• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Gotchaye

My problem is that I'm at the point where I don't really care about most of the rewards. I'll get top 10 in this Hulk tournament, but without the alliance guilting me into it I don't know that I'd have even entered the Captain America tournament that just ended. My 3* Captain is 4/3/3 at this point too, and since he's not all that great I don't feel any need to get more covers for him, so this round of Heroics doesn't seem worth bothering with.

zulux21

Again, wasn't aiming that at you Zulu. I know you play on PC.

Nobody expects nothing from nobody on the Heroic because guys like me, NEVER lvled hawkeye or 2 star wolvie and I don't have any 1 stars anymore.

oh I know you weren't, I was just saying I was planning on getting up a bit earlier... but at the same time I don't think my point total would have been that different had I gotten up earlier, maybe an extra 50 points or so.

either way, I hope they stop these stupid super locked rosters... they seriously burn me out on this game quickly because they are just not fun to play :/

My problem is that I'm at the point where I don't really care about most of the rewards. I'll get top 10 in this Hulk tournament, but without the alliance guilting me into it I don't know that I'd have even entered the Captain America tournament that just ended. My 3* Captain is 4/3/3 at this point too, and since he's not all that great I don't feel any need to get more covers for him, so this round of Heroics doesn't seem worth bothering with.

I can get that, the only covers i need for hulk are black ones... thus i pushed for the alliance but if i didn't have that I wouldn't have had much motivation... just like with the current heroic... where i just don't see lazy cap as a mainstay of my teams my motivation to grind for him is low even without a crap event.

LuuKyK

Decent tips for low level just starting out.

1. Do NOT invest in Hawkeye. He's frail, and his abilities suck. Literally one of the worst in the game.
  2. Invest heavily in Black Widow. Her blue ability can stun folks for 5 turns at a time effectively "stun locking" them for so long that by the time they wakeup you've fished enough blue to deny them getting any moves.
  3. Storm/Thor is major thing to aim for at any level. Thor is in the prologue covers and his ability to create green and Storm's ability to use green to clean massive amounts of tiles and give you fuel for each means that the two can start a chain of events that is self sustaining and never ends. One of the best teams in the game and stays competitive even at high rank.
  4. Storm in general should be grabbed. Her ability to clear tiles in general deals a major blow to all the countdown tile hammer agents in the prologue.
  5. Juggernaut hits like a truck. If you can get him abuse him early on in prologue stuff. His green and red are only 6 in cost and not only can he clear countdown tiles on his own but he can also deal out over a grand in damage at a time. Yeah he hurts himself some...he cripples teams andits worth it in the prologue where health abounds.
  6. Dont bother with Bagman spidey. Even at high level play with a lot of support he is generally just a big frail failure.
  7. Venom is a decent all arounder for damage, and stuns. Nothing amazing but decently healthy and useful on teams if you just end up with him since his covers are everywhere.
  8. Bullseye is shit. I've tried, but its not happening. Even max level he's to shit to bother with. Dies to enemy abilities. ALWAYS TARGET HIM FIRST THOUGH. His shields will reduce ALL damage outside of abilities to ZERO. Kill him or be screwed.
  9. Target the lietenants first in hammer fights. They heal folks and get tiles placed FAST. Off them and the rest is manageable. Leave them and they build so much AP on you from living so long you will never manage to clear their tiles in time.
  10. Snipers like to oneshot and pyros can wipe your whole team. Leave whatever color of tile they put on the board the hell alone until they push out a countdown timer. Otherwise you just got rid of the only tools that may have gotten rid of their shit.
  11. Beware the Maggia muscle. Their strike tiles up damage by the HUNDREDS per tile. Its insane. Kill dem with juggs quick if you can.
  12. Yelena belova is literally the worst character in the game. No one has EVER found a use for her. Toss her for iso.
  13. 5 tiles of the same color in the shape of an L counts as 5 of a kind just like a straight line does...however the computer doesn't recognize this shape and the opponent will never go for them, but you can. Just remember though that the computer will ALWAYS go for a 4 of a kind which may ruin this opportunity. Use that 4 of a kind knowledge wisely and try to be careful about that.
  14. Early on your best utlity characters are Storm and Black Widow as Storm acts as the best battery in the game to fuel your team and controls space well against tiles and Widow can steal their fuel and stun folks so much that she breaks any team she faces off with's strategies once she gets going.
  15. Ironman is a good all around. His blue is too hard to get though and blue is better saved for Widow. Try to max his red and yellow if possible. Repulsor blast and using his shields to lessen damage taken is really handy early on.

Thanks for the tips! Will put them to good use for sure.

I guess I will be rolling Iron Man, Storm and Black Widow then. That was mainly the team I was using except I had Hawkeye on my team way more than BW, so that will change. :p

And what about Psylocke? Is she any good?
Only asking because she is probably my favorite Marvel character. lol

You're going to have to have patience starting out. As with most freemium games the more you play the more you'll get to play in the future. Until you get to a point where you have several maxed out heroes it's going to be a bit tiring. Your best bet is to focus on leveling a core group of characters, from the heroes you have Iron Man, Wolverine, Black Widow, and Storm all have decent staying power. Storm and BW are a bit flimsy, but once you get them leveled up they make for it with amazing versatility.

Patience is certainly something that I lack. :p

But I will try, because outside of those things I mentioned, I am really enjoying the game overall.

Step 1: stop saving the healing items.
I grew in power so much faster once I figured out that you will never have less than 5 health packs when you wake up the next morning. The health packs start regenerating as soon as you go below 5, with you getting a new one every 40 minutes... so until you need them for events (which you are a while away) don't be afraid to use them. This is really helpful if you don't have much time to play... just play burning through your 5 health packs as needed, and then stop and play again in a few hours if you have time.

Step 2: work through shield training... not only are the iso rewards better but you can get some useful covers early on 4 or so battles you can get another storm cover, and after 16 or so another battle (depending on how many points you are getting per battle)

Whoa, I didn't know about the healing items regeneration. That helps. I will start using them then. Thanks. :)

zulux21

Thanks for the tips! Will put them to good use for sure.

I guess I will be rolling Iron Man, Storm and Black Widow then. That was mainly the team I was using except I had Hawkeye on my team way more than BW, so that will change. :p

And what about Psylocke? Is she any good?
Only asking because she is probably my favorite Marvel character. lol

Patience is certainly something that I lack. :p

But I will try, because outside of those things I mentioned, I am really enjoying the game overall.

Whoa, I didn't know about the healing items regeneration. That helps. I will start using them then. Thanks. :)

psylocke is ok... she isn't good enough that I see myself using her on a regular basis, but she isn't so bad that I feel shame for having her on my roster (or sigh when I have to use her).

and yeah they don't make it very clear that healing items regen like that, knowing that helps so much if you don't have a ton of time to devote to the game lol.

animus82

Banned
What makes Thor, OBW teams so prevalent?

I don't get the synergy. Yeah she steals AP and he can chain stuff.

I eat these teams up using Patch and my own OBW.

zulux21

OBW because she is one of the only healers in the game.

as for thor he is the two star with the most HP and has decent moves. I would assume that is why he is around so much.

OBW because she is one of the only healers in the game.

as for thor he is the two star with the most HP and has decent moves. I would assume that is why he is around so much.

I get a lot of use out of OBW & Ares. His green is so easy to build up, but has a low enough price of entry that it can get you out of a pinch.

shaowebb

I'm still tanking Ares Daken or Ares Thor on this Hulk Event. Its waaaaaaaaaaay more painful for folks now that I get to use my hulks with 5 green 2 black and a red than that Steve Rogers was. Hit whoever you feel like. The next move is gonna make you regret it. And they had better hope they oneshot Hulk because if anyone on my team is standing beside him they are straight up screwed.

zulux21

man I really want to help the alliance on hard mode of the event but I just can't... I can't clear the level 100 enemies... if I have bad luck at all I just die :/

I can get some points on easy at least

edit: just read what some of my boosts do >.>
I can do some matches with +150% damage... so there will be at least those 10k points or so for hard lol

Fjord

Eh it's about the same right, a yellow/green/red bruiser to complement OBW. I think Thor is probably a little better because his Green does more damage than Wolverine's Red and Thor can also shake up the board. Important for not only cascading but also keeping countdown and attack tiles from destroying you on a stagnant board. Although I've recently discovered Wolverine's Green is a fantastic counter to Daken. If you use up all the red tiles his ability won't go off.

Oh my best new player tip. ALL of your hero points should go towards expanding your roster immediately. You really can't have enough slots and it keeps you from having to throw away good covers. I wasted lots of ISO selling partly leveled up 2* characters to make room for a 3*.

animus82

Banned
Did you guys hear how they are increasing the Alliance sizes to 25?

Also, we have two gaf alliances.

Gaf-vengers and another that I forget.

And finally, LOL at bursting down a lvl 180 HULK using patch. Crazy, crazy.

zulux21

Is there a GAF Alliance? I'm in one currently and they kind of sucks. What do I need to do to get in?

we aren't exactly amazing ourselves :p
how many points in the heroic modes do you have?

and the event is ending so now for the bottom people from this event...
Hard mode
8csfX.jpg

easy mode

the event was super crummy though so I can't really blame anyone for being low, the only shame with the hard mode was were were 18 places from the top :(

zulux21

Man, that event sucked bad.

Glad it's over.

It's too bad we couldn't do better but them's the breaks.

yup... also hmmm the steam version of the game seems to have had a minor update...
the progression rewards are now on top while the placement rewards are at the bottom (aka flipped from before... which I am fine with)

they also added a versus image on my event :p

I was trying to secure a top 10 finish on easy mode but I finished right as the clock expired. We'll see what I get. I read there was a way to see how you/your alliance did after an event was over - is this accurate? I don't really see any way to do it on my Android device.

zulux21

I was trying to secure a top 10 finish on easy mode but I finished right as the clock expired. We'll see what I get. I read there was a way to see how you/your alliance did after an event was over - is this accurate? I don't really see any way to do it on my Android device.

not yet but it's coming in the next main patch that should be out sometime between when i finish this post and april 25th or so :p

NineH

I am also glad this event is over but because of the limited roster, I found that bagman is not THAT bad, although he is still pretty crummy. I was thankful for his countdown tile manipulation because without that, I don't think I would have been able to deal with the buffed maggia and hammer goons.

cobell

It's also hard to get points for the alliance whenever they have these events ending at noon for me. I don't have the time to sit for hours at work playing.

Thanks for the info Zulux. It will be nice to see more detail about how we do.

Cobell - The last couple of deadlines worked pretty well for me. They have ended around 9:00 Pacific time. I probably have spent too much time playing at work but at least that is pretty close to the start of my day so I can still get plenty done.

I did not manage to get top 10 in the event but I did make top 20. That gave me a couple covers for 3* Cap so even though I did not have a great lineup, I'm happy with the results.

Askani

I need to figure out who to level next. I have a capped IM40 5/4/4 (who I don't use hardly anymore), Ares 4/4/5, OBW 5/5/3, M.Hawkeye 5/5/3, MN.Thor 5/5/3, and A.Wolverine 5/3/5.

The ones I think I'm more interested in are:
Punisher 4/4/5 level 60
C.Storm 5/5/3 level 60

My "second leveling tier" is:
Spiderman 2/3/3 level 54 (my cap is 77)
Hulk 5/1/1 level 50 (my cap is 69)
Lazy Thor 3/2/3 level 45 (my cap is 77)
Patch 1/0/5 level 40 (my cap is 66)
MN.Mags 3/5/5 level 22 (full cap to 85)

I started playing C.Storm/Ares/OBW and I really liked that combo. However, they are all 85 max level chars. I could see slotting Punisher in for Ares and getting pretty far. As for the second tier, MN Mags is the only one with max covers but I don't know how much I would use him and he also caps at 85. Everyone else would be nice to have at higher level but they have obvious holes.

I guess after typing it out and looking at it, Punisher seems like the obvious choice. Other suggestions?

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I wish they'd nerf Classic Storm's raging tempest. It's nothing but a troll PVP move for the most part... she's there to make you skip her at high level as she's going to deplete so much of your HP even if you win the fight easily that's it's just not worth fighting those matches.

People seem to use her as basically a free shield.

Spoit

I wish they'd nerf Classic Storm's raging tempest. It's nothing but a troll PVP move for the most part... she's there to make you skip her at high level as she's going to deplete so much of your HP even if you win the fight easily that's it's just not worth fighting those matches.

It was nerfed. Almost as bad as Rags was

Made it to ~11th on the hard PvE. It was so focused on trying to get that hero token, I didn't get too many points in the Easy one. Still nabbed a few Cap covers though.

It's really not that strong if you have decently leveled characters. I just chip her down a bit, and she's normally gone in one or two strong attacks. Might get hit once with the wind but that's only 300 damage or so. Maybe she's good in offense, because if she's on the team it's so much easier to fight than a OBW/Thor. I did run into a stupid situation where I had her on my team and when I got hit with the Tempest it was enough to trigger my Tempest. We just bounced back and forth with no chance for moves, and by the end her team killed mine by just a sliver.

animus82

Banned
I need to figure out who to level next. I have a capped IM40 5/4/4 (who I don't use hardly anymore), Ares 4/4/5, OBW 5/5/3, M.Hawkeye 5/5/3, MN.Thor 5/5/3, and A.Wolverine 5/3/5.
at it, Punisher seems like the obvious choice. Other suggestions?

You're right go with Punisher for that DPS or Storm/Spider man.

Also about C.Storm. She is easy bait if you use OBW. Just match blues and double tap her out first. When she is down. Unload your abilities on whoever is left. Easy as pie.

cobell

I love Punisher's red attack. Maxed out it'll KO the target if they are under 40% health which is fantastic especially against a buffed hero/villain.

Spoit

Did you guys hear how they are increasing the Alliance sizes to 25?

Also, we have two gaf alliances.

Gaf-vengers and another that I forget.

And finally, LOL at bursting down a lvl 180 HULK using patch. Crazy, crazy.

Do you have a source for that? I'm not seeing it on the forums

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Let's just forget those last few events happened. Seems like the first time in a while there hasn't been a bunch of upcoming events laid out. I assume the Lazy Daken event is next.

Still no word on syncing the Steam version with iOS/mobile versions though? Is this even something they have planned anymore?

EDIT: Who runs GAF-vengers and GAF-kanda?

LuuKyK

Things are starting to get better now. :)

Managed to level up my Black Widow (she stuns for 5 turns now, thats great) and Storm.

Also got rid of Hawkeye and Wolverine because I got Black Panther (15) and Juggernaut (1) from tokens, and they are massively more useful than those other two.

Not enough though. Should be single target, not team.

It used to be a legitimately funny move. I'll bet most of the folks in this thread accidentally targeted a non-Classic Storm and set off a chain reaction of tempests that would only end when one team was obliterated.

Happened more than I care to admit.

Let's just forget those last few events happened. Seems like the first time in a while there hasn't been a bunch of upcoming events laid out. I assume the Lazy Daken event is next.

Still no word on syncing the Steam version with iOS/mobile versions though? Is this even something they have planned anymore?

EDIT: Who runs GAF-vengers and GAF-kanda?

Not sure about GAF-vengers, but pretty much all of us are commanders in GAF-kanda. We currently have 12 full spots on the roster. I'm not sure if someone was supposed to buy the 13th or not.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Not sure about GAF-vengers, but pretty much all of us are commanders in GAF-kanda. We currently have 12 full spots on the roster. I'm not sure if someone was supposed to buy the 13th or not.
Yeah I'm a part of GAF-kanda ATM, but I didn't buy a slot (I'm not sure of the process behind this, which is why I'm asking).

I think I've been contributing significantly in the past few events, though I understand people may have not been well prepared for them.

shaowebb

My performance as per normal was heavily influenced by this being the final month of my overloaded college career in engineering. 20hours is a beast when you lose a month to the water crisis in WV +Winter Storm Titan.

That and the fact that my only low level competitors were essentially Storm, a buffed Torch and whoever survived a match. :D

Besides...I drew a black cover for hulk off a random token *braggin like fuck*

Anyhow no big incentives were there save black covers for Hulk and misery. So right now I say we should mainly team focus on figuring out who we have in our rosters that have good covers and need leveled and focus on leveling them hard to make things better. I've maxed my Ares, and nearly got my Thor. After that I'm going for Hulk, MN Mags and after some things I've seen I believe I can make my Doom a real threat.

New characters or crazy shit like Spidey, Mags, or Black Hulk we do what we can to scramble after. Other than that...I say we just use events to level if there is no crucial prize in it that will make us able to compete in ways or in events others likely wont. Leveling up is in order me thinks.

If it helps...I'm 473 of our points in the Hulk event.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
My performance as per normal was heavily influenced by this being the final month of my overloaded college career in engineering. 20hours is a beast when you lose a month to the water crisis in WV +Winter Storm Titan.
This too, finishing up my degree now. Two thesis papers deadlines in a week with over 50 pages of writing between the two = probably the furthest I ever will be from my phone heh

zulux21

Yeah I'm a part of GAF-kanda ATM, but I didn't buy a slot (I'm not sure of the process behind this, which is why I'm asking).

I think I've been contributing significantly in the past few events, though I understand people may have not been well prepared for them.

in general people were required to buy a slot just to open the next one... if you want to stick around you should likely buy a slot.

that being said no one has shown interest in taking up the last slot on gaf-vengers yet let alone buying into gaf-kanda

shaowebb

Anymore news on the accidently mentioned Colossus reveal? We know they are making him due to a slip up when they were talking about the Thor/verine patch.

zulux21

Anymore news on the accidently mentioned Colossus reveal? We know they are making him due to a slip up when they were talking about the Thor/verine patch.

all we know is he won't be next...
next up is...
LAZY DAKEN :p

so it seems the alliance reward is 25*the number of people who logged in the day before
so up to 500 iso a day.. not bad

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
in general people were required to buy a slot just to open the next one... if you want to stick around you should likely buy a slot.

that being said no one has shown interest in taking up the last slot on gaf-vengers yet let alone buying into gaf-kanda
I'd be willing to buy into the last slot in GAF-vengers. How do I do so?

zulux21

I'd be willing to buy into the last slot in GAF-vengers. How do I do so?

currently I was just planning on accepting who ever applied to gaf-vengers next as the 20th slot... figured we could figure out how to deal with others wanting to join when someone else wanted to join or someone who founded the darn thing figured out what they wanted to do :p

zulux21

If we got a spare slot I say recruit Enzo. 3v3 marvel...he has a track record with that sort of thing ;)

I'm personally fine with any warm body that will match my numbers (which in general isn't asking for a ton... 300-500 points in pvp and enough to get a top 100 on most pve events :p*) or even a little less (which makes me feel good about what i offer as I don't play at work :p)

*in events that aren't retarded roster locked :p

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If we got a spare slot I say recruit Enzo. 3v3 marvel...he has a track record with that sort of thing ;)
my man

the fruits of my labour!

I'm personally fine with any warm body that will match my numbers (which in general isn't asking for a ton... 300-500 points in pvp and enough to get a top 100 on most pve events :p*) or even a little less (which makes me feel good about what i offer as I don't play at work :p)

*in events that aren't retarded roster locked :p
Is 20 slots the maximum?

Well, I do play actively (despite not posting in here much; I don't use subs). And I think I just barely meet those requirements based on recent performances :D Looking through y'all rosters is intimidating though. I'm pretty much in that phase where I'm just waiting for 2* and 3* covers to come around to start building up more non-1* heroes. (Just sold Venom the other day D;)

If anything, y'all can kick me to the curb if another player/applicant seems to be more helpful, but I am willing to help out with purchasing a slot if need be. Let me know what the council decides :p

NomarTyme

my man

the fruits of my labour!

Is 20 slots the maximum?

Well, I do play actively (despite not posting in here much; I don't use subs). And I think I just barely meet those requirements based on recent performances :D Looking through y'all rosters is intimidating though. I'm pretty much in that phase where I'm just waiting for 2* and 3* covers to come around to start building up more non-1* heroes. (Just sold Venom the other day D;)

If anything, y'all can kick me to the curb if another player/applicant seems to be more helpful, but I am willing to help out with purchasing a slot if need be. Let me know what the council decides :p

Currently 20 is max, but I can see them jacking up to more than twenty.
As long as you're active, its all good.

It used to be ridiculous. She would hit for ~1000 and generate red AP. They were right to nerf it, but they may have gone a little overboard with it.

The first time I encountered the non nerfed raging tempest was so unreal! I looked at my life points and said WTF??! Where did it all go?

zulux21

my man

the fruits of my labour!

Is 20 slots the maximum?

just leave gaf-kanda and apply to vengers already :p

to be fair we have a couple other members that have really been sucking it up recently. I would actually have to go through my wall of shame posts, but i am pretty sure 1 or 2 members have regularly only managed to do a match or two in any given event.

Top Bottom