• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

KePoW

Banned
After 3 horrible random costume crafts in a row, I finally got something I wanted.

YCE0uMQ.jpg

Sweet score!!!

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
new MM like mode coming soon

Hope you guys like the new Midtown-like mode when it comes out as much.

We're trying a few new things with it, some of which came from suggestions from the community.

It will be like Midtown in that it takes elements from existing maps and repurposes them on a new map. Difficulty is targeted to be harder than Midtown, and events will encompass a larger part of the map. (Probably a lower number of different events, however - multi-phase zone-wide events are, oddly, a lot more labor-intensive to build ...)

Alongside this are some very fundamental changes under the hood techwise to improve performance, which is part of the reason we aren't making a public ETA at this time - we have to see what works, what doesn't, and tech like this often takes some internal iterations of its own to shake out all the code and data issues.

We'll also probably shift some of the mob types currently in Midtown to this new map, which should make legendary hunting easier.

After 3 horrible random costume crafts in a row, I finally got something I wanted.

YCE0uMQ.jpg

Nice one. I got Night Crawlers alternate outfit last time I used the blender. I was pretty happy with that.
Also, I love Midtown so a new variation of that would be great.
I find Midtown to be the best place to go, when I want to relax.

Blank!

Was an good day for uniques. Managed to get my final unique for Cyclops (his boots). Now I'm trying to decide what unique to NOT use as they all give way too many +optics and I've got around +25 or 26 to the tree.

I'm thinking boots but my only other option is hydra repulsor boots with crappy rolls (low crit/health). Could reroll them but meh... not sure how significant an upgrade they'd be, and I'd still be way over the +skill limit for optics.

Also debating the helm. Think if I got a good cosmic with a might proc I'd make the switch too. The might proc would just be slightly less optimal than the always on 8%/damage rating but I could get more crit rating and crit damage, maybe even some health too. Really wish there were more skills outside of the optics tree to be worth investing in.

Also, Cerebro interface finally. Now I have the Darkhold/Dr Ock Arms/Cerebro combo for my scarlet witch but I might wait for stat rework before equipping it. I just have a really great slot 5 cosmic I'd hate to put away.

LuuKyK

So I was reading the forums and discovered that at least two (including TheDink who is making Invisible Woman and Psylocke) Gaz employees came from the dev team of City of Heroes.

Funny to hear that considering I used to play that game a lot before the servers were closed. It was a fun game. The character creation possibilities were insane. :(

Good to see that some people from there are also working on MH. Lets just hope both games don't share the same future though. x_x

YCE0uMQ.jpg

Dude, thats crazy good.

Sweet score!!!

Were you drunk earlier today? The fuck were those messages on steam? lmao

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I really should craft costumes BEFORE buying new ones shouldnt I >_>

anyway, Marvel Now hulk is awesome

edit: by the time I get back to Marvel fully, presumably after im done with Dark Souls 2, im going to have lots of fresh heroes to level, should be good. Still havent finished Strange and Tasky, plus Sue and Widow(review) end of the month, and depending on how long I spent with DS2, Psylocke and whichever the may review is, Wolverine right? Hopefully some new game mode aswell to change things up

inky

It's been like a week and I'm having withdrawals with this game, LOL.
I'm not an addict, I swear!
I don't know if my lap would run this, I don't think so, but I don't want to download 15GBs to find out. Oh well, just a few more weeks.

If you didn't know already, officers can change the message of the day with the command "/motd" in-game. It's a good way of informing others about codes and stuff.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Crafted 2 random costumes with a bunch of stuff I wasn't using anyway. First one: Wolverine Patch. meh, back in the blender it went. Second one: Kate Bishop! Pretty sweet. Hawkeye was only around level 35, so a decent reason to level her up.

LuuKyK

God. That Future Foundation costume looks amazing. Seriously considering preordering her. I like this alt costume and I really need a new stash tab. I would buy her with splinters but I have 400 already saved for Psylocke and I am not wasting those at all.

And holy wow they did an amazing job with her face and in-game model in general. Look at this:

ObYgH8l.png

I especially love the purple snake-skin effect of her classic outfit.

Why did I not know about this game until NOW!? I'm so in a bit later, I need me some Marvel!

