• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Askani

I'm not posting the image in case people want to be surprised:

http://i.imgur.com/3msYHPn.png

w4U7NTa.gif

Gotchaye

All those Ragnarok covers I just got are suddenly much less valuable, although on the other hand I'm now okay with them being mostly greens.
nerfed into the ground

Askani

I've only been able to get two covers so I just got my butt whipped by him, and never whipped butts with him. About time.

Although from the sounds of it on the forums, he wasn't just nerfed, but nerfed to death, brought back to life, and then nerfed again.

zulux21

I've only been able to get two covers so I just got my butt whipped by him, and never whipped butts with him. About time.

Although from the sounds of it on the forums, he wasn't just nerfed, but nerfed to death, brought back to life, and then nerfed again.

yup
upped the cost of the red move to 6, and reduced the tiles changed to 4 green.

Guess I don't have any reason to replace thor with rags now lol

FaidSint

I've got all the covers I need to level my Storm and Iron Man up to 50, now just gotta farm the ISO. (Black Widow has 40 too, but shes around level 28 where St and IM are like 43 each).

This still makes me a noob at the game but I'd love to have a full set of max level 1 stars before I start leveling up some of my other guys. I'm using this time to build a decent roster of powerful covers that I can start putting ISO into once my 1 stars are max level. Is this a good strat?

Also.. I've got Grey Widow, SpiderMan, Magneto and Hulk for 3 stars, and then Classic Widow, Modern Storm, Thor and Wolverine for 2 stars. Any advice of which I should try to level up first once my 1 stars are done?

Should I totally dump my other two Widows and my modern storm, are they any good?

Also.. I have a max level cap juggernaut whos still at level 1. At this stage in the game will it ever be useful to level her up all the way?

zulux21

Seriously though, thunderclap at 2 AP was nuts.

it was but there are way more intelligent nerfs you could do instead of what they did...

I mean one thing you could have done is just made it end your turn so you couldn't rapid fire it.

or you really only needed to up it to 4ap at max or so to make it not completely broken as that takes more than 1 basic match to get to

BlackJace

it was but there are way more intelligent nerfs you could do instead of what they did...

I mean one thing you could have done is just made it end your turn so you couldn't rapid fire it.

or you really only needed to up it to 4ap at max or so to make it not completely broken as that takes more than 1 basic match to get to

Oh I agree, it's just that they probably went in with a justified reason. The overdid it for sure, though.

Wondering if I should get rid of Rags now...

Yeah the forums are really Turk-182ing it tonight! Whoa!!

Gotchaye

lol open season on Ragnarok users. :)

I think they gonna nerf Wolverine and Thor next.

They're good choices, but so are Spider-Man and Magneto. I'm betting on Magneto, which is sad because he's my favorite character and I still don't have enough covers to make good use of him. But his blue is similar to Ragnarok's old red in that it's capable of taking a few AP and destroying whole teams. And the damage on his purple is just silly. Plus ihearthawthats reminds me that he's now the king of Lightning Rounds.

I think that in general they (for some reason) underestimated how much more powerful skills get as they level up when they become cheaper every level. Ragnarok's level 1 red was fine; his level 5 red could be cast three times as often and could easily be made to produce net AP. Wolverine can lay down at least one strike tile with every single green match. Magneto's blue almost always pays for itself at level 5. Spider-Man can basically remove a character from the game once he gets 4 blue AP. Thor isn't quite as ridiculous since his skills start out more expensive, but his red ends up being about as good as Ragnarok's old level 1 red, and it feeds Thor's very impressive yellow.

I'll certainly be taking another look at characters like Hulk and Punisher now, though.

Climbed into 650 on the Double Shot (#9) and went back into 540 (#12) in 5 minutes.

The problem about trying to climb having a 85 team is that there is a moment that the only teams that you can defeat are 100-200 points below you.

That seems ok, you only need to do more matches. Wrong. After a few hours of playing, there will be dozens of people that can retaliate, stealing more points than the ones that you got from them (because they have less points than you). Even if only half of them decide to retaliate, you'll lose all the gained points.

Having a good team or, at least, a high 3* character (that discourage a lot to be attacked, specially if it's a tank char), is more useful than playing a lot or being good.

Let's hope that I'll get luckier with the cards on the next single player event, where the team is less important than skill or dedication.

shaowebb

Wait they nerfed Rags? Did they fix the drops? I was still getting shit I already had maxed out earlier before I left. What all got adjusted in this patch.

hamchan

Haha people raging on the d3pforums because of this nerf. Understandable if you've put a lot of time and money into Rags but I sure haven't, so I'm pretty happy. His 2 AP ability was definitely too ridiculous.

People threatening to give the game bad ratings on iTunes is pretty funny to see.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Haha people raging on the d3pforums because of this nerf. Understandable if you've put a lot of time and money into Rags but I sure haven't, so I'm pretty happy. His 2 AP ability was definitely too ridiculous.

People threatening to give the game bad ratings on iTunes is pretty funny to see.

It's pretty fickle when you adjust things that are overpowered that people put real money into because it is overpowered with this model.

They need to offer respecs or credits when something like this happens, but only if you spent real money.

Askani

Just pulled an green Invisible Woman. Got her from and Ironclad token drop from the Double Shot tourney. My first one. Wished I had her for the special Hulk events and whatnot but better late than never.

zulux21

well more than one person mentioned that they had spent money to buy rags covers and iso to level him up. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a number of people who spent 50-$100 to get a max level rags because he was awesome only to have this happen to him. I can't remotely blame them for being pissed... at the very least they should have done the nerf in small stages... bump it up to 3 today (some people would complan but he would still be really powerful so most wouldn't care to much) next month drop it down to only doing 4 instead of 5 green... and maybe work on tweaking the weaker characters into something more useful. I mean yes rags was awesome, but there are some terrible characters that really need some tweaking to be more interesting so that you can use them for more than in special events or when you want a challenge :/

In general Rags did need a nerf though as if every character was balanced to match him it would be crazy and painful... but I would prefer to see the other characters be raised to like thor's level instead of everyone dropped to bagman's level :/

Dispatch

About the new character:
It's cool to have the Madripoor version of Wolverine in the game, but I'm disappointed not to have a completely new character.

I'm surprised at how powerful adding an Original Black Widow to my team makes me feel. It's like I have a permanent boost turned on with her Espionage skill. It's also been to my advantage that Iron Man (with his boost in the current tournament) is the hero who attacks with Blue. This lets me charge Widow's heal and not leave her vulnerable to attack.

Dude from Demiurge posted about the nerf, basically saying they're committed to like "creating engagement by having a balanced game with no single dominant character". I never get far into Rags so I couldn't care less. I'm actually thrilled that he'll be easier to beat (presumably) in future Events.

Right now I hit 250 in Double Shot and can't really bring myself to go any further after that Heroic Token. No prizes seem worth the work after that.

Basically waiting for the next thing to drop and just going through Prologue and picking' up any scrayps.

#TimeBobby

blackflag

Just pulled an green Invisible Woman. Got her from and Ironclad token drop from the Double Shot tourney. My first one. Wished I had her for the special Hulk events and whatnot but better late than never.

She was actually never used for Hulk events and is utterly useless. I'm getting one today from placing first in double shot and I'm selling it.

Gotchaye

New big event and a new tournament are up. Hulk tournament with Punisher/Moonstone prizes. Repeat of The Hunt with Punisher/Ares prizes.

I thought Ares was a Wonder Woman bad guy; obviously DC doesn't own the Greek pantheon but I didn't know it was a Marvel character at all. Looks to be another Red/Green/Yellow character. Has all direct damage abilities, several with significant drawbacks.

Edit: IW was required for several The Hunt missions last time around and I expect the same will be true this time.

New big event and a new tournament are up. Hulk tournament with Punisher/Moonstone prizes. Repeat of The Hunt with Punisher/Ares prizes.

I thought Ares was a Wonder Woman bad guy; obviously DC doesn't own the Greek pantheon but I didn't know it was a Marvel character at all. Looks to be another Red/Green/Yellow character. Has all direct damage abilities, several with significant drawbacks.

Edit: IW was required for several The Hunt missions last time around and I expect the same will be true this time.

Ah, it really is the exact same as the last Hunt but with different prizes. Still, better than hunting for scrayps.

EDIT: Ah, SHIT! It's bracketed! And I just hopped right in!! DUMMY! SO STUPID! DUMB IDIOT.

The Main Hunt Event. Although I hear there's Ares all OVER the Subevents so I don't really care.

I don't see the appeal for Ares.

Green attack that GIVE green PA to the enemy.
Red attack that give x2 damage if Ares is below 20% hp.
Yellow attack that also damage you

There are already too many 2-stars big-hitters that use the same colors. I don't need another one.

There are already too many 2-stars big-hitters that use the same colors. I don't need another one.

*shrugs*

New character. That's all I need to know.

;D

Gotchaye

Captain America seems to have gotten the most insane buff this time around. Modern Hawkeye is not nearly as impressive this time, but the Captain's at +300%, I think. Hulk is +200%.

NEWS FLASH

This is their current Charac Re-Balance Queue, in order:
Invisible Woman (Classic)
Thor (Marvel NOW!)
Wolverine (X-Force)
Wolverine (Astonishing X-Men)
Hawkeye (Modern)
Magneto (Classic)
Spiderman (Classic)

My bonkers tactic of keeping everyone the same level it all times now seems like the smartest-ass way to play.

davepoobond

NEWS FLASH

This is their current Charac Re-Balance Queue, in order:
Invisible Woman (Classic)
Thor (Marvel NOW!)
Wolverine (X-Force)
Wolverine (Astonishing X-Men)
Hawkeye (Modern)
Magneto (Classic)
Spiderman (Classic)

My bonkers tactic of keeping everyone the same level it all times now seems like the smartest-ass way to play.

Lol that's what I was doing at the beginning but I started putting more into wolverine and Thor than anyone else

I've been trying to put more ISO in other guys too, so it'll be nice to see that tactic not be a waste

blackflag

I have 30,000 iso I've saved up from the last few events. Was going to dump it into Spiderman when I get the rest of his covers today but not now.

I'm at 1,359 in Double shot so I'll definitely get that wolverine xforce. Hopefully they do make him useful.

If they slow the game down too much though, I'm going to just stop playing. I like the faster pace the skills provide now.

Lol that's what I was doing at the beginning but I started putting more into wolverine and Thor than anyone else

I've been trying to put more ISO in other guys too, so it'll be nice to see that tactic not be a waste

Yup. I have Wolverine at 85 and Thor at 65 as my standouts but everyone else is now 40-41. In an instance like this event it's a godsend. Sitting on a cap with 7000+ and a Hulk with like 9000+.

THANKS, GUISE!!!!

Wolvie and Thor are getting nerfed. I think it's to provide variety, not to replace, especially for new comers. If you're looking to upgrade Wolvie, top placement prize is Punisher who isn't too bad. Or wait for the upcoming 3-star Wolvie variant or wait for the 4-star buff.

Gotchaye

I was already annoyed at shields making tournaments more of a grind, but this was mitigated by easier access to progression rewards. The new Hulk tournament has the same number of rewards but it tops out at 1600 instead of 1400. Not cool. I'm much less enthusiastic about the game now that they seem to be taking steps to make everything take longer.

Wolvie and Thor are getting nerfed. I think it's to provide variety, not to replace, especially for new comers. If you're looking to upgrade Wolvie, top placement prize is Punisher who isn't too bad. Or wait for the upcoming 3-star Wolvie variant or wait for the 4-star buff.

Yep, I need an alternative for my Thor-Wolvie combo. But Ares look awful, there are better alternatives. Ares may work for a single match, but if you play constantly you'll need to heal it too often.

davepoobond

I was already annoyed at shields making tournaments more of a grind, but this was mitigated by easier access to progression rewards. The new Hulk tournament has the same number of rewards but it tops out at 1600 instead of 1400. Not cool. I'm much less enthusiastic about the game now that they seem to be taking steps to make everything take longer.

It's going to get worse as their profits on the game decline.

I wonder if they'll sell a complete version of the game down the road without all the monetization stuff. No idea what "preview edition" even means.

hamchan

Reached 1.1k for Double Shot, 1st place, then shielded myself. Will probably get overtaken in the last hour but I want at least 3 Spider-Man covers, though I won't be too unhappy with 2. Hopefully when people below me un-shield they all start attacking each other and destroying their points.

Gotchaye

Reached 1.1k for Double Shot, 1st place, then shielded myself. Will probably get overtaken in the last hour but I want at least 3 Spider-Man covers, though I won't be too unhappy with 2. Hopefully when people below me un-shield they all start attacking each other and destroying their points.

When did you join the tournament? 5th place in my bracket has 1384 points. Pretty sure I entered around 7 AM central time yesterday.

Edit: I'm actually curious about everyone else's brackets and join times too. Can we figure out when it's best to join these things?

hamchan

When did you join the tournament? 5th place in my bracket has 1384 points. Pretty sure I entered around 7 AM central time yesterday.

Edit: I'm actually curious about everyone else's brackets and join times too. Can we figure out when it's best to join these things?

I forgot the exact time but I joined really early in the tournament, only a few hours after it started I think. Played one match and then just sat there until these last 4 hours.

I'll be sure to note the times from now on. I don't really know if it sorts you into brackets based on MMR or whether it just fills a bracket up with the first people who enter.

I know i did bomb my MMR during those lighting rounds earlier.

Askani

I joined about 7 a.m. this morning central time. I played off and on for the morning and afternoon. Top in my group had like 1100-1200. Second and third was about 900-1000. They all were shielded. 4th was around 725-750. 5th-8th were way lower. About 350 - 550. When I shielded, I was 675-700 something and around 150 points above 6th and in 5th. I was out of health packs, so I bought the 3 hour shield. Timed it so I had 3 hours and 5 minutes until the event ended. Enough time to keep me protected, build up health packs and let me choose when I jumped back in based on my rank. The last hour I monitored the top list. About 15 minutes before the event ended, I dropped to 6th. Started attacking and won three or four times and was attacked once. I barely broke 800 to get the reward and ended up 4th with less than 1 minute to go when my last fight ended.

I knew when I finally joined a bracket there was no way I could catch the top guys, but I need Spidey covers so 5th or better was good for me. I think my sheild saved me about 325-350 points lost. I don't know if the attack rate changes when you sheild, but that's what the game reported to me.

I entered very early, and the top-5 was nearly always over 1000, the top-10 over 800.

I ended with 3 Dakken covers, but it was exactly what I wanted. I knew I was not going to be able to get more than 1 spiderman cover, and I needed 2 black Dakken to max the char, so I climbed up to 45 and shielded the last 3 hours.

I want to get the last black Original Black Widow, but the game already gave me 3 purple ones. I want a 3/5/5, but if I don't get a black one before I reach level 77, i'll use the purple one an get a 4/5/4. I hope that this don't screw the character.

davepoobond

I joined my top shot pretty early and I ended up being top 150 with only about 300 points or so. Not sure if that helps

Top Bottom