• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arslan 23
CE_h7WyUsAAzDSy.png:large

Arslan Elam conversation was great. Loved finally getting some Elam backstory though we dont know how he decided to come with Narsus :(

bobohoro

Also in other News, i recently ordered those two Manga Volumes:

Yep, even though my Review had a negative tone, i couldn't forget about Oyasumi Punpun, so decided to start to buy the whole Series and give it another read!

I'd love to hear your impressions on translation/overall quality of the books. Since there's no english version in sight, I'd settle for the german one if it's decent enough. Need Punpun in my bookshelf.

Punpun's ending was kinda anticlimactic to me tbh. "That's it? Erm, okay."
Would've been ok with the earth exploding or something.

I wanted a different ending too. But then, I also like it if authors betray your expectations, as long as they put effort into it. The final chapters were anticlimatic and at times even dull, but I think that's the intention. It doesn't hit you full force, it's creeps up on you slowly. I don't know how to describe it, it's not something that makes you shout, or cry, or fistpump the air, it's more a hollow, fading sizzle or something, I guess?

Did you enjoy it?

Do read the interview with Asano next. It clears up a lot of things, and who knows, might give you some peace.

I did. I don't know if I'll ever really find the words to describe it, or if I even want to, but Punpun definitely left an impression on me and that alone is reason enough for me to count it among my personal favourites.

And it made me want to reread No Longer Human for the x-th time. But I think I'm gonna go for something lighthearted first. Any good smutty harem romcom out there?

Probably most people already saw but;

Weekly Shounen Jump ToC #25

Lady Justice(Cover, Lead CP)
One Piece
Black Clover
Sesuji wo Pin! to Kyougi Dance-bu e Youkoso (Color Page, 25pg)
Assassination Classroom
Haikyuu!!
Boku no Hero Academia(Color Page)
Naruto Gaiden - Nanadaime Hokake to Akairo no Hanatsu Tsuki
Gintama
Toriko
PSI Kusuo Saiki
Shokugeki no Soma(Color Page)
Hiromaru Zumou
Kagamigami
Nisekoi
World Trigger
Kochikame
Ultra Battle Satellite
Bleach
Isobe Isobee Monogatari

Happy for Black Clover, sad for Kagamigami.
Kagamigami not dead yet brah. Have faith.

Zweizer

Banned
I'd love to hear your impressions on translation/overall quality of the books. Since there's no english version in sight, I'd settle for the german one if it's decent enough. Need Punpun in my bookshelf.

I wanted a different ending too. But then, I also like it if authors betray your expectations, as long as they put effort into it. The final chapters were anticlimatic and at times even dull, but I think that's the intention. It doesn't hit you full force, it's creeps up on you slowly. I don't know how to describe it, it's not something that makes you shout, or cry, or fistpump the air, it's more a hollow, fading sizzle or something, I guess?

I did. I don't know if I'll ever really find the words to describe it, or if I even want to, but Punpun definitely left an impression on me and that alone is reason enough for me to count it among my personal favourites.

And it made me want to reread No Longer Human for the x-th time. But I think I'm gonna go for something lighthearted first. Any good smutty harem romcom out there?

The French Edition of Punpun is quite good, in case you're interested.

As for the ending, and the way things are presented overall, I'd say it's because events are unfolded rather realistically, even if the presentation can be surreal. As such, you don't really get dramatic reveals or last minute miracles. Only the sense of futility and inevitability that comes as consequences from one's actions. I think that's part of what makes Punpun great.

I'd suggest you read Boys on the Run next, but if you're looking for some smutty romcom, have you read any of these?:

• Monster Musume
  • Oddman 11
  • Yuricam
  • Tsugumomo
  • Do you Like Big Girls?
  • Minamoto-kun Monogatari
  • My Balls

Nightbird

Since i'm holding the second Volume in my Hand right now (the first one arrives in two days :( ), i can tell you immediatly.

The Volumes seems to have pretty high Quality. I don't know if it's because it's from Tokyopop, but from other Manga i've read you didn't got the impression that the back of the book was pretty sturdy despite not being hardcover.

Also a neat little thing is how the Faces on the Cover actually stick out- wich means you can feel them. It's not necessary to do something like that, but i thought it was pretty cool.

AZbaQZu.png

That is the face of a man who gives zero fucks about hax eyes.

Chou's delusions are so good.

wYB5xCt.png

I'm actually going to be sad when her and Salad won't be on the same team in the movie.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Naruto's like "lol sharingan I have multiple god modes"

chocho needs to stop hanging around obvious zetsu clone

LeleSocho

Banned
AZbaQZu.png

That is the face of a man who gives zero fucks about hax eyes.

Naruto's like "lol sharingan I have multiple god modes"

Naruto is like the anti-eyepower shinobi.
His master had a Sharingan, his teammate had a Sharingan, he beat the crap of a Byakugan user, he trained for three years with one of the strongest ninja alive to beat a man with Sharingans, he beat the crap out of a Rinnegan user, he beat a bunch of people that had a Sharingan and a Rinnegan, he's being acknowledged by the master of Rinnegan and father of Sharingans then beat his mother, tied a battle with a person that had the fully powered and unlocked Rinnegan and in the end he has married a girl with Byakugan.

I don't think there a shinobi that knows more about eyes than Naruto.

bobohoro

Since i'm holding the second Volume in my Hand right now (the first one arrives in two days :( ), i can tell you immediatly.

The Volumes seems to have pretty high Quality. I don't know if it's because it's from Tokyopop, but from other Manga i've read you didn't got the impression that the back of the book was pretty sturdy despite not being hardcover.

Also a neat little thing is how the Faces on the Cover actually stick out- wich means you can feel them. It's not necessary to do something like that, but i thought it was pretty cool.

Thanks! Will probably get Volume 1 with my next patch of LNs/Manga then and take it from there. Seems like Tokyopop will publish Volume 13 around the end of the year, so I've ample time to complete the series until then. :D

The French Edition of Punpun is quite good, in case you're interested.

I can only read French if I have a dictionary by my side, which isn't quite so comfy, although it would at least fit next to my two tomes of Solanin. Thinking back, it was kinda a missed opportunity 10 years back when I studied French in school, since I wasn't too big on Manga then and mostly watched Anime. Knowing that it would offer me more chances at reading official stuff would have been a good incentive to really get into the language. I blame my teacher. Nowadays I don't really have the drive to learn another language, and if I ever get around it, I'd probably go straight for Japanese.

As for the ending, and the way things are presented overall, I'd say it's because events are unfolded rather realistically, even if the presentation can be surreal. As such, you don't really get dramatic reveals or last minute miracles. Only the sense of futility and inevitability that comes as consequences from one's actions. I think that's part of what makes Punpun great.

I think futility hits the nail pretty much on the head. Punpun struggled, he gave up, he fought, he hurt and was hurt and in the end lost everything, even his right to die and be forgotten. This is further illustrated by Yuiichi's kid inheriting a glimmer of the family insanity, Harumi struggling to be normal and the repetition of everything with the next generation. Really, the last chapter was dull but also depressingly beautiful and filled with meaning.

Monster Musume

Yay.

Monster Musume 1-7

This is better. Drinking tea, eating cookies and watching as halfnaked Lamiagirls shed their skin erotically. Forget the depressing stuff, this is what life should be about, having a harem of monster girls.

zZrCpOo.png

Furyous

Kubera

So, THAT'S why Asha doesn't have long to live. What is Hoti Marut and was it important? If Kubera sits down at that meeting then Asha is killed, right? Anywhoo, Kubera lost her trademark pigtails and I'm pissed. The Sword of Re better calm her down because she looks not happy.

Nisekoi Raw Spoiler

http://i.imgur.com/05lC5ot.jpg

I swear to fuckin God
if Komi kills off Marika I'm fuckin done. She's pretty much the only good thing about this manga.
I swear he wouldn't dare.

Welp Y-san is gonna go berserker if this happens. Komi better watch out for his life.😌

lol at that spoiler pic even if it isn't what you guys are implying and rather instead
it is some lewd scene
that Raku
smile is too creepy

Arabesque

Thank you so much for all that!

No problem :)

It would be pretty damn awesome if you could find those as well.

About those, since the Attack on Titan Junior High release is actually an Omnibus release (which left me confused where 8 chapters were missing between volumes 1 and 2 for a good while) I'm getting in touch with someone to see if they could give me those ToC. I have the ones from the iTunes Store, but since they are missing a volume in between, they wouldn't be that useful...

Battle Angle Alita volumes sadly are beyond my internet skills. I'll try and find out if someone I know has them, but I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Nisekoi Raw Spoiler

I swear to fuckin God
if Komi kills off Marika I'm fuckin done. She's pretty much the only good thing about this manga.

Welp Y-san is gonna go berserker if this happens. Komi better watch out for his life.😌

Like I said in regards to last chapter
Marika's will most likely die near the end of the series. Not at the moment since obviously Nisekoi still has more to cover, but Marika's death has been set in stone for a while now. We always knew she was sickly, we had more than enough hints about her being the promised girl and we certainly seen how determined she was to be with Raku and following Mikage's visit, it is clear she's more or less acting like someone who has been on death parole and trying her best to fulfil some sort of wish.

Plus it fits nicely with the story from 10 years ago.

Like I said, Y-san will learn to deal and start worshiping the great
Marika
in the sky. Or he can do the same thing the Akashi fans did and become a dark cultist and attempt to resurrect
her
through necromancy.

lol at that spoiler pic even if it isn't what you guys are implying and rather instead
it is some lewd scene

Full context is needed of course, but Nisekoi in general doesn't do scenes of these nature now.

Usobuko

Banned

It went straight into my favourites after Akio resurface in his life.

The use of a poorly-drawn bird who never speak directly as imagery was brilliant and utilise the strengths of this medium. But if you disregard this and assume Punpun character designs was normalize instead, I would still love it.

I finally ordered The Ancient Magus Bride on Amazon. I really can't wait to read it especially since the art looks so magnificent and magical and makes it look really unique compared to other manga. I really don't know how to explain it but the atmosphere seems so fluid and creative.

Zweizer

Banned
I can only read French if I have a dictionary by my side, which isn't quite so comfy, although it would at least fit next to my two tomes of Solanin. Thinking back, it was kinda a missed opportunity 10 years back when I studied French in school, since I wasn't too big on Manga then and mostly watched Anime. Knowing that it would offer me more chances at reading official stuff would have been a good incentive to really get into the language. I blame my teacher. Nowadays I don't really have the drive to learn another language, and if I ever get around it, I'd probably go straight for Japanese.

France and Italy get so many good series~
(But yes, if you plan to learn a new language from scratch, Japanese would be my recommendation as well.)

I think futility hits the nail pretty much on the head. Punpun struggled, he gave up, he fought, he hurt and was hurt and in the end lost everything, even his right to die and be forgotten. This is further illustrated by Yuiichi's kid inheriting a glimmer of the family insanity, Harumi struggling to be normal and the repetition of everything with the next generation. Really, the last chapter was dull but also depressingly beautiful and filled with meaning.

Such is life. The interview I liked earlier does give Asano's own thoughts about the ending, if it interests you.

Yay.

Monster Musume 1-7

This is better. Drinking tea, eating cookies and watching as halfnaked Lamiagirls shed their skin erotically. Forget the depressing stuff, this is what life should be about, having a harem of monster girls.

Let smut embrace you~

Nisekoi Raw Spoiler

I swear to fuckin God

this series is going in a vastly different direction than anyone could ever expected

still haven't become kingdom hearts battle shounen yet though

Naruto Gaiden 3
Naruto is so cool now.
But Chou-Chou is the real star
Also that thing looked like it was leftover from the Juubi

One Piece 786
YES SABO IS GOING TO FIGHT AGAIN
I guess the rest of the Blackbeard crew is going around stealing devil fruit too
also I really want to see Luffy's final devastating attack.

Bleach 626

weird

Zweizer

Banned
Nana to Kaoru ch131

Can't escape his true calling.

Mainichi no Tomodachi (One-shot) by Sasada Asuka

Cute shoujo ai story about the friendship between two girls, and hair.

Erigu

the Attack on Titan Junior High release is actually an Omnibus release
Oh, right: several tables of contents, so... I noticed that with their Genshiken Omnibus releases as well. Damnit.

I'm getting in touch with someone to see if they could give me those ToC.
[...]
Battle Angle Alita volumes sadly are beyond my internet skills. I'll try and find out if someone I know has them, but I wouldn't hold out much hope.
That would be great.
Either way, thank you again for taking the time to do all this! Some of that stuff had been annoying me for months/years.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Why do people think she's dying judging by that pic? It could be anything. Unless someone understand that japanese text...

Marika will always be a joke character. If her personality is supposed to be her best asset, she's already beat big time by Yui lol.

Yui will forever be irrelevant, plus her personality is pretty shit. She doesn't have the true abilities of a troll.

Also I find it funny how people say Marika is a joke character when pretty much every female in the series is a total joke, except Ruri. I mean Shitoge was established as a best friend lol and Onodera is a shitty character who can't even do anything. At least Marika knows what she wants and actually aggressively goes for it unlike the other females.

Y-san truly knows who the best girl is.😎

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom