• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zweizer

Banned
I did find a motherlod of Azamune Ryuta stuff tho. I'm not sure I should buy those in the same town where I should teach.

Do it. What's the worst that could happen?

I hope so. I'd love for an anime series but something tells me that probably won't be the case :/

Well, more projects ought to be good to increase popularity. There aren't that many chapters out either, so it still might take a while.

(I guess it would probably get a web anime or such at the best though.)

dani_dc

I popped into a second-hand bookshop but I couldn't find any Don't Become an Otaku :< :<

I did find a motherlod of Azamune Ryuta stuff tho. I'm not sure I should buy those in the same town where I should teach.

I'm not sure that's the type of stuff you want to buy at a second-hand store.

dramatis

Sangokushi v16

Christ, even the doctors in this are metal as fuck.
You know, there's a story (not manga, just in popular Chinese fiction?) that Cao Cao had a lot of headaches, and a talented doctor at that time very nearly became the first guy ever to do brain surgery. He told Cao Cao if he could cut into Cao Cao's head and remove the problem (suspected to be a brain tumor) then he could cure Cao Cao.

Of course Cao Cao wasn't going to let some guy cut his head open though. But yeah, ancient Chinese doctors.

bobohoro

I'm not sure that's the type of stuff you want to buy at a second-hand store.

What's the worst that could possibly happen?

As long as you wear gloves...to not get papercuts.

Shokugeki No Soma 115

And I catched up! Highlight for me was the match against Stalker-kun, the ridiculous mash-up of extreme character traits functioning as well as it did defies all writing logic. And I think I'll enjoy the manga even more now that I'm forced to take it slow. And I can follow character poll discussions, yay!

Rising x Rydeen 1-5

Wth. Gelsquirting superpowers, breasts defying all physical (and anatomical) logic and unoriginal but still entertaining comedy. Seems like a winner.
Oh and: Gloooo-chan Noooooo!

And is there no official english version of PunPun available? I only see french and german versions and while I could read both (ok, naw, I'd need some serious work for the french one) I'd vastly prefer a physical english version for collection's sake.

Ikenai Mousou Fudanshi 1-6 END
CDMvJreW4AASpKF.png

More fudanshi manga are needed. This is definitely one of the funniest manga Ive ever read with many of the chapters having numerous actually LOL moments. The fantasies, relatable, were incredible as well as all of Satou's internal dialogue. Then the girlfriend moments, she was a wonderful side character to be around. One of the funniest scenes was definitely the finding out Satou had the BL manga hidden under the bed and scenes when Arihara would inquire about them. Best scene handsdown would be the Satou in the shower scene fantasizing and then calling Arihara name, and he rushing in there. Too good.

The extra was kind of weak on the writing part but that character change close to the end, incredible, and really pleasing moment.

Definitely will be in my top list of bl mangas.
CDMmmHjWEAAgpUv.png

wonzo

Banned
You know, there's a story (not manga, just in popular Chinese fiction?) that Cao Cao had a lot of headaches, and a talented doctor at that time very nearly became the first guy ever to do brain surgery. He told Cao Cao if he could cut into Cao Cao's head and remove the problem (suspected to be a brain tumor) then he could cure Cao Cao.

Of course Cao Cao wasn't going to let some guy cut his head open though. But yeah, ancient Chinese doctors.
holy shit

Well the Qin Emperor (Sei from Kingdom) probably died for digesting mercury pills given by ancient Chinese doctors who believed it could make him immortal.

It also could explain his paranoia and insane decisions made in the final years of his life.

Some of the reasons why I can't really get into the Kingdom manga.

Soul Catcher(S) 20-26

Finally caught up, great performance. Figured he would fall after he started jumping, but at least it was the end of the performance. Shouta is such a great conducter.

I liked the more virbant AU panels more though, dinosaurs, cliffs, etc were good at the start.

Rhapsody

Banned
Wait, so that really was their first kiss, there wasn't even an accidental one in the original?
I mean, I thought it was, but I still somewhat doubted it based on all the stuff that goes on in this manga.
Doesn't change the fact that Haruna is still the most boring character, only Maron saves her somewhat.

