• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So I just started playing this. Few questions:

1) Can I sync a PC version with the iOS version?
2) I don't want to pay a dime. Should I spend all my gold on roster slots?

1. Pretty sure you can't yet at least with Android and PC.
2. Yes. Longer you play, more HP you get and I spend some on health packs especially on the last hour or so on tournies.

zulux21

until you get at least 10 slots you should funnel all HP to slots (you will likely want more but around 10 is the min to have some flexibility)

1) Yes

2) Yes. All on slots. Don't spend on cards, or even on shields, early on. Focus on a few characters on start to have a "max" roster early on (i recommend you that use 2-star characters as soon as possible, and use only 1-star characters that have 3 skills, that reach level 50, instead of 40). If you don't have enought slots, discard 1-star characters of 2-skills (venom, ylova, classic hawkeye, etc, juggernaut). Don't worry, you'll find more and more cards of those characters, later.

zulux21

1) Yes

2) Yes. All on slots. Don't spend on cards, or even on shields, early on. Focus on a few characters on start to have a "max" roster early on (i recommend you that use 2-star characters as soon as possible, and use only 1-star characters that have 3 skills, that reach level 50, instead of 40). If you don't have enought slots, discard 1-star characters of 2-skills (venom, ylova, classic hawkeye, etc, juggernaut). Don't worry, you'll find more and more cards of those characters, later.

personally I found juggernaut really useful... His high HP is solid for absorbing damage. (I ran storm, iron man, and jugs for a while)
then again level 40 or 50 cap didn't matter, I didn't get any 1 stars to level 40 before I moved onto a team of two stars (which I am still using lol)

hamchan

Actually being able to beat the lvl 240 squad makes me so happy. The last time the Hunt came around I didn't wasn't able to do 2 of the events in Alaska because I didn't have the characters. Now I can do all of them. Progression!

If you need help choosing what heroes to keep too here is a community voted tier list that's pretty up to date, except for Ragnarok and Grey Suit Black Widow not being the top anymore.

http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1789

Though yeah, I wouldn't sell anything that's 2 star or above. 3 stars and 4 stars are especially rare and hard to get, even if a lot of them suck.

zulux21

Actually being able to beat the lvl 240 squad makes me so happy. The last time the Hunt came around I didn't wasn't able to do 2 of the events in Alaska because I didn't have the characters. Now I can do all of them. Progression!

i can't do the second to last event because i am missing a character, and I can't do the last event because I don't feel lucky enough to have my level 50 team take out the 240s... even though I have taken out teams of 160 in the past lol.

(rags still scares me even with his nerf :p)

Gotchaye

I'm pretty relaxed about this event, really. The Heroic token reward for 200-400th place in the sub-events is basically just as valuable to me as a single Ares card, and the ISO difference isn't a huge deal given how much ISO you get just from playing the missions once each. I don't care that much about the Punishers for the overall event either, since my Punisher is already 2/2/3 and will probably be 4/3/5 after two of these Hulk tournaments. So I'm just playing all of the easy missions, and only once each, and raking in the ISO and standard tokens for minimal playtime.

blackflag

I'm pretty relaxed about this event, really. The Heroic token reward for 200-400th place in the sub-events is basically just as valuable to me as a single Ares card, and the ISO difference isn't a huge deal given how much ISO you get just from playing the missions once each. I don't care that much about the Punishers for the overall event either, since my Punisher is already 2/2/3 and will probably be 4/3/5 after two of these Hulk tournaments. So I'm just playing all of the easy missions, and only once each, and raking in the ISO and standard tokens for minimal playtime.

Yeah I'm not gonna go crazy either. My pun is 3/1/3 and I'm gonna do the same in the hulk event. Don't care about that Ares guy.

hamchan

Yeah will probably be chill for the hunt. I'm currently top 5 from just doing all the events to get the ISO rewards. Don't really care about Ares but if I stay in the top 50, that's already 4 covers done for him after a day of this event.

If you need help choosing what heroes to keep too here is a community voted tier list that's pretty up to date, except for Ragnarok and Grey Suit Black Widow not being the top anymore.

http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1789

Though yeah, I wouldn't sell anything that's 2 star or above. 3 stars and 4 stars are especially rare and hard to get, even if a lot of them suck.

