• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I just caught it at the last minute, I guess, a few hours ago. Got a Rocket Raccoon. Is he good?

He can be amazing. He's not the strongest, nor is he the most efficient...But with the right build, you won't die. Groot is a tank, and your turrets take ALL your heat. I plan to finish leveling mine eventually (he's 45 I think), and when I do - max Groot, pick the right turrets, and just hang back and go. He's probably one of the the best group based heroes in the game (decent solo, but really shines in group play because of his utilities).

My opinion, of course. ;)

i-dont-always-test-my-code-but-when-i-do-i-do-it-in-production_lightbox.jpg

Sums up the development philosophy for this game. I really wish they would slow down and properly regression test shit before releasing it.

Volimar

i-dont-always-test-my-code-but-when-i-do-i-do-it-in-production_lightbox.jpg

Sums up the development philosophy for this game. I really wish they would slow down and properly regression test shit before releasing it.

Really? I've played a lot of games that are mostly hot mess. Seriously, this game is Shangri La compared to a lot of the shit out there.

garath

Aww man. Why is Dr. Strange so expensive? I dug up some youtube videos and really like what I see then saw he's 600 splinters and/or $13.50 :(

Oh well. I'll stick with Gambit for now.

Really? I've played a lot of games that are mostly hot mess. Seriously, this game is Shangri La compared to a lot of the shit out there.

This patch seemed to break a lot of stuff. Gaz is just really bad with hard deadlines.

Which actually makes it kind of fitting that this happened in the anniversary patch, considering launch is the only other time I can really point to where things were a mess.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I got the black spidey team up too. I wonder if its secretly guaranteed for a limited time or we're just lucky

I can buy 1 card and check but Im 100% certain you were just lucky

edit: confirmed (of course), got a 1 hour RIF boost lol. never say I dont waste my Gs for science

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I can buy 1 card and check but Im 100% certain you were just lucky

edit: confirmed (of course), got a 1 hour RIF boost lol. never say I dont waste my Gs for science

Crap, was hoping it was a bug or something. Really would like to have that black Spidey team-up.I hate this fortune card crap.

I had this problem at first, but then I just started liberally using the Shift key for attacking normal enemies. I just swing and let them come to me for the most part. Heh

And when fighting bosses I tend to just hold down my basic so that my character always chases after them. I then just fire off movement and attack spells to keep pace.

The other issue imo is that most things are the same size as your hero including bosses since you mainly fight humanoid super villains. In other ARPGs you often fight large beast type mobs that have wider hit boxes as your primary enemy and bosses are always massive monstrosities. Left click is both attack and move in Diablo 3 and I never had that issue there, but can't stand it here and it makes me not like any melee character

Vecks

I love playing the melee characters in this game. Psylocke, Ms. Marvel and Black Widow are among my favorites. Maybe I'm just used to how it works here because I've been playing this game for almost 2 years.

Man, I feel like I spend more time at the crafter and in storage than actually leveling my characters
KuGsj.gif
. I'm an obsessive hoarder of gear and transform nearly all blues to purples and then transfer them to lower level character...I don't think I'll ever get to lvl 60 on any character at this rate.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Man, I feel like I spend more time at the crafter and in storage than actually leveling my characters
KuGsj.gif
. I'm an obsessive hoarder of gear and transform nearly all blues to purples and then transfer them to lower level character...I don't think I'll ever get to lvl 60 on any character at this rate.

That seems like an incredibly unnecessary/wasteful endeavor.

garath

KuGsj.gif

You can transform blues to purples? Man. There's still a lot I don't know about this game. Are these mechanics ever explained in game? Did I just miss a tutorial?

edit: Like what do all those orbs do? I've figured some of them out but the others...

Green - xp
blue - spirit
red - health
purple - ?
gold - ?
other colors - ?

Haha, dude... that's really not necessary

That seems like an incredibly unnecessary/wasteful endeavor.

You can transform blues to purples? Man. There's still a lot I don't know about this game. Are these mechanics ever explained in game? Did I just miss a tutorial?

I know its unnecessary, I really have to break my habit of it, I have like 4 chars with their own bag slots filled to the brim with purples that I've been recycling...though it seems like the newer stuff I'm picking up actually have better stats.

Also with Yellow gear, they are character specific right? I picked up like 2 low level pieces for SG and I've outleveled one piece. Is there any point in keeping it or should I just donate it?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

edit: Like what do all those orbs do? I've figured some of them out but the others...

Green - xp
blue - spirit
red - health
purple - ?
gold - ?
other colors - ?

purple is hp and spirit, I think. Gold is just mega-green, lots of xp
There are new light blue orbs that are Omega points

KePoW

Banned
I know its unnecessary, I really have to break my habit of it, I have like 4 chars with their own bag slots filled to the brim with purples that I've been recycling...though it seems like the newer stuff I'm picking up actually have better stats.

Also with Yellow gear, they are character specific right? I picked up like 2 low level pieces for SG and I've outleveled one piece. Is there any point in keeping it or should I just donate it?

There's no point in keeping any gear really, other than Uniques and Artifacts.

Green - xp
blue - spirit
red - health
purple - ?
gold - ?
other colors - ?

Green - XP
Gold - XP from Legendary Quests
Dark blue/Indigo - Spirit
Red - Health
Purple - Spirit and Health
Light blue/cyan - Omega XP

That's it, really.

And no, I don't think that upgrading items to their next rarity is part of any tutorial, as it required a leveled up crafter. You know how to donate items to crafters to level them up?

im dumping all my useless gear into the crafter right now - seems like a good idea, right?

Yes. Also, you can level your other vendors (Enchanter, Weapon, Gear; I recommend this order too, with crafter first)

This patch seemed to break a lot of stuff. Gaz is just really bad with hard deadlines.

Which actually makes it kind of fitting that this happened in the anniversary patch, considering launch is the only other time I can really point to where things were a mess.

I agree with Absoludacrous. I played this game since Beta and have done every piece of content at least once. The Beta and early release were a huge mess, but they cleared everything up and made it a really solid, enjoyable experience over the course of the weeks and months following. They added new modes and content, fine-tuned existing content, balanced and reviewed old heroes, etc.
I don't know why the 2015 patch decided to break a lot of things, but it's ironic given the fact that every other patch was an improvement over the release which was completely sloppy, and this anniversary patch is quite possibly the only time any patch was broken.

The only thing that was a little messed up occasionally was the numbers on some new heroes (particularly Gambit).

I mean, nothing was ever completely bug free, especially not games with constantly upgrading content like this one, but I think after the first month or 2, Marvel Heroes had become and incredibly enjoyable experience, and none of the patches felt like they weren't QA'd.

SirKhalid

There was apparently another code give away that everyone missed, yet somehow managed to get depleted in an hour: http://www.f2p.com/marvel-heroes-2015-random-hero-box-giveaway/

Yay.

Nah, I think the same as the one that was given this morning.

http://www.gameitems.com/get-your-marvel-heroes-2015-random-hero-box-free-givweaway-733.html

You can see that they were all listed.

Gazillion, publisher and developer of Marvel Heroes 2015 in collaboration with FreeMMORPGlist.Com, MMOReviews.Com, F2P.Com, GratisMMORPG.De, MMORPG Gratis.Com , JuegaenRed.Com, MMOGratuit.Com, MMOGratis.Com and GiochiMMO.it offering this Marvel heroes 2015 Random Hero Box Giveaway.

They seems to have same giveaway. Similar to last time when they gave Iron Man.

inky

There's also an invulnerability orb from some artifacts and items. I don't remember the color, really, but I think it's reddish.

sorry for all the noob questions: is real money the only way to get costumes or can we use splinters?

Costumes have a super duper tiny chance to drop randomly. And iirc there's some you can buy with Cube Shards (rewards from terminals). But otherwise, only money.

Haha I didn't know that. Can all players see it?

No, only the person it drops for. It also acts differently from regular health/spirit orbs, as it isn't pulled towards you if you're near it, you have to actually walk over it like an XP orb.

Dec

Is there an ini I can edit to enable hardware cursor? Mouse lag is quite terrible, specially if your frame rate drops.

Edit: mouse smoothing is enabled by default -.-. Turned off we'll see how much better it is.

The other issue imo is that most things are the same size as your hero including bosses since you mainly fight humanoid super villains. In other ARPGs you often fight large beast type mobs that have wider hit boxes as your primary enemy and bosses are always massive monstrosities. Left click is both attack and move in Diablo 3 and I never had that issue there, but can't stand it here and it makes me not like any melee character

Precisely. Good point. I just feel like I'm flailing about, not having any amount of precision. At that point, just let me have more direct control of my characters' movements and leave it at that.

Don't get me wrong, I still really like the game, despite that problem.

Regarding small bosses, 2 tips:
- Utilize your minimap. It can be very valuable especially when fighting bosses in crowded areas (e.g. Midtown or X-Def).
- Hold the left mousebutton on your target, and your character will keep on attacking with their basic attack. If you keep it held, they also automatically target that enemy with powers.

garath

Green - XP
Gold - XP from Legendary Quests
Dark blue/Indigo - Spirit
Red - Health
Purple - Spirit and Health
Light blue/cyan - Omega XP

That's it, really.

And no, I don't think that upgrading items to their next rarity is part of any tutorial, as it required a leveled up crafter. You know how to donate items to crafters to level them up?

Yes. Also, you can level your other vendors (Enchanter, Weapon, Gear; I recommend this order too, with crafter first)

Thanks :) That helps actually. Yeah, I've been leveling the crafter with all the purples and blues I can hold. He's 7 now I think.

Any value in holding onto the boss medals? My inventory is halfway filled with them. Not nearly enough stash space yet. I guess I'm buying a crafter one today and free up some space.

Also, any value in holding onto the crafting materials as I level? When do you start crafting? Any of the low level ones worthwhile?

I'm 2 bubbles from 30 now. The game is getting better the higher level I get. Really enjoying it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Jean's nerfed charge bums me out, not becuase it was OP (which it was) but because thats how I liked playing Jean, spazzing around charging everything and watching explosions. Shes not doing much for me with regular aoe attacks and whatnot.

Psylocke is also not really captivating me, and pretty much all the other heroes at 30ish are heroes I think are in desperate need of reviews and I have no intention of touching them until then (Cable, Thing, Punisher)

I do have Thor at 6 so barely touched, might give him a go. But im thinking ill deffinately play Surfer on release, and ignore all the other 100 surfers flying around (I usually prefer to save new characters for later when the craze has died down)

Regarding small bosses, 2 tips:
- Utilize your minimap. It can be very valuable especially when fighting bosses in crowded areas (e.g. Midtown or X-Def).
- Hold the left mousebutton on your target, and your character will keep on attacking with their basic attack. If you keep it held, they also automatically target that enemy with powers.

The issue isn't that it's not possible. That's precisely how I play melee characters. It's just not well done compared to fighting any boss in Diablo. I don't know how they get around it though. You can't make Magneto 5 times your character size in MM (where the issue is the worst). It would just look stupid and make no sense. Increasing hit boxes also doesn't work because then it screws up everything else around them. Maybe if they increased character swing arcs like the Barbarian swings in D3? The clicking is still an issue but it'd make shift+swing more reliable. I like this game a lot, but that aspect of combat compared to other ARPGs is no good.

Thanks :) That helps actually. Yeah, I've been leveling the crafter with all the purples and blues I can hold. He's 7 now I think.

Any value in holding onto the boss medals? My inventory is halfway filled with them. Not nearly enough stash space yet. I guess I'm buying a crafter one today and free up some space.

Also, any value in holding onto the crafting materials as I level? When do you start crafting? Any of the low level ones worthwhile?

I'm 2 bubbles from 30 now. The game is getting better the higher level I get. Really enjoying it.

Only hold onto boss medals you plan on using. There's better versions (Medallions and Cosmic Medallions) that you can get from terminals. Medals are basically the shitty version.
As for crafting ingredients - just leave them be. Once you get higher (I think at around 50), the pure (i.e. max level) ingredients start dropping. Only then I'd pick them up. You can break pure elements down into lower grade ones if need be, but you'll only need 4 stash spaces (one for each type).

I'm not sure what crafters have available at lower levels, but there are potions you can take for better damage and whatnot, those are pretty neat. And of course costume cores and certain items you can only craft and whatnot.

The issue isn't that it's not possible. That's precisely how I play melee characters. It's just not well done compared to fighting any boss in Diablo. I don't know how they get around it though. You can't make Magneto 5 times your character size in MM (where the issue is the worst). It would just look stupid and make no sense. Increasing hit boxes also doesn't work because then it screws up everything else around them. Maybe if they increased character swing arcs like the Barbarian swings in D3? The clicking is still an issue but it'd make shift+swing more reliable. I like this game a lot, but that aspect of combat compared to other ARPGs is no good.

Honestly it all comes with practice. I had the same problems too, but I got used to picking out the targets I want to with both melee and ranged characters. The only time I really have trouble if there's like 500 waves of trash mobs on top of the boss(es), but then it's hard to target anything regardless.

Honestly it all comes with practice. I had the same problems too, but I got used to picking out the targets I want to with both melee and ranged characters. The only time I really have trouble if there's like 500 waves of trash mobs on top of the boss(es), but then it's hard to target anything regardless.

I'm working on my 8th 60. Believe me I'm used to it. It doesn't mean its well done especially when there are other examples of this in other ARPGs. Trash mobs on bosses isn't a problem in other ARPGs for a reason.

KePoW

Banned

I would not bother keeping medallions that you do not use.

Also you should not waste bank space on low-level crafting mats. You can get those much easier later on.

I'm working on my 8th 60. Believe me I'm used to it. It doesn't mean its well done especially when there are other examples of this in other ARPGs. Trash mobs on bosses isn't a problem in other ARPGs for a reason.

I think there's not a really viable solution beyond making the bosses bigger or stand out by glowing or something, and that would be kinda bleh. Wider swing arcs wouldn't work for every character, either. I don't think that it's a problem however, even with trash mobs - the mobs just bodyblock you. Bosses go down so quickly anyway, so it's not like it's a huge issue.

Honestly, I have more issues with Juggernaut/Rhino being able to charge further than their arrow and hitting you from off-screen (and also having an insta-kill hitbox around/behind them when they start), and some of the "i'm going to use my super massive damage attack here" indicators from, say, Elektra or Malekith, or the new raid bosses, being extremely hard to see in crowded areas with all the explosions and other stuff going on.

Carm

So, I've got Spidey to 32 yesterday evening, started on Tuesday night. I did the campaign to like level 5-6 then I did Holo-Sim till 15, eventually getting bored/frustrated. Some of the Sims I'd fail because of not enough dps or just being overwhelmed.

So, at 15, I figured I'd jump into Midtown Patrol, and what a difference that is from Holo-Sim. I'd say skip Holo-Sim entirely and go into Midtown around 6ish and stay there till 20. Legendary Quests have been a breeze so far.

At first, I was getting worried about Spidey, he didn't feel good till I got Leaping assault, which helped. Then everything changed when I got some equipment with Amazing Smash ability. Now this is how Spidey should feel, game changer.

Only issue I have now is one active hotbar, and I have a extra ability I think that I don't have room for.

I ended up buying that Pro Pack, sadly only got one Ultimate Upgrade Token and a stack of Retcon potions as good things from all the Fortune Cards. What are the Iboosts? They didn't seem to be put into my inventory.

I still stand by what I said comparing the campaign to an Asian MMO grind. Doing these other avenues for leveling is night and day difference from campaign.

I've missed all 4/5 of those random hero giveaways =x they really need to stop doing it early morning on a weekday.

I've gotten Spidey to 32 and started leveling Cyclops, and I have a question about his synergy. Is the 10% experience bonus from his synergy the same bonus that is from consumables and the server side 50% currently going on? Wondering if I should take him all the way for that 10% if it's more valuable than the other ones I stated. Meaning is it multiplicative or cumulative, or whatever. I know in WoW for example certain things did it differently.

Vecks

I've gotten Spidey to 32 and started leveling Cyclops, and I have a question about his synergy. Is the 10% experience bonus from his synergy the same bonus that is from consumables and the server side 50% currently going on? Wondering if I should take him all the way for that 10% if it's more valuable than the other ones I stated. Meaning is it multiplicative or cumulative, or whatever. I know in WoW for example certain things did it differently.

I'm pretty sure it's all cumulative. The 10% works the same as any other xp boost. I think server side xp is also the same. EDIT: maybe not? Frost says otherwise.

But I think server side of RIF and SIF work the other way, but I don't have any sources for that, and that's impossible to test.

I've gotten used to using F1-6 for toggles and powers with long cooldowns, but yeah, one hotbar doesn't feel like enough, especially since some artifacts can be activated.
They said they would add more bindings, but they've always got their hands full with trying to add more content/heroes/etc. I mean, lol, it took them a year before they did a proper trade system.

Top Bottom