I don't think there was, but I could be wrong. Pretty sure Rito's lips mostly ended up touching other places usually lol

Haruna's my least favorite girl in TLR, so I don't really remember a lot of her chapters anyway.

Qurupeke

I just want to say that I bought my first manga about 3-4 days ago. It was the first volume of Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo. I've been reading mangas for quite a few years but I never bought anything till now, mostly because they're expensive and I didn't think they'd worth it. After watching the first episode of the anime and reading the whole manga in like 2 days, I really had to buy it though. I'm thinking of getting a few volumes of other series too, but I doubt I'll make a big collection.

Also, I bought it in person but thankfully nobody seemed to notice the cover, as it is a bit weird. :p

Oh and the manga is pretty good, just saying.

dani_dc

Fuuka 58

Dropping out of high school? LOL
Can they even do that without consent from an adult?

Also the back story of the drummer makes less sense now, so be joined this high school because he dreamed of being a track runner, got a a scholarship for track running and then drops it because Fuuka/Yuu asked him to join a band?
It might have been imported to have dwelled into this subject some more at some early point of the manga.

Probably just Seo wanting to do a throw back at Suzuka without realizing that it messes up with the character motivational back story.
I was always under the impression he was in track because he was good at it, not because he liked it.

360pages

Fuuka 58

Also the back story of the drummer makes less sense now, so be joined this high school because he dreamed of being a track runner, got a a scholarship for track running and then drops it because Fuuka/Yuu asked him to join a band?
It might have been imported to have dwelled into this subject some more at some early point of the manga.

Probably just Seo wanting to do a throw back at Suzuka without realizing that it messes up with the character motivational back story.
I was always under the impression he was in track because he was good at it, not because he liked it.

More importantly, why do they need to drop out of Highschool to be in a band? Shouldn't they finish at least that much just incase the band idea breaks down?

Haven't posted in here in a while, but holy shit I did not know Fairy Tail was STILL going. Dropped it at like 50 episodes in and forgot all about it

Anyways, One Piece has been stellar as usual, can't wait for the chapter in a couple days, My Hero Academia is my new hope that Jump won't go entirely to shit, I still don't know if I should go for Black Clover, I might just try it and I've been reading Holyland on the side and that's really really good

dani_dc

We're getting a new OP chapter this week?
Thought the break would be longer.

More importantly, why do they need to drop out of Highschool to be in a band? Shouldn't they finish at least that much just incase the band idea breaks down?
As stupid of an idea as it is, the characters want to make it pro so I can understand why they'd see school as a waste of their times. They're not even considering the possibility of failure.

I wonder how You chat with the other two went.
"Guys, as a graduation surprise to drummer dude we should all drop out of highschool, it's what Fuuka would had wanted"

dramatis

Well the Qin Emperor (Sei from Kingdom) probably died for digesting mercury pills given by ancient Chinese doctors who believed it could make him immortal.

It also could explain his paranoia and insane decisions made in the final years of his life.

Some of the reasons why I can't really get into the Kingdom manga.
There's ancient Chinese quacks, and then there was the doctor who did actually treat Cao Cao (that story I told is fictional, but it's based off of a real man). He's legit. Cao Cao executed the dude for non-surgery related reasons, however Cao Cao having headaches has some historical basis.

It's common in Chinese history for people to believe in quack medicine and the like, because technically they were superstitious and believed in their mythologies. Qinshihuangdi was a megalomaniac that got more paranoid as he aged, it's no wonder he tried to find immortality at some point.

Do keep in mind though, Three Kingdoms comes some 400 years after Qin Dynasty founding, and during those 400 years of Han Dynasty there were quite a few developments under prosperous times. So some of the stupidity in medicine during a time fraught with war and incoherent governance probably disappeared during the Han Dynasty.

Sai

So, what's Wakaki Tamaki's new work, Nanoha Yougashiten No Ii Shigoto, all about? I see a smoking devil guy and cake baking. Didn't he do a one shot about baking cakes 'n aliens? Does this have any relation at all besides his sweet tooth?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fuuka 58

The way he writes Sara as being Yuusexual is pretty cringeworthy.

dani_dc

There'll be a Golden Week break afterwards, so you're not completely wrong.