What a great post-thanks for linking it.

shaowebb

personally I found juggernaut really useful... His high HP is solid for absorbing damage. (I ran storm, iron man, and jugs for a while)
then again level 40 or 50 cap didn't matter, I didn't get any 1 stars to level 40 before I moved onto a team of two stars (which I am still using lol)

I've ran that same team. Storm/Ironman/Juggs is great because Storm clears the board and gains AP really quickly for Ironman and Juggernaut's much cheaper abilities. Between Storm having 2 different moves to clear tiles and Juggernaut having his awesome green skill that clears tiles its pretty hard for anyone to use cast that utilize countdowns or webtiles. Even other Storms dont hold up vs it. Plus the extra AP also means that instead of having to occassionally sack Juggernaut's health to do headbutt for damage you can just feed your red into Repulsor Blast with Ironman and do pretty good. Plus he has you covered on Blue with his Freeon Blast if you get it.

Thor also works in Ironman's slot pretty well.

Thank you for all of the help guys!

How do I sync progress? Is it through Facebook? Can't seem to find any information on this via Google.
Pretty sure you can't sync with PC yet unless you were part of the closed beta. But you can sync iOS with Android or other iOS devices.

NomarTyme

Pretty much did this in the last event and still got top 300. Loving the the rubberband effect.

zulux21

I was not expecting the character that showed up in the hunt savage
devil dinosaur
o_O
I didn't know playable characters could have only 1 move lol.

Gotchaye

Just got a red classic Mag from a standard token XD

I just did too, actually. Up to level 41 now; maybe I'll get some use out of him before he goes the way of Ragnarok. I think that at this point my optimal LR team is all villains.

Meanwhile I'm fixing to make my big push in the Hulk tournament. My matchmaking rating is about as low as it's going to get and my Hulk is level 58 now. Hopefully my bracket lets me win 1st with only 1200 or so. I'll have to see how feasible the black Hulk at 1600 is.

That moment when you're facing 3 level 240, you are thinking each movement during 30 seconds and, suddenly, from nowhere, they made a cascade of 8 matches, with two criticals, that give them close to 40 PA.

That moment.

But, right now, it seems very feasible to be on top-50 on each challenge, to get 2 ares card, and be on top-50 global to get 2 punisher ones. If all the loops of the 3 challenges have the same rewards, in 9 days there is time to max Ares skills without problem.

shaowebb

Went back to playing to see if they patched anything else after the RAGS nerf...looks like drops have been further tweaked. Its putting out more of what I need now and far less of the stuff I've maxed. Around a 4th was all that came up as extras. Not bad. Also Hulk/Storm/Ironman is a ridiculously good team. Hulk generally takes the damage as most things are labeled for him for some reason. This keeps Storm and Ironman safe and Storm is an AP factory. Killed 2 characters without ever stopping to move a tile physically using this crew.

Went back to playing to see if they patched anything else after the RAGS nerf...looks like drops have been further tweaked. Its putting out more of what I need now and far less of the stuff I've maxed. Around a 4th was all that came up as extras. Not bad. Also Hulk/Storm/Ironman is a ridiculously good team. Hulk generally takes the damage as most things are labeled for him for some reason. This keeps Storm and Ironman safe and Storm is an AP factory. Killed 2 characters without ever stopping to move a tile physically using this crew.

Not really. You simply got luck. I got a good set of normal cards 3 weeks ago, with a lot of ** and *** characters. I got a good set two weeks ago, gathering three *** characters in a couple of days. I got lucky a week ago, getting 4 cards of original BW, that I wanted to max. If you play long, you'll get sometimes good cards. And sometimes you'll get lucky two or three times on a row, and you'll think that they are changing the way the drop goes. But is simply luck.

Gotchaye

Not really. You simply got luck. I got a good set of normal cards 3 weeks ago, with a lot of ** and *** characters. I got a good set two weeks ago, gathering three *** characters in a couple of days. I got lucky a week ago, getting 4 cards of original BW, that I wanted to max. If you play long, you'll get sometimes good cards. And sometimes you'll get lucky two or three times on a row, and you'll think that they are changing the way the drop goes. But is simply luck.

Yes, with the small numbers involved, random draws are going to exhibit a lot of streakiness. For example, if we're talking about a single character, and you have a specific 5/5/3 build in mind, you need on average 19.1 draws of any cover of that character before you can complete your build. About 40% of the time you end up needing 20+ draws. That means that for a whole bunch of your characters you're going to find yourself drawing 7+ covers that you have no use for before you get the last cover of the right color you need. But on the other hand about 5% of the time you get everything you need with no waste.

shaowebb

Yes, with the small numbers involved, random draws are going to exhibit a lot of streakiness. For example, if we're talking about a single character, and you have a specific 5/5/3 build in mind, you need on average 19.1 draws of any cover of that character before you can complete your build. About 40% of the time you end up needing 20+ draws. That means that for a whole bunch of your characters you're going to find yourself drawing 7+ covers that you have no use for before you get the last cover of the right color you need. But on the other hand about 5% of the time you get everything you need with no waste.

Out of 12 covers I had only 3 that were for things I already had. Way better than my normal luck. Here's hoping it wasn't a fluke and they incorporated some sort of balancer into the system to help with odds. If it goes back to being like my old luck though I'll head back out. Nothing will be worse than my bagman Spidery incident for me. At least now its not shoving Hawkeye and Yelena's down my throat. I even got a few more uncommon Storms out of that deal and filled out her moveset.

I just did too, actually. Up to level 41 now; maybe I'll get some use out of him before he goes the way of Ragnarok. I think that at this point my optimal LR team is all villains.

Meanwhile I'm fixing to make my big push in the Hulk tournament. My matchmaking rating is about as low as it's going to get and my Hulk is level 58 now. Hopefully my bracket lets me win 1st with only 1200 or so. I'll have to see how feasible the black Hulk at 1600 is.

Lol just pulled another red Mags from a standard token. WTF? 2 in 1 day. Insane.

Out of 12 covers I had only 3 that were for things I already had. Way better than my normal luck. Here's hoping it wasn't a fluke and they incorporated some sort of balancer into the system to help with odds. If it goes back to being like my old luck though I'll head back out. Nothing will be worse than my bagman Spidery incident for me. At least now its not shoving Hawkeye and Yelena's down my throat. I even got a few more uncommon Storms out of that deal and filled out her moveset.

I don't know, my Standard chits have given me something like 5 Venoms in a row. : /

It's so much fun to tear through The Hunt again with a better team. I'm focusing my ISO on Hulk and Cap for this event I think. Having a bench with baseline of 40 I think is plenty high. I'm going to start focusing on leveling up individual characters I think. But not too high. Right now I've boosters those two to 45 and I'm sitting on like 4k ISO trying to figure on my next move. I know some of it will go to Ares after I get his second cover at noon but wherefore the rest?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I honestly think most of this is RNG I don't think they've really tweaked anything for the standard tokens. If anything they would make the standard tokens weaker and the specialized tokens a little more rewarding if they were going to do anything.

With that said, I've gotten a few good pulls from the standard recently.

shaowebb

Huh. Got an Ares with Green. So does this mean if I have 10 green tiles he only hits for 140? If so thats kind of crap...I must be reading this wrong. Anyone here use him yet?

hamchan

Huh. Got an Ares with Green. So does this mean if I have 10 green tiles he only hits for 140? If so thats kind of crap...I must be reading this wrong. Anyone here use him yet?

Well yeah, he'll do 140 damage if he only has 1 cover in Green and is still lvl 6. At lvl 85 he'll do much more damage.

zulux21

hmmmm
I climbed up a lot faster than expected...
6jgyG.jpg

I was just goofing around in the last 30 minutes trying to get high enough to get the hero coins with the moon stone reward lol.

shaowebb

Streak continues. I dont know if they changed the cover payouts or balanced it or what, but it sure FEELS that way since trying out the Ragnarok patch version. Almost like clockwork out of every 4 covers I get only one is a dud tied to a power capped character. I even gave it a shot by spending iso on a cover directly after getting another Juggernaut since thats one of my powercapped characters and I get a Daken who I really needed stuff for.

If this is luck its the longest run I could imagine because I've been playing this Ares/Hulk series of events. I already got Ares Green and Yellow and Im sitting firmly on the ranks needed to get one more of each of those and a Red cover alongside of some stuff in the Hulk tourney.

How have the payouts been on recruit tokens for everyone else since Ragnarok? Mine have been so far removed from my previous experience that I'm ready to believe some balancing occurred on them.

Well yeah, he'll do 140 damage if he only has 1 cover in Green and is still lvl 6. At lvl 85 he'll do much more damage.

At two (not the same color)covers he max levels at level 7 for me right now. If you got multiples of his green cover could you tell me what the damage increases to for you and how he's playing currently? He seems like another risk reward heavy like my Juggernaut.

BTW Storm is now farming so well with my Wolverine/Ironman/and Venom that I no longer have to resort to pulling out Widow. Life is good.

Triz

I havent pulled a cover I can use from tokens in I dont know how long. Granted I have 28 characters and I think all my 2 and 1 stars are maxed for covers.

How have the payouts been on recruit tokens for everyone else since Ragnarok? Mine have been so far removed from my previous experience that I'm ready to believe some balancing occurred on them.

Its been crap im getting *s i dont see any change what so ever. You are just lucky.

shaowebb

Its been crap im getting *s i dont see any change what so ever. You are just lucky.

1 stars you've capped the power level on or just 1 stars? Im talking about getting 1 stars that've already capped changing for me. I still get my fair share of Yelena's to sell, but I'm not getting shat upon with cover upon cover of stuff I literally can't use now. Im not gonna spend cash to test my thoughts over on some gold star character though.

Still think they should have like a 3000 iso 2 star pricepoint area for covers in the shop and an even higher tier one for specific covers and colors.

1 stars you've capped the power level on or just 1 stars? Im talking about getting 1 stars that've already capped changing for me. I still get my fair share of Yelena's to sell, but I'm not getting shat upon with cover upon cover of stuff I literally can't use now. Im not gonna spend cash to test my thoughts over on some gold star character though.

Still think they should have like a 3000 iso 2 star pricepoint area for covers in the shop and an even higher tier one for specific covers and colors.

All my 1*s are maxed and I still get rains and rains of shitty 1* covers that I literally can't use.

shaowebb

All my 1*s are maxed and I still get rains and rains of shitty 1* covers that I literally can't use.

Hmm....I haven't hit that point yet so my perspective is different than yours I guess. I'd send that feedback to them and push for the higher iso pricepoint 2 star thing or to create new 1 star cast soon. I could see Heroes 4 Hire as 1 stars...but that takes art and balance testing. Mainly, I say give the feedback that for high level folks there needs to be a way to play to reach 2 stars more often so ask for a high iso 2 star thing in the shop. I'll dump that feedback to them as well.

Hmm....I haven't hit that point yet so my perspective is different than yours I guess. I'd send that feedback to them and push for the higher iso pricepoint 2 star thing or to create new 1 star cast soon. I could see Heroes 4 Hire as 1 stars...but that takes art and balance testing. Mainly, I say give the feedback that for high level folks there needs to be a way to play to reach 2 stars more often so ask for a high iso 2 star thing in the shop. I'll dump that feedback to them as well.

I mean, to be fair, I'm not that high level either. Somewhere in between. Still super happy to get a majority of the stuff I do. I just happen to have maxed out all my 1s. (And Wolverine, and Thor, and Cap. Hm. I guess maybe I am high level lofl)

shaowebb

I mean, to be fair, I'm not that high level either. Somewhere in between. Still super happy to get a majority of the stuff I do. I just happen to have maxed out all my 1s. (And Wolverine, and Thor, and Cap. Hm. I guess maybe I am high level lofl)

This is a design issue though for them to consider...after the 1stars are gone are the rate of 2 star drops and leveling enough to keep people playing? I think adding a very high ISO goal in the shop for such players to shoot for would give them a much stronger drive to keep playing than just hoping for the random 2 star cover to be useful as the drop rate on those is much lower and just as hard to get what you need. It'd need to be around 3000-5000 iso though other wise a couple good 500 iso drops and your set. This way it'd take 6 straight 500 iso drops minimal to 10 of those to get a 2 star. Only downside is if someone rages and gets a turd instead of leveling after hoarding. Im looking at you Bagman Spiderman (should not be a 2 star at ALL)

Also for those interested there is a Puzzle Quest sale on Challenge of the Warlords and Galactrix right now on Steam.

Here's the thread with links to the $0.99 sale

Also I linked to the patch for the expansion that modders put into the steam version for those that want it.

Top Bottom