• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

zulux21

Looking like that may not be for another month. No way I'm stockpiling for that long, though.

with her not being added with the new season I am more leaning towards they might be introducing a new system to deal with the diluted 4/5 star pools. but even if not eh... not a huge deal.

I will save until she is added as there isn't a huge need for me to pull a bunch right now anyways.

I already have prof x for the current event and even if I pulled nothing but moon knight i don't think I can do the next DDQ clash so yeah...

with her not being added with the new season I am more leaning towards they might be introducing a new system to deal with the diluted 4/5 star pools. but even if not eh... not a huge deal.

I will save until she is added as there isn't a huge need for me to pull a bunch right now anyways.

I already have prof x for the current event and even if I pulled nothing but moon knight i don't think I can do the next DDQ clash so yeah...

It's not about introducing anything, unfortunately, just bad timing. 4* characters usually don't get added to legendaries until the season after their PvP event, and since her PvP is the first event of this season, the idea is that she won't get added until the start of next season.

Dalek

Anyone else feel like this PVE is way harder than normal? Maybe I joined a harder level and the enemies have more HP than normal because my fights are taking forever. I didn't clear anywhere close to 4 clears per node. sucks.

Anyone else feel like this PVE is way harder than normal? Maybe I joined a harder level and the enemies have more HP than normal because my fights are taking forever. I didn't clear anywhere close to 4 clears per node. sucks.

Clearance level doesn't effect enemy levels. It might be that you leveled up characters and it increased the average level you're fighting against.

Or it might be that the first node has a lot of Muscles and Juggernaut, both of whom have high HP levels.

NineH

Or it might be that the first node has a lot of Muscles and Juggernaut, both of whom have high HP levels.

Even with a champed X23 and Cyclops, the muscles and hood node wrecked me easily since they placed their strike and countdown tiles where I couldn't match them in time.

Also, I got so lucky with the taco vaults this week as I got both 4 stars in 7 tokens so that was pretty awesome.

Blank!

Even with a champed X23 and Cyclops, the muscles and hood node wrecked me easily since they placed their strike and countdown tiles where I couldn't match them in time.

Also, I got so lucky with the taco vaults this week as I got both 4 stars in 7 tokens so that was pretty awesome.

Too late for this probably, but 2* mag is a beast in PvE with his bugged ability costs. You can go 5 blue for a complete board wipe too, throw in Ms Marvel for a 5-yellow instant explosion. Works well with his red too.

I haven't tried it, but you should be able to use your own hood to counter his hood too. Or the bugged 2* OBW for more steal/tile delay.

Strange/IF will also drop hood/goons fast.

zulux21

Strange/IF will also drop hood/goons fast.

you know what else melts things really fast.

strange + thanos lol.

you have to use a health pack on strange every few battles, but having strange melt hood as goons fire off stuff, and then thanos explodes with his fury, typically knocking one of the goons down quite a bit, and then you target that one and explodes again after it dies getting the last one mostly killed.

I was running OML and those two, and was killing nodes very quickly with little care for AP in general.

Dalek

X23 progress update:

Level 249 with 9 days 17 hours left on my cover.

Can I reasonably "pause" this to focus leveling up Moon Knight for his Crash on Tuesday?

I'll probably be stockpiling my CP and legendary tokens for the next bit. In the last two weeks I've championed Kingpin and Iceboy, and am about 15 levels away from Punisher.

I've got like four or five 4-stars that are fully covered but hanging around Lv 150-175, waiting for that last cover. And I need some time to champion my 2-stars again, in that point of the cycle, haha.

So I'll stockpile, champion a few 2-stars and then, one by one, redeem a token and see if it'll trigger a rush to champion a new one or just add a level. This way I'm not stretching myself too thin and all that.

Also, man, a championed Iceboy is awesome.

Arg. I tried a couple of PVP events recently (haven't really touched PVP in months) and it looks like my scaling is screwed. I am in 300th place with a roster of champed 3* characters going up against nothing but 4* teams in the 350+ range. There's really no chance to compete.

Triz

Arg. I tried a couple of PVP events recently (haven't really touched PVP in months) and it looks like my scaling is screwed. I am in 300th place with a roster of champed 3* characters going up against nothing but 4* teams in the 350+ range. There's really no chance to compete.

Im in the same boat, except that now I have a dozen champed 4* stars and can actually compete. The last time it happened It was my Silver Surfer stupidly raised to 315. I think having Hulkbuster at 278 is what sent me to the other brackets.

Im in the same boat, except that now I have a dozen champed 4* stars and can actually compete. The last time it happened It was my Silver Surfer stupidly raised to 315. I think having Hulkbuster at 278 is what sent me to the other brackets.

It's frustrating that I can't even compete. I have nine unusable 5* characters and only four champed 4* ones. Even though all of them are pretty anemic (Hulkbuster aside) the system still puts me against 20-30k HP opponents. A 3* roster can't do anything there.

zulux21

It's frustrating that I can't even compete. I have nine unusable 5* characters and only four champed 4* ones. Even though all of them are pretty anemic (Hulkbuster aside) the system still puts me against 20-30k HP opponents. A 3* roster can't do anything there.

you can still crawl up alright. I mean in that case I can only do 6-10 matches typically but KK keeps my team healthy enough to deal with the high end opponents most of the time.

X23 progress update:

Level 249 with 9 days 17 hours left on my cover.

Can I reasonably "pause" this to focus leveling up Moon Knight for his Crash on Tuesday?

Sorry to take so long, but it looks like 249 to 270 costs 83K or so, so basically 9 days for 93-95K (I forget how much champ costs are for 4*). If you have a 2 star that's close to max, you can definitely do it. If you're close to breaking a shield rank, you can probably do it. If not, then I don't know if I would.

Dalek

Sorry to take so long, but it looks like 249 to 270 costs 83K or so, so basically 9 days for 93-95K (I forget how much champ costs are for 4*). If you have a 2 star that's close to max, you can definitely do it. If you're close to breaking a shield rank, you can probably do it. If not, then I don't know if I would.

Ok. Hmmmmm. Tough decisions. To compound it, I just fully covered Quake. First world problems abound.

Blank!

I'm a little confused by this. You aren't in 3* if you have 4 4*'s champed, especially if one is Hulkbuster. That's a 4* roster and you're going to run into 4* scaling. The game doesn't care you decided to level up some mediocre 4*'s (I'm guessing anyway by your comments). You're always going to hit a point where you're fighting uphill battles. I can't break 700 without running into 4* land (or picking 20-30 point matches which aren't worth my time).

I'm not sure where you're placing but 575 should suffice and net you top 100 (yay 2* covers). You can stretch for 725 and usually get top 50 (yay 3* covers).

It's a shitty system. By the time you can effectively hit the 3* progression/placement, you're in 4* land. By the time you can hit the 4* progression cover/placement, you're in 5* land.

I'm a little confused by this. You aren't in 3* if you have 4 4*'s champed, especially if one is Hulkbuster. That's a 4* roster and you're going to run into 4* scaling. The game doesn't care you decided to level up some mediocre 4*'s (I'm guessing anyway by your comments). You're always going to hit a point where you're fighting uphill battles. I can't break 700 without running into 4* land (or picking 20-30 point matches which aren't worth my time).

I'm not sure where you're placing but 575 should suffice and net you top 100 (yay 2* covers). You can stretch for 725 and usually get top 50 (yay 3* covers).

It's a shitty system. By the time you can effectively hit the 3* progression/placement, you're in 4* land. By the time you can hit the 4* progression cover/placement, you're in 5* land.

The idea is supposed to be that by the time you're in 3 star land, you can hit 800 and get those covers, and by the time you're in 4 star land, you can hit 900 and get those covers. But the problem is that neither of those are true without shielding multiple times (especially if you're in the wrong slice).

zulux21

The idea is supposed to be that by the time you're in 3 star land, you can hit 800 and get those covers, and by the time you're in 4 star land, you can hit 900 and get those covers. But the problem is that neither of those are true without shielding multiple times (especially if you're in the wrong slice).

yeah... 700 isn't to bad... 800 isn't the end of the world.. more than that though you are going to get destroyed with anything that isn't a champed 4 star team once you have a few 5 stars on your roster :/

I get where you're coming from, but I'll echo what Whodoyathink said above - there really is a huge disconnect when moving from 3 - 4 * territory. I had every 3* champed for months before Strange & Thanos showed up but really don't have the muscle to displace a character with 4* health.

I don't think that having four champed characters puts you into that tier's territory to be honest. Seven or eight maybe, as that gives you a couple of cycles to run through. The vast majority of my 4* characters are still between level 70 - 100. That having been said I'm not sure of an alternative solution that would work. I'm pretty conservative with leveling my roster and I guess I'd just prefer it if the game scaled more directly to that as opposed to what level my "top X number" of characters is.

I dunno. I am pretty careful not to pull Legendary tokens or spend ISO unless absolutely necessary so maybe my use case isn't normal.

I get where you're coming from, but I'll echo what Whodoyathink said above - there really is a huge disconnect when moving from 3 - 4 * territory. I had every 3* champed for months before Strange & Thanos showed up but really don't have the muscle to displace a character with 4* health.

I don't think that having four champed characters puts you into that tier's territory to be honest. Seven or eight maybe, as that gives you a couple of cycles to run through. The vast majority of my 4* characters are still between level 70 - 100. That having been said I'm not sure of an alternative solution that would work. I'm pretty conservative with leveling my roster and I guess I'd just prefer it if the game scaled more directly to that as opposed to what level my "top X number" of characters is.

I dunno. I am pretty careful not to pull Legendary tokens or spend ISO unless absolutely necessary so maybe my use case isn't normal.

The bolded is your problem. The ideal way to play this game, and it has been this way at least since I started over a year ago, is to pick a number, and then basically level everyone on your roster to that number (effectively known as soft-capping if you pick a number low enough). Anyone more than 100 levels below that number is basically somewhere between ineffective and useless. So leveling a few characters higher than everyone else (basically, anything less than about 6 or so) is going to do nothing but hurt you.

The bolded is your problem. The ideal way to play this game, and it has been this way at least since I started over a year ago, is to pick a number, and then basically level everyone on your roster to that number (effectively known as soft-capping if you pick a number low enough). Anyone more than 100 levels below that number is basically somewhere between ineffective and useless. So leveling a few characters higher than everyone else (basically, anything less than about 6 or so) is going to do nothing but hurt you.

You're probably right about the leveling; I've been trying to accomplish something like this by not pulling tokens or investing in characters until I can afford to use them. It's worth mentioning that I rarely consider a character worthwhile until they're fully covered. I know, it's a problem.

I will say that the simple introduction of a new tier like the 5* covers completely screws up the system though as they are so far beyond the other characters level-wise.

I probably just need to accept that after 40 months of playing this thing I should level up characters before they're fully covered.

You're probably right about the leveling; I've been trying to accomplish something like this by not pulling tokens or investing in characters until I can afford to use them. It's worth mentioning that I rarely consider a character worthwhile until they're fully covered. I know, it's a problem.

I will say that the simple introduction of a new tier like the 5* covers completely screws up the system though as they are so far beyond the other characters level-wise.

I probably just need to accept that after 40 months of playing this thing I should level up characters before they're fully covered.

If you plan on using your characters, then yes, you should. I personally think the way that zulux and I are doing it is the easiest (keep your 4* at around the level of your highest 3* characters, and they should all boost to the same level, and that level will be higher than an unleveled 5*, so those won't screw with your scaling at all). If you've already champed a few 4*, then doing this means that the only you just have to worry about when those few champed 4* are boosted (and it puts the other ones in better position as support characters).

Blank!

I don't think that having four champed characters puts you into that tier's territory to be honest. .

I think you may have misunderstood, I'm not saying it's right that you having 4 4* characters is putting you up against the teams you are... but that's the way it is. To "the system", you're in 4* land and thus, you're matched accordingly. It has no idea if the 4*'s you championed are top tier or not, just that you have 4 of them and thus you're moved out of the 3* bracket.

As an aside, as someone who's in 3* land (no 4* champed), I'm glad you're gone. Anyone with a championed hulkbuster should NOT be anywhere on my radar. It'd be nice if they could match you a little better, but it sounds like you're paying for having 4 4*'s champed (albeit, not very good PvP ones I guess?).

I think you'd be fine in PvP if you had the "right" PvP heroes but it doesn't sound like you do, so things are rough. Keeping a level roster is PvE advice. PvP players tend to be much better off with the "good" PvP heroes champed/leveled (Iceman/Peggy/etc.) and don't need the stable of heroes that most people recommend for PvE for scaling purposes.

I think you may have misunderstood, I'm not saying it's right that you having 4 4* characters is putting you up against the teams you are... but that's the way it is. To "the system", you're in 4* land and thus, you're matched accordingly. It has no idea if the 4*'s you championed are top tier or not, just that you have 4 of them and thus you're moved out of the 3* bracket.

I hear you - that's the way the system works. I'm also not a hardcore player which I guess could be impacting my progress. I've almost never cleared out a PVE board multiple times for maximum effect.

So what are the other 3 besides your hulkbuster?

Hulkbuster, Fury, X Farce & IW. I hate tossing 4* covers away, hence the relatively lame characters being championed. This is why I'm sitting on so many legendary tokens, CP & ISO....I'd hate to get forced into champing Elektra or Mr Fantastic.

I do recognize that if I want to continue to progress I'll need to start pulling & investing.

Dalek

Level 260 X-23,
7 days 22hrs left on my cover,
1538/2725 XP on my Shield Level to get 35,000 ISO.

So I will need a total of 52,486 ISO in 7 days. Minus the SHIELD reward and that's 17,486 ISO that I need to earn between now and then.

giphy.gif

Level 260 X-23,

So I will need a total of 52,486 ISO in 7 days. Minus the SHIELD reward and that's 17,486 ISO that I need to earn between now and then.

You can probably do it in half that time. I believe in you!

Spoit

Level 260 X-23,

Just sell a 2* champ, that should get you there.

Dalek

Just sell a 2* champ, that should get you there.

I've sold too many. I only have Ares, Magneto, Hawkeye, Storm, OBW and Wolverine now that are championed. I usually keep these around for the DDQ and required nodes.

EDIT: I'll wait a few more days and if I'm in a pinch I'll consider selling Wolverine.

Hulkbuster, Fury, X Farce & IW. I hate tossing 4* covers away, hence the relatively lame characters being championed. This is why I'm sitting on so many legendary tokens, CP & ISO....I'd hate to get forced into champing Elektra or Mr Fantastic.

I do recognize that if I want to continue to progress I'll need to start pulling & investing.
XFW actually isn't so bad. I've used him a lot since I champed him and he can be pretty effective. He or Fury can easily be used in PvP when boosted. They aren't the best, but you can win with them.

If you have HP to roster any new characters, you should start opening those tokens. Adding another 4 star champ would make a big difference.

Spoit

XFW actually isn't so bad. I've used him a lot since I champed him and he can be pretty effective. He or Fury can easily be used in PvP when boosted. They aren't the best, but you can win with them.

If you have HP to roster any new characters, you should start opening those tokens. Adding another 4 star champ would make a big difference.

Even when he's boosted, I almost never reach for him compared to the actually good, unboosted 4*s. Pretty much the only context I use him at this point is with xpool.

zulux21

hmmmm moon knight vs x23.

if you have a well covered moon knight should be a breeze, if you don't it should be impossible :p.

I was kind of hoping they would give him an inviso enemy just because his green would still hit them :p

I think I'm going to crack this week and pull some covers. So far I'm only missing four 4* covers that I'm aware of (Blade, Medusa, Gwen-Pool & Agent Venom) and three 5* ones (Strange, Hulk & Thanos).

Question: Given I really do need 4* covers more than 5* ones at this point am I better to use Legendary Tokens or spend CP on the 20 point pulls? I think I'm at....20 LTs and 455 CP.

Dalek

What a mess I'm in.

1. I pulled a yellow Miles Morales cover from a Heroic token last night. He's at 256 and fully covered so he's my next target in leveling up and I need to do it pronto.
2. I bit the bullet and just sold 2* Wolverine to get a lot of ISO.
3. Used that ISO and max-leveled/Championed X-23. Got a Spider-Gwen cover which fully covers her! She's 4/4/5 Level 164 now.
4. Won Moon Knight's Crash this morning, which gave me a Luke Cage-putting him at 4/3/4, Level 70.

I need lots and lots of ISO. If the game would just give me 5 stars instead I wouldn't have this problem.

zulux21

What a mess I'm in.

1. I pulled a yellow Miles Morales cover from a Heroic token last night. He's at 256 and fully covered so he's my next target in leveling up and I need to do it pronto.
3. Used that ISO and max-leveled/Championed X-23. Got a Spider-Gwen cover which fully covers her! She's 4/4/5 Level 164 now.
4. Won Moon Knight's Crash this morning, which gave me a Luke Cage-putting him at 4/3/4, Level 70.

I need lots and lots of ISO. If the game would just give me 5 stars instead I wouldn't have this problem.

i have like 5 full covered 4 stars and like 8 more that are missing 1 or 2 covers.

and they are gonna stay that way for a while :p

my plan remains to just level up 4 stars as needed for the clash.

What a mess I'm in.

You can wait a while for Luke, as I think it's a while before you need him for a Crash. You should be able to earn enough ISO in the next 2 weeks to finish Miles. I would hold off on opening tokens for a bit (at least Heroics and Legendaries) just to make sure you end up needing to champ someone else.

Also, they released the press release for Ironheart:

https://news.marvel.com/games/58123/piecing-together-marvel-puzzle-quest-riri-williams/

Dalek

You can wait a while for Luke, as I think it's a while before you need him for a Crash. You should be able to earn enough ISO in the next 2 weeks to finish Miles. I would hold off on opening tokens for a bit (at least Heroics and Legendaries) just to make sure you end up needing to champ someone else.

https://news.marvel.com/games/58123/piecing-together-marvel-puzzle-quest-riri-williams/

This is exactly what I need to do-but I'm weak.

zulux21

it will be interesting to see the full abilities.

9blue to suck all enemy specils to the center doesn't sound very exciting but later covers have to do something.

looks like it will be 11 red for around 10k damage

her green ability is impossible to gauge off of

"Riri’s final ability, Selfless Intervention, costs 8 Green AP. Riri makes a split second decision to fly into the action causing damage and her armor to react to the impact sending [her] Airborne for two turns and her target Airborne for one turn."

will be good or bad based solely off the damage it does.

also it seems like she has really low life for a 4 star. not prof x low, but not that much higher.

it will be interesting to see the full abilities.

9blue to suck all enemy specils to the center doesn't sound very exciting but later covers have to do something.

looks like it will be 11 red for around 10k damage

her green ability is impossible to gauge off of

"Riri’s final ability, Selfless Intervention, costs 8 Green AP. Riri makes a split second decision to fly into the action causing damage and her armor to react to the impact sending [her] Airborne for two turns and her target Airborne for one turn."

will be good or bad based solely off the damage it does.

also it seems like she has really low life for a 4 star. not prof x low, but not that much higher.

Sucking the tiles together works well with characters who can do center (or targeted) tile destruction like R&G or Chulk, but outside of that I guess it's just a hope that they're all the same color so they match themselves away.

Dalek

What do you guys think for maxxed x-23? 5/5/3? That purple hits hard but it's a lot of AP and it gets put down as a tile to be matched.

zulux21

What do you guys think for maxxed x-23? 5/5/3? That purple hits hard but it's a lot of AP and it gets put down as a tile to be matched.

I run mine 5/3/5

when I eventually champ her I will likely up the healing from time to time but in general I would rather run her with 5 purple as it's rather deadly at that amount.

i mean even at my current level for her

thats quite a bit of damage for an ability that is really easy to get down to 6ap as you just run her with daken and match some green.

meanwhile at 3 covers the purple isn't very exciting at all.

i mean clearly if you have someone with a really solid purple you can go the other way. but her healing at 3 is typically enough to keep her healthy if you are able to make the color matches she needs.

Dalek

I run mine 5/3/5

when I eventually champ her I will likely up the healing from time to time but in general I would rather run her with 5 purple as it's rather deadly at that amount.

i mean even at my current level for her

thats quite a bit of damage for an ability that is really easy to get down to 6ap as you just run her with daken and match some green.

meanwhile at 3 covers the purple isn't very exciting at all.

i mean clearly if you have someone with a really solid purple you can go the other way. but her healing at 3 is typically enough to keep her healthy if you are able to make the color matches she needs.

Oh right-I forgot the cost goes down with Strike tiles. Good point.

Top Bottom