That's why I thought we were in for a longer break, was under the impression the next chapter would be after Golden week.

I need to figure out if to go somewhere during Golden week.

The way he writes Sara as being Yuusexual is pretty cringeworthy.

It's really bad how her relationship with You doesn't seem to have changed at all since the start.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That's why I thought we were in for a longer break, was under the impression the next chapter would be after Golden week.

I need to figure out if to go somewhere during Golden week.

It's really bad how her relationship with Yu doesn't seem to have changed at all since the start.

She apparently exists just so he can have a haremite.

Quixzlizx

Fuuka 58

If you remember, he spent most of the early part of the series begging Fuuka to join the track team. The only reason he was even willing to join the band was because Fuuka was the one who convinced him. So that part of his backstory actually checks out, in my opinion. I don't think he was giving the "good at it without liking it" vibe off until after Fuuka had died.

It's a "burn the bridges behind us so we can't turn back" attitude. They don't want anything to fall back on because that might affect how thirsty they are for success as a band.

I'm not saying that's smart, but that's the idea behind it.

dani_dc

She apparently exists just so he can have a haremite.

That's the only way to justify her character.

Go for the beach or hot springs lol
Way too cold for the beach, and I'd imagine hot springs would be pretty expensive during Golden week.

If you remember, he spent most of the early part of the series begging Fuuka to join the track team. The only reason he was even willing to join the band was because Fuuka was the one who convinced him. So that part of his backstory actually checks out, in my opinion. I don't think he was giving the "good at it without liking it" vibe off until after Fuuka had died.

I actually didn't remember that point.
It comes off as odd that his opinion on track seemed to change so significantly without any given reason. Maybe I need to go back and reread the series.

So, what's Wakaki Tamaki's new work, Nanoha Yougashiten No Ii Shigoto, all about? I see a smoking devil guy and cake baking. Didn't he do a one shot about baking cakes 'n aliens? Does this have any relation at all besides his sweet tooth?
No it's different. It's a sweet shop manga about three brothers. One serious, one nice, one crazy. It's another addition to Sunday's lineup of whimsical slice of life stories.

dani_dc

They never seem to encounter these problems in manga!

I dunno. The other half of manga people seem to just laze around during GW.
It's not my fault high school manga kids earn more than me and have no living expenses :(

Laze around is sounding more likely than it should.

Angry Grimace

That's the only way to justify her character.

Way too cold for the beach, and I'd imagine hot springs would be pretty expensive during Golden week.

I actually didn't remember that point.
It comes off as odd that his opinion on track seemed to change so significantly without any given reason. Maybe I need to go back and reread the series.

I hate to say it but I think the series has been more interesting with Fuuka dead. Despite Seo's sterling reputation, nothing all that ragey really happened other than the truck (which end up just being a Narm moment in retrospect).

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Yandere Kanojo 59.5
Dat legendary pose. Lil sis need to wash her mouth with a soap.

Shin Kurosawa 23

Shokotan is so famous, even middle aged guys adore her.

2015 A Space Series 9

Welp another science essay thing and another one of those bad outcomes this time except assaulting religion. I guess it could be assumed that if we do believe an afterlife exists that aliens would be considered sentient beings under the protection of the normal rights for sentient beings. And thus in the case of Earth people taking part in the colonization of multiple planets destroying native "inferior" life forms, that the astronauts involved in that would be considered murderers. Perhaps the one guy in the story did raise a good question if the same God on Earth includes space beings. Though, then again it runs into the other issue that though Zio believes he is helping humanity by pursuing this mission and that because of his great sacrifice he could get into the paradise into afterlife, this is only in the perspective of assuming the God of Earth doesnt consider the other sentient beings as being one of the ones he cares for. I guess it is an interesting thought question to pursue, but it could have gone with an abstract ending instead of the standard, "you are the last remaining astronaut that must sacrifice his life for the rest of earth, and also you murdered 2 mln aliens so you dont go to paradise" bad end.

