• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

LuuKyK

This is pretty crazy and amazing at the same time:

On number of characters by game's end:

I think they game may last forever, since the dev team is very dedicated and very efficient + Marvel is really supportive + the backing of the company is very strong + the license is incredible.

So, at least 100+ Heroes and 200+ Team-Ups would be very easily forseeable.

Considering each hero is roughly equal to a class in other ARPGs, that is a huge amount of options for players.

Also, just for reference, some other characters I saw confirmed on the AMA thing for the future are: Spider-Woman, Wasp, Polaris and Dazzler (the last two apparently are only "possibilities" right now).

Blank!

Rogue has been confirmed for a while. There's a 99% chance she is part of the Advanced Pack heroes.

Got the event artifact:

xNAVrFW.png

OK I guess.

Got it as well. Hate it. Dropped from a party chest that someone dropped near my level 1 squirrel girl so I stuck it on her. I've also got 3 fireworks artifacts for 3 of my heroes too just eating space in my inventory. These things need to be account bound, not hero bound.

Random thoughts on drops so far:

I ran from mid chapter 7 thru chapter 9 (skipping Doom since I killed him already) on Heroic and I got 3 rune drops. Granted, they were all low tier runes that's equal to the number of runes I've received in non x-defense mode content since they've been introduced. Hardly a huge sample size or anything, just thought that was funny.

Ran x-defense twice, got 1 rune for my squirrel girl (up to wave 14?) and 2 for my Thor (wave 13?), one of which was a Ymir. On the Thor run, I also got a cosmic in every slot sans armor (which already had a cosmic). I had a rarity potion going from pre-patch Hawkeye completing that chapter 2 taskmaster mission.

Cosmic terminals are dropping cosmics as well. Did ~5 or 6 with my Thing and a cosmic dropped either from the boss/end chest every single time except the one. None of them were good, but they were dropping! No rings, no cosmic medallions. No uniques but it was raining yellow.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Also, just for reference, some other characters I saw confirmed on the AMA thing for the future are: Spider-Woman, Galactus, Thanos, Super-Skrull, Omega Red, ABSORBING MAN, Wasp, Polaris and Dazzler (the last two apparently are only "possibilities" right now).

All those villains were bosses not characters (as in playable)

GManDH

[–]Creative DirectorDoomsaw-Gazillion 2 points 3 hours ago

We will have a dual spec system coming up soon.

We haven't started dev work on a gear setup system, but we may think about it for the future as a slightly lower priority.

VERY HAPPY

Vecks

Just had a pretty good haul from a run of x-def. Reached wave 24, got 4 runes, 3 cosmics and 2 uniques. Not sure if it's my imagination, but I feel like x-def is easier in the lvl 50's than at 60.

Wallach

Just had a pretty good haul from a run of x-def. Reached wave 24, got 4 runes, 3 cosmics and 2 uniques. Not sure if it's my imagination, but I feel like x-def is easier in the lvl 50's than at 60.

It is. The 60 version is balanced against a much higher assumed level of gear so as to be more relevant to max level players on average.

Vecks

Ah, that makes sense. No huge level bracket, or locked gear slots, etc. I guess that means none of my level 60's are quite prepared for it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Flash and grab grabbing bosses was so obviously not intended, yet people freak out when it's changed... Have people never played any game at all before? Hint: if something seems too good, it probably is and it will get fixed (reminds me if steam sale price errors lol)

Edit: I also think his teleport is broken and will get nerfed, can't wait for the outrage on that

Also, just for reference, some other characters I saw confirmed on the AMA thing for the future are: Spider-Woman, Wasp, Polaris and Dazzler (the last two apparently are only "possibilities" right now).

Thats really good to see. As much as I love the game, I had worries that the game might bot be able to sustain itself for long.

I'm imagining how overwhelmed I'd be if I only started playing when/if it gets over 100 characters.

Wallach

Flash and grab grabbing bosses was so obviously not intended, yet people freak out when it's changed... Have people never played any game at all before? Hint: if something seems too good, it probably is and it will get fixed (reminds me if steam sale price errors lol)

Edit: I also think his teleport is broken and will get nerfed, can't wait for the outrage on that

What do you believe is broken about his regular teleport?

Rhaknar

What do you believe is broken about his regular teleport?

Too fast, covers too much ground. You can blitz through zones faster than any character, so fast that the camera doesn't even keep up.

This is the part where you say that's how all teleports work and I laugh at characters with no teleports in that case :p

Someone that used crawler and witch/cable tell me if I'm crazy thinking Kurt's teleport is faster/covers more ground

Wallach

Too fast, covers too much ground. You can blitz through zones faster than any character, so fast that the camera doesn't even keep up.

This is the part where you say that's how all teleports work and I laugh at characters with no teleports in that case :p

Someone that used crawler and witch/cable tell me if I'm crazy thinking Kurt's teleport is faster/covers more ground

As far as I know, in terms of movement it is the same as Deadpool/Cable; those three are better than Scarlet Witch/Loki who have range restrictions due to secondary mechanics.

KePoW

Banned
NC's teleport does feel faster than DP/Cable to me, but maybe it's just a feeling thing and not reality.

I don't think it's broken even if it is.

Rhaknar

NC's teleport does feel faster than DP/Cable to me, but maybe it's just a feeling thing and not reality.

I don't think it's broken even if it is.

I play fast and loose with the word broken to be fair. I also think jean's fire aura thing is broken, at least early on. It's deffinately funny that's for sure :p

edit: Ghost Rider 60 and Superheroic Loki 1 shot... surprisingly, because I remember having a hard time and dying a bit on him with GR on normal or heroic, I think heroic

I guess if anyone should be broken it should be the person possessed by the Phoenix force...

What's the deal with this team-ups thing that was mentioned in the ama?

Rhaknar

so been playing a bit of Loki this morning (got the bundle) and I have...mixed feelings.

First of all, Lady Look costume is awesome and I love it, the voice actress is probably my favorite so far, and the costume itself just looks great. No regrets there.

Now for Loki himself... mind you, what Im about to say is most likely blasphemy / wrong, but thats how im feeling so far and how I want to play him.

So basically, he feels like a shittier Rocket so far :/ I want to make a illusion build, but the illusions seem to hit worse than Rocket`s turrets (and you cant have different kinds out), they last very little unlike the turrets, so I need to resummon them all the time which destroys my spirit, leaving me almost afraid to use a spirit spender (in this case bouncing bolt) because of it. Also theres no giant Groot walking around punching shit to make up for it either.

On the flashiness side Im also a bit disapointed. The illusions themselves look great, and so does flying (which is useless with the teleport), but bouncing bolt you can barely see (unlike cyclops for example which is all over the screen) and the bubble shield disapears after you pop it on (wtf why it should stay all the time, the graphic I mean).

I am still early on, only 16, and Im sure hes better with a ice or sorcery build or something, but thats not how I wanted to play him, Im going to play strange, storm, scarlet as mage-style heroes, not Loki. Oh well, hopefully it gets better with some more spirit and some later spells. I do like how you can put the range illusions whereever you want as opposed to the rocket turrets where you have to drop them where you are.

Any tips for a illusion heavy spec are welcome btw

edit: Ive been using the range basic, range stationary illusions, bouncing bolt, the pet dmg/duration passive, the spirit and power duration passive (which I now learned doesnt affect summons so i need to spec out of it) and the bubble shield. Maybe a melee illusion build is better with spatial deception as a basic and a illusion summoner instead of the range basic and range "turrets"?

LuuKyK

I guess if anyone should be broken it should be the person possessed by the Phoenix force...

What's the deal with this team-ups thing that was mentioned in the ama?

Its a new gameplay mechanic they have yet to introduce. From what people said here these team-ups would basically be secondary characters that you could summon, like minions (not sure if they help fight or not though).

Edit: Here is a long description of it from Doomsaw's AMA:

From the AMA:

Team-Ups are a pretty big deal for many reasons, but mainly this reason: Team-Ups allow us to add heroes to the game early that may be years away from getting their own playable version. When designing team ups, we are looking at all of the games that have any similar mechanic and combining what we think are the best element of each to form the most fun "Team Up" system seen in an RPG. That's our goal.

Some specific teasers: The first team ups will be Spider-Man (he is the iconic Marvel Team Ups hero and started the entire concept in comics) along with 1-2 Captain America team-ups to coincide with the Winter Soldier movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Team-Up

Other team ups will be heroes who have iconically teamed up in Marvel lore, including big names like Wolverine and obscure characters like Bob, Agent of Hydra and Beta Ray Bill. As you can see, being a team up hero also means you can be a full playable hero one day. They are not mutually exclusive.

Team Up Heroes will be available on the splinter vendor, Gs and potentially for certain flavorful achievements/accomplishments in the future.

Team Ups will be able to carry 20+ inventory slots (could be as much as 30 depending on UI space) and can carry almost any type of item as an extra portable stash.

Team Ups will have 4 item slots for gear, to allow you to personalize them.

Team Ups will have their own powers (just a few).

Team Ups will have their own dedicated slot (to the left of Team Insignias) and provide a passive benefit while not in play. There is a cooldown for how often they can be brought in which can be modified through their talent and the gear you give them.

Team Ups are fairly expensive for us to build, but they can add a lot of flavor and variety to the game and we'll try to release at least one a month. They will allow us to support stuff like the Guardians of the Galaxy movie without making a full playable hero for every member. They also set the groundwork for new heroes by allowing us to create their in-game model, which is a step closer to getting the full hero complete.

If you don't like the idea of having a team up in play, you can opt for the passive benefit instead and spec/gear your team up to give comlpetely passive buffs to you. You are not forced to play with a team up being called in periodically.

Team-Ups will be a new item type.

http://forums.marvelheroes.com/disc...e-hopefully-on-march-28th-moon-knight-2-weeks

Rhaknar

as a pet lover (in games and in RL lol) team-ups sound awesome.

Speaking of pet, changed my Loki around a bit, doing a melee/tanky (well, as much tanky as loki can be I guess) with summons. the 2 summon spells that illusions and do damage are cool, especially the one that sends them crashing down on mobs.

so at the moment I switched to the melee basic that buffs illusions dmg, the one that sends illusions forward in a dash, the one that sends them crashing down, the illusion dmg/duration passive, the health/defense passive and I changed to frost armor for life leech and more defense.

Feels better and Im enjoying him (her?) more.I Still want to combine a range spec with the dash illusion and death from above illusion, but my problem with that is:

A) a range spec wouldnt use the melee basic that buffs them, nor does the range turret illusion benefit from it

B) the dash/death from above moves summon non-range illusions, which wouldnt have the buff from the melee basic (because I wouldnt take it)

C) there is no good big range nuke. bouncing is useless against single target and the 2 dots are...well, dots.

To be continued after some more testing and investigating I guess

Vecks

Gifts seemed to be bugged today. Haven't gotten anything yet.

Hi all, an update on this issue. It seems that if you logged in prior to the fix, it is not letting us grant you the fixed gift.

We are working on this issue and we should be able to automatically grant you the gift to your account if you logged in prior to the fix. This may take a few hours, but we are working on it!

That's what I get for being hasty.

KePoW

Banned
so been playing a bit of Loki this morning (got the bundle) and I have...mixed feelings.

First of all, Lady Look costume is awesome and I love it, the voice actress is probably my favorite so far, and the costume itself just looks great. No regrets there.

Now for Loki himself... mind you, what Im about to say is most likely blasphemy / wrong, but thats how im feeling so far and how I want to play him.

So basically, he feels like a shittier Rocket so far :/ I want to make a illusion build, but the illusions seem to hit worse than Rocket`s turrets (and you cant have different kinds out), they last very little unlike the turrets, so I need to resummon them all the time which destroys my spirit, leaving me almost afraid to use a spirit spender (in this case bouncing bolt) because of it. Also theres no giant Groot walking around punching shit to make up for it either.

On the flashiness side Im also a bit disapointed. The illusions themselves look great, and so does flying (which is useless with the teleport), but bouncing bolt you can barely see (unlike cyclops for example which is all over the screen) and the bubble shield disapears after you pop it on (wtf why it should stay all the time, the graphic I mean).

I am still early on, only 16, and Im sure hes better with a ice or sorcery build or something, but thats not how I wanted to play him, Im going to play strange, storm, scarlet as mage-style heroes, not Loki. Oh well, hopefully it gets better with some more spirit and some later spells. I do like how you can put the range illusions whereever you want as opposed to the rocket turrets where you have to drop them where you are.

Any tips for a illusion heavy spec are welcome btw

edit: Ive been using the range basic, range stationary illusions, bouncing bolt, the pet dmg/duration passive, the spirit and power duration passive (which I now learned doesnt affect summons so i need to spec out of it) and the bubble shield. Maybe a melee illusion build is better with spatial deception as a basic and a illusion summoner instead of the range basic and range "turrets"?

You're not gonna like hearing this, but I tried every power on Loki at least once. (not totally extensively, but at least 1 point in each)

I came to the conclusion that the easiest way to level my Loki was just Bouncing Bolt, and that's what I ended up using 95% of the time to 60. Oh also, I used the signature power on cooldown whenever needed, it does a shitload of damage.

But otherwise it was just Bouncing Bolt.

I finally have reached Level 60 with my main, Loki.
Next step: Get somebody else to 60 so I can prestige Loki. I'm probably going to do that with Dr. Strange once he's out, cause I am fairly certain he's gonna be the competition to become my main. :D

Edit: Yeah, Bouncing Bolt and also Arcane Ruin (I think it was called, the green cloud of doom) are my favorite spells to use and complement the damage of the illusions. Bouncing Bolt makes it really damn easy to just murder all the random cronies running around, it only doesn't work well on blue/gold elites and bosses, unless there's more than one there at once.
Bouncing Bolt can hit multiple times as long as there is more than 2 valid targets, so it can bounce between 2 enemies multiple times, which can be pretty devastating.

Rhaknar

yeah i lost count of the amount of mk1 cards ive opened between cube shards and drops, always crap

back to Loki, his signature seems really strong, but I hate putting points into a 1min cd :/ only have 1 atm

edit: after finishing normal on loki and getting him to 31 I decided to try a bit of Thing since I love Hulk and just big brawlers in general in this game (which is bizarre as I usually hate melee) and HOLY SHIT he needs a review bad. Im shocked hes not one of the first ones to get one, he is lacking severely in skills. Im actually enjoying him, in a shitty-hulk kind of way, but damn... barely any choices, his attacks are boring as crap, his damage is atrocious (to be fair im going full tank, but even colossus and hulk I went tank and I still did decent dmg), and he seems to be the king of 1 point wonders. I mean, is there any point in putting more than 1 in his rock skin thing? it always gives 25% dmg reduction, and it has no cooldown so you can just reapply whenever the bar is gone. Sam oes for his 75% channeled dmg reduction, why would you ever put more points in it, 75% seems like overkill as it is... man, he needs the review bad in my opinion.

I also need to get the leap fast so its at least more fun. Oh and im having huge spirit problems, but that seems to be the norm with every new hero so Ill let that one slide

I really wish the costumes in the valentines Uncanny Romance bundle weren't all shit.

I just got that Wolvie DoFP costume and was planning to pick him up the next time there was a sale. The bundle is tempting but I want absolutely none of those costumes. And I already own Jean!

Rhaknar

*sigh* I crafted a costume, and it turned out to be the same exact costume I had crafted last time.

well I just crafted Black Widow default costume... beat that

big fucking SIGH. and the first unique I get on thing is a dupe that I already got from another hero souble sigh. not a good day :p

inky

Holy crap how you got so many splinters?? You already have every hero and don't need to spend them anymore?

I'm still missing 5 of the 400 splinter heroes. I just don't spend them until I'm ready to play a new one. I should be getting Cable and Colossus soon.

Rhaknar

bought Deadpool, really enjoying him, everyone says hes shit but im digging him. Dmg seems nice, well, especially after coming from Thing. Going with a range tree so far, I love the grenade, does sick damage, as does the basic actually (using the 40% to elites one).

Costumes wise, disapointed in Lady Deadpool, just not feeling her voice. Surprised at how much im liking pirate costume tho, even if its silly and non canon (then again what is canon with Deadpool). I hate the gun sounds of the pirate costume tho :(

Actually looking forward to trying a melee tree aswell, I like the sword animations. So, yeah, great first impression for me :)

I kind of want deadpool eventually, but there are too many other characters I want to play first. It doesn't help that I have his maskless costume sitting in my stash taking up space.

Rhaknar

guys Im REALLY not liking lady deadpool... I think Im going to have to anger the RNG gods and toss it in the blender tbh, I just dont see myself ever using it. I know I know its enhanced and worth 20 bucks etc, but...yeah... it goes in the blender next time, im sorry!

RNG gods are already pissed at me anyway, why else would they give me black widow default last time >_>

inky

Seriously. He got 2 enhanced ones in about, how many? 10 tries? Dat gambling addiction :p

I will keep every new costume and only craft with basics or repeats. I will never own them all, but I'd like to have a small collection either way, even teh fugly ones.

KePoW

Banned
Lady DP is awesome, that's what I use all the time. She has some hilarious lines that you won't necessarily hear over some time.

KePoW

Banned
I will keep every new costume and only craft with basics or repeats. I will never own them all, but I'd like to have a small collection either way, even teh fugly ones.

This is exactly how I feel. I keep every non-repeat costume, I like to collect them just in case.

Rhaknar

Seriously. He got 2 enhanced ones in about, how many? 10 tries? Dat gambling addiction :p

I only ever intend on using 1 costume per character, unless its a enhanced that changes drastically (and I like it). And unless the internal RNG chances on enhanced costumes being lower than others on the crafter (I doubt it) I still dont consider myself any luckier for getting the 2 enhanced ones. Especially now that Lady Deadpool is fucking terrible.

When I finally get a costume I wanted I will consider myself lucky. Which will never happen because ill end up buying all the ones I want anyway lol

This is exactly how I feel. I keep every non-repeat costume, I like to collect them just in case.

in case of what? not judging, just curious. In case you want to use it? Im only tossing costumes that I dont like and would never use, it just happens that those are 90% of the default ones, and 95% of the ones i crafted

KePoW

Banned
In case I ever want to use them, I like to switch around. I play a different hero every day or two, and I switch costumes maybe every week or two.

Rhaknar

In case I ever want to use them, I like to switch around. I play a different hero every day or two, and I switch costumes maybe every week or two.

fair enough, to each its own :)

Pirate enhanced still has some regular deadpool lines, not sure how I feel about that.

edit: oh something Im wondering. This taunt lil´deadpool is amazing in normal, but I assume in higher levels bosses cant be taunted? Because right now I can keep bosses basically perma-taunted with the dummy since it has no cooldown and just shoot them in the meantime. I never really used taunt arrow on Hawkeye so Im not sure

inky

I only ever intend on using 1 costume per character, unless its a enhanced that changes drastically (and I like it).

Well, for me (considering dual specs are coming soon) I'd like to have different costumes to fit different specs, so keeping extra costumes makes it a bit easier. As an example, my Thor's Destroyer costume has only defensive stats, while my Marvel NOW Thor has a life leech core and offensive stats. My battle Armor Thor has some other affixes, etc. It gives me a reason to switch them around, and I can keep, switch out and not overwrite my life leech cores now that they are considered rare.

And unless the internal RNG chances on enhanced costumes being lower than others on the crafter (I doubt it) I still dont consider myself any luckier for getting the 2 enhanced ones. Especially now that Lady Deadpool is fucking terrible.

I know what you mean. Individually, each costume has the same chance to be crafted every time (I think Chase Costumes don't, but I can't remember), but if you take the costume pool as a whole, there are less enhanced costumes overall, so the chance of getting a normal vs and enhanced is indeed much higher. Of course it doesn't matter if the only metric you are using is 1 costume per character, and only costume you like vs ones you don't, which is your preference and is fair enough,

Obviously it is different to me, and I see no harm in keeping the rest.

Rhaknar

So I just realised that Deadpool is basically Hawkeye...well, a much better Hawkeye. Stinkbobm / Lil Deadpool is basically taunt arrow/poison arrow. Except deadpool can teleport and has the sick healing factor, and Hawkeye just...dies.

Im not saying this in a "lol all heroes are the same" way, the game has 29 heroes atm, on its way to having almost 50 this year, OF COURSE some/alot will be similar. It just suddenly "clicked" when I was doing midtown

Also, people love those dummies dont they? I throw them around all the time in XDEF and peeps just scurry around getting them imediatly lol. I should put points into it

Ploid 3.0

The dummies are great buffs. I throw them out and collect them myself, and I also put a lot of points in them. Never underestimate Powerups.

Top Bottom