• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes |OT| GAF Assemble

I really cant decide how to spend my 2100 Gs. I would prefer a really fun to play ranged hero, and I was going for Rocket Raccoon but from the common opinion on the forum it seems a bit boring. I know well that MMORPGs forums are usually mostly whine tough, so i dont know if Rocket is actually boring to play or not.

Any suggestion? I could also go for a melee, if its really fun to play even at early levels.

Check out Human Torch. Most fun ranged in the game IMO. Well developed skill set and a blast to play because of his mobility.

Thinking of buying one of the packs available. Is it worth it to spend $60? I was looking at the Cable, Wolverine, Deadpool, Colossus pack.

E: I only care about the characters, not costumes/cards/etc.

If you just care about the characters, it'd be cheaper to buy them individually. I think at this point the packs are only worthwhile if you want the costumes that come with them, or the hero stashes.

KePoW

Banned
Thinking of buying one of the packs available. Is it worth it to spend $60? I was looking at the Cable, Wolverine, Deadpool, Colossus pack.

E: I only care about the characters, not costumes/cards/etc.

I've spent $100+ bucks on this game and feel it's worth it, I think it's a lot of fun and well-done (at this point... back in beta it was bad).

But I buy individual heroes and costumes, not the packs.

Ailike

I actually liked limbo, and now that its gone Im sad. Midtown is... not fun for me. Its a mess of powers being thrown everywhere, spawns popping on top of you, and what amounts to corpse running back to bosses. It's kinda just a clustereff to me, even more so than limbo was. I think I might be done.

J-Tier

I actually liked limbo, and now that its gone Im sad. Midtown is... not fun for me. Its a mess of powers being thrown everywhere, spawns popping on top of you, and what amounts to corpse running back to bosses. It's kinda just a clustereff to me, even more so than limbo was. I think I might be done.

Limbo was definitely better exp-wise. They should've kept both as options.

ElRenoRaven

You know as slow as I've leveled my main I never got around to limbo so I can say I don't miss it. Hell my main is 42 and I've been playing it since a week before launch lol.

Midtown I find fun but yea it is a bit annoying in how the mobs just spawn on top of you. If they could fix that then I'd be ok with that. Well if they fixed that and made sure Sabertooth never showed up. You can tell the people that don't know how fighting him works. He was regenning all his health easily. But still despite that it is ok fun.

BTW thanks for the runs tonight guys. It was fun even when we were getting demolished. lol.

hamchan

I kinda don't know why I'm playing this game since there's no extra difficulty or achievements to aim for. I'm liking it just as a chill game where I put on a podcast or some music.

I'm just grinding to chase higher level numbers but there's really no point to having a higher level for anything else besides more grinding. Also now grinding for eternity splinters so I can unlock new characters so I can pointlessly grind with those heroes now as well ><

I guess the end goal for me right now is to unlock the rest of the heroes for free. Hopefully they add a super duper hard difficulty like Inferno that you need level 55+ for, that people in the forums will whine about, complete with achievements.

GManDH

got like 5 cores today and only 5 splinters. i just wish we could get more splinters but then again it would defeat the point of them. i just want to upgrade my ult all the way to power 20, but that might take a long time.

Ken

You're level 50+ already? Just the other day I thought you were 30 or something lol

You could probably find the day I started playing IM. I got him to like 30 and then played MM up to 30 and went back to IM and just spammed limbo until 40 and MM to 50 lol.

50-54 MM seems kind of empty. What else is there?

Gonna buy/level a new hero tomorrow probably and finish leveling Iron Man later when he gets some buffs. Would love opinions in the heroes I'm interested which are:

Rocket Raccoon (I don't see very many so this is one of -those- kinds of choices)
Black Panther (He looks cool but I see a lot of him so eh )
Black Widow (I have her but she's still at level 1. Hesitant on leveling her because drones sound about as exciting as micro missiles)
Spider-Man (I see a lot of these but I still can't tell what he plays like)

I'd consider Thor too if I got his Destroyer costume. Or Hulk and his Apoc if he's really that much fun?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I must say, I enjoy killing groups in Midtown. The XP is pretty good. Bosses, however, are a shit storm. WAY too many effects, people dragging packs of yellow mobs in (thus making the boss artificially more difficult), and a general sense of chaos.

BUT! I'm enjoying it. Got RR to 39 and finally found a reasonably fun build to run around with.

Rocket Raccoon (I don't see very many so this is one of -those- kinds of choices)
Black Panther (He looks cool but I see a lot of him so eh )
Black Widow (I have her but she's still at level 1. Hesitant on leveling her because drones sound about as exciting as micro missiles)
Spider-Man (I see a lot of these but I still can't tell what he plays like)

I'd consider Thor too if I got his Destroyer costume. Or Hulk and his Apoc if he's really that much fun?

I can't comment on any but Rocket Raccoon. I've been playing him since beta. He's fun, but definitely not OP. Some people will consider him a "top tier" hero, but that's definitely in a group setting. Solo, he's slow to kill and squishy (unitl you level up his shield). His turrets offer unique utility, and Groot offers one of the single best tanks in the game. But Groot comes pretty late, so you're relying on turrets to deal with things in the first half of the game. And spirit mitigation can get cumbersome. I've found myself running around in circles waiting for spirit regen so I can pop defscreen and throw more turrets down.

He's a hero that DEFINITELY requires 1-2 Retcon devices to be good. You need an early game and late game build for sure.

Im really liking Midtown Madness. I think they need to tone down the number of bosses appearing at once and enemy spawns in general, but otherwise, its a good place to just relax and kill stuff.
I found a great adamantium core today for Punisher.
It has +1 fighting, +1 strength and 25% rare item find. I cant wait to start throwing cars at enemies.

yogloo

I got 10 splinters today. I'm going to save up for a new hero. I am liking the changes they made for cyclops too. I actually managed to solo all of the green terminals which is borderline impossible previously.

Wallach

Thor is getting looked at again and may be worth waiting on until at least the next patch. He's got a neat skill set but just on the numbers side of things his survivability and damage is buttcakes. Cool character though and I don't regret buying him. I think they may wind up overcompensating for him like they did Hulk.

Hulk's a monster in 1.11. I've got at least a couple hours of Hulk in the 50-54 bracket on my Twitch page if you want to see what it looks like. I've improved his gear and build a little bit since I last streamed too. Having other players around me in Midtown is essentially just a nerf to my kill speed. Even with supervillains around.

KePoW

Banned
Hulk is flat out overpowered right now.

One thing I don't like is how Gaz always listens to people who whine too much, and goes overboard in their changes.

I think Torch is a bit overpowered too.

KePoW

Banned
So should I level Torch while he's easy mode?

If you like playing a super easy game, yeah.

I like it when games like this are challenging though, which is why it irks me when Gaz totally makes something overpowered and just auto godmode. (I liked D3's original Inferno difficulty... thought it was fun & hilarious)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If you like playing a super easy game, yeah.

I like it when games like this are challenging though, which is why it irks me when Gaz totally makes something overpowered and just auto godmode. (I liked D3's original Inferno difficulty... thought it was fun & hilarious)

Having played some grossly underpowered characters, I wouldn't mind a little mindless killing.

Ken

I can't comment on any but Rocket Raccoon. I've been playing him since beta. He's fun, but definitely not OP. Some people will consider him a "top tier" hero, but that's definitely in a group setting. Solo, he's slow to kill and squishy (unitl you level up his shield). His turrets offer unique utility, and Groot offers one of the single best tanks in the game. But Groot comes pretty late, so you're relying on turrets to deal with things in the first half of the game. And spirit mitigation can get cumbersome. I've found myself running around in circles waiting for spirit regen so I can pop defscreen and throw more turrets down.

He's a hero that DEFINITELY requires 1-2 Retcon devices to be good. You need an early game and late game build for sure.

Why is he good in groups? And yeah seems to a be common thing where core skills for heroes don't open up until upper 20s which is kind of lame.

Thor is getting looked at again and may be worth waiting on until at least the next patch. He's got a neat skill set but just on the numbers side of things his survivability and damage is buttcakes. Cool character though and I don't regret buying him. I think they may wind up overcompensating for him like they did Hulk.

Hulk's a monster in 1.11. I've got at least a couple hours of Hulk in the 50-54 bracket on my Twitch page if you want to see what it looks like. I've improved his gear and build a little bit since I last streamed too. Having other players around me in Midtown is essentially just a nerf to my kill speed. Even with supervillains around.

Sounds like I should probably get a Hulk leveled up right now.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone have any experience with Deadpool? Thinking about saving my splinters up for him, would he be worth the 600?

I've got a 60 deadpool but I haven't really played him much since the new patch. Before his only viable spec was mostly based around the shoot all the bullets power, but because of the change to how dots work it's not as effective I hear. They buffed up some of his melee powers but he has very little damage mitigation so it makes him fairly squishy. I guess melee is suppose to get better with the upcoming change to defense though.

Put about 2-3 hours into this again over the weekend after a long break. Finally found a solution for the memory hole error I'd been getting.

My Hawkeye is about level 17 now I think.

Managed to pick up 10 Splinters in that time, so I don't think I'll ever realistically be grabbing Deadpool for free lol..

Definitely enjoying it though. Has Hawkeye had any significant buffs?! I felt like I was cutting through foes a little quicker/easier than the last time I played.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I've got a 60 deadpool but I haven't really played him much since the new patch. Before his only viable spec was mostly based around the shoot all the bullets power, but because of the change to how dots work it's not as effective I hear. They buffed up some of his melee powers but he has very little damage mitigation so it makes him fairly squishy. I guess melee is suppose to get better with the upcoming change to defense though.

Like Max said, Deadpool got a major nerf this big patch.

Ah that sucks. Figures that he would get nerfed just as soon as I'm able to work towards getting him. Well I only have 100 splinters at the moment so I got lots of time to decide if I still want to try him or go with Spidey. Thanks for the input guys.

lol ironman shield nerfs. shit on a shitty character even more. the forums are quite vocal atm lol.

Wow I didn't even know this. I mean I noticed my shield was gone a few times in Manhattan today but I just thought I had forgotten to trigger it, got so used to it just being on that I didn't even see it draining. That's pretty bad.

apparently huge changes for iron man soon though. That really is the problem with this game. always 'huge character changes' kinda keeps me from playing atm.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Woah, I just had a Phoenix Feather drop. Seems insanely OP. I'm curious how often the revive effect can trigger?

Why is he good in groups? And yeah seems to a be common thing where core skills for heroes don't open up until upper 20s which is kind of lame.

Sounds like I should probably get a Hulk leveled up right now.

RR offers a lot of group aggro control. Groot is a mega tank, as are the turrets. I throw down Blaster Turret and Groot and tend to keep the enemies off me with little issue. There's also the turret that slows projectiles (distortion turret maybe?) and the one that reflects all projectiles. That one makes farming certain bosses a joke.

Which other heroes do you own?

I only own like, 6. But during closed beta, I at least tried most of them to see what they were like. I am looking to purchase a few after I've gone and leveled the ones I care about. I was going between Thor, Storm, Human Torch, and a melee. I'm holding out for Squirrel Girl though...Gotta get a 60 RR and Squirrel Girl.

apparently huge changes for iron man soon though. That really is the problem with this game. always 'huge character changes' kinda keeps me from playing atm.

Yup. Bit hard to decide on a main when your character could be completely nerfed next week. Rough too when you're often paying for them. I'll hold off on the purchases until it's all a little more stable and dependable.

So should I level Torch while he's easy mode?

You basically spam MASSIVE BALLS OF FIRE everywhere and create large RINGS OF FIRE on the ground and release TRAILS OF FIRE FROM YOUR ASS as you move around the screen. Stuff dies ridiculously fast. He's easily up there with Hulk as the most OP character in the game right now.

Gaz seems to be a bit too reactionary when it comes to player complaints thus far, and they swing the pendulum way too quickly from under tuned to over tuned on characters. Hulk went from being crap to being the best character in the game, for example.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You basically spam MASSIVE BALLS OF FIRE everywhere and create large RINGS OF FIRE on the ground and release TRAILS OF FIRE FROM YOUR ASS as you move around the screen. Stuff dies ridiculously fast. He's easily up there with Hulk as the most OP character in the game right now.

Gaz seems to be a bit too reactionary when it comes to player complaints thus far, and they swing the pendulum way too quickly from under tuned to over tuned on characters. Hulk went from being crap to being the best character in the game, for example.

That's pretty typical of ANY game where the devs try and "build" around the community. WoW and D3 come to mind.

Also, I was wondering a bit about Rocket Raccoon in terms of my kill speed. I wasn't thinking much of it, but I did notice that I was having a hard time doing much damage with BFG on groups. Turns out, everyone on the forums who play RR are saying they went from mass clearing green terminal mobs, red terminal mobs, and cows, are all experiencing INSANELY slow kill speed. Like, 2+ FULL BFG drains.

I'm going to keep leveling him, but he is definitely doing almost no AoE damage at the moment. I have been able to manage 39 in Midtown, so that's a plus.

Xevren

That's pretty typical of ANY game where the devs try and "build" around the community. WoW and D3 come to mind.

Also, I was wondering a bit about Rocket Raccoon in terms of my kill speed. I wasn't thinking much of it, but I did notice that I was having a hard time doing much damage with BFG on groups. Turns out, everyone on the forums who play RR are saying they went from mass clearing green terminal mobs, red terminal mobs, and cows, are all experiencing INSANELY slow kill speed. Like, 2+ FULL BFG drains.

I'm going to keep leveling him, but he is definitely doing almost no AoE damage at the moment. I have been able to manage 39 in Midtown, so that's a plus.

BFG was hit by the DoT nerf everyone else got. That's why it sucks for RR.

The game is always going to be a clusterfuck on balance. Devs can't balance arpgs with 3-5 characters, what do you expect with 20+ characters and more constantly being added?

I feel the big speed increase Ms Marvel got, has made her a much better character.
The wind up on her Cosmic Haymaker was too much before, now its comparatively lightning fast.

My gameplan with Punisher, now revolves around sticky and gas grenades.
Its still fun, but less effective and less cool looking than Deadly Barrage was.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Haha Torch is a blast to play. He melts everything (which is a plus), but more importantly, he's a DOUCHE. He's so fun to listen to!

There were soooo many Torches running around when I was playing. The big firey "4" painted all over the place haha.. He did look fun to play.

Top Bottom