Welcome. Hope you enjoy the game as much as we do. :)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
are team ups very frail? my spidey kept dying when I was doing some XDEF yesterday on Taskmaster around level 22

LuuKyK

Can anyone help me with something? Question:

How does buying from the website work? It automatically activates purchases in-game even if I have the game on Steam? Or I have to buy it by adding steam currency or something? I want to preorder IW. Can I just buy it on their website?

are team ups very frail? my spidey kept dying when I was doing some XDEF yesterday on Taskmaster around level 22

People are reporting they are very frail on harder stages/bosses indeed. But I can't say for myself since I don't own any of them.

Vecks

Can anyone help me with something? Question:

How does buying from the website work? It automatically activates purchases in-game even if I have the game on Steam? Or I have to buy it by adding steam currency or something? I want to preorder IW. Can I just buy it on their website?

People are reporting they are very frail on harder stages/bosses indeed. But I can't say for myself since I don't own any of them.

You can buy from the website. It doesn't matter what client you use.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Female characters in this game have come a long way, specifically. All-New Jean and Sue have blown me away. Strange looks good too tho, gotta give my boys props too.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Be sure to log in TODAY (saturday) for an easter basket with a guaranteed unique+lots of other loot.

For those who can't login today due to being away from their computers (like Inky), try PMing Doomsaw on the forums. The support team can get your account login bonus for you.

GManDH

so i got dragonfang for my unique, but i wanted a hero specific unique. it does look awesome, i think ill use it till i get the unique for this specific hero.

After playing for about an hour and realizing the mysterious eggs don't really drop that often, I don't think I want to play the amount of time required to get 50 of them. Oh well. That umbrella with the crit chance was awesome.

Rhaknar

Um, most PEOPLE are dying well before wave 22 in x-defense. I wouldn't expect team ups to fair any better.

I said level 22, not wave 22. As in my Taskmaster was 22

Boose

Going to try this out tomorrow sometime.

Quick question. I understand you don't have to pay cash to unlock more heroes but honestly how hard/tedious is it to unlock one?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
doomsaw interview plenty more on link

Is there anything specific you would like to tease?

Out alternate advancement system has been in development for quite some time. It's mainly inspired by EverQuest, with some inspiration from Borderlands. D3 developers did their version, but ours will be about four, maybe five times as rewarding, deep and fun. It will be in testing in May. We also have expanded the idea of group quests to server wide missions, which are 100% cleaner to implement. They should roll out by end of May, at least for testing.

Wolverine + motorcycle (60% chance).

Wasp Team-Up!

One-Year anniversary mega-celebration!!

Would there be some sort of rating / ladder / leaderboard system in Marvel Heroes? If yes, which game modes is it going to be used for?

There will be for PVP this year, for sure. We are also strongly considering it for achievements, prestige levels, X-defense and raids. Mainly just for bragging rights and pride. What’s up with Limbo and group challenges? Some people still remember your promises to get them revamped.

The Limbo revamp has slowly turned into an Endless Dungeon mode that is 40% complete. It's the most fun game mode I've seen and I can't wait for it to launch. Group Challenges are still on the drawing board, but will likely return will very similar mechanics as before including limited deaths and random bosses, but no difficulty escalation. They will be tough, but rewarding and will use the group finder technology.

Could you give more details of the upcoming item review? Which stats and item types are going to be changed? Will you introduce anything new? Some people are especially interested in the balance of legendaries and the effectiveness of stats like dodge and life on hit.
The number one priority of the item review is buffing the items that are not desirable for any build of any hero. The buff pass includes relics, Legendary items, some Unique items, artifacts, medallions and a few insignias.

The second priority is to fix any longstanding bugs with items. Certain very old items are just flat out using bugged calculations and are either overpowered or underpowered because of it.

For example, about 5 uniques are still buggy and not rolling high enough stats for Defense of Damage Rating. About 5 Uniques have the opposite problem and are bugged to roll twice the intended number.

Buffing the lower ones is easy. Nerfing the ones with double rolls is difficult because we hate anything that results in a nerf, so we take a longer time discussing each one and studying the impact on heroes performance. All of us play and many of us actually use the high-powered bugged items, so we understand the emotional impact it would have if we nerfed them by fixing bugged stat rolls.

In the end, I expect about 100 total buffs and about 5 very-carefully considered nerfs.

For future items, we have a longer review process to make sure nothing goes out with any kind of bug, so I don't foresee any problems after this big review is done.

One of the areas we have been focusing on lately has been melee itemization. You've noticed the new Kung Fu Training Sequence which is aimed directly at giving melee players more options. This review has a solid number of buffs for melee items as well.

Another area we've focuses on for the review are items for dual-damage heroes. Heroes like Widow, Panther, Ms Marvel will have many more options for items that support both of their damage types.

One of the things we always do in big reviews is identify the "bar" and bring up everything to hit that bar, rather than just nerfing a couple of things to be in line. This is 100 times more work, but we believe it's worth working a few weekends to buff things rather than nerf. The only time we really nerf is if something is completely ruining game mechanics and therefore making the game boring or unfair for 99% of players that don't have a specific item or power. It's still something that we hate to do and will only do it with no other alternative.

A good example is Gungnir. Most players who are math-savvy believed we would have to nerf Gungnir during the item review. However, Gungnir didn't have a bugged damage affix and wasn't actually breaking the game in any way, so we left Gungnir alone and worked on buffing every other Legendary item instead. It's a philosophy that just isn't used much by most developers so we want to set an example for games going forward. I've had friends from other companies express their appreciation for this attitude and may try using it for future games.

You asked about Dodge. In the old days, players had fifty percent or higher dodge and all enemies were tuned accordingly. The common complaint was that players could die in one or two seconds if they got an unlucky dodge roll or two. This was bad gameplay and extremely frustrating. We took the stat called Dodge and made it more of a deflection type mechanic, which cut damage in half (before other calculations which further reduced damage even more). Then we cut enemy damage by fifty percent, which resulted in a massive reduction of one shots and have dodge heroes a much easier time in tough fights.

A decent amount of players don't understand the change or don't agree with it philosophically, but it's been a huge improvement for the game and it will never be changed back to the old method of zero interaction deaths. We have considered changing the name of dodge for people who don't like the flavor and we've added "true dodge" to several heroes in the form of attack avoidance or missile avoidance.

As for life leech type effects, I think modern game designers have realized how unfair life leech can be if left with no maximum cap. With no maximum, you are essentially rewarding the glass cannon build with the highest sustain. You are essentially forcing or encouraging players to build for max dps and throw in one life leech source and never worry about death (assuming a minimum level of health so you aren't one-shot). This is pretty terrible for games and is extremely unfair for the players who don't want to build for a life leech strategy. Not to mention you have to balance the game around the high dps / life leech build which puts every other build at a disadvantage.

The best game design solution is to simply offer a wide variety of options that don't outscale content instantly and don't force one specific strategy, and that's exactly what we're doing. We have about 5 new cores in internal testing, so any type of player will have some option suitable for them. None of them will be a defining and powerful as a pure life leech / max dps build from the past.

The next focus for the items review is simply filling in itemization holes so everyone has options in very item category. This includes a Physical damage Legendary item, more artifacts to fill certain roles and several more important Any Hero uniques for players using non-standard builds.

Besides the item review, we have a long list of crafting and itemization options that will come in May and June as the tech becomes available.

http://horadric.ru/blog/crypto137/interview-doomsaw-april-2014

Moondrop

Banned
Quick question. I understand you don't have to pay cash to unlock more heroes but honestly how hard/tedious is it to unlock one?

It's said you get one unit of the currency (Eternity Splinters) every 8 minutes. The average hero costs 400 Splinters, therefore it should take you roughly 53 hours to earn a hero.

So I've got Cap to 60, and I thought now I can do some comparisons between my max heroes. Captain America ruled the Cosmic Shocker runs, due to a combination of survivability and mobility. But then Squirrel Girl dominated the training room boss dummy TTK, with Cap coming in last. My non-Phoenix Jean Grey was in the middle.

I can't wait for Squirrel Girl and Jean's balance passes, plus Magneto. I want to pick a primary character to devote my best stuff.

Vecks

Going to try this out tomorrow sometime.

Unlocking a specific one can take a while depending on how many splinters it is. Like moondrop said, you are pretty much guaranteed 1 splinter every 7-8 minutes. However, based off Special item find, there is a random chance for them to drop at any time. So you might get 2 in that time span occasionally. And there's a super rare chance to drop 10 at one time.

If you're first starting out, you get a one-time quest that gives you a 100 splinters for completing the prologue. I'm still not sure about this, but I think if you choose a cheaper starter, like Storm or Hawkeye, you can get an extra 100 for beating doom as well.

The average hero does cost 400, and while a few cost 600, there are heroes that cost 200 splinters. You can also try your luck with a random hero box at 175 splinters, if you're just looking to fill up your roster.

There are also special events on occasion where you can get heroes for free. There was one such code last month where you could get a free random 200 splinter hero token. And during... December I think, Marvel website was giving out Thor as a promotion.

ev0

Would you guys say the Easter rewards are worth it?

I only play this game sporadically, and I'm not even level 60 yet and can't use them.

Should I just spend these damn eggs on Ghost Boxes?

thanks!

Blank!

Would you guys say the Easter rewards are worth it?

I only play this game sporadically, and I'm not even level 60 yet and can't use them.

Should I just spend these damn eggs on Ghost Boxes?

thanks!

None of the uniques are what I consider great, but the slot 1 (Umbrella) has the most promise. But it's basically just a worse Dragonfang (but buyable so there's that). It does have rare item find which is pretty unique for a slot 1 if you were going to make a Rare Item build.

The slot 3 (mech rabbit) sucks. It's a bad cosmic with a potentially interesting -area damage affix but it comes in far too small an amount to really matter.

The slot 5 is also bad, but also has credit find on it which I think is also pretty unique to the slot. Could see use on a credit find gear setup but the 'up time' sucks compared to the cooldown so meh.

Vecks

Yeah, the umbrella seems the best of the bunch, but it doesn't really compare to the uniques I already have in slot 1. I've just been getting ghost boxes and portals. Gotten a fair amount of Odin marks from the boxes.

ev0

Cool thanks for the opinions guys. I'm, not even sure what weapon I'll have by the time I'm level 60, so I think I'll just go for boxes instead

I would like to upgrade my computer so everytime the effects start going nuts, my computer doesn't choke. This happens more in X defense with a Phoenix or two in play. I've already turned off most post processing options, motion blur, depth of field, and lower the number of object and shadow quality. I'm playing at 1920x1080

My current rig
CPU: Intel i7-3770
Ram: 12 gigs ddr 3 1600
Video card: Nvidia Geforce 660 oem with 2 gigs of 192 bit memory
Hard drive: 2 TB 7200 RPM + 32 gb SSD cache

My guess is the video card is the weak link in the chain.I'm thinking about maybe a Radeon R9 280 3gigs of 384-Bit memory.

Suggestions?

KePoW

Banned
I would like to upgrade my computer so everytime the effects start going nuts, my computer doesn't choke. This happens more in X defense with a Phoenix or two in play. I've already turned off most post processing options, motion blur, depth of field, and lower the number of object and shadow quality. I'm playing at 1920x1080

My current rig
CPU: Intel i7-3770
Ram: 12 gigs ddr 3 1600
Video card: Nvidia Geforce 660 oem with 2 gigs of 192 bit memory
Hard drive: 2 TB 7200 RPM + 32 gb SSD cache

My guess is the video card is the weak link in the chain.I'm thinking about maybe a Radeon R9 280 3gigs of 384-Bit memory.

Suggestions?

Your computer is perfectly fine, except the GPU. That's the only thing you need to upgrade for now.

I suggest a 680 or 780, both of those would be good. (I don't know anything about AMD GPUs)

Holy crap no. Your computer is fine. This game just is always on a pendulum between optimized in XDEF & Midtown and it becoming a slide show. You don't need to spend $400-600 on an upgrade to play Marvel Heroes.

If you want to drop that kind of money, it might make a difference. But more than likely you'll see the same hiccups. It's them, not you.

If you want to drop that kind of money, it might make a difference. But more than likely you'll see the same hiccups. It's them, not you.

This absolutely. it's poorly optimized and they said they're working on some under the hood performance stuff, so give them time and it might just get better anyway. It's hard to brute-force bad optimization.

KePoW

Banned
Holy crap no. Your computer is fine. This game just is always on a pendulum between optimized in XDEF & Midtown and it becoming a slide show. You don't need to spend $400-600 on an upgrade to play Marvel Heroes.

This absolutely. it's poorly optimized and they said they're working on some under the hood performance stuff, so give them time and it might just get better anyway. It's hard to brute-force bad optimization.

Well I guess it depends on what yall define as hiccups.

I have a 680 and even in the heaviest group fights, I'm in the 30s to 40s fps. I'm pretty sure with a 660 that would not be the case.

hiccups mean fluctuating between fps levels to a point where it is noticeable. I run MH at roughly 60 fps (at least before team-ups) and it slows down to 30 something at points. If you are frame-capped at 30 it's not really a big deal, but if you're mostly at 60 it's pretty noticeable when it drops.

Top Bottom