• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign |OT| Welcome To Marvel [5m23s]!

Finally got my 10 pack. Since "liveblogging" this seems to be the thing to do...

First clearing out my 1 standard and 2 Oscorp tokens...Purple Spidey, Green Invisible Woman and Green Patch!

Holy crap.

...And the 10 pack...

**green Thor
**purple Bags
**blue Bags
**red Now Mags
**red Thor
***blue Spidey <--- yay
**blue OBW
**red Moonstone
**red fucking cap
**green Wolvie

Ah well. If I hadn't gotten those three ridiculous pulls prior to the 10 pack I would be more annoyed. All my ** characters are at max covers but the Spidey will help. Just in time for nerfs.

Spoit

Why are all of you opening your 10 packs right away? It only took like a week and a half for them to add falcon to the heroics

raiot

Wow at the spiderman nerf... My highest chars are Spiderman at 90 and Classic Mag at 101.
I think I may be done with this game :(

lmpaler

Events are gone for me at the moment, but sad story incoming.

I lost my yellow X-Force Wolverine. :(

I thought I still has enough time because I needed another slot and didn't want to buy any coins, but I have been out of town on business so I only get to play before bed this week and the last few days have been brutal and I was too tired to do anything, but shower and sleep.

Get on this morning and I get all these rewards, clear 200 HP, sweet time to buy a slot. Did, but he expired. Lesson learned.

It is my own fault though, I'm not upset, just like man that sucks ass lol.

On the bright side my grey Mags, 2* Thor and Modern Caps got great levels because of drops, but now in out of Iso-8 and not spending another $50 in cash

toneroni

I did a few shield matches but they don't update my overall score. Only the screen after each match is updated.

Guess I should be doing work anyways ;/

Ha, I currently have 283 in Heavy Metal. One of my choices to battle is a team consisting of IM40 212, Patch 141 and CMags 141. And if I beat him I get 16 points! Nice matchmaking system, *honk honk!

1382032630188.gif

(The team I'm running is IM40 45, Patch 79 and Daken 69, btw)

zulux21

C mag is on the chopping block too

yup given the other nerfs we have seen I am expecting cmags to end up as follows
blue move costs either 8 or 9 with the covers now slightly upgrading the strength of the protect tiles at max level putting down protect tiles at strength 75-100

the red move will cost 6, maybe destroy 6 tiles, and do around 400 extra damage

the purple move I figure will stay mostly the same, expect only do about 25% of the damage it currently does.

also hot damn 13 hours later and still rewards @_@

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Have they explained why they are spending their time balancing 3* characters instead of more problematic 2* ones that affect the majority of users? Like OBW?

I just got my solo rewards BTW.

Askani

I'm suddenly regretting leveling my C.Storm to 85 last night before I fell asleep. Her blue now overrides OBW for damage and stops Espionage.

EDIT :::::

Wait, they are both 45 damage at 85. Why does one overwrite the other one?

zulux21

Have they explained why they are spending their time balancing 3* characters instead of more problematic 2* ones that affect the majority of users? Like OBW?

I just got my solo rewards BTW.
the only major issue with OBW is that there aren't more characters like her, she isn't all that broken on her own (aka we need more healers for more choice) but I won't deny that she isn't solid in general... if she had double the hp then she would need some adjusting but you can usually kill her before she does anything.
beyond that 3 stars are their bread and butter and characters like spidy and mags break the game allowing teams to do way better than they should.
I'm suddenly regretting leveling my C.Storm to 85 last night before I fell asleep. Her blue now overrides OBW for damage and stops Espionage.

because you had classic storm in the middle slot and widow somewhere else.... I don't remember if slot 3 or slot 1 takes priority next... but what slots you have characters in matters.

Askani

because you had classic storm in the middle slot and widow somewhere else.... I don't remember if slot 3 or slot 1 takes priority next... but what slots you have characters in matters.

Well huh. I never knew that mattered. Thanks for the info.

I guess I'll ask, what's the priority then? Right to left or Middle then something else? Or is the Middle slot the only one that make a difference?

Bairds

Neo Member
HAHA oh you currs. I've been sitting on 5y/0b/3p Classic Spider-man for what seems like months and guess what I pull off of a standard token today?

His friggin blue stun power. That is what we call in the business, a dick move.

zulux21

HAHA oh you currs. I've been sitting on 5y/0b/3p Classic Spider-man for what seems like months and guess what I pull off of a standard token today?

His friggin blue stun power. That is what we call in the business, a dick move.

if you quickly spend 5khp you could use his stun to full effect for a few days :p

zulux21

the best few days ever! I never bothered to level him because I figured he would get the nerf bat sooner or later

yeah I debated a bit when I got to 4/4/1 on my mags if I should level him, but I said F it and just bought him up to 5/5/1 and leveled him up to 70... he is currently at 90... I don't think I will go any higher until I know what's going to happen to him though.... I think I am starting to see D3's master plan though....

Slowly nerf the original 3 star characters....
after you nerf them into the ground and the current newer 3 star characters are all that are used because they are more powerful... slowly nerf them to original 3 star levels... then the new current 3 stars will be the most powerful and rinse and repeat so people always want the newest ones because all the old ones got nerfed to crap....

I still feel the rags nerf was to hard... Yes he was broken and stupid scary... but now he is often the last person I kill because I just don't care if he lives... he just doesn't do anything... he despertly needs a third power that is good to make him decent again :/

Bairds

Neo Member
yeah I debated a bit when I got to 4/4/1 on my mags if I should level him, but I said F it and just bought him up to 5/5/1 and leveled him up to 70... he is currently at 90... I don't think I will go any higher until I know what's going to happen to him though.... I think I am starting to see D3's master plan though....

Slowly nerf the original 3 star characters....
after you nerf them into the ground and the current newer 3 star characters are all that are used because they are more powerful... slowly nerf them to original 3 star levels... then the new current 3 stars will be the most powerful and rinse and repeat so people always want the newest ones because all the old ones got nerfed to crap....

I still feel the rags nerf was to hard... Yes he was broken and stupid scary... but now he is often the last person I kill because I just don't care if he lives... he just doesn't do anything... he despertly needs a third power that is good to make him decent again :/

Likewise, I see a high level Rags in PVP event and just kill the guys around him. If he is using his green/red abilities its a lesser evil then having those saved up for his teammates abilities.

animus82

Banned

Daaang Askani.

Honest mistake there. I'm only leveling her to 84 myself...

I guess you could start a second one.... It's not the best option but it's at least something.

Why not pair her with the hood so he shields her and the hood feeds her blue?

zulux21

So season 1 is ending I see.

No fury for us. Maybe next time. We've been doing better the last few weeks so we'll probably get top 100 next time.

It's not like Fury is usable and I'll probably get one from a random pull sooner or later.

In other news:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=761654&page=5

Go to post 241. Pretty funny. To celebrate lazy daken.

there is a little over 3 days left, the iron man tourney, the shield sim, and likely a daken tourney to go before the season is over and we are only 20 places from the top 100 if we make a serious push there is still a chance... that being said... I am quite busy for the next oh..... 11 days >.> (i'll still make time to get 500+ points in iron man but I am not sure how many beyond that)

Daaang Askani.

Honest mistake there. I'm only leveling her to 84 myself...

I guess you could start a second one.... It's not the best option but it's at least something.

Why not pair her with the hood so he shields her and the hood feeds her blue?
he was complaining because she was covering widow when he wants widow to be the main force out there for espionage.

Spoit

Well huh. I never knew that mattered. Thanks for the info.

I guess I'll ask, what's the priority then? Right to left or Middle then something else? Or is the Middle slot the only one that make a difference?

center->left->right

shugdaddy

Neo Member
Manages to transfer my save.

Still no daken. Did a quick 100 on iron man, mines level 105 pre boost so should be able to overpower a lot of the field.

Got my Heroic 10 pack:

Iron Man M40 blue (needed this, now 5/3/2)
Astonishing Wolverine green (dupe)
MN Thor red (think I am happy at 4/5/4...or should it be 5/5/3?)
Moonstone purple (selling)
MN Thor yellow (see above)
OBW Blue (think I am going to change from 5/3/5 to 5/4/4 and maybe get to 5/5/3)
Modern Cap blue (have 4/5/4...is 3/5/5 better?)
Ares green (already 5/4/4)
Bag Man yellow (selling)
X-Force Wolverine green (going from 1/5/0 to 2/5/0)

I guess overall it wasn't terrible - 2 definite useful, 3 possibly useful.

Bairds

Neo Member
Started the Iron Man event this morning, currently sitting at 600. Will probably follow up later today after work. Breezing through it with a 141 hulk, 180~ buffed IM and the usual 85 OBW

I prefer 5/5/3 myself, because I usually use him with somebody whose green ability I'd rather use... either Patch or one of the Storms. Therefore I might as well have the other two maxed. Some people really love Thor's green, though, and it IS powerful. I just like to keep the Storm/Thor battery going, so I usually only use it as a finishing move.

Spoit

I prefer 5/5/3 myself, because I usually use him with somebody whose green ability I'd rather use... either Patch or one of the Storms. Therefore I might as well have the other two maxed. Some people really love Thor's green, though, and it IS powerful. I just like to keep the Storm/Thor battery going, so I usually only use it as a finishing move.

Most of the love for the green comes from the gold version. The main thing is that you have 5 yellow though

Askani

center->left->right

Interesting. Good to know. Thanks.

Got my Heroic 10 pack:

MN Thor yellow (see above)

Personally I like 5/5/3. His green is nice, but I'm usually pairing with C.Storm or A.Wolverine who's greens I feel like I get better use from. I'm not telling you to change it, but just some anecdotal evidence that 5/5/3 makes me happy. 5 yellow is the important thing, Any combo of 3/5/5 or 4/5/4 or 5/5/3 should be fine for you. Depends on your play style.

OBW Blue (think I am going to change from 5/3/5 to 5/4/4 and maybe get to 5/5/3)

I don't care so much for the damage from the 5 black. I much prefer the full steal and to be able to heal through countdown timers if I need to. 5/5/3 is the way to go IMO.

I don't care so much for the damage from the 5 black. I much prefer the full steal and to be able to heal through countdown timers if I need to. 5/5/3 is the way to go IMO.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think fully upgrading espionage causes matches to do extra damage. Even if you're not into black, it's easily worth it. Especially when you have damage tiles down.

And it's better to keep the Purple low. It gets more expensive the higher the level.

animus82

Banned
IMO, 5 purple is just too slow with OBW.

And the black doubles damage from strike tiles

Spoit is correct, 5 is too slow.

At 3 Purple. You can out gun/heal and steal from your opponents OBW.

AND you will be fighting a lot of OBWs with your OBW.

5 in black with a boost will have her hit dudes for 350~ damage per gem match.

Askani

Well, let's look at her Purple:

At level 3, costs 8 and steals 3 and steals Black. On average it's three matches for a use.
At level 4, costs 10 and steals 4. So that's four matches for use.
At level 5, costs 11 and steals Purple. Still four matches for use.

Then look at Espionage:

At level 3, steals 1 Black AP when making a Black match.
At level 4, deals damage when making a Purple/Blue/Black match.
At level 5, increases damage when making a Purple/Blue/Black match.

With Espionage, you're probably going to steal at least 1 Purple from your matches to cast. That makes your level 4 Purple now three turns. Odds are they had three Purple in their pool because of a match. You stole one so they still have two left and your next Purple match will steal another. That makes the level 5 also only three turns. On top of that, you're making every other special move of all your characters up to 4 AP cheaper, including now OBW's steal from level 5 which you can now do again in 7 more AP.

On top of that, if you choose to stack Blue/Purple at the beginning, you're guaranteeing a three turn steal that steals four.

The extra damage from matches is nice and noticeable for sure, but I much prefer to shut down all of the other teams abilities. It just fits my playstyle better.

But like anything, it all comes down to your style. Again, I won't say my way is the best, but it's been working for me.

If you are in PvP against another OBW, getting your pink off before hers is so, so clutch. I feel like I've had matches that I've lost explicitly because they cascaded into a pink use before me. I ain't risking any extra turns on that thing,

This bracketing is still biting me in the ass. Now all I'm fighting are 141 teams when my strongest guy is 110. I'm not even high in the rankings and can't really do much because I'm fighting nothing but maxed out teams.

