• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillty

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
I think in the case of ME2 though it's different then what happened with ME1. ME2 PC version was constructed in such a way that it benefited from what the PC platform had to offer ( KB / M) and not just a straight port from the 360 version.

That's pretty much the reason that they've given in interviews and such as to why they excluded gamepad support for ME2.
unless they patched mass effect pc later on, it didn't have 360 pad support either.

I don't blame them... I played the 360 version first and after playing with the pc version I realized how atrocious those 360 controls were.

ME2's keyboard+mouse controls are great.

Cday

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
I think in the case of ME2 though it's different then what happened with ME1. ME2 PC version was constructed in such a way that it benefited from what the PC platform had to offer ( KB / M) and not just a straight port from the 360 version.

That's pretty much the reason that they've given in interviews and such as to why they excluded gamepad support for ME2.

I find that tough to swallow but we'll see.

Swag

Valru said:
unless they patched mass effect pc later on, it didn't have 360 pad support either.

I don't blame them... I played the 360 version first and after playing with the pc version I realized how atrocious those 360 controls were.

Yeah they didn't, sorry if I wasn't clear enough but I wasn't trying to say that they added it in later. I didn't enjoy the 360 controls as much as the PC but considering what they had to work with I think that they did a good job.

To each their own I guess

Kabouter

Orbitcube said:
I'm just going to put this here. (minor spoiler about something you can buy)

YOU CAN BUY A MOTHER FUCKING SPACE HAMSTER HOW FUCKING AWESOME IS THAT

There's also fish. Try to get friendly with the ship's counsellor until you have dinner with her in your cabin. She'll then offer to feed your fish, you WANT THAT. Unless you like scooping out dead fish and having to buy new ones every time you forget to feed them.

Peronthious said:
One thing that is annoying me seeing footage of the game.

Cosmetic changes based on alignment.

I know the fiction at the beginning is supposed to back it up, the whole
killed in attack, reconstructed by cerberus, etc.
, but that doesn't at all explain your face coming apart just because you happen to be evil. At least in KOTOR and KOTOR II the cosmetic changes could be explained away by the force. The ME universe is supposed to be "realistic" without those metaphysical trappings.

It's probably explained away by the biotic talent somehow aligning with your brain chemistry and reacting to your morals. Yes, Bioware, that totally explains how the character has ripped apart skin and bright red eyes just because they happen to hit people around a bit too often.
You can upgrade the medical bay of your ship to allow you to heal all your scars, regardless of alignment

hyduK

Banned
Well. Finished my playthrough earlier today....amazing, really.

- Story/presentation wise, this games on a completely different level. I was blown away. Everything is presented so well. I didn't see one bad cutscene the whole game....and I can't possibly describe how good the cutscenes at the end are.

- The characters are awesome. I was really disappointed when I learned that most of the first crew wouldn't return, but this team really brought it to another level.

- The gameplay is a lot better, in every way. I know a lot of people are worried about lack of customization, but don't. Yeah, there's a bit less of a choice when it comes to placing points around and stuff, but you won't even notice. The combat is so much smoother...everything from shooting to cover. Commanding your squad is a lot smoother as well, didn't have any pathing issues.

- It took me 14 hours to finish. I just did a straight playthrough, mainly because I wanted to see the story. I'll be importing a character tomorrow and playing through doing all the sidequests. For comparisons sake, my first run on ME1 (also just a story playthrough) took 9-10 hours.

Story specific spoilers:

It really ups the anti with the choices. By the end of my game not only did half my team die, but I lost the WHOLE Normandy crew besides Joker.

Garrus returning was AWESOME. An epic moment for sure, unfortunately he died...his death was also one of the better ones though. Ashley also makes a cameo (assuming you saved her), though I pissed her off when I told her I had joined Cerberus.

The collectors base is fucking amazing. Everything that happens there feels so epic. The game just gives you decision after decision to make...Illusive Man wanted me not to blow up the base, but I basically told him to fuck himself and cut him off, and blew it up. No idea how that will affect the story since he's basically your boss in the game (and the reason you're brought to life). I was actually surprised, I was anticipating him backstabbing you, but it didn't happen.

ME3 can't come soon enough, but I hope they do take their time. I can't even imagine how much work has to be put into the story with all the major player decisions. By my count there's the 3 major decisions from the first, and about five or so more from the second that will absolutely change the story. I'm anticipating a huge battle at the end of ME3 with cameos from everyone that's ever been on your team (and didn't die obviously).

Can't imagine anything beating this out for GOTY...GOTG for that matter.

AstroMan

Banned
So I have a question,

I lost three people in that final mission. Grunt, Subject Zero and Jacob. Could I have lost more? Could I have lost none at all? Does their level have any effect on if they live or die? I want to play through it again but I don't want to risk my AAA people (like Grunt).

Rhino

So if you import a character from ME1 how does your Paragon/Renegade alignment affect your ME2 Shepard?

Wrex

Swag

For those that finished ME1 and started a New Game+ I have a question. If I save the game when I'm towards the end and complete it, then go back and reload that save will I get 2 end game saves that I can choose to reload?

I'm asking because I want to do a renegade play through to compliment the paragon play through that I've already done, but I don't want to start from the beginning with no previous skills or anything like that. But I also want my Paragon playthrough to import into ME2.

Basically I want to have my cake and eat it :lol

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Wow, I should not have read some of those spoilers, oh well still playing the game this coming Tuesday.

My mission to beat the game again and replace my lost save is going well. I started on Friday and should be finished tomorrow afternoon (just have Virmire and then the end stretch left).

I'm so hyped for Mass Effect 2. My pre-load on Steam is almost complete.

birdman

Sebulon3k said:
For those that finished ME1 and started a New Game+ I have a question. If I save the game when I'm towards the end and complete it, then go back and reload that save will I get 2 end game saves that I can choose to reload?

I'm asking because I want to do a renegade play through to compliment the paragon play through that I've already done, but I don't want to start from the beginning with no previous skills or anything like that. But I also want my Paragon playthrough to import into ME2.

Basically I want to have my cake and eat it :lol

Every time you finish the game you get a new end game save to continue from. I've got 2: 1 from my 1st where I got to level 50 and my second one where I got to 59. I went Paragon in one and Renegade in the other.

demifiend

Those of you who marked what the spoilers actually contain, thank you. I have highlighted far too many spoilers that seemed to be disguised as silly jokes. Tuesday can't come soon enough.

Swag

birdman said:
Every time you finish the game you get a new end game save to continue from. I've got 2: 1 from my 1st where I got to level 50 and my second one where I got to 59. I went Paragon in one and Renegade in the other.

So it doesn't matter if I reload a save file say from the room right before
Saren
it will still give me another save file to continue from?

hyduK

Banned
AstroMan said:
So I have a question,

I lost three people in that final mission. Grunt, Subject Zero and Jacob. Could I have lost more? Could I have lost none at all? Does their level have any effect on if they live or die? I want to play through it again but I don't want to risk my AAA people (like Grunt).
Not sure. I lost The Professor (sent him through the vents, I THINK that guy dies no matter what). I also lost Garrus (I chose him to lead the second squad, again I think whoever goes in that place always dies). I lost Tali when the Normandy got attacked...that didn't happen to you so who knows about that. I lost Thane, I forget exactly how that happened...

Technically you could be without Grunt to, I think...if you don't wake him up. So that makes 5 possible deaths out of 11 (with DLC) party member. That I can count, at least.

OmegaFactor said:
hyduk, how are the side-missions. Do you get really good rewards (either items or more info about the story)?

I only did the required side-missions.
Each person you recruit has a specific side-quest...there's a point where you have to do a few of them for the story to trigger. Nothing to special in terms of rewards, but the storylines are generally great so it's worth doing. Also, I don't think these side-missions are quite the same as the more traditional side-quests, which I did none of so I can't comment on those.

birdman

Sebulon3k said:
Saren

I'm pretty sure you don't need to. The game saves the status of your current end game.

hyduK

Banned
neojubei said:
Wow, I should not have read some of those spoilers, oh well still playing the game this coming Tuesday.
If you're referring to mine, I'm sorry. That being said, find comfort in the fact that nothing I wrote can compare to how epic it all is when it actually happens.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
neojubei said:

Same here. Even though I don't want to know the spoilers, I can't help but highlight those damned black bars.
See?
:lol

For the person that was asking, if it hasn't been answered - to get the achievement for Loyalty of a team member, you just have to beat their side quest nothing else.

Also the sexual tension between Shepard and
Kelly
is palpable.

hyduK

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
Kelly
is palpable.
Amen. I'm still wondering if you can hit that or not. I know I screwed up at one point in the dialogue....but I'm not sure it leads to anything.

Still got with Miranda though

Swag

birdman said:
I'm pretty sure you don't need to. The game saves the status of your current end game.

Ok thanks, I'm trying it out now hopefully it works because I really don't want to start from the beginning with no skills

gillty

Banned
Kelly
is palpable.
I spent so much time trying to get
female shepard with her
until i realized it was not possible :lol someone call the dragon age team we need a patch!

MacBosse

I'm sorry that I'm lazy guys but I got a question!

My Mass Effect 1 save got corrupted so I won't be able to continue from that one but it seemed like in the IGN video review that I could just make a new character and "edit in" the choices I made in the first game. Mass Effect 1 spoiler :
Like saving the council or not.
Is that correct?

Swag

MacBosse said:

My Mass Effect 1 save got corrupted so I won't be able to continue from that one but it seemed like in the IGN video review that I could just make a new character and "edit in" the choices I made in the first game. Mass Effect 1 spoiler :
Is that correct?

You are correct, it lets you pick all the major decisions I believe.

Ephemeris

Sebulon3k said:
Saren
It works just like you want it to. I saved beat the game, reset it while the final convo was going on, reset it and beat it again and watched the credits. When I checked I had two endgame saves that were minutes apart.

Oh, I reset it because I wanted to change Anderson and go with the renegade option; seems like it saves as soon as you decide.

hyduK

Banned
MacBosse said:

Is that correct?
Kind of.

You can choose what happened to the council.

However, if you make a male it automatically assumes you saved Ashley...and if you make a female it assumes you saved Kaiden

JWong

Banned
They fixed pretty much a lot of what I hated in Mass Effect 1. Especially the shooting.

God knows why Borderlands picked up the miserable shooting mechanic based on stats.

hyduK

Banned
Also, BioWare...if you're reading. There absolutely must be a catfight scene in ME3 between Miranda and Ashley (or whatever two characters the player has a love interest with). No reason to pass up this perfect opportunity.

Take back what I said, I almost feel like there's actually less mission variety in this game than the last one. Nine times out of 10 you're ending up in a shooting match / battle with enemies. Thankfully, the environments are more diverse.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
hyduK said:
If you're referring to mine, I'm sorry. That being said, find comfort in the fact that nothing I wrote can compare to how epic it all is when it actually happens.

Don't worry about it, its just that now I am considering buying the collector's edition strategy guide.

It's weird, I almost feel like there's actually less mission variety in this game than the last one. Nine times out of 10 you're ending up in a shooting match / battle with enemies. Thankfully, the environments are more diverse.

Were there other mission types in ME1? Or do you mean there's nothing like "Oh, hey, I need my wife's body, bro. Help a spaceman out."

Swag

Ephemeris said:
It works just like you want it to. I saved beat the game, reset it while the final convo was going on, reset it and beat it again and watched the credits. When I checked I had two endgame saves that were minutes apart.

Awesome it worked just the way I was hoping :D

Question for those that have finished the game (Romance Spoiler very minor)

Are there any woman on woman relationships possible, like with Miranda or Sub zero? Or is it limited to males only

AstroMan

Banned
hyduK said:
Not sure. I lost The Professor (sent him through the vents, I THINK that guy dies no matter what). I also lost Garrus (I chose him to lead the second squad, again I think whoever goes in that place always dies). I lost Tali when the Normandy got attacked...that didn't happen to you so who knows about that. I lost Thane, I forget exactly how that happened...

Technically you could be without Grunt to, I think...if you don't wake him up. So that makes 5 possible deaths out of 11 (with DLC) party member. That I can count, at least.

Here's how I lost my squadmates:

-I had Jacob in the vents, he got shot in the head trying to close the door.
-I lost Subject Zero because I had her be the Biotic protecting the other team
-I lost Grunt when he was carried away by those bugs. Maybe it was due to his size?

I know it's silly to bitch about losing game characters, but I really like Grunt, Tali, Garrus, Thane, Legion and Mordin. I'd also like to see them in Mass Effect 2. Especially Garrus because he's the fucking man.

I guess we have to wait until more people have the game, then we can match up playthoughs and see what effects who. Dunno how you lost Tali in the Normandy attack. All My squad mates were off the ship and it was just joker and the other humans.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
BenjaminBirdie said:
Man, Pinnacle Station is a pain in my dick. How on Earth are you supposed to beat a Time Trial best time?

IT'S UNPOSSIBLE!

Pinnacle Station offers the hardest challanges in the game by a long shot, not just because of the general difficulty but because of the retarded spawn points in some of the challanges.

Lower the difficulty.

EatChildren said:
Pinnacle Station offers the hardest challanges in the game by a long shot, not just because of the general difficulty but because of the retarded spawn points in some of the challanges.

Lower the difficulty.

Doesn't that mean it won't count as a Normal Playthrough?

L1GhTz

Neo Member
just asking the people that have already played the new mass effect , would you say its imperative to have played mass effect to understand the story and plot of mass effect 2?

hyduK

Banned
AstroMan said:
I guess we have to wait until more people have the game, then we can match up playthoughs and see what effects who. Dunno how you lost Tali in the Normandy attack. All My squad mates were off the ship and it was just joker and the other humans.
Sorry, it was after you enter Omega 4 and get attacked in there that I lost her. Regardless, no idea what triggered it...I had the upgrade to the ships armor too.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
BenjaminBirdie said:
Doesn't that mean it won't count as a Normal Playthrough?

Why wouldn't it? It counts as a 'playthough' from what I know, you just wont get any achievement if you were going for a Hardcore or Insanity run.

I recently completed ME for a second time, having lost my saves, and lowered the difficult for Pinnacle Station. Achievement for a second playthrough still popped up.

EatChildren said:
Why wouldn't it? It counts as a 'playthough' from what I know, you just wont get any achievement if you were going for a Hardcore or Insanity run.

I recently completed ME for a second time, having lost my saves, and lowered the difficult for Pinnacle Station. Achievement for a second playthrough still popped up.

Awesome! Thanks, EC!!

MacBosse

hyduK said:
Kind of.

You can choose what happened to the council.

However, if you make a male it automatically assumes you saved Ashley...and if you make a female it assumes you saved Kaiden

Haha ok, well that would suit me well since I was a male and ...
Kaiden had to go.

hyduK

Banned
L1GhTz said:
just asking the people that have already played the new mass effect , would you say its imperative to have played mass effect to understand the story and plot of mass effect 2?

It's kind of hard to judge, really. There's a lot of small references that you'll appreciate...walking through cities you'll hear people mentioning events from the last game...but they do a pretty good job of covering the main story.

So, it's definitely a plus to have played it...but don't let the fact that you haven't stop you from playing ME2.

AstroMan

Banned
hyduK said:
Sorry, it was after you enter Omega 4 and get attacked in there that I lost her. Regardless, no idea what triggered it...I had the upgrade to the ships armor too.

That's fucking strange. Did you get every ship upgrade?

EatChildren

BenjaminBirdie said:
Awesome! Thanks, EC!!

I cant confirm it doesnt count as a 'playthrough' but I dont see why it wouldnt.

L1GhTz

Neo Member
i actually owned mass effect and started to play through it , but i then encountered a bug where the game would not progress any further so i just gave up , i was contemplating purchasing mass effect 2 and most probably will but thanks for the piece of info.

hyduK

Banned
AstroMan said:
That's fucking strange. Did you get every ship upgrade?
Not every one...just the mineral scanner and the ship armor. I think there was one more...but iirc it had to do with the med bay, which I can't see affecting that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom