• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

shaowebb

Oooh lookit the pretty new animations and menu layouts. I feel special having been there for them all.

BTW I'm goin in as hard as i can on any and all events with Falcon. I wants me some Birdman so if anyone wants yellow covers "to inspire others to be cooler than you are" feel free to party down on the Doom stuff and the last few days of PVE. I have a strong feeling Birdman will be one helluva utility. I've seen what his shield ability can do and its fucking ridiculous. If we properly level his yellow he can cover any team with tile placers and make them absolutely stupid with their defense and damage.

zulux21

Oooh lookit the pretty new animations and menu layouts. I feel special having been there for them all.

BTW I'm goin in as hard as i can on any and all events with Falcon. I wants me some Birdman so if anyone wants yellow covers "to inspire others to be cooler than you are" feel free to party down on the Doom stuff and the last few days of PVE. I have a strong feeling Birdman will be one helluva utility. I've seen what his shield ability can do and its fucking ridiculous. If we properly level his yellow he can cover any team with tile placers and make them absolutely stupid with their defense and damage.

just imagine what he would be doing if he was using his original numbers

BJK

just need someone to temp leave and come back... of course gaf was down for most of the day so I only saw these posts now :/

if you are cool with that let me know so we can get you another member in your alliance

Do you still need someone to drop GAF-kanda? I'll be online for a few hours, so I can assist as needed (or I could just buy a slot, since I've never been hit-up for it).

EDIT: MPQ name = Freemium

zulux21

Do you still need someone to drop GAF-kanda? I'll be online for a few hours, so I can assist as needed (or I could just buy a slot, since I've never been hit-up for it).

honestly if you bought a slot that would be the easiest solution, then the other guy trying to join could just get in and buy a slot and gaf-kanda could attempt to work their way up to 20 members and actually have a good shot at top 100s.

what's your user name on puzzle quest I can just promote you to commander via my wife's account.

and promoted

RipRamsey

Sorry guys. GAF was down for most the day for me. I just sent a request for the alliance and will buy a slot as soon as I'm approved

zulux21

Sorry guys. GAF was down for most the day for me. I just sent a request for the alliance and will buy a slot as soon as I'm approved

approved and promoted... someone else bought a slot so it went up a little for the next slot... I can send you some random steam games if you are upset about that ^^;

jred2k

I just got about as bad a 10-pack Heroic as I could get.

** Wolverine - Green
Ares - Green
Bag-Man Spider-Man - Purple
Classic Storm - Yellow
** Cap. America - Yellow
** Magneto - Purple
** Thor - Red
Bullseye - Purple
** Thor - Red
Moonstone - Purple

Only Ares, Bullseye, and Magneto were of any use to me.

Fjord

I just got about as bad a 10-pack Heroic as I could get.

** Wolverine - Green
Ares - Green
Bag-Man Spider-Man - Purple
Classic Storm - Yellow
** Cap. America - Yellow
** Magneto - Purple
** Thor - Red
Bullseye - Purple
** Thor - Red
Moonstone - Purple

Only Ares, Bullseye, and Magneto were of any use to me.

Ah man bad luck, I think its like triple chance for 3* characters in a 10 pack too isn't it?

animus82

Banned
Jeez, I try to take it easy on the weekends (because of Dark Souls 2) and it completely fucked me over in this game...

Won't get jack from the Simulator and probably not the PVP because these PVPs keep feeding one after another like the PVE. Kind of forces you to keep playing.

lmpaler

All I can say is thank the Gods I put Linux on my laptop or I would be Alt-Tabbing this game all day at work lol. I now have two accounts, mobile and Steam. Sigh.

Also my buddy and I were talking and we wish this game would set up some sort of card trading mechanic. He has covers I want and he doesn't need and vice versa. I know the publishers want to make money, but really that would help everyone out a ton and they could still make money

shaowebb

All I can say is thank the Gods I put Linux on my laptop or I would be Alt-Tabbing this game all day at work lol. I now have two accounts, mobile and Steam. Sigh.

Also my buddy and I were talking and we wish this game would set up some sort of card trading mechanic. He has covers I want and he doesn't need and vice versa. I know the publishers want to make money, but really that would help everyone out a ton and they could still make money

That'd totally cripple the game economoy and D3 profits given how many spare covers folks get. Sucks when that happens but if it keeps the game in business keep it out.

Alright GAF-Vengers, we're pretty much locked in on a Blue Falcon on Simulation that ends tonight. Let's make sure we get the Yellow one tomorrow morning on Doctor's Orders, too!

Askani

I really don't understand how you guys do it when it comes to PVP. I've been playing the Doom event for the last couple of hours. I started at 500 and I wanted to shield up at 800 points.

I. Can't. Get. There.

Bouncing around from top 15 to top 9. I'm just attacked over and over again. I go into a match and win 25 points to come back and lose 27. I go into a match and win to come back to 50 points lost. I'm back to 749 and 11th place right now. It's all I can do to just maintain.

If I play early I run out of people to play and get attacked because I'm number one. If I play at the last minute I get to 500 and start to wash with people attacking me. So thing time I tried with about a day left and I still can't break 800.

I understand part of this is my Doom is only level 41 and sucks and people aren't "afraid" of my team. When should I be playing these? I want to do better but nothing seems to be right in terms of a top 5 finish. Hell I would like to consistently finish top 10 but I keep barely missing out.

shaowebb

Alright GAF-Vengers, we're pretty much locked in on a Blue Falcon on Simulation that ends tonight. Let's make sure we get the Yellow one tomorrow morning on Doctor's Orders, too!

Wait Doctor's Orders doesn't end till tomorrow? Oh YEAH. Im solid then. Gives me time to pick my rank up after falcon ends. I'm ranked 12 overall right now on the entire Falcon event and I got top 5 on heroic and top 7 on normal (which I haven't touched in hours). Should be a cinch for me to get 1 of every cover now.

animus82

Banned
I really don't understand how you guys do it when it comes to PVP. I've been playing the Doom event for the last couple of hours. I started at 500 and I wanted to shield up at 800 points.

I. Can't. Get. There.

Bouncing around from top 15 to top 9. I'm just attacked over and over again. I go into a match and win 25 points to come back and lose 27. I go into a match and win to come back to 50 points lost. I'm back to 749 and 11th place right now. It's all I can do to just maintain.

If I play early I run out of people to play and get attacked because I'm number one. If I play at the last minute I get to 500 and start to wash with people attacking me. So thing time I tried with about a day left and I still can't break 800.

I understand part of this is my Doom is only level 41 and sucks and people aren't "afraid" of my team. When should I be playing these? I want to do better but nothing seems to be right in terms of a top 5 finish. Hell I would like to consistently finish top 10 but I keep barely missing out.

You're MMR is prob. higher then mine or Shadowwebbs. What is your team again?

I have a low Doom also like lvl 40.

zulux21

Zulux, are you in BOTH alliances?

I'm personally in gaf-vengers
my wife is in gaf-kanda but I use her account to moderate that alliance to help them get to 20 members so we can have two awesome alliances.

That being said gaf-vengers needs a new active member that scores well... and gaf-kanda needs 6 more members ideally before the season is over.

Askani

You're MMR is prob. higher then mine or Shadowwebbs. What is your team again?

I have a low Doom also like lvl 40.

All I've been using is 85 OBW, 85 Ares or Thor, and then my 41 Doom. I have a 141 IM40, 110 Punisher, but I haven't used them in the tourney.

I don't like the idea of MMR tanking but if it's what I have to so then so be it.

zulux21

All I've been using is 85 OBW, 85 Ares or Thor, and then my 41 Doom. I have a 141 IM40, 110 Punisher, but I haven't used them in the tourney.

I don't like the idea of MMR tanking but if it's what I have to so then so be it.

the idea of tanking is stupid, but it's something you have to do at least a little.... I typically just tank the lightning round stuff (I take a level 50 team to 100 points or so facing the seeder teams so I can get some rewards and then get attacked a lot) and that works out alright for me...

I am also currently running a 141 patch and level 80 mags which seems to do a decent job of scaring people away.

If you have iso to burn at the very least I would level up your lazy thor as he would be more scary than the normal thor... also personally I think punisher gets along a lot better with OBW then thor or ares as his green move puts strike tiles which does double effect for widow matches, and his black move is really solid for pvp in general... his red isn't amazing but it's not bad either.

shaowebb

Im #5 in the world and only about 1 match from top 3. Out of health and out of time guys. 2 hours to go and I'm sitting at #1 and #3 in my brackets. I can't stay up till midnight though. I got to get up for work at 5 am and I got another final after that tomorrow. Gotta get my sleep.

Strange thing is I know I haven't tanked Falcon...just sort of popped in for an hour or so 2 nights per event. Must have been the flood of other shit they had up thinning the herd.

Askani

the idea of tanking is stupid, but it's something you have to do at least a little.... I typically just tank the lightning round stuff (I take a level 50 team to 100 points or so facing the seeder teams so I can get some rewards and then get attacked a lot) and that works out alright for me...

I am also currently running a 141 patch and level 80 mags which seems to do a decent job of scaring people away.

If you have iso to burn at the very least I would level up your lazy thor as he would be more scary than the normal thor... also personally I think punisher gets along a lot better with OBW then thor or ares as his green move puts strike tiles which does double effect for widow matches, and his black move is really solid for pvp in general... his red isn't amazing but it's not bad either.

Lazy Thor is definitely my next level up. I don't have huge amounts of ISO right now but he's getting it split with C.Storn until she hits 85. He's one cover short of level cap, and I'll worry about spec later, but he's mostly how I want him.

I spend some time with Punisher but not as much as I probably should. I wish I had the covers for Patch but he's at 2/0/5 which is kind of garbage.

zulux21

wait a tick... I thought the simulator event as a whole had like 4 days left... woops... at least I made a decent push today lol...

I am pushing a bit in doom, and I plan to get up to push much higher in the morning... but I make no promises... work killed me today and I am very worn down.

we do need a 20th member in gaf vengers though.

also despite there being a list for "funbalancing" next character to get a nerf is... 1 star storm (and falcon again)
Falcon: Inspiration
Old ability:
Inspiration - Yellow Passive
Falcon spreads his wings, motivating his teammates as he swoops into the fight. When the team makes a yellow match, Falcon improves the strength of 3 friendly Protect, Strike, or Attack tiles by 10 percent.
Level Upgrades
Level 2: Improves friendly tiles by 15 percent.
Level 3: Improves friendly tiles by 20 percent.
Level 4: Improves friendly tiles by 25 percent.
Level 5: Improves friendly tiles by 30 percent.

New ability:
Inspiration - Yellow Passive
Falcon spreads his wings, motivating his teammates as he swoops into the fight. When the team makes a yellow match, Falcon improves the strength of 2 friendly Protect, Strike, or Attack tiles by 7.
Level Upgrades
Level 2: Improves friendly tiles by 8.
Level 3: Improves friendly tiles by 10.
Level 4: Improves friendly tiles by 13.
Level 5: Improves 3 friendly tiles by 13.
Max Level: Improves 3 friendly tiles by 79.

As announced earlier, this ability needs to go to a static increase instead of a percentage. The percentage works great for scaling but works horribly for the character himself since it means that keeping Falcon at lower levels so that he doesn't tank any of the tiles is advantageous. Percentages also have the disadvantage of being great for high powered Strike/Protect/Attack tiles but fairly useless on low powered ones such as Storm (Modern)'s Hailstorm. Making the increase static instead of a percentage fixes these issues by allowing the value to scale by Falcons level. This means that it's important to level Falcon up to get more advantage from this skill. It also creates a strong reason for players to use Falcon with other characters that use lower powered tile placements as opposed to having him be at his strongest when dealing only with characters like Doom or Magneto.

And a minor tweak to Storm (Modern)'s Level 5 Lightning Strike:
Old Ability:
Lightning Strike - Green 10 AP
Storm calls a blinding bolt of electricity from the heavens, shattering 8 tiles, doing damage and earning AP for each.
Level Upgrades
Level 2: Shatters 9 tiles.
Level 3: Shatters 10 tiles.
Level 4: Shatters 12 tiles.
Level 5: Shatters 16 tiles.

New Ability:
Lightning Strike - Green 10 AP
Storm calls a blinding bolt of electricity from the heavens, shattering 8 tiles, doing damage and earning AP for each.
Level Upgrades
Level 2: Shatters 9 tiles.
Level 3: Shatters 10 tiles.
Level 4: Shatters 12 tiles.
Level 5: Shatters 14 tiles.

Askani

Only 1 cover? save up your hp and buy that asap.

I'm only 75 Hp away from 1250 but...ugh, it makes me feel so dirty.

If I get enough HP over the next couple days for the new slot plus a Lazy Thor cover, I may just bite on it. He's at 55 now and it'll be awhile before it's a major concern anyway.

You know what chaps my ass?

That I can have a team of 3* characters in the 90-110 level range and they're still at a disadvantage against OBW and Thor. I use OBW all the time, and it's annoying that I'm losing or just skating by if I actually want to change up my team to a "stronger" roster.

Spoit

That's actually a buff for the falcon (at max level) and a ridiculously large one at that, you need like lazycap/IW/nick fury levels of base tile damage for it to boost anywhere near that much

zulux21

That's actually a buff for the falcon (at max level) and a ridiculously large one at that, you need like lazycap/IW/nick fury levels of base tile damage for it to boost anywhere near that much

it really depends on how long the battle drags out and if you are running 5 covers.

also i am trying on doom but i am actually getting attacked a lot so we will see where I can end up

heh just miscounted my damage and had 20 or so level 5 hulk tiles go off on me while they had 4 purple patch boosts still...

I just died so hard it should have cost me two health packs per character to get them back lol

zulux21

I know absolutely nothing about how these groups work but I have over a page of heroes, and I wouldn't mind joining. Signed up just in case. If there's no room for me, that's okay, no harm done.
added you just try to get as many points as possible in the next 10 min in the doom event.

animus82

Banned
You know what chaps my ass?

That I can have a team of 3* characters in the 90-110 level range and they're still at a disadvantage against OBW and Thor. I use OBW all the time, and it's annoying that I'm losing or just skating by if I actually want to change up my team to a "stronger" roster.

Same here. Ive complained about her utility being too great as well.

You know who is even more crazy? Your boy Spider Man. At 3/4/0 and lvl 77 he is almost as good as OBW. One or two more covers and he transends her.

Why steal AP? Why push the timer out? Why not just stun lock the entire team?? With a team stunned they can't damage you and they can't earn AP.

Askani

Just noticed Toxicadam is in my season bracket with 8k points, 3rd place, and a great roster. Too bad he's not in a GAF alliance.

lol. The Commander in his Alliance has >> 15 << level 141 covers. Jesus.

zulux21

heh...
hit 1k points not really being attacked
suddenly hit for 150 loss
do another match for 30 points
hit for another 150 loss :/

oh well I should still get top 25 (well that was the third time I hit it)

I could have shielded the second time I hit it, but I didn't feel like wasting the HP with 8 min to go :/

Bairds

Neo Member
Tried to push a bit too late in Doctor's Orders, and was sitting at 10 for 2 of the Falcon covers but by the time I had exited the battle bam, back down to 15th, destroyed me.

Hit my first 141 with Hulk, have been rolling with him Hulk, 115 Iron Man Model 40 (I'm holding him here for the forseeable future, I imagine another level or two and he his blue match power will surpass OBW, and I enjoy the extra blue from her espionage) and then 85 OBW. Hulk and Iron Man are high enough level where it will scare off a lot of people, but you'll still get knocked out maybe once or twice a day in the SHIELD event. Usually by Spider-man cheesers. In matches with required characters its OBW and Hulk.

Now that I've hit Hulk with 141, wondering who to go with next, got enough for Punisher to max level so it might be him next.

animus82

Banned
Great another one with patch rewards. The one three star I have maxed.

Oh well, can't win em all.

They are never going to give Spider Man Covers are they? Just once I want Spider Man. Been playing this game for almost 4 months and never once Spider man.

Top Bottom