters. Looks like the protagonist is gaining new skills. Also having pretty much a tank in the party that's a masochist sure is amusing. Aqua making me think of Haqua so much is slightly annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom