• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

pretty cool stuff.....

Hello all,

I wanted to give you guys an update, but I don't have the time for a full dev blog today.

Here's some of the things we did today:

1. Worked on buffing many heroes. The focus here was making sure everyone was powerful. We made many small, medium and large changes. These changes will roll out over the next few patches.

Minor Example: Spider-Man starts with +1 more Energy so he doesn't get a penalty to Energy attacks.

Major Example: We made Spider-Man's ultimate do triple damage, penetrate boss tenacity (so they get stunned) and make sure the 100% dodge is working perfectly and correctly.

3. Worked on the Defense issue. Made buffs to a few parts of the game to help this issue and some research into the best solution. This is probably the most important specific design issue we are working on.

Example: Adamantium Skeleton, Bulwark of Steel, Hulk Tough and many more mitigation powers were buffed significantly.

Example: Started work to add % damage reduction attached to the Durability attribute.

4. Made changes to end-game rewards the most fun modes in a greater way.

Example: Increased experience and loot in red terminals.

5. Worked on a smaller new end-game feature codenamed Superhero Synergy for launch in late July.

6. Worked on a 5v5 PVP mode based on our favorite MOBA map. This will roll out in late July at the earliest, late August at the latest.

7. Worked on a new end-game PVE mode codenamed Infinity Gauntlet. Funnest thing ever? You decide.

8. Did a little work on Torch.

9. Worked on floating combat text to make it look awesome and be accurate during scaling situations. More complicated than you may think.

10. Worked on new itemization for end-game players.

11. Worked on new PVE open-world zone.

12. Worked on tech to add health bar (optional) to bosses so you can see what's going on in Limbo.

13. Increased size of bosses by 25% so you can see them better in group settings.

14. Reduced a couple of the most expensive crafting costs.

15. Flintlock pistols.

16. Black Panther tribal hands clean up.

I'll try to post a full dev blog at some point.

Thanks for reading!
(quoting for the new page)

Sounds really good, I hope they deliver. I like these type of transparent dev updates. It probably takes him only 20 minutes to type that up but it makes the community happy and so worth it.

What is with Wolverine being able to pretty much stunlock bosses? Was in a group of green dailies and each time we got to a boss, wolverine would just be slicing away the boss would be moving in slow mo the entire time and we just murder them without taking any damage.

Xevren

What is with Wolverine being able to pretty much stunlock bosses? Was in a group of green dailies and each time we got to a boss, wolverine would just be slicing away the boss would be moving in slow mo the entire time and we just murder them without taking any damage.

There's a bug with slow's since the patch, if they trigger they're pretty much going to be stuck in an animation until death. I thought it was just me with chaos magic, but people on the marvel forums are saying it's for everyone. I doubt it's intentional.

I visited a thread on the official boards today, regarding game performance.
If your have frame rate issues, like me, its worth giving this a try. I did and I wont go back. The game seems much smoother now.
The only hiccup worth mentioning is that the scenery in Limbo becomes very dark. Just back up the config file before editing, in case you dont like it.

Since i did this fix, I now play my serious modes (Limbo and Group challenge) on lowest settings, as per normal, but everything else on max (in game) settings. I never realiZed how pretty this game was. Previously, medium setting was as high as I would go.

https://forum.marvelheroes.com/showthread.php/29034-Performance-Booster-Tips

So, recently i noticed ALOT of people claiming low FPS issues, and i as well experienced a few low drops in certain world zones. For the most part, i dont seem to have much of a problem with most areas, but weather and heavy particle effects / fog, definitely have a noticeable impact on my performance in some areas. So, i got to toying with the config for the game, as anyone familiar with UE knows, theres a variety of misc options you can adjust in the Engine.ini file, and i figured i would high-lite the most noticeable performance boosting option i have found. So, to the point.

Be warned, that this is not ideal for those of you that care too much about visuals in a game.

If you locate the MarvelEngine.ini file (as a windows user, i found it in My Documents/My Games/Marvel Heroes/Config), you can adjust numerous settings, but the one option i found that gave a very noticeable improvement in all areas, was the DynamicLights=True setting. By setting this to false, you no longer have what appears to be the majority of real time lights functioning at all times in game.

Theres also a few other settings that can be adjusted and toyed with, such as blur, distortion, lens effects, etc. Each option can improve performance with varying effect for users, but MOST users with FPS issues, should notice an increase with just DynamicLights disabled.

Theres also the ability to limit the texture sizes used within game for a variety of things, but i wont go into details about that here and now.

Feel free to tl/dr, erase post, whatever. Just figured i would tell people what worked for me and several others so far. Enjoy, back to poundin on bad guys for me :p

There's a bug with slow's since the patch, if they trigger they're pretty much going to be stuck in an animation until death. I thought it was just me with chaos magic, but people on the marvel forums are saying it's for everyone. I doubt it's intentional.

Saw this happen in limbo when fighting Sabertooth, a Black widow was able to stunlock Sabertooth for a good 30 seconds, we melted him down to a 1/4 health in that time and killed him within a minute. No way this is intentional lol

Scirrocco

Man, my daredevil would be god, and im stuck travelling. Hope im at least back forthe sale.

well crap. I bought Deadpool last night =/

oh well.. hope the discounts are good. I'd like to pick up Iron Man

Haha yeah I caved and bought Spidey the other day even though I promised myself I wouldn't buy a 2000G hero at full price. Knew I shouldn't have started re-reading Ultimate Spidey.

If Deadpool is really cheap I may pick him up but I'm probably gonna wait for another of my favorite heroes to release before spending any more cash on the game.

Come on Nightcrawler, Psylocke, or DarkHawk!

Xevren

As a huge fan of Guardians of the Galaxy and the like, trying to play Rocket Raccoon is killing me, I hear he gets better at 20 but good lord is it a grind just to get there.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm still on as are lots of others. Are you able to log back in?
Yeah I was thankfully. Think I'm gonna stay up for the sale.

Is there an index of what all of the visual effects look like? Also thanks to xiensu, I don't know who you are on GAF or how you got all of these drops but I thank you for all of these awesome artifacts.

Giard

I visited a thread on the official boards today, regarding game performance.
If your have frame rate issues, like me, its worth giving this a try. I did and I wont go back. The game seems much smoother now.
The only hiccup worth mentioning is that the scenery in Limbo becomes very dark. Just back up the config file before editing, in case you dont like it.

Since i did this fix, I now play my serious modes (Limbo and Group challenge) on lowest settings, as per normal, but everything else on max (in game) settings. I never realiZed how pretty this game was. Previously, medium setting was as high as I would go.

https://forum.marvelheroes.com/showthread.php/29034-Performance-Booster-Tips

Thanks! It helps a lot.

Xevren

They are going to ban people that boot players right after a boss is killed so they can't loot. Glad I haven't run into anyone like that.

Lord Phol

As a huge fan of Guardians of the Galaxy and the like, trying to play Rocket Raccoon is killing me, I hear he gets better at 20 but good lord is it a grind just to get there.

Here's a lad with good taste! Game needs more Gamora, Adam Warlock and Star-Lord!
I haven't actually played RR myself but he's a great hero to hook up in groups with, hope he gets more enyoable for you.

Looking forward to the sales, hope they are signifcant and just not like 10% off the normal price. I could really need a new hero to spice the game up and Wolverine's been on my radar a long time. Spiderman looks pretty fun as well.

I'm really glad they are pumping out new features, some of which don't look too far off. I think this game and especially the PvP could turn out real fun with enough dev time.

They are going to ban people that boot players right after a boss is killed so they can't loot. Glad I haven't run into anyone like that.

As someone who's been a victim of this, THANK GOD!

Yea, I just got him up to 20 recently. It's like playing a totally different character. Once you get Tactical Destruction you're basically playing the Marvel Heroes version of the Quake 3 rail gun, and it's pretty great.

Much better than sitting there quick shotting everyone for the first few hours like you've been doing.

hamchan

Yep 25% off sale up now. Oh wait prices are different for each hero.

Looks like Capt America 50% off, the 2000g heroes 25% off, 100G off every other hero.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sale is up.

Black Panther 800
Black Widow 450
Cable 800
Captain America 600
Colossus 800
Cyclops 800
Deadpool 1500
Hulk 1100
Iron Man 1500
Jean Grey 1100
Ms. Marvel 800
Punisher 800
Rocket Raccoon 1100
Spider-man 1500
Thor 1100
Wolverine 1100

Bolded ones are ones I know for sure are discounted from regular.

Found my first character token tonight - cyclops. Not a big fan but at least I got some fun new skills to mess with.

Also found a nice artifact that lets me spawn purple orbs with a 30 second CD.

Thank fuck for that. Never been a victim of it but it sounds like the most asshole move ever. Theres a dude on reddit that keeps going on about how hes been doing that to other people.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Summary of discounts for heroes:

Sale is up.

Black Panther 800 (100 off)
Cable 800 (100 off)
Captain America 600 (600 off)
Colossus 800 (100 off)
Cyclops 800 (100 off)
Deadpool 1500 (500 off)
Hulk 1100 (100 off)
Iron Man 1500 (500 off)
Jean Grey 1100 (100 off)
Ms. Marvel 800 (100 off)
Punisher 800 (100 off)
Rocket Raccoon 1100 (100 off)
Spider-man 1500 (500 off)
Thor 1100 (100 off)
Wolverine 1100 (100 off)

Remember 1G = 1 USD.

well crap. I bought Deadpool last night =/

oh well.. hope the discounts are good. I'd like to pick up Iron Man

Thankfully they have this covered in the blog post so no worries:

Our Sale Promise
We know many game sales events vary their prices throughout the promotion, which can mean you miss out on a great bargain. We're committed to keeping these prices as-is for the entire 10 days until July 8th at 12:01AM PDT, so you can buy with confidence.

Some of you may have purchased a hero or costume in the last few days, not knowing this sale was about to start. If you have purchased a hero from the in-game store since Tuesday, June 25th, we will refund the difference (in Gs) between your purchase price and the sale price.

In addition, if you purchased a costume since Tuesday that has dropped in price by 400Gs or more, we will also refund the difference (in Gs) between your purchase price and the sale price.

To claim your refund, you must contact Customer Support, who will verify your in-game purchase and then refund your account. To contact Customer Support, login to your profile on Marvel Heroes.com and click 'Support' and 'Submit a Help Request'. Then use the dropdown menu to select 'Holiday Sale Issues' and send in your request. Please note, due to the high volume of expected refund requests, your refund may take up to a week to process. Refunds can only be granted for items that were purchased from the in-game store; heroes and costumes included as part of a pack are not eligible for refund.

So how is everyone feeling about this sale. I have the ulti so it doesnt impact me at all, but I looked at the forums and as expected, more whining.

hamchan

Game successfully got me to spend $10. Got Cap and Cyclops, spending 1000 + 400 compensation. Felt compelled to give them something back after playing the game for 40 hours, for free. Also they seem pretty earnest about fixing the issues the game has, might as well throw them a bone.

How I feel about this sale hmmm.
I think the 50% off Cap is very good.
The 25% off the 2000g heroes isn't enough because they were very expensive in the first place.
The 100g off everyone else is ok but also not very significant.

Xevren

So how is everyone feeling about this sale. I have the ulti so it doesnt impact me at all, but I looked at the forums and as expected, more whining.

I was wanting Captain America and half off didn't sound bad to me. So I was able to get him and Black Widow with the excess g's I had so I'm a happy camper. I've had a Captain America costume sitting in my stash for a bit too, so yay!

Summary of discounts for heroes:

Sale is up.

Black Panther 800 (100 off)
Cable 800 (100 off)
Captain America 600 (600 off)
Colossus 800 (100 off)
Cyclops 800 (100 off)
Deadpool 1500 (500 off)
Hulk 1100 (100 off)
Iron Man 1500 (500 off)
Jean Grey 1100 (100 off)
Ms. Marvel 800 (100 off)
Punisher 800 (100 off)
Rocket Raccoon 1100 (100 off)
Spider-man 1500 (500 off)
Thor 1100 (100 off)
Wolverine 1100 (100 off)

Remember 1G = 1 USD.

So... they knocked off a whole one dollar from the price of most heroes? Am I reading this right?

hamchan

Also, they specifically announced Wolverine to be on sale and he's only one of the 100G off heroes, so that's disappointing.

Lord Phol

Also, they specifically announced Wolverine to be on sale and he's only one of the 100G off heroes, so that's disappointing.

Yeah that's still too steep for me. Might get the Black Panther Tribal Costume since it's only 450Gs and they mentioned in the earlier blog post that they are fixing it (which I hope means they'll remove the claws).

Gonna buy Jeans Marvel NOW costume as well even though I don't have her yet, it's so cheap xD.

Before I make a mistake I'll regret, when starting to play as a new hero, would I want to start the story over? If not, would the new character just have to grind up levels without having quests available?

Beelzebubs

Before I make a mistake I'll regret, when starting to play as a new hero, would I want to start the story over? If not, would the new character just have to grind up levels without having quests available?

You get permanent character bonuses for completing each chapter of the story mode.

Lord Phol

Is it fun to play as captain america or ironman?
Who's the funnest character to play as?

It's pretty subjective, but the captain kicks some major ass. Seen him facetank Tier 3 Red terminal Doom. I play Iron man myself, and even though I find his energy tree quite fun, the other two needs work and he's pretty weak, not like my main Black Panther.

yogloo

I think I am going to buy cap and one other hero. I'm partial towards iron man or Thor. But if there are other fun characters I'm up for it.

Tobor

Cap is awesome. I bought him at full price a while ago and don't regret it. Quick Block is godly for tanking bosses once you get the level high enough.

I think I'm going to pick up cap for that price. Still undecided on spidey, really like his root move :/ anyone have extensive experience with him (where you at vray)?

So Iron Man is $1,500 :O

:p

LOL at $1 discounts. Gee, thanks Gaz, you shouldn't have... Only worthwhile sale is Cap. Everyone should buy him, he is fun imo.

lol yeah, lets just hope they don't decide to nerf Cap after the sale :/ (SOE for PS2 has a tendency to do this)

Lord Phol

lol yeah, lets just hope they don't decide to nerf Cap after the sale :/ (SOE for PS2 has a tendency to do this)

Well according to the dev post earlier it seems they are actually working on buffing heroes. It's not impossible that one or two skills gets nerfed though, like I stated earlier he tanks like a boss. Gonna have to try him out for myself before I make judgement.

Sale is awful, doesn't give any confidence that they will be doing anything with reducing prices in the future that so many have complained about. One dollar off?

Carcetti

Has there been a stability patch yet? Earlier I couldn't load more than 2 levels before getting the computer locked enough to need a hard reset.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
So Iron Man is $1,500 :O

:p

LOL at $1 discounts. Gee, thanks Gaz, you shouldn't have... Only worthwhile sale is Cap. Everyone should buy him, he is fun imo.

Yup. 100 off the 1200 heroes is meaningless because you still have to buy 15.00 worth of G to get them which I'm sure is why they didn't just make them an even 1000.

Sale is awful, doesn't give any confidence that they will be doing anything with reducing prices in the future that so many have complained about. One dollar off?

I'm thinking that regardless of the complaints the heroes are still selling very well which is why they aren't changing it very much yet.

Top Bottom