• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Dalek

We're close to the third Red Hulk cover. I'm wondering if I should just start on Team Cap to start chipping away at the Spider-Woman rewards...

I am about to board a plane-between that and my kids' activities tomorrow I will likely not be able to contribute until Saturday afternoon. I've managed 671k so far so hopefully we can transition teams quickly.

Spoit

We're close to the third Red Hulk cover. I'm wondering if I should just start on Team Cap to start chipping away at the Spider-Woman rewards...

Yeah, like I said in the in-game chat. Unless you're already close enough that you're likely to actually hit the final progression (lets call it like, 600k after clearing this refresh?), you should go and switch over, because we're going to have a lot of overkill otherwise

Xion385

Hey GAF, I've recently started playing this game a lot. I'm really enjoying, but I also wanted to maximize the daily grind. I was wondering if you guys have any tips that I should do daily?

Also. Does this game ever reach to the point where it becomes play to win or can I just play regularly and have good characters over time, albeit slower than paying players? Thanks.

PS: Is there an alliance I can join? I'm only level 4.

Dalek

Hey GAF, I've recently started playing this game a lot. I'm really enjoying, but I also wanted to maximize the daily grind. I was wondering if you guys have any tips that I should do daily?

Also. Does this game ever reach to the point where it becomes play to win or can I just play regularly and have good characters over time, albeit slower than paying players? Thanks.

PS: Is there an alliance I can join? I'm only level 4.

You can totally just play free to play. The actual things you can purchase with real money are so absurdly overpriced it's not It worth It. The only time I'd suggest buying Hero Points is in the beginning as you are starting to acquire characters. After that you're fine. It's a slow grind but just make tiny goals for yourself to focus on and you won't notice it.

I think GAFvengers is full now because of the current event but if we have an opening we'll call it out on here.

Have fun-the best advice I can give is to fully clear all the story nodes, try to play Deadpool Daily Quest everyday and post in here if you have questions.

Yeah, like I said in the in-game chat. Unless you're already close enough that you're likely to actually hit the final progression (lets call it like, 600k after clearing this refresh?), you should go and switch over, because we're going to have a lot of overkill otherwise

You weren't kidding about the boosted characters on Team Cap. What a joke.

Welcome! Like Dalek said you can get a ton of mileage out of the game without ever paying.

You weren't kidding about the boosted characters on Team Cap. What a joke.

Yeah, I literally struggled to bring down IM. Any team recos?

Dalek

I hit 900 in the PVP to get that yellow Nova cover I need. Now I need to finish off the simulator before the season ends.

Xion385

Thanks for the encouragement, GAF. Is there any tips you guys can give someone just starting out? I've been looking at Tier-List and my current team is Ares, Human Torch, and Model 35. I'm moving along in the story pretty alright. Daken was a little pain.

zulux21

man... I forgot how much harder cap hits compared to the original run.

i am struggling to kill him in this current round with my current team.... I suppose I might actually have to use a different team :p

(i'm using iron fist + OML + 4 star cyclops)

Spoit

Use carol to feed an actually good red/black character (pref hulkbuster, but I dunno if yours is useful?). At this point, the match damage on his 3 colors is probably enough to trigger her.

Or just switch to the team cap side, and give up on the BP token

zulux21

Use carol to feed an actually good red/black character (pref hulkbuster, but I dunno if yours is useful?). At this point, the match damage on his 3 colors is probably enough to trigger her.

Or just switch to the team cap side, and give up on the BP token

my hulkbuster has max red covers so it likely is decent. it is lacking some black covers but it has enough maybe I will go that way.... hmmm what third character *starts looking*

yeah that works fine :p but yeah I could just change full focus to the other side... I am a decent ways away from progression on the one side and would rather make sure to get all of the covers from both sides.

Dalek

my hulkbuster has max red covers so it likely is decent. it is lacking some black covers but it has enough maybe I will go that way.... hmmm what third character *starts looking*

Iron Fist works well with him too to generate Black, which HB uses to make more red.

Thanks for the encouragement, GAF. Is there any tips you guys can give someone just starting out? I've been looking at Tier-List and my current team is Ares, Human Torch, and Model 35. I'm moving along in the story pretty alright. Daken was a little pain.
Don't spend your hero points on anything but roster slots. Focus on your 2 star heroes. You don't need to level more than a couple of 1 stars because they won't be used for long.

zulux21

Iron Fist works well with him too to generate Black, which HB uses to make more red.

I put chao hulk in there just because he had a lot of HP and my hulk buster only has two black covers so it isn't amazing just decent.

i mean I have like 600k points there, but it's all good I will focus on cap. I would rather help make sure we get the third spiderwoman cover that I know I can use then pull another dupe off a hard ground token.

Spoit

I put chao hulk in there just because he had a lot of HP and my hulk buster only has two black covers so it isn't amazing just decent.

i mean I have like 600k points there, but it's all good I will focus on cap. I would rather help make sure we get the third spiderwoman cover that I know I can use then pull another dupe off a hard ground token.

(my ulterior motive is that even the round 8 cap is easier than whatever IM we're on, since HB eats him for lunch)

Xion385

So I just bought some hero points. Which packs should I open from the store to get the most out of it? The Civil War stuff or Heroic?

Dalek

So I just bought some hero points. Which packs should I open from the store to get the most out of it? The Civil War stuff or Heroic?

Neither! Use your hero points for roster slots not covers. In no time at all you're going to have more covers than you know what to do with and not enough slots.

Xion385

Neither! Use your hero points for roster slots not covers. In no time at all you're going to have more covers than you know what to do with and not enough slots.
Okay. I bought $20 worth just to get me a head start. I was just sitting in 5k points thinking it might be worth spending on.

I joined a random alliance and got Immortal Ironfist and Deadpool so far. Both level 40.

Dalek

Okay. I bought $20 worth just to get me a head start. I was just sitting in 5k points thinking it might be worth spending on.

I joined a random alliance and got Immortal Ironfist and Deadpool so far. Both level 40.

Good job. Believe me when I say this. This forum and the subreddit are filled with posts of people saying "who do I sell?" Because they get way too many characters at the start that they don't have enough slots for. Then they get 4* and 5* covers that they have to throw out because they didn't have room.

Good job. Believe me when I say this. This forum and the subreddit are filled with posts of people saying "who do I sell?" Because they get way too many characters at the start that they don't have enough slots for. Then they get 4* and 5* covers that they have to throw out because they didn't have room.

Which reminds me of something else we need to say.

DO NOT BUY/CASH IN ANY LEGENDARY TOKENS YET.

Getting a 5* at the level you're at right now would totally wreck your scaling, and you'd be forced to sell it. Don't start using your CP, or using any legendary token you may be lucky enough to get, until your roster can reasonably handle it (ideally, this is sometime around when you start champing 3* characters at the absolute earliest).

Khaz

Hey guys, I just maxed my first 2stars (storm). I was wondering if it was interesting to sell it and start again, to get the champion rewards again? Or will I lose millions in the process? I have a few other 2stars around 140 so she wouldn't be missed that much. It did take me more than a year of casual play to get to that point though, hopefully it wouldn't take as long to max her up again.

Hey guys, I just maxed my first 2stars (storm). I was wondering if it was interesting to sell it and start again, to get the champion rewards again? Or will I lose millions in the process? I have a few other 2stars around 140 so she wouldn't be missed that much. It did take me more than a year of casual play to get to that point though, hopefully it wouldn't take as long to max her up again.

If you have enough characters that she doesn't leave a hole in your roster (and it sounds like you do), then yeah, go ahead and do it. The rewards are generally more than worth it, and once you start getting into the 3 star level you can usually get enough tokens that 2 stars get champed much faster (for example, on higher Clearance Levels you get Elite tokens or better for Alliance placement no matter where your alliance finishes).

Khaz

Yeah I did. Even though I liked her powers, her level meant she was always in front, and with her very low health she died very quickly even in easy battles, leaving the other two at a disadvantage.

zulux21

hmmm... I am trying to figure out what the likelyhood that we can get the remaining two covers are.

we have 3 refreshes left, but we just started round 6 of cap.

I am doubting we will be able to get the round 6 cover with this next clear, so I suppose it's out of our range to get the round 7 cover as well.

I suppose when I get up tomorrow before I go to work I will know if i need to grind hard tomorrow night.

I don't think I will need to though... so yeah.

i think the only way we could do it is if every member of the alliance did a full clear on team cap.

hmmm... I am trying to figure out what the likelyhood that we can get the remaining two covers are.

we have 3 refreshes left, but we just started round 6 of cap.

I am doubting we will be able to get the round 6 cover with this next clear, so I suppose it's out of our range to get the round 7 cover as well.

I suppose when I get up tomorrow before I go to work I will know if i need to grind hard tomorrow night.

I don't think I will need to though... so yeah.

i think the only way we could do it is if every member of the alliance did a full clear on team cap.

We will get the second cover (I think we only need about 15-18 more full clears for it), but the third is highly unlikely unless we get like 3/4 of the alliance to do 3 more full clears, if not all of them.

Xion385

After wiping 4 times (and still haven't beat)with a Level 70 Red Hulk, Level 40 Iron Fist, and a Level 40 Deadpool that I can't just stack up my highest level characters expecting to take out the mission with level 40 Yelena Belova and two level 27 Muscle. O_O

I have no sense of team composition. :(

After wiping 4 times (and still haven't beat)with a Level 70 Red Hulk, Level 40 Iron Fist, and a Level 40 Deadpool that I can't just stack up my highest level characters expecting to take out the mission with level 40 Yelena Belova and two level 27 Muscle. O_O

I have no sense of team composition. :(

You need either someone who can prevent the Muscle threaten tiles from going off (try 2* Black Widow if you have a decent amount of Blue covers) or someone who can flip those strike tiles to work for you (I think Moonstone can do that at 5 Black covers). You'll get there soon.

Edit: So, I'm looking at this really fun situation where I have Squirrel Girl at 182 right now, and Ant-Man's DDQ is tomorrow, and I've still got a ways to go before I hit her second progression on Team Cap. I think I can make it, but I might require me to wait a bit on a couple Team Cap boss fights so I can fight him at Round 7 HP instead of Round 6.

I wish I was more helpful for this event. I just couldn't get much milage out of my buffed team members, and the others got stomped pretty quickly. At least my Hulkbuster was putting in a little work on Team Iron Man, but Team Cap is rough.

I'm completely out of team ups so apologies for the spamming.

Don't apologize, it's free exp for everyone!

What are the best team ups to send btw? My thinking is you're in a pretty bad spot if you're relying on Team Ups so I try to focus on shake ups or generators if I can. My usual loaners have been:

X-Force: Figure his green and black can really clear out a shitty board. I don't think he gets a yellow.

Loki: Purple is cheap and effect if you're stuck with shitty matches. It can also help force a larger cascade. His black is an amazing standby IMO. Especially in situations like Boss Cap, when you can't reach his shield tiles.

Mags: His red clears out Teamups, blue hits hard, and Yellow shields. Figure it's a safe send since all his colors are usefull.

Hulkbuster: Red hits hard if you're lacking punch and Blue can generate reds and provide a good shield. Don't think he gets black.

2* Widow: Blue and purple are always amazing assets.

I'm always worried about sending shitty characters though, lol. Any reason why these characters might suck? Or anyone better to send?

What are the best team ups to send btw? My thinking is you're in a pretty bad spot if you're relying on Team Ups so I try to focus on shake ups or generators if I can. My usual loaners have been:

X-Force: Figure his green and black can really clear out a shitty board. I don't think he gets a yellow.

Loki: Purple is cheap and effect if you're stuck with shitty matches. It can also help force a larger cascade. His black is an amazing standby IMO. Especially in situations like Boss Cap, when you can't reach his shield tiles.

Mags: His red clears out Teamups, blue hits hard, and Yellow shields. Figure it's a safe send since all his colors are usefull.

Hulkbuster: Red hits hard if you're lacking punch and Blue can generate reds and provide a good shield. Don't think he gets black.

2* Widow: Blue and purple are always amazing assets.

I'm always worried about sending shitty characters though, lol. Any reason why these characters might suck? Or anyone better to send?

Problem with HB's red is that it consumes all the red you have, so it's most helpful is the team you've constructed doesn't use red, in which case you aren't actively collecting enough red to hit as hard as you'd like. Or at least that's why it was explained to me that it isn't a particularly great team-up.

Spoit

Problem with HB's red is that it consumes all the red you have, so it's most helpful is the team you've constructed doesn't use red, in which case you aren't actively collecting enough red to hit as hard as you'd like. Or at least that's why it was explained to me that it isn't a particularly great team-up.

Well that and 630 damage/AP really isn't THAT great. Most of HB's power is built around the fact that he can accelerate the hell out of the red.

The best teamups:
Teen Jean- her purple is amazing damage and utility, aoe with CD (and other) tile cleanup for only 10 AP, and her green isn't terrible either.

OBW's purple, with only 3 covers in it- dirt cheap AP steal

MBW's blue- probably the best stun in the game

3* deadpool- red is a moderate damage poke for really cheap, and I always try to keep a purple or two tucked away in case I ever have a hard node that needs to be whaled

Good teamups:
3* mags- the reg is amazing board shake, the other powers are....okayish

Juggs- super cheap board shake

loki- ditto

4* cykes- the blue is reasonable (targeted) board shake, and can generate a good amount of red, board permitting. And I'm not sure if you can actually get his red from a TU, but that would actually be a lot of damage since it has the special trigger at 10 TU ap....and costs 10 ap.

rulk- purple drains all the enemy green and has a 1:1 ap conversion. The green isn't that great without someone charging it up.

Ok

5* IM blue- really good board shake, but expensive. And the other powers really aren't that useful at the covers and levels we have him at.

Goblin- purple is supposedly useful, but I always found the CDs and targeting unreliable. But you could do worse

2* mags- purple is enough to get one crit, and 5+ blue, The red is really expensive, but generates a good amount of AP. The blue is trash.

GSBW- purple generates a ton of targeted green. The other powers are terrible though.

Doom- blue generates a ton of black, and you can somewhat judge when it will make a good cascade. The other moves are not so great

marginal and situationally useful:
Peggy- does okay damage, but it'd be much more useful to have a power that has some utility as well.

3* cap- the utility of the power itself is suspect, but it does allow you to generate extra red or blue on a timer

3* cykes- yellow converts a decent amount of TUs to red, other powers are....not as useful in isolation.

falcap- I'm not actually sure if you can send his yellow, but if you can, that's probably one of the best (relatively cheap) defense tile powers. Enough that it actually takes the edge off of power damage.

KK- her purple is....somewhat aimable green generation, but honestly, GSBW's is better, send her instead.

Mystique- See KK, except wrt to doom instead of GSBW

IF- his purple is normally good.....but not really that useful if you can only cast it once.

HT- like DP red, but costs 2 more to generate 2 red. Just send DP instead.

xfarce- okay board shake, but kind of expensive for what they do. And what they do isn't very predictable, leading to destroying a lot of tiles you actually want. And the damage is subpar too.

Fury- demolition is good, the others are bad. Too much of a risk to send it.

Jury's out, but I might be interested in trying:
IW might not be terrible after her changes? Not sure which ones she can actually send.

Ant-man- not sure which of his powers you can send. Some of them have good utility though.

If you happen to have 4* Cap marvel, her black looks pretty good, even standalone. But only once it's actually covered. And I guess her yellow might have some situational uses?

Nova/punisher MAX/kate- supposedly good 4*s, but I don't have enough covers to really judge. Not sure which ones they can send anyway

Dear god, please stop sending these. Especially at 1 cover:
Black bolt yellow.

5* dr strange- if you absolutely must send him, send the 3* version instead. But even then, JG does the tile cleanup job much better, and there are a multitude of better stunners.

Well that and 630 damage/AP really isn't THAT great. Most of HB's power is built around the fact that he can accelerate the hell out of the red.

The best teamups:

OBW's purple, with only 3 covers in it- dirt cheap AP steal

Her blue is also really good in a pinch against goon nodes. Purple's actually the only team-up that was hurt by the "every champ sends out their powers at 5 covers" thing they did.

Just jumped up to like 600-something points in the non-season PvP. Got boosted, championed Star-Lord, Iceboy and either Teen Jean or (non-championed) Drax as my team. Yeesh.

Dalek

Will a 3/1/5 Ant Man have any chance? I haven't juiced him up at all but can take him to 192.

My Ant-Man is championed and I had a tough time. Try to deny Purple, Green and Match 5s is my best advice...I saved tons of purple to pop it twice in a row to do a big punch.

Top Bottom