Tokyo Ghoul:Re 26

Damn Kuriowa is strong as fuck, he just snapped a Ghoul's neck. Also Urie is showing off why he's so edgy and melodramatic. Then we see Nutcracker getting ready to pluck some shark balls.&#128527;

We have to wait 2 weeks for Haise vs Seidou match. Ishida sure knows how to plan.

dani_dc

Himouto! Umaru-chan 96

I hope this is a misunderstanding, the series does not need to go the incest route at all.

Big brother sure is growing an harem.

I hate to say it but I think the series has been more interesting with Fuuka dead. Despite Seo's sterling reputation, nothing all that ragey really happened other than the truck (which end up just being a Narm moment in retrospect).

I can't tell if you're being serious here.
Personally I'm of the opposite belief, there were a lot of interesting things to explore after Fuuka death, but Seo hasn't been able to deliver on any of that.

Blood Blockade Battlefront Vol.02

sTvep92l.jpg

Extremeeeeeee multi layered chess!

Besides that, it's interesting that we're going in the direction of there are a million threats to the city instead of just one crazy guy in a fancy hat. Nice to see Leo's powers being used more in the plot and more of the members of Libra being used in the action too.

The true star is how awesome this world looks though.

Soma

Mahou Tsukai no Yome (The Ancient Magus Bride) Ch. 1-16

alright guys you win this is bretty gud.

Went through all the translated chapters last night and I now I want more. :(

The relationship between the two main characters is a lot more complex than I initially expected yet it's handled very delicately creating not only a very sweet romance but also a feeling of melancholy for their respective fates. The world that's been established here is also very intriguing as well. Just the right amount of fantasy and mystery to keep me very interested in seeing more of it. In particular the chapter that introduced the dragons and getting insight into their perspective on life was really well written, imo.

Good stuff. Can't wait to read more.

Shinobi Shijuusou 02

Ah, the usual girl gets offered up as a prize against two competing pretty boys.

Of course, nice to see her end the duel herself and basically continue to reject all her new harem members.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Mahou Tsukai no Yome (The Ancient Magus Bride) Ch. 1-16

alright guys you win this is bretty gud.

Went through all the translated chapters last night and I now I want more. :(

The relationship between the two main characters is a lot more complex than I initially expected yet it's handled very delicately creating not only a very sweet romance but also a feeling of melancholy for their respective fates. The world that's been established here is also very intriguing as well. Just the right amount of fantasy and mystery to keep me very interested in seeing more of it. In particular the chapter that introduced the dragons and getting insight into their perspective on life was really well written, imo.

Good stuff. Can't wait to read more.

Must read this.

Usobuko

Banned
Weekly Sales

Manga

*1.&#12288;352,615&#12288;1,221,309&#12288;Shingeki no Kyojin Vol.16
*2.&#12288;298,487&#12288;*,298,487&#12288;Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.14
*3.&#12288;270,326&#12288;*,270,326&#12288;Detective Conan Vol.86
*4.&#12288;243,157&#12288;*,246,302&#12288;Chihayafuru Vol.27
*5.&#12288;204,352&#12288;*,204,352&#12288;Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic Vol.25
*6.&#12288;199,227&#12288;2,497,878&#12288;One Piece Vol.77
*7.&#12288;156,119&#12288;*,156,119&#12288;Kingdom Vol.38
*8.&#12288;137,687&#12288;*,138,288&#12288;Suki tte Ii na yo. Vol.14
*9.&#12288;*96,138&#12288;*,*96,138&#12288;Magi: Sinbad no Bouken Vol.6
10.&#12288;*89,423&#12288;*,*89,423&#12288;Noragami Vol.13

