• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Triz

Im pretty Sure the Heroic Venom is bugged. He is stunning every turn and it should take 7 purplle to use the skill. I was counting his matches and he was using it before even having 7 purple. Let alone using it every turn.

This venom event is so boring, and I hate using these characters other than wolverine and my black panther is only a 15 level. I guess it's for the newbies to the game. But I've had no real urge to play a ton on this event.

cobell

Some of the non-hero goons generate colors on their own (so are huge jerks when paired with a hero/villain). So that's why Venom could chain stun.

zulux21

Some of the non-hero goons generate colors on their own (so are huge jerks when paired with a hero/villain). So that's why Venom could chain stun.

I wish we could get some of the goons for our own rosters.... some of them are better than like 90% of the heroes we have access to lol

I wish we could get some of the goons for our own rosters.... some of them are better than like 90% of the heroes we have access to lol

That's what I could see them doing soon, but imagine if you got stuck with them when all your heroes die.... no moves...just countdowns.

zulux21

So I guess gaf-vengers is looking for 2 new players now... and by new I mean people who play a lot and often get top 100 or better :p

anyone interested just say so and you can be voted on or something :p

animus82

Banned
Damn Black Hulk is a alliance award... We can do it guys!

I'm with ya there!

Got top ten for both heroic mode. Need more blue though cause I don't like yellow.

I would really like to get that black hulk. I know nobody plays until the last day but forget Heroic Venom and make sure we do well in The CAP pvp because heroic Venom only gives 3 star Cap.

And Sploit left who put in more work then our bottom 1/4... great.

Sorry, Vengies. I've been snowballed by other responsibilities, combined with the pain in the dick that this Venom Heroic is, so I've been pulling less than my weight lately. But I'll be better soon!

zulux21

Quoting myself here....I just applied to join gaf-vengers in the game (same username). Feel free to boot me if I did it wrong or didn't follow the rules.

i let you in, I don't figure it will be an issue as we are just replacing people. you just happened to be first to apply when we lost two people... we still need another to fill the last hole.

i let you in, I don't figure it will be an issue as we are just replacing people. you just happened to be first to apply when we lost two people... we still need another to fill the last hole.

Oh sweet, thanks. I'm pushing hard on the Cap tourney, and working as hard as I can on the two-event Heroic one. Without a Human Torch the latter is tough to be competitive.

NomarTyme

lol the cap event is ridiculous no way I can get top 10. People are close to 1000 already.

What is up with MPQ Scuffy? dude has been playing for a while.

lol the cap event is ridiculous no way I can get top 10. People are close to 1000 already.

Yea I'm not sure what I'm missing but from what I saw the top peolpe were at ~750 as of 3am in my bracket, I can only imagine what they are at now. This Venom event is killing me. There's no reason to do any of the fights other than the 3 HT-required ones because they are significantly harder matchups and reward substantially less points. Spent 3 health packs clearing out 2 fights and only got like 800 pts, then did each of the required ones using only a single health pack and got over 3000. Just doesn't make sense...

NineH

I'm still playing, it's just that I'm waiting until later to join events and right now am tanking lightning rounds as my opponents are pretty high ranked.

shaowebb

I just grinded from rank 300+ to rank 2 in Cap pvp. I'd take 1 but I need another heal. Honestly though unless the alliance pulls in hard it does me no good personally. We need 78 more rank in 14 hrs to net a black hulk cover. If the alliance doesn't pull that I just get my green hulk cover and I can't use it as my green is maxed...I need red and black. I wont maintain rank after this though. I work from 5 am tomorrow till 3:30 then have class till about 8:30 tomorrow night.

It falls on you Gaf-vengers. Did what I could. My Ares is looking good though. Level 80 and climbing to max and his red now hits harder than Classic Storm's blue. I pair him with Daken and watch the suffering. Also my level 69 Daken managed to take out a lvl 85 full health Thor and a captain America after being the soul survivor of a Call the Storm that offed the rest of my team. Fuck lazy Daken only talk... this guy is worth having in ANY form.

NomarTyme

I lucked out in my bracket. 300ish points and I'm in...40th place?
I mean the top 10 because most of them are pretty close to 700-1000
Yea I'm not sure what I'm missing but from what I saw the top peolpe were at ~750 as of 3am in my bracket, I can only imagine what they are at now. This Venom event is killing me. There's no reason to do any of the fights other than the 3 HT-required ones because they are significantly harder matchups and reward substantially less points. Spent 3 health packs clearing out 2 fights and only got like 800 pts, then did each of the required ones using only a single health pack and got over 3000. Just doesn't make sense...
I guess people want black hulk and Blue cover for IW
I'm still playing, it's just that I'm waiting until later to join events and right now am tanking lightning rounds as my opponents are pretty high ranked.

Sorry didn't mean to call you out. Just seeing if you're still out there.

LuuKyK

Just started playing this.

Am I just bad at this or I am doing something wrong? (Am I supposed to grind in this? I see no point because the character upgrades are so rarely chosen as a reward, and usually I just get 20 ISOs or whatever those purple crystals are called... like 20!? Couldn't they give me some more? Wtf. This mobile game model is awful).

I keep getting destroyed by Juggernaut no matter what. He is left with 300 HP or something. Sooo annoying. I think the game is interesting and fun until you reach these absurd difficulty spikes. I am seriously finding it so hard so far... and the obvious money grabs are stupid as hell.

shaowebb

Just started playing this.

Am I just bad at this or I am doing something wrong? (Am I supposed to grind in this? I see no point because the character upgrades are so rarely chose as a reward, and usually I just get 20 ISOs or whatever those purple crystals are called... like 20!? Couldn't they give me some more? Wtf. This mobile game model is awful).

I keep getting destroyed by Juggernaut no matter what. He is left with 300 HP or something. Sooo annoying. I think the game is interesting and fun until you reach this absurd difficulty spikes. I am seriously finding it so hard so far... and the obvious money grabs are stupid as hell.

Post your team and where you are in rank or prologue stuff. I play strategist a lot and can give you some help if you'd like some.

Decent tips for low level just starting out.

1. Do NOT invest in Hawkeye. He's frail, and his abilities suck. Literally one of the worst in the game.
  2. Invest heavily in Black Widow. Her blue ability can stun folks for 5 turns at a time effectively "stun locking" them for so long that by the time they wakeup you've fished enough blue to deny them getting any moves.
  3. Storm/Thor is major thing to aim for at any level. Thor is in the prologue covers and his ability to create green and Storm's ability to use green to clean massive amounts of tiles and give you fuel for each means that the two can start a chain of events that is self sustaining and never ends. One of the best teams in the game and stays competitive even at high rank.
  4. Storm in general should be grabbed. Her ability to clear tiles in general deals a major blow to all the countdown tile hammer agents in the prologue.
  5. Juggernaut hits like a truck. If you can get him abuse him early on in prologue stuff. His green and red are only 6 in cost and not only can he clear countdown tiles on his own but he can also deal out over a grand in damage at a time. Yeah he hurts himself some...he cripples teams andits worth it in the prologue where health abounds.
  6. Dont bother with Bagman spidey. Even at high level play with a lot of support he is generally just a big frail failure.
  7. Venom is a decent all arounder for damage, and stuns. Nothing amazing but decently healthy and useful on teams if you just end up with him since his covers are everywhere.
  8. Bullseye is shit. I've tried, but its not happening. Even max level he's to shit to bother with. Dies to enemy abilities. ALWAYS TARGET HIM FIRST THOUGH. His shields will reduce ALL damage outside of abilities to ZERO. Kill him or be screwed.
  9. Target the lietenants first in hammer fights. They heal folks and get tiles placed FAST. Off them and the rest is manageable. Leave them and they build so much AP on you from living so long you will never manage to clear their tiles in time.
  10. Snipers like to oneshot and pyros can wipe your whole team. Leave whatever color of tile they put on the board the hell alone until they push out a countdown timer. Otherwise you just got rid of the only tools that may have gotten rid of their shit.
  11. Beware the Maggia muscle. Their strike tiles up damage by the HUNDREDS per tile. Its insane. Kill dem with juggs quick if you can.
  12. Yelena belova is literally the worst character in the game. No one has EVER found a use for her. Toss her for iso.
  13. 5 tiles of the same color in the shape of an L counts as 5 of a kind just like a straight line does...however the computer doesn't recognize this shape and the opponent will never go for them, but you can. Just remember though that the computer will ALWAYS go for a 4 of a kind which may ruin this opportunity. Use that 4 of a kind knowledge wisely and try to be careful about that.
  14. Early on your best utlity characters are Storm and Black Widow as Storm acts as the best battery in the game to fuel your team and controls space well against tiles and Widow can steal their fuel and stun folks so much that she breaks any team she faces off with's strategies once she gets going.
  15. Ironman is a good all around. His blue is too hard to get though and blue is better saved for Widow. Try to max his red and yellow if possible. Repulsor blast and using his shields to lessen damage taken is really handy early on.

LuuKyK

Post your team and where you are in rank or prologue stuff. I play strategist a lot and can give you some help if you'd like some.

I kinda have no idea what I am doing (besides the obvious gameplay mechanics, I mean), so yeah, any input/help would be extremely welcome. :p

Uhm, my team is Iron Man (18), Wolverine (7), Hawkeye (6), Black Widow (6), Storm (3).

I am guessing I am under leveled?

One thing I noticed is I use Storm way more than Hawk and Wolv because she has three powers unlocked and is way more useful that the other two, even if her HP is ridiculously low (like 300). I hate how the game restricts the way you can level up your characters. Hate it.

shaowebb

I kinda have no idea what I am doing (besides the obvious gameplay mechanics, I mean), so yeah, any input/help would be extremely welcome. :p

Uhm, my team is Iron Man (18), Wolverine (7), Hawkeye (6), Black Widow (6), Storm (3).

I am guessing I am under leveled?

One thing I noticed is I use Storm way more than Hawk and Wolv because she has three powers unlocked and is way more useful that the other two, even if her HP is ridiculously low (like 300). I hate how the game restricts the way you can level up your characters. Hate it.

Cool. See my tip list above to help vs the computer and to know who to invest in.

How many covers do you have for each character's abilities?

You can only have 13 covers on a character with 3 abilities so folks "build" certain ways. For example, every green cover you get for storm makes her green ability more powerful. At max it clears over a dozen tiles from the board and gives you fuel for each. Folks generally try to level this to 5 covers and then either go 4/4 on her other two abilities or 3/5 or 5/3 depending on what they want to build up. Most go 5 green/ 5 red/ 3 black for Storm as it lets her clear all the environmental tiles and a bunch of other tiles super fast setting up cascades to randomly occur.

Its not just your levels...its your build that can change how well a character works. Early on you wont have a lot, but the covers roll in from general recruit tokens and prologue play and they add up.

LuuKyK

Cool. See my tip list above to help vs the computer and to know who to invest in.

How many covers do you have for each character's abilities?

You can only have 13 covers on a character with 3 abilities so folks "build" certain ways. For example, every green cover you get for storm makes her green ability more powerful. At max it clears over a dozen tiles from the board and gives you fuel for each. Folks generally try to level this to 5 covers and then either go 4/4 on her other two abilities or 3/5 or 5/3 depending on what they want to build up. Most go 5 green/ 5 red/ 3 black for Storm as it lets her clear all the environmental tiles and a bunch of other tiles super fast setting up cascades to randomly occur.

Its not just your levels...its your build that can change how well a character works. Early on you wont have a lot, but the covers roll in from general recruit tokens and prologue play and they add up.

I have one each for storm.

But the thing is, how do I grind for these covers? I find it even hard to grind, period, because even some of these easy battles leave my team with half HP sometimes, so I have to wait for them to heal (I don't really use those healing items because I like to save them for the big bosses) and thats really tiring. I honestly don't have much time to play these days, so these gameplay delay mechanics really irritate me. >_>

Thanks for the help anyway. I will try reading some other posts in here looking for tips and such. :)

But the thing is, how do I grind for these covers? I find it even hard to grind, period, because even some of these easy battles leave my team with half HP sometimes, so I have to wait for them to heal (I don't really use those healing items because I like to save them for the big bosses) and thats really tiring. I honestly don't have much time to play these days, so these gameplay delay mechanics really irritate me. >_>

Thanks for the help anyway. I will try reading some other posts in here looking for tips and such. :)

You're going to have to have patience starting out. As with most freemium games the more you play the more you'll get to play in the future. Until you get to a point where you have several maxed out heroes it's going to be a bit tiring. Your best bet is to focus on leveling a core group of characters, from the heroes you have Iron Man, Wolverine, Black Widow, and Storm all have decent staying power. Storm and BW are a bit flimsy, but once you get them leveled up they make for it with amazing versatility.

zulux21

Step 1: stop saving the healing items.
I grew in power so much faster once I figured out that you will never have less than 5 health packs when you wake up the next morning. The health packs start regenerating as soon as you go below 5, with you getting a new one every 40 minutes... so until you need them for events (which you are a while away) don't be afraid to use them. This is really helpful if you don't have much time to play... just play burning through your 5 health packs as needed, and then stop and play again in a few hours if you have time.

Step 2: work through shield training... not only are the iso rewards better but you can get some useful covers early on 4 or so battles you can get another storm cover, and after 16 or so another battle (depending on how many points you are getting per battle)

in different news not sure how I feel about these
Gameplay
- S.H.I.E.L.D. has introduced new Tokens for Hawkeye (Classic) and Black Widow (Modern) for the use of Agents in the Prologue. These tokens replace the Hero Point reward used to recruit these heroes so that Agents don't accidentally spend that Hero Point stipend elsewhere and find themselves unable to continue training.
Events
- Black Widow has finally rooted out the mole responsible for destroying the history of recent Events and Tournaments in which Agents have competed. The final standings will now be available for any finished Event or Tournament for a time after its completion.
- Thanks to Black Widow's efforts, Agents can keep retired Event Tokens after an event ends. Event Tokens will no longer be replaced with Heroic Tokens!
Alliances
- A new type of Daily Reward has been implemented as a way to entice Agents to join Alliances. Each day, other active Agents will contribute Iso-8 to a fund that will be delivered to Alliance members.
- Pending applicants to an Alliance are now not able to chat with Alliance members. This prevents unscrupulous Agents from creating dummy accounts to spy on rival Alliances.

a lot of times i let my tokens expire because the heroic token would be more useful than the event token lol.
and it's a bit goofy to try to force people into alliances.

Made it to #7 in the Cap tourney. Too bad this thing is going to end at 9am making sure I'll be sub 100 by the time I wake up. I should really save for shields. But I'm a risk taker, and rather take my chances at buying a cover.

- A new type of Daily Reward has been implemented as a way to entice Agents to join Alliances. Each day, other active Agents will contribute Iso-8 to a fund that will be delivered to Alliance members.

I hope this doesn't replace what they already have going. At least the dailies will net me a heroic token or 3* hero from time to time. ISO is useless if I'm not getting those.

zulux21

I hope this doesn't replace what they already have going. At least the dailies will net me a heroic token or 3* hero from time to time. ISO is useless if I'm not getting those.

I don't think it will replace the daily reward as much as it will just be in addition...

also I missed this earlier... season tournaments are coming...
S.H.I.E.L.D. command has long been proud of their Agents in regards to the work that they do battling H.A.M.M.E.R. and any other threats to the safety of mankind. Versus Tournaments are another way that Agents have been able to improve their skills and test their mettle against other Agents in a consequence free environment. To further this aim, S.H.I.E.L.D. is instituting a new feature to these Tournaments, a Season format.

Each Season will run about a month with all Versus Tournaments that take place adding to the running points total for the Agents that take part in them. If an Agent is a part of an Alliance, the Alliance will gain points as well. Each Season will offer prizes for progression for individual Agents as well as placement rewards for both Agents and Alliances. S.H.I.E.L.D. command believes that the introduction of this new meta-Tournament will allow Agents to train themselves to even higher levels of efficiency in the search for greater rewards before taking that experience to the real world in the battle against Osborn.

NineH

I mean the top 10 because most of them are pretty close to 700-1000

I guess people want black hulk and Blue cover for IW

Sorry didn't mean to call you out. Just seeing if you're still out there.

It's alright, considering we have to grind the events a bit harder now since we're down a man or two.

Okay, an hour and a half left for those Hulk covers. Personally mine is at five green (and zero on the other two colors, lol) so I'm going to grind down to the top 50 and get a red cover.

Gaf-Vengers is currently 180. Top 100 gets a Hulk Black, so let's all just try to drop the hammer for a couple of rounds at least, and maybe we can catch it.

animus82

Banned
Okay, an hour and a half left for those Hulk covers. Personally mine is at five green (and zero on the other two colors, lol) so I'm going to grind down to the top 50 and get a red cover.

Gaf-Vengers is currently 180. Top 100 gets a Hulk Black, so let's all just try to drop the hammer for a couple of rounds at least, and maybe we can catch it.

MY Rage is will be worse then the Hulks if we don't get that black you guys!!

:D

Got up to 25 in the First Avenger tourney. Out of heals and viable characters, so that is as high as I can take it. I'm hoping to finish in the top 50 just to get a new Hulk power.

EDIT: Down to 27 with 5 minutes to go. Do have the #1 spot in GAF-Kanda

zulux21

so i can't do another match in time so I guess I will end with 730
rankings as i see them
8b6mp.jpg

8b6pc.jpg

8b6qe.jpg

:(

edit: i seem to have ended with 692 instead as I got hit while doing those rankings with the 30 seconds to go ^^;

animus82

Banned
Come on guys....

I don't get why you guys wait soo long..

I'm not aiming this on your Zulu. But maybe the rest of us could play a bit. Get to like 400 or so and then play in the last hours. Thats how I got rank 25.

Hopefully we can do better when we fill up the alliance.

Black hulk would have been sweet.

zulux21

Come on guys....

I'm not aiming this on your Zulu. But maybe the rest of us could play a bit. Get to like 400 or so and then play in the last hours. Thats how I got rank 25.

:p I waited so long because I slept through my first alarm lol

luckily this was an event I could just smash right through *checks the new event* aside from having to deal with hulk's hp the new event should be that way too...
the oasis map is so goofy :p

on a different note, don't count on my at all in the heroic event... the level scaling has F'ed me over again and I can't do jack shit... I am looking at level 100 starting enemies on hard and level 60 or so on easy which leads me to a 50/50 chance of being able to do any single match before dying :/

Askani

Come on guys....

The payoff is too great. For me, I just had the best tourney run I've ever had. My points weren't as high as I wanted, but I still ended at 640-660 at the end. I only played the last hour. I was never attacked, I lost only once, and every opponent I faced was at least a 30 point score. The match that I lost was a 42 point guy so I would have been at 700 had I won that one as well. Had I played earlier I would have been lucky to finish with 500 points and in the middle of my bracket. This way I added at least 150 extra points and finished top ten in my bracket.

animus82

Banned
Again, wasn't aiming that at you Zulu. I know you play on PC.

Nobody expects nothing from nobody on the Heroic because guys like me, NEVER lvled hawkeye or 2 star wolvie and I don't have any 1 stars anymore.

Top Bottom