Shit sucks. Why am I even leveling my characters if it just means I'm gonna be bumped up to fight these guys that will obliterate me? I am far less likely to place in anything at this rate, which is the opposite of progressing my characters. And likely to hurt my alliance contributions. At least pair me up against like levels. But really, it shouldn't be matched at all. Randomly group people in brackets, that way it actually means something if you have the best team.

If you are in PvP against another OBW, getting your pink off before hers is so, so clutch. I feel like I've had matches that I've lost explicitly because they cascaded into a pink use before me. I ain't risking any extra turns on that thing,

Exactly. I win most of my matches because I'm the first one to steal. If they get it first, it's gonna be a rough battle.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
This Versus series 1 reward list is super lame.

The 10-pack is nice.. but there's ZERO motivation to push for more... GAF-Kanda isn't going to get a Fury... not with how crazy the top alliances are.

..and seriously WTF with the jump from 5k to 7.5k for 500 ISO? Really? Then another 2.5k for 50 HP?

Get out of here with that crap... just not worth the effort or time. You can 3 run a LR and get 370 ISO and a token in like 2 mins. Grinding 2500 points in the versus is pointless.

Sometimes it feels like the game is balanced way too much towards the power players.. and as someone a step above casual it sucks.. can't imagine what a casual once a day or once every few days must feel like paying this and having no progress.

cobell

This bracketing is still biting me in the ass. Now all I'm fighting are 141 teams when my strongest guy is 110. I'm not even high in the rankings and can't really do much because I'm fighting nothing but maxed out teams.

Shit sucks. Why am I even leveling my characters if it just means I'm gonna be bumped up to fight these guys that will obliterate me? I am far less likely to place in anything at this rate, which is the opposite of progressing my characters. And likely to hurt my alliance contributions. At least pair me up against like levels. But really, it shouldn't be matched at all. Randomly group people in brackets, that way it actually means something if you have the best team.

Exactly. I win most of my matches because I'm the first one to steal. If they get it first, it's gonna be a rough battle.

Not sure if they've updated the ranking system with these other updated, but the old way to avoid the maxed level teams is to play in the ranked pvp matches and purposely do nothing in them beyond playing 1 (or some other very small number) ranked match.

This is to try to balance your position between wins and losses, because if you do start doing really well frequently, you get stuck in the higher brackets with maxed teams.

It's a bit harder to do this with alliance rewards, but there are simply brackets out there that aren't worth the effort to be put into if you constantly do well. Lighting rounds are the ideal ones to do terrible on because those haven't been tied to alliances so far.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Not sure if they've updated the ranking system with these other updated, but the old way to avoid the maxed level teams is to play in the ranked pvp matches and purposely do nothing in them beyond playing 1 (or some other very small number) ranked match.

This is to try to balance your position between wins and losses, because if you do start doing really well frequently, you get stuck in the higher brackets with maxed teams.

It's a bit harder to do this with alliance rewards, but there are simply brackets out there that aren't worth the effort to be put into if you constantly do well. Lighting rounds are the ideal ones to do terrible on because those haven't been tied to alliances so far.

I typically get to 100 on LR's.. then tank like 4 matches on purpose. Doesn't take long.. and keeps me at a decent MM level it seems.

Spoit

Yeah, Don't think tanking works any more

3 match level 5 espionage are dependent on the enemy having a lot of purple stocked up, And if you already stole 3 from making the matches, odds are they won't have another 4 stockpiled for you to steal with the ability.

Whereas with a 2 match one, you're getting it off pretty frequently, and if you're not taking the 4 with your power, they'll usually still keep enough on hand to keep stealing with the match ability.

I could maybe see an argument for 5/4/4, but seriously using her black with strike tiles is one of the best combos in the game right now. OBW/Laken is going to be pretty scary

animus82

Banned
Why are *** referred to as "lazy"?

Well for either of two reasons:

1) Creators are lazy. Make a lazy three star. Same powers (minor changes) lazy from a design perspective.

2) Lazy Thor has a more of a gut than 2 * Thor. So people called him "lazy" as in he doesn't work out as much. I think he even has like a fatter face too.....

So, for those two reasons.

Top Bottom