11.&#12288;*73,912&#12288;*,*73,912&#12288;Hajime no Ippo Vol.110
12.&#12288;*70,244&#12288;*,*70,244&#12288;Kindaichi Shounen no Jikenbo Returns Vol.5
13.&#12288;*58,176&#12288;*,*58,176&#12288;Shura no Mon: Dai Ni Mon Vol.16
14.&#12288;*57,593&#12288;*,122,011&#12288;Nobunaga Concerto Vol.12
15.&#12288;*56,533&#12288;*,423,275&#12288;One Punch-Man Vol.8
16.&#12288;*50,496&#12288;*,198,903&#12288;Yowamushi Pedal Vol.39
17.&#12288;*50,131&#12288;*,*50,131&#12288;Peace Maker Kurogane Vol.8
18.&#12288;*46,508&#12288;*,*46,508&#12288;Mashiro no Oto Vol.13
19.&#12288;*43,643&#12288;*,437,992&#12288;Bleach Vol.67
20.&#12288;*43,112&#12288;*,305,739&#12288;Shokugeki no Souma Vol.12

21.&#12288;*40,352&#12288;*,*40,352&#12288;Liar Game Vol.19
22.&#12288;*40,252&#12288;*,*40,252&#12288;Detective Conan Vol.86 Limited Edition
23.&#12288;*37,842&#12288;*,225,782&#12288;Shingeki no Kyojin Vol.16 Limited Edition
24.&#12288;*36,475&#12288;*,232,501&#12288;Owari no Seraph Vol.8
25.&#12288;*35,559&#12288;*,*35,559&#12288;Minamoto-kun Monogatari Vol.7
26.&#12288;*34,192&#12288;*,327,148&#12288;Ore Monogatari! Vol.8
27.&#12288;*34,073&#12288;*,299,197&#12288;Nisekoi Vol.17
28.&#12288;*31,871&#12288;*,245,246&#12288;To LOVE-ru Darkness Vol.13
29.&#12288;*31,759&#12288;*,*31,759&#12288;Days Vol.11

30.&#12288;*31,687&#12288;*,*83,168&#12288;Break Blade Vol.14
31.&#12288;*31,643&#12288;*,*31,643&#12288;Gokukoku no Brynhildr Vol.13
32.&#12288;*31,206&#12288;*,441,723&#12288;Arslan Senki Vol.3
33.&#12288;*30,282&#12288;*,466,988&#12288;Arslan Senki Vol.2
34.&#12288;*30,074&#12288;*,506,733&#12288;Arslan Senki Vol.1
35.&#12288;*29,088&#12288;*,267,785&#12288;Gintama Vol.58
36.&#12288;*27,982&#12288;*,254,111&#12288;Boku no Hero Academia Vol.3
37.&#12288;*27,479&#12288;*,*27,479&#12288;Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.14 Limited Edition
38.&#12288;*27,075&#12288;*,768,219&#12288;Tokyo Ghoul:re Vol.2
39.&#12288;*26,681&#12288;*,*26,681&#12288;Pumpkin Scissors Vol.19
40.&#12288;*26,627&#12288;*,*26,627&#12288;Akechi Keibu no Jikenbo Vol.2

41.&#12288;*26,522&#12288;*,264,412&#12288;Toriko Vol.34
42.&#12288;*24,638&#12288;*,*24,638&#12288;Youkai Shoujo Vol.4
43.&#12288;*24,394&#12288;*,*79,724&#12288;Shingeki no Kyojin: Before the Fall Vol.5
44.&#12288;*22,902&#12288;*,*22,902&#12288;Tokiwa Kitareri!! Vol.2
45.&#12288;*22,530&#12288;*,*22,530&#12288;Fantasista Stella Vol.11
46.&#12288;*21,097&#12288;*,*21,301&#12288;Edo Nekoe Jubei Otogizoshi Vol.13
47.&#12288;*19,982&#12288;*,*20,288&#12288;Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu Vol.5
48.&#12288;*19,757&#12288;1,435,358&#12288;Ansatsu Kyoushitsu Vol.1
49.&#12288;*18,785&#12288;*,*41,263&#12288;Psycho-Pass: Kanshikan Kougami Shinya Vol.2
50.&#12288;*18,438&#12288;*,*37,906&#12288;Douse Mou Nigerarenai Vol.9

Detective Conan, Kindaichi and Akechi made it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom