• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

What Clearance level/bracket are you joining? I'm in CL7 usually bracket 5 and the top 20 is all people doing min 6 clears.

CL7, last slice, but the trick to joining late enough is that you can avoid out on the most competitive players. Mind you, I'm not getting top 5 or anything, but top 10 is possible and top 50 is almost guaranteed (even in Prodigal Sun, if I had stopped at 4 clears I would have been somewhere around top 30/35 or so).

zulux21

2/4/4 from the legendary tokens? jeeze, that's hella good luck, even with the 10% rate

He's probably talking about 3 star Strange.

yup I am totally talking about the 3 star one >.>

I don't have 720 cp per cover for a 5 star... well to be fair I don't have the 5 star version either but that is besides the point :p

But he was talking about CP?

yes... you can buy 3 star covers for 20CP.

I'm not planning on champing any 4 star for like a year at this point so I don't mind pausing my cp spending on 4 stars in order to get a proper working strange to use on goon nodes and make them go faster.

the plan for now is to finish champing my 3 stars, and then work on getting all of my 4 stars besides prof x to level 180 or so... and then just collect iso until I have like 75 mil then I will finally champ a bunch of 4 stars.

I really don't feel like scaling myself out of using my 3 stars effectively in PVE and I don't really play PVP so having a high level roster isn't in my best interest.

The good news is that they cap out at 1000 so it won't get worse.

The bad news is that you need more. Always. I have one 1* and five 2* covers....and 87 3, 4 & 5 stars. It's brutal.

I have a few extras right now >.> though I have 108 slots and am missing a few 5 stars and the new venom.

brickface

The good news is that they cap out at 1000 so it won't get worse.

The bad news is that you need more. Always. I have one 1* and five 2* covers....and 87 3, 4 & 5 stars. It's brutal.

Woo!

I actually managed to get that Wasp I was going on about a few pages back rostered after Venom. But then I think I'm on track for getting Medusa from the PVE so I might have to sell off Wasp to make room. Unless I can get another thousand points within two weeks.

yup I am totally talking about the 3 star one >.>

I don't have 720 cp per cover for a 5 star... well to be fair I don't have the 5 star version either but that is besides the point :p

yes... you can buy 3 star covers for 20CP.

I'm not planning on champing any 4 star for like a year at this point so I don't mind pausing my cp spending on 4 stars in order to get a proper working strange to use on goon nodes and make them go faster.

the plan for now is to finish champing my 3 stars, and then work on getting all of my 4 stars besides prof x to level 180 or so... and then just collect iso until I have like 75 mil then I will finally champ a bunch of 4 stars.

I really don't feel like scaling myself out of using my 3 stars effectively in PVE and I don't really play PVP so having a high level roster isn't in my best interest.

I get where you're coming from but I still think you should save your CP for 4* + covers.

I made the switch away from PVP to PVE about 18 months ago and I enjoy the game so much more.That having been said I'm also ok with a much slower trickle of covers and know I'm ages away from getting usable 5* characters.

Spoit

Yeah, unless you're cover capped on a bunch of 4*s, and ISO starved, a random pull on the old legendary tokens is probably a lot more useful

zulux21

I get where you're coming from but I still think you should save your CP for 4* + covers.

I made the switch away from PVP to PVE about 18 months ago and I enjoy the game so much more.That having been said I'm also ok with a much slower trickle of covers and know I'm ages away from getting usable 5* characters.

the cp would likely just be extra ant man covers anyways :p

it's not like 3-4 pulls is going to make a huge difference. I would rather just have 3 star strange and use him and finish champing all my 3 stars including him :p

plus I wouldn't be surprised if we get 5-10 more 3 stars next year (as dual releases with 5 stars) so it would be nice to keep using my 3 stars when they aren't boosted.

Yeah, unless you're cover capped on a bunch of 4*s, and ISO starved, a random pull on the old legendary tokens is probably a lot more useful

I really can't see how 3k iso from dupe covers or if I am luckier a few covers in characters I can't use is more useful than quickly building up an actual useful character that in the long run will likely earn me back the CP as i use on him as I will be more likely to grind goon nodes. *shrugs*

beyond that, like I said I have absolutely no interest in moving onto champing 4 stars at least not until I have a number of 3 stars in the 230+ range.

the game is designed in such a way that leveling your roster as high and as fast as possible is basically the worst thing to do if you want to just casually play :/

zulux21

Renewed VIP today and pulled a red 5* BW. She has 5 covers now, but I still don't have her black...

ah thanks for the CP. You guys sadly won't ever get anymore from me since MPQ is on my absolutely never spend money on again list right now :p

the game is designed in such a way that leveling your roster as high and as fast as possible is basically the worst thing to do if you want to just casually play :/

I think this is something that high level players tend to forget when thinking about roster building. Taking anyone to 270+ basically only helps you in PvP (and even that's as long as you're okay with consistently fighting other characters that high) and arguably actively hurts you in PvE. If you don't care about PvP, the only reason to take your 4* that high are the champ rewards.

zulux21

I think this is something that high level players tend to forget when thinking about roster building. Taking anyone to 270+ basically only helps you in PvP (and even that's as long as you're okay with consistently fighting other characters that high) and arguably actively hurts you in PvE. If you don't care about PvP, the only reason to take your 4* that high are the champ rewards.

basically.
3 star champs go to 270... at that point is when it will be best to start champing 4 stars... though I will likely do some earlier. but I just can't see a reason to rush into 4 star land given how much it shuts off being able to use a large chunk of your 3 star roster unless it is boosted.

beyond that... I still can't really see a reason to invest in a 4 star roster

I mean by the time I have a mostly covered 4 star roster I will likely have 5 stars that should be used instead.

either way already spent 20CP on strange...

basically.
3 star champs go to 270... at that point is when it will be best to start champing 4 stars... though I will likely do some earlier. but I just can't see a reason to rush into 4 star land given how much it shuts off being able to use a large chunk of your 3 star roster unless it is boosted.

beyond that... I still can't really see a reason to invest in a 4 star roster

I mean by the time I have a mostly covered 4 star roster I will likely have 5 stars that should be used instead.

either way already spent 20CP on strange...

I'm not going to be as cautious as you since my 5* roster doesn't look too bad at the moment (so I'll be able to mix them in with those champed 4*), but even then I'm not going to max any 4* until I can do at least 2-4 of them at the same time. The thing I really want to minimize is the situation where you have 1 4* boosted to 370 during the week, and then no one above around 270, as that will really fuck up your scaling in PvE.

Edit: The one thing I will say, though, is that it's going to be harder to build a 5 star roster the further you wait to do it, as long as building one is dependent on RNG from Legendary Tokens.

Spoit

Fair enough. PvE is better than it used to be, with only needing 4+4 clears, instead of one every 2.5 hours, but I'd still rather have a root canal than play it regularly. Or, like, at all.

The only thing that made the Agent Venom ones tolerable was boosted JG, against a fair number of goon nodes

I just hit level 32 and I can enter CL7 but I'm not sure if I can use the 4 star rewards from progression. No slots.

Might stay on CL6, I need 3-star covers

I don't know why I didn't take the 2am slot for this event. Can barely break into top100. Have to grind like mad.

Unless everyone is playing now trying to get medusa.

zulux21

I don't know why I didn't take the 2am slot for this event. Can barely break into top100. Have to grind like mad.

Unless everyone is playing now trying to get medusa.

medusa looks like a solid character on paper so it wouldn't be surprising if people are after her.

Spoit

Bah, if you were just able to self-trigger Drax's purple, I'd be able to beat this DDQ node easily. But with only 1 black cover, it's not even worth going for it, since that just ends your turn and makes it easier for SL to use his powers

zulux21

Bah, if you were just able to self-trigger Drax's purple, I'd be able to beat this DDQ node easily. But with only 1 black cover, it's not even worth going for it, since that just ends your turn and makes it easier for SL to use his powers

I used it to up my black power still... I managed to do it at 1/1/4 for my drax at level 120 or so barely.

it is really dumb he can't trigger his own purple... right up there with spider gwen not healing herself.

don't understand those limitations at all as neither would put either character in top tier with that change.

Spoit

I used it to up my black power still... I managed to do it at 1/1/4 for my drax at level 120 or so barely.

it is really dumb he can't trigger his own purple... right up there with spider gwen not healing herself.

don't understand those limitations at all as neither would put either character in top tier with that change.

It also ends the turn for some reason too. Despite the fact that it's not even THAT great damage in the first place! I give up after using all my match damage boosts.

And also give up on pve, joined a stale (tier 7 even) bracket, with a bunch of 5* people already topping it

zulux21

It also ends the turn for some reason too. Despite the fact that it's not even THAT great damage in the first place! I give up after using all my match damage boosts.

And also give up on pve, joined a stale (tier 7 even) bracket, with a bunch of 5* people already topping it

yeah the end the turn is weird as well.

I mean it's 8ap to do 7578 damage with the risk of the tile being matched before hand by triggering another power next turn.

looking at some other characters quickly.
jean gray - 10ap for 3888 damage to the whole team and board control.
kate bishop - 10 ap Creates 5 strength 181 Strike tiles and a 2-turn Purple Countdown tile that removes up to 3 friendly Strike tiles and deals 7650 damage.
bucky- 8ap inter Soldier’s sniper shot deals 1441 damage and steals 4 enemy AP of that color. (aka bucky sucks :p)

I mean arguably both blade and deadpool have stronger purple powers at max level and they are 3 stars.

Playing PvE solely for top 10 finishes is still a fools errand unless you get a lucky slice. Right now, for you, I'd say get your four clears in, get your 10CP and a 4 star cover, and get out. Which is how I play PvP at the moment (get to 575 for the 10CP and quit). I stay in PvE because I still don't have a fully covered 4* (12 Dino, 11 Jean, Peggy, Kingpin, Thing, and X-Force Wolvie), so I'd need a ton of shields and/or Line to even get to 900, let alone 1200.

zulux21

Playing PvE solely for top 10 finishes is still a fools errand unless you get a lucky slice. Right now, for you, I'd say get your four clears in, get your 10CP and a 4 star cover, and get out. Which is how I play PvP at the moment (get to 575 for the 10CP and quit). I stay in PvE because I still don't have a fully covered 4* (12 Dino, 11 Jean, Peggy, Kingpin, Thing, and X-Force Wolvie), so I'd need a ton of shields and/or Line to even get to 900, let alone 1200.

yeah I wanted medusa but I knew I wouldn't get her unless I grinded my ass off for a top 100.

I figure I will just devote that amount of time to getting teen jean this event (already got) and medusa next event.

Is venom bomb the one that has carnage everywhere? if so it will be easy since doc oc murderizes that event so hard @_@

either way with 3 different teams I can cycle between for high level nodes it isn't to bad to grind right now.

team 1: kamala khan + iron man 40 + 4 star cycles
team 2: Iron fist + OML + Doctor Strange
team 3: Charlie's angels gimped version (my charlie still needs 2 more blue covers but still works quite well)

I'm hoping I can pull off a top100 finish so I can get a KK cover. Had to do 6/6 clears for most nodes to hang in there. Lucky GSBW+IM40+Daken is a good team and they all boosted.

Venom Bomb is gonna suck. Don't have anyone to clear all the crap the symbiotes and carnage drop.

I'm hoping I can pull off a top100 finish so I can get a KK cover. Had to do 6/6 clears for most nodes to hang in there. Lucky GSBW+IM40+Daken is a good team and they all boosted.

Venom Bomb is gonna suck. Don't have anyone to clear all the crap the symbiotes and carnage drop.

At the two star level, Mags can clear out tiles in general with all his powers, Storm can with Green (but you have to hide her), and Moonstone can flip them for you with 5 black.

Spoit

Yeah, that's why I don't bother with it for anything other than the new releases. And even then, only if I get a good bracket.

There's nothing else that's worth the rewards. Except for when they are nice and have a boosted JG or iceman, 4 clears is easily more than an hour. And how many days do you have to do to get even the 10 CP? Totally not worth it

Yeah, that's why I don't bother with it for anything other than the new releases. And even then, only if I get a good bracket.

There's nothing else that's worth the rewards. Except for when they are nice and have a boosted JG or iceman, 4 clears is easily more than an hour. And how many days do you have to do to get even the 10 CP? Totally not worth it

On a 3 day event, you'd probably get 5CP the first day, and the other 5CP either the second or very early in the 3rd. And that's in addition to the 3 star covers. I want to say that they said that the goal as far as points was to make 2 clears a day enough for the 4 star cover, and 4 clears a day enough to max progression, more or less. And the only thing that really screws that up is wave nodes.

Edit: And this event has a boosted Teen Jean. I've been using her, IM40 (also boosted) and Switch and have been blowing through basically every node except the Teen Jean node today (which is one of the hardest in the game, IMO).

I'm on track for a top 100 finish in this PvE, which will be the first time in a while getting a new character right away. Did 4 clears right away as the sub-event started, and I'll start the day today with the 5th clear, and do the last one a bit before it ends. Should be a solid result.

As for PvP, my new strategy is actually pretty similar to my old one I posted here a long time ago, where right away I get to 300 pts, the next day I get to 575, and then within the last few hours work up towards the top. I can almost always hit 800 but sometimes get lucky enough for 900.

I don't know how you guys get such grindy brackets. Are you joining before it starts or immediately after? I often don't even play the first day or at least the first 12 hours. I have trouble NOT being in the top 100, even for new releases. This is in CL7.

Triz

^^^Truth.

Wait 12 hours join the slice, clears out the first 1000 super grinders.

Clearance Level 7 hit a top 50 for the Medusa cover.

zulux21

I don't know how you guys get such grindy brackets. Are you joining before it starts or immediately after? I often don't even play the first day or at least the first 12 hours. I have trouble NOT being in the top 100, even for new releases. This is in CL7.

that doesn't work 100% of the time sadly.

sometimes you end up getting shoved into a mostly full already grinded to death bracket :(

sometimes you end up getting shoved into a mostly full already grinded to death bracket :(

We let each other know in the chat when our slice fills up. Also the D3 forums have threads for every event telling the numbers in different brackets. It is easy to get a fresh one if you are patient.

At the two star level, Mags can clear out tiles in general with all his powers, Storm can with Green (but you have to hide her), and Moonstone can flip them for you with 5 black.

Yeah I forgot I had these characters. I'll have to see if I can had hide Storm.

I forgot how brutal some of those nodes are in the last sub of HoD. That last Ghost Rider fight I barely made it on first try. Awful board

Blank!

I joined #1000 (it was 994 30 minutes ago so figured I was safe... nope) in cl7 for the medusa event on the 2nd sub (the entire bracket skipped the first sub). I'm in the top 100. 7 clears got me to ~87, wouldn't be surprised if I break top 50 (not that it makes a difference, it's like +250 ISO? ).

If you join a bracket on the next sub and you missed the first, then yeah, you're boned. You can still hit progression and safety skip the first sub if you're willing to grind it down.

(EDIT) last sub of HoD hasn't been too much trouble for me. Boosted IM with 3* Cap and SWitch has been my go to. You can boost yellow to accelerate the match and get rolling faster. Capt is practically 1-shotting people with his red and SWitch does her thing and helps top off the red/blue with her green. I finish the 2nd/3rd matches with IM's blue/SWitch green (to get 1 more blue to double shot it).

Spoit

Bah, I wasted like 30 tacos on health packs to discover that the X-23 cover is the one that I already had maxed anyway! 0/5/0 D:

Dalek

Dammmit. My Carnage is 5/4/3 and i have probably pulled 12 Red covers for him since getttng 5 red. It really sucks.

Spoit

Eh, I'm not convinced that fury is worth champing anyway. I've probably tossed out dozens of his covers at this point

zulux21

Yeah, I'm 2/5/5 for my Nick Fury and this weekend alone I've pulled two blue covers I didn't need/can't use.

4 of my last 6 pulls have been miles.

he is now 4/5/2 for me when I think he was 3/1/1 like 2 weeks ago @_@

hopefully he is one of the characters in line for a boost sometime. Fury should get one too sometime.

Eh, I'm not convinced that fury is worth champing anyway. I've probably tossed out dozens of his covers at this point
He is worth it just for demolition. I use him with Starlord which makes it cheap. Just yesterday I had 21 demolition tiles on the board at one time. That's about 30k damage to the enemy who matches it.

The minute I do that I'll get the cover I need.
Great! Problem solved!

I'd have a hard time blowing 120cp on a single cover. I think I'm sitting on at least 300 and there's no way I could do it.
I think it is better than continuing to waste extra covers and not being able to respec if needed. I just did it for teen Jean and it both allowed me to champ her and prevented another wasted cover.
I'll only do it for the better characters though. X23 will probably be next.

Dalek

Man-I screwed up! I always join the last slice for PVE events-but I think I joined a different one for Venom Bomb by mistake and now I didn't score any points at all in the first round which has ended. No Medusa for me I guess. I sent a ticket to support, but I doubt anything will happen.

zulux21

Man-I screwed up! I always join the last slice for PVE events-but I think I joined a different one for Venom Bomb by mistake and now I didn't score any points at all in the first round which has ended. No Medusa for me I guess. I sent a ticket to support, but I doubt anything will happen.

if you grind the other rounds 4 hits each you should still be able to get her even if you can't do her nodes. if you can do her nodes because you got a top 100 then 3 times each should still get you the red cover.

I mean the first round is only worth like 15k points of 65k plus you need for full progression o.o;

Dalek

if you grind the other rounds 4 hits each you should still be able to get her even if you can't do her nodes. if you can do her nodes because you got a top 100 then 3 times each should still get you the red cover.

I mean the first round is only worth like 15k points of 65k plus you need for full progression o.o;

Ok I'll try it.

In other news-I see I'm getting a black Carnage cover as a daily login reward in 6 days, so problem solved there.

Top Bottom